Kris vs Gold: A Tale of War - Snow - Page 15

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Kris vs Gold: A Tale of War - Snow

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kris vs Gold: A Tale of War

Hey guys! Sorry for a very long delay, but Kris vs Gold is back, and there are only a few chapters left, so I hope you enjoy the series while it lasts :D A quick reminder to have a flick through Left Behind to get a better understanding of two of the characters that will feature in this story. Also, I've had to cut the mysterious trainer out from the storyline, as I have fixed up the GalacticVerse's timeline and realised the character,
    , can't have logically appeared. Sorry if you were looking forward to that, but there is more focus on Kris and Gold now instead :D So enjoy!

Kris Soul was learning, very quickly, that when you’re in a rush, you don’t get a chance to admire the view.

Kris was sprinting through the dusty streets of Blackthorn City. The city was located around mountains, similar to Mahogany Town, giving it the feeling over being towered over by giants. However, only the back of the town was enclosed by the rocky cliffs and peaks. At the front of the town, a magnificent view was provided to anyone who looked in that direction. A magnificent blue river, starting its life in the mountains, crept between two different paths of grassy fields and sky-reaching trees. Route 45 went downhill, so it allowed distant views of New Bark Town and the surrounding oceans, which would sparkle with a golden hue at either sunrise or sunset.

The rest of the town was very beautiful as well. White and brown cottages seemed to rise out of the light brown ground, scattered around the mountaintop city in a more randomized way that modern cities. A Pokemon Center and PokeMart were the most modern looking buildings around, as the city didn’t have the burden of roads, skyscrapers or overcrowding that many other Johto cities had. All the necessities in life were happy, and it was the perfect way of life for the residents, and perfect for tourists who wanted to escape the hustle and bustle.

And today, Kris was the fastest thing moving.

It had been a week since her dramatic battle in the middle of Mahogany Town. Kris was still rather shaken up by how horribly Gold had treated his Pokemon, and how terribly he had lost the plot, and for a few days it had dwelled on her mind during lull periods. She had known him to be violent, but the way Gold had acted then was terrifying, and Kris worried for the next time they battled.

But something more pressing had happened to take up all her thoughts.
    Latias had not awoken since using Mist Ball during the battle. The Eon Pokemon wouldn’t even leave her PokeBall at times, and when Kris did send her out, Latias simply lay weakly on the ground, eyes shut and her breathing slow and unsteady. It hadn’t helped that for the last few days Kris had been venturing through the Ice Cave, the coldest, most frozen place in Johto. The maze of ice-covered tunnels had been difficult to navigate, and only Magcargo had been able to withstand the cold, providing Kris with warmth, light and a strong battling partner.

But now she was in Blackthorn, and was desperate to find a solution to Latias’ issues. Kris was relieved to be in the city, thought she completely bypassed the Pokemon Center. People stared at Kris as she ran by, her calm and sensible state of mind completely gone. But Kris didn’t care what people thought as her legs began to ache after ten minutes of running on hard ground, her arms swinging wildly and her bag whacking into her back as she sprinted. I must be close now, Kris thought, beginning to wheeze slightly. There was a stitch in her side, but she had to keep going… for Latias… she just had to – Finally!

There, on top of a small hill, was the Blackthorn City Gym.

“YES!” Kris puffed, so relieved to be here she didn’t even get frightened by the gym’s appearance. It was a gigantic structure, clearly the largest building in the city, and nearly stretched from one mountain to the other. It was made from carved stone that had been painted jet black, with heavy wooden doors providing the only visible entrance in. A weathered sculpture of a shiny Charizard covered the entire roof, with eternal orange flames burning on its stone tail and in its eyes. Too many people it was a frightening, hideous and unnecessary, but for Kris, at this moment, it was the most beautiful thing in the world.

“We’re here now Latias!” Kris whispered, still out of breath, to the Ultra Ball clasped firmly in her hands. With a sigh of relief, Kris walked up the mild slope and towards the gym. She didn’t care about having a gym battle yet: she just wanted to see Clair and find the solution to Latias’ issues. As Kris got closer to the doors, she realised someone was standing there: a young man, dressed in black leather robes with matching leathery black hair, was next to the doors, grasping a wooden staff in his hands.

“Hello,” Kris said warmly, figuring it would’ve been rude to ignore him, and approached the door ready to enter. But her hand had barely touched the surface when the staff appeared right in her face.

“No entry,” the young boy said. Kris paused, surprised, and stared at him: the leather clad boy looked around fifteen, and had rather handsome features underneath his jet black hair. His eyes were a blue not unlike the river flowing behind them, contrasting strangely but in a rather entrancing way against his pale skin and dark hair. All thoughts of Latias disappeared as Kris found herself taken aback by the handsome doorman, and stood staring for a few minutes, the boy giving her a quizzical look.

“Why can’t I enter?” Kris said after a while, coughing in a nervous manner.

“Clair is not in the gym, therefore it is currently closed,” the boy explained, ignoring Kris’ blank state. Kris let out a soft gasp of shock and disappointment. She needed to see Clair urgently, why wasn’t she here? She clutched Latias’ Ultra Ball even harder in her disappointment, which quickly turned to anger.

