ORIGINAL Tempus Fugit- A Cycle Reborn

Thread: ORIGINAL Tempus Fugit- A Cycle Reborn

Into Dreams

Default ORIGINAL Tempus Fugit- A Cycle Reborn

Rating: PG13- Contains Violence and cursing

Introduction: I have been working on this fic for several months, and now, it is finally being posted. Stealing this fic and posting it elsewhere would flatter me, for a minute, then I'd be angry so don't swipe it. Uh... Darn, I got nothing cheasy to say... Meh, just read the fic.

CHAPTER 1:
    Cracks in the Path

An emerald field stretched across the land, completely detached from the enormous city near by. Wind danced along merrily, pushing white tuffs of clouds across the sky, their shadows following suit.

A young man lay on the grass, his green eyes running across the horizon, absorbing everything from the high mountaintops to the glimmering ocean to the north, barely visible. His short, brunette hair had dirt and grass on it, defining his adventurous attitude.

Beside him was a rough, spherical rock. Or so it seemed. In synchronicity with Ryan, his master, she looked at the horizon with her own brown eyes. The geodude also had two primitive arms, their seemingly carved fingers digging into the ground to meet the cooling humidity of the dirt.

Ryan looked at the blazing sun, trying to determine what time it was. His eyes bulged as he realized how late it was. “Gen, we must go, it’s past noon!”

Gen reluctantly floated up into the air, and glided along after Ryan, heading west to the city.

No one in the right mind went outside. It was disgustingly humid and sticky, and the heat only worsened the situation. To the north ominous clouds were moving in on the city, bringing rumbles of thunder and the promise of heavy rain.

Yet still it was a big day for many, in Avent City as well as everywhere else. Children filled with naïve dreams came to a large red building located downtown that day. Located on a hilly shopping street, the building boasted a friendly atmosphere. The sliding glass door had a circle on it; the upper half was red and the bottom white. The children cringed with excitement as they saw the Poké Ball, knowing that shortly they’d have one. Everyone was excited, all except Rachel.

Why am I doing this, she thought as she slapped her face. She stood slightly taller than the rest of the children. She was older too. Her brown eyes squinted in the sun as she waited for the door to be unlocked, her eyes unused to staying in the sun, as seen in her pale face. She tried her best to stay out of the crowd as the air around her was thick and stank of perspiration; it was humid to a point that even her blonde, neck-long hair was frizzy. Rachel ran a hand over her hair, pushing a strand of her darker highlights running down her mostly blond hair.

Law required that a child acquire a Pokémon and leave their homes to pursue a career by the age of sixteen. Rachel had turned sixteen just last fall and could avoid this law no longer. To any typical child this insured that their parents would not stop them and was therefore great for them. Rachel was the only one in the crowd who felt that the law was insane.

Earlier that day Rachel was complaining about what her mother forced her to wear: a navy blue sleeveless blouse, and a short green skirt. However now she was grateful that she was not wearing the full denim jeans she normally wore. It was hot enough as it was.

Finally the door slid open and hundreds of children poured into the large, welcoming building, their excitement escalating. The room was not what the outside made it seem. The building was once an old laboratory, and had been converted recently. The outside was the first to be remolded, but the interior was not complete yet. From what Rachel had heard, this was better than the small makeshift building used in the past years.

The inside was large and spacious but rather primitive looking. It was very poorly lit, relying on large windows to light the room. Instead of the bright ceramic tiling everyone expected, the floor was made up of large floorboards, rough and musty-looking with age. They seemed greenish in the poor lighting. Wood columns were spaced out in the vast, rectangular room. In front of the first wooden column was a glossy table, overfilled with papers and spheres much like the one on the door.

A tall, aging woman was there, apparently waiting. She held a clipboard with a piece of paper. The sheet of paper was a chart, with the names of all the children due to get Pokemon on it. She took a breath and spoke in a stern, but not shouting voice, “Welcome children. I know you are all excited to get your Pokemon. If you’d all sit down on the rug and wait for your name to be called, you’ll be off quickly.”

Rachel rolled her eyes and took a seat on the long rectangular rug. A short boy spotted her, and his blues eyes sparkled. Rachel noticed this and sighed.

“Hi Rachel,” said the red haired boy, a smile stretched across his face.

“Hey Jake…” Rachel replied reluctantly as Jake took a seat next to her.

