ATTENTION: New Awards Categories - Voting

View Poll Results: Which two categories do you want to be entered into the Awards?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Best Pokemon Character

13 72.22%
  • Best Romantic Coupling

11 61.11%
  • Best Contributor to Written Word

11 61.11%
  • Best Academy Lesson

4 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New Awards Categories - Voting

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default New Awards Categories - Voting

Hello everyone

As you may have been aware, we are looking into adding new categories to the Awards in order to make them a tiny bit broader and include more people and more stories in the celebrations. We have four categories for people to vote on, and we ask for you to vote on one of each from each category to help us decide which categories we will choose.

DECIDED BY JUDGES:
    Best Pokemon Character: An award to highlight the important of writing Pokemon characters in your fan fiction, and will award characters/authors who bring us Pokemon that have personality and significance to a plot
    Best Romantic Coupling: A category that has been suggested a few times. An award to highlight the writing of a particular romance within your story.

DECIDED BY PUBLIC VOTE:
    Best Contributor to the Written Word: An award designed to highlight on a person that provides interesting discussion on a variety of writing issues, is helpful with answering questions, or provides joyful conversation in the General or Book Chat. Will be user submitted ala Best Reviewer and Newcomer
    Best Academy Lesson: All writer's of an Academy Lesson published between Awards is automatically entered into this category, and users will vote on the lesson they felt was most helpful and informative.

Now, depending on how many votes we get, this may decide what categories move on or us moderators will simply use the votes given to help us decide. We do not want to make things to crowded so only one from each category will move on, so please vote wisely. I will make it so you can vote twice but do not vote for the both awards in a category, that defeats the purpose of this exercise. REPEAT: DON'T VOTE FOR MORE THAN TWO AWARDS

You have a week to cast your vote. On September 30th user submissions will begin for starting the short list of nominees.
    Last edited by AceTrainer14; 18th September 2013 at 05:27 PM.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Awards Categories - Voting

I'm not so sure about the best romantic coupling personally, but I can see the possibilities with the other three categories.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I voted for three of the options, including Best Romantic Coupling, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high for that one. I don't think enough of us write romance. People have expressed either not being interested enough in it or something and my academy lesson on the subject didn't get much attention at all (;_;). So yeah, I'm not expecting that one to win. xP

But Best Academy Lesson sounds great! But mine will probably never win it for obvious reasons. lol

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I actually would like to see the Best Romantic Couple category, I think that we should add a little more romance to this mix so that we can encourage it more.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

People, I did ask NOT to vote for three of the potential awards: vote for either Pokemon or Romantic, and either Contributor or Academy Lesson. We want to see which one from each category is most popular and voting for three is not going to help.

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I only voted for two *shot* sorry about that xD;

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flaze View Post
    I only voted for two *shot* sorry about that xD;
    You were meant to only vote for two :P

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have a question about the Best Pokémon Character category. One of my fics features a number of human characters who can change into Pokémon, a Pokémon character who was once human (and technically still is), and a character who is portrayed as a human throughout the majority of the story but turns out to be a Pokémon in disguise. Which, if any, of these characters would be eligible for that category?

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Oh crap, I'm sorry about that, AT! I was in a rush earlier and didn't think to read the thread through. >_<

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnyo View Post
    I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask, but I have a question about the Best Pokémon Character category. One of my fics features a number of human characters who can change into Pokémon, a Pokémon character who was once human (and technically still is), and a character who is portrayed as a human throughout the majority of the story but turns out to be a Pokémon in disguise. Which, if any, of these characters would be eligible for that category?
    I was imagining the category as being a solely Pokemon based character and to focus on the writing of Pokemon as more than just nameless soldiers sent out to fight. I think depending on how the Pokemon that was once human was written it would be eligible, the one that was in disguise not as it was human and the others would depend on how much time they spend as Pokemon. However, they would still be eligible for Antagonist/Protagonist/Supporting.

Blog Entries

I can't believe people are actually voting Romantic Couple over Pokemon Character. :/

Also an idea occurs: Couldn't Academy lessons count as a Written Word contribution?

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

If we go by that logic, Written Word contribution would take the lead in the poll.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

I was imagining the category as being a solely Pokemon based character and to focus on the writing of Pokemon as more than just nameless soldiers sent out to fight. I think depending on how the Pokemon that was once human was written it would be eligible, the one that was in disguise not as it was human and the others would depend on how much time they spend as Pokemon. However, they would still be eligible for Antagonist/Protagonist/Supporting.
    Okay. What about characters in fics that center around Pokémon and depict them with human intelligence/the ability to speak, like in PMD?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MegaLugion View Post
    I can't believe people are actually voting Romantic Couple over Pokemon Character. :/

Also an idea occurs: Couldn't Academy lessons count as a Written Word contribution?
    People are allowed their own views, and both categories have their merit. And the difference between the two awards is that Academy Lesson is an automatic nomination solely for the four or so people that wrote a lesson, while contributor to the WW is meant to be more for discussions and that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahnyo View Post
    Okay. What about characters in fics that center around Pokémon and depict them with human intelligence/the ability to speak, like in PMD?
    I think those would have to be allowed, but my goal for this Award is for the writing of normal Pokemon but giving them a personality. Pokemon characters like the ones you described are still able to be nominated at the Awards and several have won Best Protagonist in the past. The finer details of each award will be worked out once we know if they will actually be going through.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    People are allowed their own views, and both categories have their merit. And the difference between the two awards is that Academy Lesson is an automatic nomination solely for the four or so people that wrote a lesson, while contributor to the WW is meant to be more for discussions and that.
    Like, I'm not talking down romantic fiction, but this is a Pokemon forum. I would think that treating Pokemon as actual characters would be more important to members here than romance. But in the end, it doesn't really matter.