If you're not the one (AAML One-Shot)

Thread: If you're not the one (AAML One-Shot)

Fanfic writer/critic Brian Powell's Avatar

Default If you're not the one (AAML One-Shot)

If you’re not the one Rated: U

Summary: This AAML One-Shot was inspired by a popular song 'If you're not the one' by Daniel Beddingfield. Tissues may be needed.

Author's comment: I don't know if this is good as 'Against All Odds' but here we go...

Ever since Ash and Misty parted ways after the Johto League, Ash somehow felt lonely even with his most trusted friend Pikachu on his shoulder. Before they departed, there were times when Ash had feelings for the girl he cared the most although he thought that she was only following him for the bike he owed her. After spending a few days without her, he decided to make a new start, this time in the Hoenn region. Despite having friends by his side, Ash knew that there was someone missing from his group.

If you're not the one then why does my soul feel glad today?
    If you're not the one then why does my hand fit yours this way?
    If you are not mine then why does your heart return my call?
    If you are not mine would I have the strength to stand at all?

A few months later, while Ash and his friends were travelling in the Hoenn region, Misty came back into his life again. Just by looking at her face again, he felt that his heart and soul jumped for joy and wondered why she came back.

They thought that they could catch up on old times but coincidentally they got caught into a situation where Misty’s Togepi evolved into a stronger Pokemon called Togetic. Realising that Togetic had to depart from the one it called ‘mother’ to protect the other Togepi, Misty had to release the ‘child’ she cared the most.

Despite that she was strong enough to let go of Togetic, she needed someone to lend a shoulder for her to lean on. Ash volunteered as they hugged each other with Ash wiping the tears off her eyes and cheeks.

I never know what the future brings
    But I know you are here with me now
    We'll make it through
    And I hope you are the one I share my life with

The next day, Misty told Ash and the others that she had to leave them again to carry on with her duties as the gym trainer of Cerulean Gym, much to Ash’s sadness. As Misty left by blimp, a smile came up on her face, as did Ash’s as they waved each other goodbye. They were forced smiles but they were fitting as they knew they would see each other again, it was the question of when. After the blimp went out of sight, Ash lowered his head with the front of his cap shading his eyes, hiding away his tears.

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
    If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am?
    Is there any way that I can stay in your arms?

There were feelings inside his heart that confused and saddened him but he couldn’t understand why they were haunting him. Why was he feeling this way when she wasn’t around? Why was his heart telling that Misty was the one for him? Why couldn’t he confess this kind of feelings to her?

If I don't need you then why am I crying on my bed?
    If I don't need you then why does your name resound in my head?
    If you're not for me then why does this distance maim my life?
    If you're not for me then why do I dream of you as my wife?

Many nights after their last separation, Ash often dreamed about her in his sleep. There were times when he dreamed about them being far apart. There were times when he dreamed about himself being at a wedding with Misty as his bride.

Each morning, he’d wake up after his dream to find teardrops on his pillow and sometimes on his face. Each morning when he does his morning rituals, he feels a soft wind passing through as it whispered the name of the girl he shared a great bond of friendship with… maybe even more.

I don't know why you’re so far away
    But I know that this much is true
    We'll make it through
    And I hope you are the one I share my life with
    And I wish that you could be the one I die with
    And I pray in you're the one I build my home with
    I hope I love you all my life

He was still travelling around in Hoenn to complete his dream of becoming a pokemon master while she was back in Cerulean City in Kanto performing her duties as gym trainer. Despite that they are far away from each other, they’ll do whatever it takes to fill their respective tasks. Ash realised that one day he’ll reveal his true feelings towards and hoped that he would spend the rest of his life with her.

I don’t want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
    If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am

Various questions came inside his mind reflecting that. Is it worth the risk to lose his friendship with her over a confession? What was holding him back? Does he see a future with her? What will he say to her? And more importantly… will she like or love him back?

'Cause I miss you, body and soul so strong that it takes my breath away
    And I breathe you into my heart and pray for the strength to stand today
    'Cause I love you, whether it's wrong or right
    And though I can't be with you tonight
    And know my heart is by your side

Ash didn’t know much about love but he missed Misty dearly. Having travelled with her, he saw how strong she was with each battle and difficult situation; if she can do it, so can he. Each day, after that realisation, he knew that he had to stand strong on his own two feet for the rest of his journey, with or without Misty. He knew that even though she may not be with him for the rest of his journey, he knew that she will always be there for him in spirit… and heart.

I don't want to run away but I can't take it, I don't understand
    If I'm not made for you then why does my heart tell me that I am
    Formerly known as The Murkrow. Now known as Brian Powell (Not my real name, but does it sound similar to you?).

Check out my main fic Pokemon Impact! Now completed!
    Series 2 is now here! Check it! Now completed!

Check out no.3!

I'm also a fic reviewer, PM me for a review request

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Damn, I do love that song. And I liked the slightly ambiguous ending you gave to the story. While their feelings are clear to themselves, they haven't confessed yet but they know in their hearts, and sometimes that's enough. Very nice.