“Where is she? When will she be back?” Kris huffed, in what she would reflect back later as being a rather Gold thing to say. But Kris had been travelling for days to get help, and didn’t want to pause now. The boy’s thin eyebrows narrowed, and he clutched the staff tighter in his hands.

“Madam Clair is in the Dragon’s Den,” he explained. “She will be back in a few hours. A special contest is being held, and it will take some –” but than the boy froze, his eyes wide with shock, and Kris released her excitement must have shown on her face. The boy clearly didn’t want Kris to know there was a contest going on, but she didn’t care: if Clair was nearby, than she could possibly still get the help she needed.

“Is the contest still open?” Kris asked excitedly. “Where’s this Dragon Den?” The boy’s angry scowl softened suddenly, turning into a smirk: handsome, Kris thought, but rather arrogant at the same time.

“Obviously not local,” he chuckled, and lowered the staff. Kris frowned at him, annoyed at this remark, but was surprised as the boy tapped thrice on the door before walking past her. He moved several metres before pausing and turning, realising Kris wasn’t following him. “You want to enter the contest, don’t you?”

“Oh, yes yes, of course!” Kris gasped, and quickly followed after him. A creaking sound behind her, and she turned to see another black robed worker had replaced him at the door. Kris was impressed by the efficiency, and happily followed the boy through a grassy passage between the gym and one of the mountains.

“What is your name?” The boy asked, his staff clunking against the hard ground.

“Krystal Soul, but I go by Kris,” Kris explained, and the boy nodded.

“The name’s Spike,” he said, and Kris couldn’t help but let out a laugh, though she quickly stifled it. Spike turned and glared at her before continuing walking: they emerged on the edge of rectangular lake the same size as the gym, and Kris guessed from two platforms on opposite ends that battles occasionally took place here.

“Sorry for laughing,” she said as they walked along the lake’s edges. Spike merely shrugged.

“I’m used to it. I use to be called ‘Pointy’, ‘Sharpie’ and ‘Vampire’, so a few laughs won’t hurt.” Kris smiled, and the two continued their journey around the lake in silence. Kris was reflecting on how beautiful the near-glowing blue lake was when Spike gave a little cough: he had turned into a stone archway set into the mountain. Kris quickly followed him in, noticing some text was carved into the arch, but it had long been weathered away and only the word DRAGON remained. She wanted to dwell on it, but after walking only a few feet in, other thoughts crossed Kris’ mind. Sunlight had almost instantly been cut off, replaced with darkness that threatened to crush her. Only dim blue flames set in brackets against the stone wall provided light, but it only highlighted the rough stone floor that Kris unsteadily waddled across. It wasn’t a particularly pleasant place, and Kris hoped she’d be back in light soon.

“Mind your step,” Spike’s voice sounded distant but near due to the ghostly echo, and Kris tried to see where he had gone. Suddenly, she felt a sensation of airiness in her stomach, followed by a falling feeling, and Kris put her hand out just in time to stop herself from falling down a staircase that had appeared from nowhere. As her hand wrapped around a mossy stone banister, Spike’s handsome face was illuminated in a ghostly manner beneath her by more blue-flamed brackets. He laughed, half his face shadowed, before moving further down and leaving Kris scowling.

“You could have warned me!” She fumed as she regained herself, following him down a spiralling staircase.

“I did… just not in time,” Spike called back up. Kris let out a furious growl and she marched down after him. The blue flames barely lit up the space, and Kris was afraid of stumbling down, especially as Spike’s footsteps got fainter.

“How much longer does this spiral for?” Kris shouted, unaware that she was rounding the last bend as she spoke and stepping onto flat land, instantly freezing.

Kris had entered an underground wonderland. It was quite clear that it was a cave area: huge sections of rock rose out of the ground, whilst hundreds of stalactites hanging like stone daggers above her head. Small bridges and rough stone steps connected the different rock sections to each other, many of which had small, different coloured houses and shacks scattered across them. People in robes similar to Spike’s, though they came in blue, red and purple as well as black, were walking between these buildings, exchanging items and small talk. A gigantic lake, about three times the size of the one she had walked past moments before, yet it still was able to glow despite being metres underground. The brilliant blue light easily outshone the varying colours of flame, and Kris spun around, marvelling what was being illuminated, when she saw the main attraction.

A building, about the size of a football field, was situated at the far end of the cavern, half in the lake and half on land. The walls and surrounding deck were made entirely of wood, with no windows and no obvious metal additions, and was painted a brilliant blood red. The tiled roof was high and pointed, with an undistinguishable dragon head rising out, and was painted a blue that looked grey next to the dazzling water.

Kris couldn’t believe what she was seeing, and simply stood there for nearly two minutes, marvelling at the spectacular community she had just entered.

“Pretty impressive, isn’t it?” Spike’s voice sounded next to her, and Kris turned towards him, beaming broadly. She nearly dropped the Ultra Ball to the ground in the new found excitement rushing through her.