It took several minutes for the mob of children to get seated and even so the woman had trouble gaining order.

“So how come you don’t want to get a Pokémon,” said Jake amid the insanity.

Rachel gave him a quick look before responding. “I really rather be doing something else with my life… something that doesn’t involve Pokémon. Besides… I am only going to be disappointed in the end.”

“What do you mean?” replied Jake curiously. But Rachel did not answer as the woman had begun to talk again.

“Hello. I am Mrs. Talm, a representative of the Pokemon League,” she said in her loud voice, “I know why you are here today. You are here to set off on your own journey, to contribute to society. And it all begins here. Here is how we will give you your Pokemon. You have all done during your school curriculum, a test to see what Pokémon you are best suited too. Those of you who are older than the age of twelve-” Gazes fell upon Rachel “-Have taken this test multiple times and their results have been averaged, as they are number coded.

Now, when I call your name you will go get a Poké Ball from that desk-” She pointed to the desk by the column “-And go to the side of the room and wait. After everyone has a Pokemon you’ll be paired up with your travel partner.” Whispers immediately broke out among friends. Those with more tact simply pointed to someone and pointed to themselves and then nodding. Rachel did not do a thing. She was now lost in thought. Great. I completely forgot that I am going to be stuck traveling with some obnoxious kid.

Mrs. Talm began to read names of her list, miserably mispronouncing them, and one by one kids skipped across the room squealing with delight as a man at the desk handed each a Poké Ball.

“Jake Roleno” Mrs. Talm called out, putting to much emphasis on the ‘e.’

Jake quickly got up and walked slowly to the desk. His posture was slightly off; he was not standing up straight as he normally did. Rachel quickly determined that he was nervous.

He took the Poké Ball from the man and walked across to the other side of the room where he joined the other kids.

Mrs. Talm had to repeat Rachel’s name twice before getting her attention. “Rachel Crador!” Mrs. Talm yelled on the final time she called her name. Rachel slowly got up and walked to the desk where the man was sitting. His face was wrinkled, and old. His small face lit up and his cheeks seem to grow when he smiled. The smile was a gift, warm and inviting. Rachel ignored it as she took the Poké Ball, without even a thank you.

She then turned and briskly walked to the line on the other side of the room. Unlike most children, the Poké Ball she had just received did not fascinate her. It was, of course, the same red and white sphere one could see on TV. And it was not new to her; during some courses in school students would have to battle with rental Pokemon. So what, Rachel wondered, intrigues these kids so much?

A few minutes later everyone had been given Pokémon. Despite all the excitement however, no one was allowed to see what was inside. Though she didn’t care, Rachel could not help but feel curious about what lay inside the small orb. A marvel it was. To have technology capable of condensing the largest of creatures into a small sphere, no bigger than a baseball. Ironically Rachel was the only person among them to really notice this, despite that, she only wondered, she convinced herself, it was not fascinating, just interesting. All the other children, including the wide-eyed and curious Jake, were to busy fantasizing what was inside it. Most guesses were incredibly unlikely, while some were not outside the realm of possibility. A rattata, a charmander, anything simple and controllable could be inside one of those Poké Balls there.

Of course not many people took into account that the Pokemon that they will be getting will match and suit them. Some children that were bullied more often than not were more likely to get a meeker Pokemon, despite their wishes for something tough.

“Now, we will move on to the next stage of this operation,” Mrs. Talm began, causing all clouds of thought to dissipate, “You will now be paired up with a travel partner, you are to remain together at all times. Should anyone of you get lost or separated, report to a police officer immediately. Is that clear?”

A rather dull yes replied in unison. Mrs. Talm began to read of names, the partners almost coming out at random. It was easy to see that no thought was put into this. Even the rather dull Jake understood this. Still, it did not dilute any excitement.

“Jake Roleno and Rachel Crador.”

Rachel felt an agonizing pain come to her as these words left Mrs. Talm’s lips. “Aw shit…” Rachel murmured under her breath. She could imagine all sorts of things that could happen, traveling with Jake, who was, in her own words, an overly optimistic, idiotic excuse for a human being.

Rachel became frantic, only barely hiding her distress. Jake’s response, on the other hand, was very much different. He was happy for one reason or another. Though Rachel did not notice this.

It did not take long for the pairs to be made, and before anyone knew it they were led outside. Much to Rachel’s relief, it was now cloudy, thunder was occasional, and a few drops of rain were beginning to fall. Despite this, it was still hot, and the humidity had certainly gone up.

