The Neighbors

Thread: The Neighbors

Default The Neighbors

The Neighbors
    A horror serial by Patwell James. Rated PG-13.

Chapter One - Lorelle's Lament

Northwest of Goldenrod. What else could she say? People were constantly sending 17-year-old Lorelle Sherman e-mails and messages asking where it was she'd disappeared to. Northwest of Goldenrod was always her answer. Everybody with even a passing knowledge of the Johto region had heard of Goldenrod City – it had a gym, a department store, a radio tower, a high-traffic train station, everything someone could ask for in a modern city.

The town Lorelle actually lived in had none of that. There were lots of trees, a hill, a pond, five houses, and a single general store. No paved roads, no Pokemon center, nothing interesting. If only her parents hadn't needed to take those jobs in Goldenrod, she'd still be living in the relative hustle and bustle of Hearthome City. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd actually been able to live in Goldenrod – but no, all the apartments were full and buying a house there would be far too expensive.

So now she, her mother, and her father were stuck in Akebia Town. Their house was nice, sure; a three-story Dutch Colonial with a big fireplace, three bedrooms, and a spacious basement. It was also obscenely cheap to rent, probably because of the location. The landlord lived somewhere in Ecruteak City, and, as far as Lorelle knew, had never even been on this piece of property.

Even though Akebia Town was fairly new, it had a distinctly old, dusty feel to it – all the houses looked like something you'd see in some awful horror movie from the 1970s. There was no Wi-Fi, and even with the Goldenrod tower nearby, the cell phone reception was spotty. The worst thing about the town, though, was that there was NOBODY in town she could relate to. The entire town was two rows of three buildings. Up on the hill was Lorelle's house to the east, a smaller, single-story house belonging to 54-year-old Mrs. Carriarty to the west, and a large, unoccupied, green home between them.

At the base of the hill next to the pond sat the second row of buildings: The general store on the east, a small cottage belonging to the store's owner, 39-year-old Mr. Jarrod next to that, and the two-story brick house belonging to the only other family in town on the west.

At first Lorelle had been hopeful upon learning there was another family in town, but like everything else about her new life, that had turned out to be a disappointment. The Browns were a family of three like hers; the 22-year-old Christina Brown, her 25-year-old husband Tyler, and their 4-year-old son, Jamie. A picture-perfect, boring as hell family.

It was October 4th, the seventh night Lorelle had lived in Akebia, 11:13 PM. She layed down in the bed, set against the outer wall of her third-floor bedroom between two large quarter-moon windows. It took twenty minutes for her to fall asleep. It took five minutes after that for the third-floor window in the abandoned green building next door to light up, a faint shadow seeming to stare out towards Lorelle's house. Nobody in the town of Akebia saw it that night... but some of them knew it was there.

I need beer money dammit! Rob Anybody's Avatar

Default Re: The Neighbors

is it a pokemon?
    I don't calculate stat values, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are. I just play the game normally. If you agree copy & paste this in your sig.

ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY HYPNOTOAD!

Garrus Vakarian Facts

My Fic: Fabricati Diem, Pvnc Help a struggling writer! Read and review! Constructive criticism is much appreciated!

Feel free to speculate, but I'm certainly not going to spoil the plot right after the very first chapter!

I need beer money dammit! Rob Anybody's Avatar

Fair enough.
    I don't calculate stat values, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are. I just play the game normally. If you agree copy & paste this in your sig.

ALL BOW BEFORE THE MIGHTY HYPNOTOAD!

Garrus Vakarian Facts

My Fic: Fabricati Diem, Pvnc Help a struggling writer! Read and review! Constructive criticism is much appreciated!

nice....although i fail to understand it....could be a little longer..............