“This is the Dragon Den?” She asked, and Spike nodded.

“This cave has been around for centuries, and has been owned by the Dragon Elder’s for centuries. We created this community in order for dragon trainers to live and train together in harmony: the townsfolk don’t like it when we accidentally destroy their houses,” Spike explained, and Kris smirked. “Clair lives down here when she isn’t at the gym, and about fifty other workers and trainers live down here as well. Lance grew up here as well,” Spike added, and Kris let out a gasp that echoed around them: she absolutely adored Lance, the Dragon Master and Johto League Champion. “The current Dragon Elder is his and Clair’s grandfather, and their father was gym leader before Lance, who ran the gym for years before Clair took over.”

“That’s amazing!” Kris gasped, her eyes darting around the cave as several Dratini splashed around in the lake. She absolutely loved this place, and was practically shaking with excitement about simply being here.

“Glad you like it,” a feminine voice smirked behind her, and Kris spun around, jaw dropping.

Clair the Blackthorn Gym Leader was standing behind her.

Kris was left speechless as Clair smiled warmly at her, her turquoise blue hair hanging perfectly around her face. Her face was rather pale, though Kris guessed that if she lived underground that was a given. The rest of her body was currently covered in a large black cape, wrapped tightly around her body with gold trimming along the edges. Kris had no idea what to say, though Clair filled the silence for her, her purple lips moving in an elegant manner.

“Are you here for our Orienteering Contest?” Clair asked sweetly. Kris noticed a Dragonite was bobbing around the air behind her, staring rather seriously into the water. She had always admired the beautiful dragon type, and remembered having a squishy plush doll of it as a child. “Kris, are you going to join?”

“What?’ Kris said stupidly, thoughts of going to see if Dragonite was as squishy as her doll leaving her mind. Spike rolled his eyes as he moved around to stand next to Clair. “Orienteering...? Wait! How do you know my name?” Clair chuckled softly, her lips twisting into a cute little smile.

“I knew both of your parents through the Elite Four,” the gym leader explained, wrapping an arm around Kris and leading her forwards, Spike quickly following alongside. Kris felt a pang around her heart at mention of her parents, and looked around to try and block out thoughts of her father. All of the robed people were congregating nearby, with three normally dressed people standing in a huddle next to a wooden desk. “Great people, sorry to hear about your mother’s cancer. I think I sent her a card…” Clair came to a stop as she tried to remember, and Kris stared as the Dragonite fluttered over, his eyes still focused on the lake behind them.

“Is everyone here for the orienteering contest?” Kris asked.

“Ah, yes!” Clair said happily. “Yes, it is quite a big deal here, so I hope that you do sign up Kris. We don’t have that many people for this round…” Kris was getting annoyed about being pressured into this, and was about to ask what the contest actually was when one of the three people turned around at the sound of her name. In an instant, Kris seized up. She felt the Ultra Ball pulse in her hand as if Latias’ heart was beginning to beat furiously as well. But Kris wasn’t thinking about getting Latias fixed anymore: a sense of nervousness and anger was rising up and mixing together inside her head and heart, and Kris had no idea what to think. But as Gold Hartley smirked arrogantly at her, all Kris knew was that it seemed her decision had been made for her.
    Last edited by AceTrainer14; 29th July 2011 at 04:48 PM.

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Whoa, Gold's there!
    Didn't expect that plot twist at all. Just one tiny issue I noticed

“Glad you like it,” a feminine voice smirked behind her, and Kris spun around, jaw dropping.
    I'm not sure you can smirk something...it's a minor issue though. Your grammar and spelling are both fine. This chapter may have not had a huge amount of action, but I enjoyed it all the same. It was well written and flowed smoothly. I really must wonder, though, what is going to happen to Latias. Kris seems to be taking a bit of a Hartley angle by not healing her immediately.
    I also enjoyed some of the humor portrayed...the townspeople don't like it when we destroy their homes...well, I guess I'd be just a bit annoyed if a meteor landed on my house.
    Where this chapter shone was, though, in description. If you ask me, you've outdone yourself in describing this chapter, it paints a picture in my mind. It's astounding, to be quite frank, and I'm really impressed! Great job!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Im glad you liked the chapter though :) And Kris didn't go to the Pokemon Center because she believes there is nothing they can do as it is a very odd illness that Latias has come down with, and she is a legendary Pokemon that a Pokemon Center wouldn't be adapt in dealing with. She is going straight to the experts in hope that they will fix Latias for her

Blog Entries

No,
    But Kris wasn’t thinking about getting Latias fixed anymore: a sense of nervousness and anger was rising up and mixing together inside her head and heart, and Kris had no idea what to think. But as Gold Hartley smirked arrogantly at her, all Kris knew was that it seemed her decision had been made for her.
    I mean that even in the Dragon's Den she's not doing it.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Ah, sorry. That is just Kris having a slight moment of weakness: just because she is thinking about Gold doesnt mean she isnt going to heal Latias. And it was the end of Part One: I'd apprecaite people didn't the story/characters when the rest of the story isn't up yet., Which should hopefully be later today :D

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked this chapter, as it was a nice break from the angst-ridden Kris, until the end, that is.