“Now that you have your Pokémon and partners, it is time for an annual tradition, of the School Board of Monac Town,” Mrs. Talm began, not surprisingly, mispronouncing Monac, “It is called the Academic Battles. These are battles to help the partners get used to battling along side each other. Find a pair to battle against within five minutes and the battles will commence."

“Hey, Rachel, how about we battle?” said a rather nasal voice from behind Rachel, “Oh yeah I would win because I know more about Pokémon more than you and your partner.”

Shit, thought Rachel. She turned to find Danny behind her. He was the very model of a geek, greasy, unkempt, glasses. He had everything down to the pocket protector in the pocket of his collared shirt, but there was something that made him different, a head full of egocentric pride, for this Rachel loathed him. But his partner was what bugged Rachel most, Lanny.

Lanny was sweet, understanding and incredibly likable. She had beauty and smarts, straight A’s and radiant blond hair; in a word, inhuman. Lanny was too perfect for Rachel’s liking, she like herself and Danny, had decided to wait until she was sixteen to start her journey, but for reasons Rachel was unsure of. Danny, of course, was an open book, he had stayed back for school, not for knowledge though, Danny was apparently above learning, which was in a sense true, as he already knew most of the material that would be learned when he was twelve. He had remained for bragging rights, for perfection, he had stayed so he could laugh his ass off about how much better he was then everyone else. He was incredibly pretentious, and, as one could argue, completely justified to be.

Jake was completely unaware of the tensions between the three teenagers, or at least the tensions Rachel had with the two teens. Nonetheless he was the first one to reply. “Of course we will battle, me and Rachel could-”

“Rachel and I,” corrected Danny, interrupting Jake.

“Rachel and I could beat you-“

“Can, though to be realistic it should be can’t.” Danny corrected once again.

Jake opened his mouth to continue, but Rachel stopped him. “Fine, we'll battle you.”

A man stared at the beige wall of the room he was in. He slumped in a wooden chair, shined and smoothed to perfection. There was a clash between the man and the chair. While the chair was perfect and uniform the man was ragged, his chin was covered with growing facial hair, and his once emerald eyes were gray and diluted.

He sighed and turned away, straightened his position on the chair and looked at a piece of parchment in front of him, sitting on a desk similar to the chair. His tired eyes scanned through the letter he had written.

Dearest wife,

I am to be a bearer of bad news. At a meeting of superiors Our Lord gave a speech. “My heart is deep in a sorrow, as I bear the bad news that Capital of Humanity is splitting. Beginning on the end of this year, we will be two nations. The Capital, and the Separate Union.”

What awful news! This means that growing city you are in now shall no longer be with the Capital. This is perhaps a good thing. Ever since the-

The letter ended there. And the young man decided that it was far to late to finish it.

“Come Gen, time to go to sleep,” he called to a geodude, sitting in the corner of the small boxy room of the Inn. The man pushed in his chair and picked up a candle that had been burning on the desk. He held it by the golden handle that elegantly formed a base which held the burning taper, a white-ish yellow. Slowly the man walked across the room to an opening that led to a smaller room where a bed and drawer were placed, both empty. He placed the candle upon the drawer and slipped into the small hey bed. He blew out the candle and tried to sleep.

The loud clanking of machinery however, made this hard. That and the racing of speedy metal carts, all floating along the dusty streets, covering cables that carried the energy to the entire city. It was the Capital of the Known World, mankind’s very first hurrah.
    Last edited by NiGHTS_; 28th August 2005 at 08:53 PM.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

An interesting start. You have some minor grammar mistakes ("passed noon" instead of "past noon", "to much" instead of "too much"), but nothing major.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

A very auspicious beginning here. I'm interested to see how the 2-on-2 battle turns out, as well as how Rachel adjusts to life on the road, a life that she didn't choose.

Into Dreams

Well chapter 2 is already written... 2 on 2 battles are hard for me to write ><

Anyways, interestingly enough Rachel is likely to adapt better than most others, but I won't say much.

IN case you don't know though, Lanny And Danny are jokes on Mary-sue's and Gary-stu's.

The next chapter will probably be up next week, once I finish chapter 3.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

My first thought at reading Lanny's description was "Oh, a Mary Sue. Yikes." Parodying characters like that is always good, though.