But on a serious note, the only thing I found weird, or stood out for me, was how Kris was suddenly interested in the opposite gender, after having spent most of her time thinking about how to beat Gold. Did you intend chapter to be a sort of "Kris without Gold on her mind" chapter, or was it just coincidence?

Trophies
    Blog Entries

It was a whirr of a movement decision as I was thinking about what to put into this chapter. I figured that Kris is a teenage girl, and she has never really been around attractive guys during her journey, and I wanted to explore a more feminine side of her that didn't really involve tears

Blog Entries

Alright, it was a weird thing to see, mostly because it was sudden, but I can see what you mean, and I think it's a good addition to the story.

I just hope we eventually see Kris get rid of her grudge and anger and move on with her life, beyond Gold.

Blog Entries

Alright, it was a weird thing to see, mostly because it was sudden, but I can see what you mean, and I think it's a good addition to the story.

I just hope we eventually see Kris get rid of her grudge and anger and move on with her life, beyond Gold.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Kris needs closure. She needs closure about her father and Ruby. The all important Homecoming episode that is next will deal with these issues, but these things also mean she and Gold both need closure abotu the other. Kris isn't the only one with issues: Gold has poured just as much, possibly more, into trying to best Kris and has focused entirely on this. The two will eventually face off in one final battle, but that's as much as Im saying ;)

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the delay, but its the weekend now, and I hope Part Three will come a lot sooner :)

“What are you doing here?” Kris said, as Gold walked forwards, beaming broadly: he looked far too happy, especially after his psychotic breakdown last time they met, and Kris didn’t like it.

“Why, I’m just here for the orienteering contest, aren’t you?” Gold replied casually. Kris glared at him suspiciously, but Clair clapped her hands together and grabbed both of them by their shoulders.

“Wonderful, you two already know each other!” She said happily, and looked at Kris with her wide smile. “So you shall be joining your friend now, won’t you?” Kris looked across at Gold, who was still smiling weirdly. She had been wondering about his odd behaviour and terrible treatment of his Pokemon in Mahogany Town since the battle, and wondered if that had had anything to do with Latias’ illness. That’s the main reason why I’m here, Kris thought, staring down at the Ultra Ball in her hands. It seemed she wouldn’t get her answers unless she took part in this contest, and it could allow her to get a better understanding of Gold’s state of mind.

“Why not,” Kris shrugged, and Gold smiled just as widely as Clair did.

“Excellent!” She cried. “Thank you for bringing her Spike, you are dismissed,” Clair added before pulling Kris firmly over towards the other two contestants, who were filling out forms on the table. Kris glanced back at Spike, who gave her a friendly nod and a wink before merging in with the crowd. As they approached the table, the two people turned around, smiling warmly at Clair. There was a boy who clearly hadn’t hit puberty yet, though he was rather tall for a boy of his age, with inquisitive eyes and dyed orange-blonde hair that stuck up like a flame. The second person was a teenage girl, around fifteen or sixteen, with a long black ponytail keeping her hair in order, and a warm smile across her roundish face. She was wearing a tight green bathing suit that hugged her curves with a pink jacket over top, whilst the boy wore a red shirt and orange swimming trunks.

“Kris, this is Jericho and Alexis,” Clair said, and Kris shook hands with Alexis.

“Hey there!” Alexis said with a smile. “I work for Professor Elm as a research assistant, I’ve heard all about you!”

“I’ve been getting that a bit today,” Kris laughed. She extended her hand towards the little boy Jericho, who rolled his eyes and shook it, though he didn’t look that friendly, causing Alexis to whack him lightly.

“Sorry, he’s not too excited about doing this,” Alexis explained, glaring down at Jericho. “But it is meant to be a heap of fun!”

“If it’s fun, why are we signing anti lawsuit forms?” Jericho grumbled. Kris’ eyebrows shot up, but Clair simply laughed and gave Jericho a gentle pat on the shoulder as she walked towards the table.

“There have been a few small accidents in the past, nothing major, until last year…” Clair said, her smile faltering slightly. “But it was all fine: the doctor fixed his arm so it didn’t have to be amputated…” Kris and Jericho’s jaws dropped, and even Alexis looked a bit uneasy, but Gold simply let out a booming laugh. “Don’t worry guys, you’ll be fine!” Clair reassured, and she climbed onto a spare chair and grabbed a wooden megaphone off from the table. However, the babbling robed people around the contestants all fell silent, staring at Clair with their utmost attention. Clair’s Dragonite floated along behind her, still looking fairly distracted, and Kris wondered why it wasn’t getting involved like its trainer.

“Alright everyone,” Clair boomed, “we know have four people necessary for our special contest to go ahead!” There was a smattering of applause through the crowd and Kris went to clap, but Alexis shook her head before giving Clair her fullest attention again. “Our four competitors, Kris, Alexis, Jericho and Gold, are all competing for a meeting with the Dragon Elder, along with the day’s other prizes including…” Clair paused as two blue purple robed men rushed forwards with several boxes. But Kris didn’t care about any other prizes, as the first prize mentioned captured her entire attention. A meeting with the Dragon Elder… that was like meeting ten Clair’s and five Lance’s all at once! If anyone could fix Latias, Kris knew it would be him. She was no excited about being a part of this contest, and couldn’t wait to hear what Clair had to see next.

“Ah, here we go!” Clair called, grabbing the prize box. “First prize is $10,000 in prize money, for you to spend on your heart’s desires. Second prize is $5,000 and your choice between either the rare Dragon Scale or the even rare Dragon Gem from Johto!” ‘Dragon Scale’ rang a bell in the back of Kris’ mind, though she couldn’t quite put her finger on what it might be at the moment, her excitement taking over. “Third prize will be either the Dragon Scale or Dragon Gem, and fourth prize, well… its all about the fun, isn’t it?” And the robed mass let out a collective laugh that Kris thought seemed rather forced, as if Clair had made the joke before.

“Hurry up!” Jericho mumbled, and Alexis flicked him on the neck, a scowl on her face. Gold was staring eagerly towards the prize box, practically ignoring Clair’s words, and Kris smiled to herself as she knew why he had signed up.

“In order to win these prizes, the competitors must get to all three checkpoints hidden around the Dragon’s Den,” Clair explained. “They’ll be given a special card that they will insert into a machine, which records their process. When they have gotten to all three checkpoints, they must race to the finish line at the main Dragon’s Den House,” and Clair pointed towards the huge red and blue house. Kris stared at it admiringly, and thought it was a rather perfect place to go to.

“All trainers may only use four of their Pokemon during this match,” Clair continued. “I would recommend a Flying type, a Water type and a Pokemon you can possibly ride. All Pokemon are allowed to attack other Pokemon, but not to cause serious harm towards the trainer. Trainers may not punch, kick, stab, bite or attempt to wound or harm the others in any way (Kris’ eyes bulged at this, and she could see Jericho looking like he had been slapped), as we want this to be a nice, safe and fun game,” Clair explained, and the robed people all nodded. “Now trainers, come collect your cards, choose your Pokemon, and receive your clues!”
    Kris gasped as Alexis and Gold rushed forwards and grabbed their cards: one minute to plan a complete strategy! Cursing under her breath, Kris acted quickly. Using Clair’s clues for guidance, her hand dived into her bag and grabbed the appropriate PokeBalls: Meganium, Noctowl and Seadra were soon in her hands, and Latias’ replaced them, the sickly Eon Pokemon not going to help with this. Unable to decide on anyone else, Kris rolled a mental die and added Magcargo’s to her pocket. Her Pokemon sorted, Kris frantically looked through the crowd for Spike’s face, and was able to see his electric blue eyes nearly glowing due to the blue lake.

“Spike, hold this please!” Kris wailed, practically throwing her bag towards him. Spike looked rather stunned, but nodded and put the bag at his feet.

“Good luck,” he called out, giving her a reassuring smile. Kris giggled a bit too obviously, blushed, and rushed towards the table to grab the remaining card. Clair smiled down at her, and then turned her attention towards the other three trainers.

“As you have probably gathered from what I said, you’ll be going into both the water and flying up towards the cave roof,” the Dragon gym leader explained. “The three points are in a triangle: one is in the water, one is on the cave roof, and the final one will be on land opposite from where you found the water one.” Alexis mumbled a ‘yes’, clearly glad about her early change to swimwear. “I would recommend you find the one in the water first, as then it would be much easier to find the rest,” Clair continued to explain as she unfastened the black string around her neck. “You understand the rules, you have your Pokemon: let the contest begin!” And Clair whipped her cloak off, revealing a tight blue dress that cut off around her legs that matched her hair and the spectacularly coloured lake perfectly. The mass of robed people let out a roar, and Kris had barely blinked before Alexis and Gold had turned and stormed off. Two PokeBalls soared through the air behind her, the red light and energy lighting up the rock around her. A fabulous white Dewgong formed next to Alexis, sliding into the water, whilst a fearsome Pokemon came from Gold’s: it was taller than him, with a rather fit, muscular body that could easily crush him. It was mostly blue, except with a cream coloured jaw, making up half of its huge and powerful mouth. Beady eyes matched the sharp, ferocious looking teeth, and long blue claws and red spikes on its back and tail added to its frightening appearance. In an instant, Kris knew that this Pokemon was a Feraligatr, the final evolved form of Totodile and Meganium’s water counterpart. Gold looked over at Kris as she stared and gave her the tiniest of winks before grabbing hold of one of the spikes, Feraligatr giving Kris his own glance before sliding into the water. A shiver went down Kris’ spine as the two moved through the glowing water. Feraligatr looked simply monstrous, almost deadly, and knew it wasn’t a good Pokemon for Gold to have on his team.

“Come on Kris, don’t fall behind!” Clair yelled as she ran past, jumping onto Dragonite’s back. Kris nodded, remembering she was in a competition, and quickly moved forwards. She fumbled as she pulled Seadra’s Ultra Ball out, a million other thoughts rushing through her mind: Gold, Feraligatr, the contest, Latias, Spike, getting to the Dragon Elder… it was all too much. Kris had to focus, and tried to push thoughts and questions about Gold and the vicious looking Feraligatr out, and drew in instead thoughts of winning and how to do so.

“Seadra, come on out!” Kris cried, flinging the Ultra Ball onto the water. She kicked her shoes off as the yellow light shone, and Seadra formed in the water. Next to her, Jericho leapt into the water on the back of a Poliwrath, who began to paddle.

“Dra Dra?” Seadra asked, staring around at the bustling and noisy scene. Kris was watching as the other three trainers made fair progress using Surf to get far, searching quickly in order to find the card locations. Seadra didn’t know Surf yet, so Kris would have to settle for the second best option.

“Alright Seadra, we are looking for something to put this into,” Kris explained as she kicked her shoes off and held the card up for Seadra to see. She stared at it and nodded. “Excellent, now we need to try and find it first! And we can go underwater, and it seems like they can’t! So let’s use Dive and get cracking!”

“Seadra Dra Dra Sea!” Seadra called, and her body glowed blue. Kris jumped into the sky, the den rising up with her, and landed on Seadra’s head. She shut her eyes as she felt weightless, than a crushing feeling enclosed her body that quickly softened. Smiling, Kris opened her eyes.

She was underwater.

Most experience Pokemon that used dive could turn completely to water and would wrap around their trainer’s body in the liquefied state, allowing them to be dragged around easily and slip through cracks if need be. Seadra wasn’t quite as experienced yet, but a watery barrier was now completely over both her and Kris, keeping her dry and allowing her to breathe lightly. And Kris was able to see: the lake was just as beautiful as it was from above. The deep floor was glowing, clearly some sort of mystical jewel across the lake floor that provided spectacular light. Small caves were scattered all over the place, and Horsea and Dratini families were skirting through them all. It wasn’t quite an aquatic wonderland, but it was so calm and peaceful that it was beautiful in its own way.

“Alright Seadra,” Kris said, her voice working perfectly. Her hand was practically surgically attached to Seadra, who was waiting patiently for orders. “I think we should just search the area,” Kris suggested, not sure what else to do. Seadra simply nodded, and quickly she shot off, dragging Kris behind her. Though the lake was clear and bright, there was nothing obvious around that Kris could see would be part of their contest. Many Dratini and Horsea began to follow them, swirling around them and dancing playfully. Kris wanted to watch them more, and would gladly accept any opportunity to come back to this magical place, but at the moment she just wanted to find the place for the keycard so that she could move on.

“Maybe we should try and look overhead, like the others,” Kris suggested meekly, “or maybe look into one of the caves…” Kris stared up at the spiked tail of Feraligatr, the elegant fins of Dewgong and Poliwrath’s gloved hands pounding the water: she didn’t want to join them, follow their guides. Being underwater was giving her a possible advantage, and Kris wanted to rule all possibilities off before being like the rest of them. “Let’s try and look through the caves, the open area is pretty blank.”

“Seadra Sea!” Seadra exclaimed enthusiastically, and Kris gulped as she was dragged forwards with surprising force. A Dragonair and several of her Dratini scampered as Seadra pulled past, and Kris used another hand to hold on to prevent their bond to be broken. Seadra flapped her wings and they came to a halt in front of one of the caves. Several stones had been placed in the entrance, and Kris wouldn’t have worried about it if the stones weren’t a shade of brown, compared to the blue-grey rock surrounding it.

“They’ve put these rocks here!” Kris gasped, and Seadra nodded excitedly. “You saw this earlier, didn’t you?” Kris asked, wondering about Seadra’s rush to get her here.

“Dra Dra Sea!” Seadra responded. Kris wished she had pointed it out before, but she could understand why Seadra hadn’t: she was waiting for orders and was being respectful towards her trainer. But now they were here, and Kris wanted to see what was behind the rocks. She reached out and tried to move some of them, but her arms instantly began to hurt, and the rocks wouldn’t move an inch.

“We need to clear these rocks, use Dragon Pulse!” Kris ordered. A ball of purple energy formed at the end of Seadra’s long mouth, which she quickly fired towards the rocks. The purple beam released a wave of energy that caused Kris to soar backwards slightly, and the cave shuddered as the rocks shattered and the wall collapsed.

“Brilliant Seadra, great work!” Kris exclaimed with a smile on her face, and she began to paddle forwards. But Seadra didn’t move, and Kris looked back, only getting a brief glance into the dark cave. Seadra was staring upwards, fear in her eyes.

“What is it?” Kris asked curiously and looked up, and her eyes bulged in shock as well: the heads of Feraligatr, Dewgong and Poliwrath were all staring down at her, looking shocked and angry. Kris couldn’t hear anything due to the weight of the water, but blurry faces of the trainers appeared in the water, and suddenly they went to strike.

“MOVE!” Kris screamed, grabbing Seadra and pulling her out of the way as the blast of a Superpower, a chilly Ice Beam and a torrent of water that looked very Waterfall-like shot towards them. The attacks collided with each other before they could even reach Kris, sending energy scattering through the water and freezing over several rocks.

“Fire a Dragon Pulse and than get into the cave!” Kris shouted.

“SEADRAAA!” Seadra yelled, firing the purple beam up towards the water, where the three Pokemon all scattered to avoid it. Than, in a single swift movement, Kris and Seadra escaped into the dark underwater cave: Kris instantly felt claustrophobic, the closed space, pressing darkness and the mass of water adding up towards a strong feeling of worry and doubt. The only light was the dim blue glow coming from the bond between trainer and Pokemon.

“Do you have good eyesight?” Kris whispered nervously as she groped around, trying to feel something in the night-like darkness.

“Sea,” Seadra responded, and she pulled Kris slowly forwards, her eyes adapted to work well in underwater. As they moved forwards, Kris breathed slowly, not wanting to over exert herself. The further they moved in the brighter it got, and Kris could see a blue glow similar to that of the jewels from outside. She beamed with excitement as Seadra neared it, and a shape began to take shape: a large metal box, on top of the same sort of brown rocks that had blocked the entrance. Kris’ heart skipped a few beats in excitement: she hadn’t even had a strategy, but now the first part of the contest was only a few metres away.

“Make a beeline for that!” Kris screamed, but Seadra was already shooting forwards. Neither cared how they would open the box at the moment, focused entirely on getting there and winning… nothing could go wrong now…

“GYRAAAA!”

Kris and Seadra both cried out as they were sent hurtling backwards. Something had just leapt up at them, a secret guardian they didn’t know about. Through the light coming from the box, they were able to make out what it was: a Gyarados, a huge ferocious creature with vicious fangs, frightening eyes and a scaly blue body.

“GYRAAAAADOOOS!” It roared, its scream enough to push Seadra back further. Kris cursed under her breath as her heart began to race. She should have known that finding things wouldn’t be this easy, and wondered what other surprises Clair had up her sleeve.

I really should have signed that waver… Kris thought angrily as she tried to think of a strategy. The Gyarados wasn’t attacking them yet, instead watching them with its beady eyes and baring its fangs. If they got closer towards the box, presumably it would strike out. But Kris had to get towards the box…

“Use Ice Beam, aim for its eyes!” Kris ordered as her battle plan formed in her mind. Seadra responded instantly, firing the ice-blue beam towards Gyarados. It let out an angry roar as it was hit in the eyes, but instead of subduing enough for Kris to pass as she had hoped, it began to thrash its long and thick tail around.

“DRA!” Seadra exclaimed, and pulled Kris down as the tail shot overhead. There was a crunching sound and suddenly the cave was no longer dark: the tail had smashed through the cave wall, allowing the light from the jewels to seep in. Kris could now see that the cave was actually rather long, seemingly stretching far off around the den. Several Dragonair had gathered outside the wreckage, peering in curiously, but Kris couldn’t focus on that at the moment, as she re-evaluated her plans to get past the angry Gyarados.

“SEADRA SEA!” Seadra shouted, throwing caution to the winds and firing another Ice Beam, this time hitting the blinded Gyarados in the middle. The Atrocious Pokemon roared and smashed into the opposite
    wall.

“Well… nice plan!” Kris said, rather impressed. Seadra smiled as Kris gave her a quick hug before the Dragon Pokemon pulled her quickly towards the box. Their way was clear and lit now, and Gyarados only feebly mumbled as they passed. The box was clearly new, as it wasn’t rusted and was practically glowing as Kris approached it. She reached out and touched it, the water swirling away and the feel of cold metal seeping through the bond created by Dive. It was a truly magnificent feeling, and Kris nearly let go of Seadra, wanting to wrap her arms around the smooth metal.

“We need to open it,” Kris said, and she felt around until her free hand clasped around a golden padlock. “Come around here Seadra and try Ice Beam or Dragon Pulse.” Seadra nodded silently and seriously, and she bobbed around until she was facing the simple lock. Kris wondered if there were any light rocks she could use, keeping one eye on Seadra as she fired a miniature version of Dragon Pulse as not to destroy the box completely. However, it seemed the padlock was tough enough, and Kris gasped as the purple energy rebounded off and struck her directly between the eyes…. A searing feeling followed, her head feeling like it had been split… Kris screamed, her hands going to her head, and suddenly the water was pressing down on her, seeping into her nose, her mouth her ears… she screamed again, but this time it was joined by another scream, a more feminine one that rang in her ears…

Stay strong.

A masculine voice filled Kris’ mind as several things happened at once: water was suddenly blasted away from her, the cave shook, rocks flew everywhere, everything was flooded with light and there was a roar…
    Kris opened her eyes as she was sent spiralling, Seadra’s tail wrapped around her left arm and her wings fighting to keep Kris under control. Rocks were floating everywhere, smashing into dust as a blast of red energy continued to shake everything. Kris had no idea where the male voice had come from, but it was grander and more chilling than anything she’d ever heard in her life.

“Seadra, did you hear that?” Kris whispered, her body still chilling, and she coughed up water that had lingered inside her. Seadra went to respond, but a sudden roar of ‘DOOOOS!’ sounded behind her, and Kris yelled as Gyarados leered at them, his mouth wide to swallow them whole. Kris continued to scream as she was yanked forwards by her arm, Gyarados’ mouth missing her by inches. The Dex Holder was beginning to get confused as she suddenly burst out of the water, though the feeling of Dive still engrossed her as she seemed to fall on dry land.

“Handy trick this is, ain’t it?” A voice laughed, and Kris looked around, getting more puzzled by the moment. Alexis was standing there, smiling widely with her Dewgong along side. But as Kris looked around, they were completely surrounded by the glowing water: it was as if a circular tube had suddenly sprung out of nowhere, stretching out of a hole and towards the lake’s surface…

“Psychic, I presume?” Kris laughed, turning around to see the box was lying beside it… what was left of the box anyway, as the entire thing had been dented enough to allow a small black device to become visible.

“Right you are,” Alexis said with a smile as she swiped her orienteering card through the machine. Kris grabbed hers, which thankfully hadn’t been destroyed during her brief spell underwater, and swiped it through as well. A happy feeling rushed through her as she did so: first one down, two to go! “I figured as you led us all to this cave, I should at least repay the favour,” Alexis explained, and Kris smiled.

“Thanks, I appreciate it!” She said, and she and Seadra glanced up towards the large passage, the distant figure of a Venomoth visible, trying to hold the clear tunnel open for the two of them. “Your Venomoth is very impressive!”

“Thank you,” Alexis said with a smile as she climbed back on to Dewgong. “But this is a race, and we do need to keep going! I wouldn’t even let Jericho follow me down: if he’s going to be stroppy, he can do this himself!” Alexis paused for a moment, glaring, and Kris and Seadra exchanged looks. Everything was becoming rather confusing, and Kris just wanted to move to the next thing.

“We’ll be off then,” Kris called, shaking out Alexis out of her angry glaring into space. She blushed a bit, but Kris simply smiled and clutched tightly onto Seadra, ready to dive back into the water.

“Good luck!” The two girls said simultaneously, and they both paused and laughed. They let go of the stress of the situation they were in, and Kris allowed herself to giggle uncontrollably, hoping to let her question-filled mind go at ease, take a short break from the situation she had allowed herself to get into…

That relief was quickly shattered.

“GYRA!” The laughs turned to screams as the blinded Gyarados suddenly appeared, smashing its head against the barrier. The Psychic holding the water apart seemed to be weakening as it was now rippling with each thump Gyarados caused, and Kris held Seadra in fear as Alexis continued to yell.

“ICE BEAM!” Kris shouted as she tried to think of a way to get out of here. But as Seadra fired the ice type attack through the Psychic, Alexis screamed again and Kris turned around just in time for her vision to become engulfed with red energy. Her felt compressed as the energy swirled around them, and Kris felt a rumbling as she was suddenly sent soaring upwards. More questions rushed through her mind now as she tried to work out what was going on: the masculine voice, the strange energy, the explosions, the barrier shaking… it was all very strange, and Kris desperately wanted to know what was going on.

But as she opened her eyes, Kris realised that in order to get these answers, she’d have to survive the stalactites she was now hurtling head first towards…

Blog Entries

Whoa!
    OK, loved the chapter, first of. Fast-paced, action packed, and well written. Only a few issues, and all in the same paragraph.

Most experienced Pokemon that used dive could turn completely to water and would wrap around their trainer’s body in the liquefied state, allowing the trainer to be dragged around easily and slip through cracks if need be. Seadra wasn’t quite as experienced yet, but a watery barrier was now completely over both her and Kris, keeping her dry and allowing her to breathe lightly. And Kris was able to see: the lake was just as beautiful as it was from above. The deep floor was glowing, clearly some sort of mystical jewel across the lake floor that provided spectacular light. Small caves were scattered all over the place, and Horsea and Dratini families were skirting through them all. It wasn’t quite an aquatic wonderland, but it was so calm and peaceful that it was beautiful in its own way.
    Speaking of which, I like your description of Dive, it makes sense.
    Plotwise, interesting challenge! What really irritates me is that the others weren't smart enought o figure it out on their own, so they relied on Kriss. It's not wrong, but it's more of a characterization thing that makes me like Kris more and dislike Gold.
    Personally I would have gotten a Salamence and destroyed the other Pokémon, then searched at my leisure, but to each his own :).
    OVerall, excellent job. It flowed well and it was well written, so I can't wait for Part 3!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Thank you once again for such nice, positive and constructive feedback :) I'm glad you liked Dive, I was going to do the full body disintegration method, but I thought that this part required more connection and communication between Kris and Seadra.
    And sadly, Latias is the one of only two Hoenn Pokemon to pop up, so no Salamance's flying in just yet :P

Blog Entries

Lol, just kidding there ' bout the mence, though now that I think about it, it seems like Hartley's kind of Pokémon.

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Oh LOL! When you said Hartley last time, I thought you had mispelled Harley, as in May's rival from the anime :P

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast