Default Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps- Chapter One

Paige actually had me laughing! She must really love her master
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I enjoy making Pokemon relatable characters, and we'll see a lot of those throughout the story ;)

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the delay

Chapter Two: When Good Neighbours Become Good Enemies

Paige flew forwards as fast as possible, and she slammed into Mankey’s stomach, causing the fluffy monkey to roll backwards.

“Man Man Man MAN!” Mankey shouted, and he jumped up, with his claws glowing white. Alaska watched as Mankey began swiping at Paige.

“Pidge!” She squawked, and crash-landed at Alaska’s feet.

“Oh my, are you alright?” Alaska asked.

“Pidgey Eeey!” The Pidgey replied softly, and managed to get up.

“Alright, I want you to use Gust!” Alaska instructed. Paige smiled, and began flapping her wings furiously, chirping as she did so. A strong gust of wind blasted Mankey backwards, preventing the Pig Monkey Pokemon from using what looked like Focus Energy.

“Now finish this with Steel Wing!” Alaska shouted. Paige’s wings glowed silver, and she swooped down. Mankey leapt up, looking angry about being attacked. He glowed a red-brown and seemed to be gaining energy. Paige turned right, so her left wing cut across Mankey, making him stumble, but not doing enough damage.

“Hmm…” Alaska pondered. “I think I should try and catch him now, right?” Paige nodded as she landed on right shoulder, and Alaska beamed.

“Alright then, here goes nothing!” Alaska said, and pulled a PokeBall out of her pocket. This was a moment she’d been waiting for years to do: to catch her own Pokemon by herself!

“Go PokeBall!” She shouted, and threw it with all her might. Mankey had been focusing on conserving its energy, and was startled as the red-and-white metal capsule hit him on the head. The powers within the ball broke down Mankey’s molecular structure, and his red particles were sucked inside. The ball fell to the ground, and Alaska and Paige excitedly ran forwards. The ball shook once… twice… thrice… PING! Mankey stopped struggling, and the ball came to a stop. Alaska froze for a second, and looked at Paige, who was smiling excitedly. Than, Alaska beamed with like a child in a candy store, and she picked up the small ball.

“BOOYAH!” She shouted, and Paige chirped in agreement. Alaska bounced the ball, and began pondering. “I think I will nickname him…. Darwin!”

“Pidgey Pidge!” Paige agreed, and Alaska beamed. She’d caught her own Pokemon, and had started her journey: it was the best day ever!
    “Oh my god, Alaska!”

That perfect day shattered, and a chill of disgust went down Alaska’s spine as she heard those four words, and knew whose voice they belonged to.

Mitchell Melton

Right next door to Alaska, between her house and Chloe’s, was the Melton household. Mr Melton worked for Silph Co. in Saffron City, while Mrs Melton stayed at home, though she did a lot of volunteer and charity work around the city. As Mr Melton spent most of the year living in Saffron, whenever Mrs Melton had to go and organise a food drive or a school function, Mitchell would be home alone.

So, back before Alaska got her job at the PokeMart, her mother Robin had suggested to Mrs Melton Alaska do some babysitting. Alaska didn’t mind at first: all the cool people on TV seemed to be doing it, so why not her?

But than she spent her first few hours there.

Mitchell was hyperactive, sort of like an Electrode on drugs. Alaska had brought board games, but Mitchell kept getting bored and began throwing the pieces at her. Next time Alaska went over, Mitchell broke all the DVD’s she had gotten as he ran around maniacally. The third time, a fun game of tag cost $20,000 when Mitchell knocked over a bunch of expensive vases and broke Mrs Melton’s good china plates. And every time Alaska stepped foot in that house, Mitchell would somehow break something, smash something, stain something, burn something, and he once flooded the entire upstairs.

Mitchell’s maniacal behaviour had forced Alaska to get her job at the PokeMart, hoping that her new job would get her out of the poorly paying babysitting gig. But every so often, she would still be forced to go over to the hellish home, and deal with whatever form of misery Mitchell decide to put her through.

“I can’t believe it’s you!” Mitchell’s squeak voice said again. Alaska looked at Paige, but she had taken off into the air, and had fluttered over towards a bush to hide.

“I’m get you back!” Alaska huffed, and took a deep breathe before turning around.

Walking through the long grass was the now ten year old boy she had come to despise, waving and smiling happily at her. Mitchell had light brown hair, a slightly elongated face, pasty white skin, and was wearing mismatched coloured clothing, with a large bag on his back. His face always reminded Alaska of a Raticate, but only cuter. The awkward looking child stumbled out of the grass, grinning goofily, and walked up towards Alaska.

“Hello!” Mitchell said, and raised his hand. Alaska forced a smile and gave him the high-five he wanted.

“Why are you here” Alaska asked, not meaning to sound as rude. But Mitchell just smiled, and pointed over at the league building.

“My mummy told me you were going on your journey a little while ago, so I decided I would go on mine as well!” Mitchell explained happily. Alaska’s eyes bulged and her jaw dropped, but Mitchell had turned around and didn’t notice. “My mum thought it would be a great idea, so we arranged everything, and now I’m travelling!”

“That’s great… just great…” Alaska mumbled through clenched teeth, and she looked like she was ready to stab someone.

“So, have you already signed up?” Mitchell asked, and he was dancing on the spot, eager to move off towards the building.

“Yes, just a few minutes ago, actually. I’m about to head back into town.” Alaska explained, and pointed over towards Viridian. Mitchell frowned, but then his face lit up again.

“It shouldn’t take more than a minute, right?” He asked, but than quickly cut her off again. “I’ll rush over there, do everything, and rush back here, and we can start our journey together!” And before Alaska could reply, Mitchell began running off, waving too her as he went. There was a rustling sound, and Paige flew out of the bushes, and began frantically flying away.

“Hey, if you’re ditching him, I’m coming as well!” Alaska cried, and ran after the chuckling Pidgey. Alaska didn’t want to hurt the young boy’s feelings, but she knew that if she did travel with him, she probably would have found a nice large cliff to jump off before the end of the week.

After ten minutes of sprinting down the open route, Alaska and Paige arrived, tired and panting, back in Viridian.

“Remind me… never to run… again!” Alaska sighed, and collapsed onto an old park bench at the edge of the route.

“Pidgey Pidge Pidgey!” Paige added, and she roosted on the back of the seat. Alaska had a drink of water from a nearby fountain, and let Paige have a quick drink, before looking the city that had been her home for thirteen years.

Across the road from the route was the Pokemon Center, with its orange roof, cream coloured walls and sliding glass doors. Next to it was the PokeMart, a much smaller building, but one Alaska knew much better. There were more houses, some fancy and modern, others old fashioned but homely, the majority painted white, steely grey or a dull brown. The two storey battling center known as the Trainer House rose up above the houses, and many trainers usually stopped in there to get a feel to battling. And then, in the very corner of the city, was the Viridian City Pokemon Gym. It was closed for the week while Leaf re-battled Red for the top spot, so Alaska had no intention of visiting it.

But she did very a little bit of sadness at the idea of leaving. Alaska did like the city, even if it wasn’t that exciting and most travellers passed through fairly quickly. But she did have a couple of friends, and her family was here, and her well paying job.

Mum said most people felt this way, but I didn’t think it would happen to me! Alaska thought sadly, and let out a sigh.

“Pidge Pidgey?” Paige asked, and Alaska looked at her, wiping a small tear away.

“I’m fine, I’m fine!” She replied, and carried on before Pidgey could interrupt. “Now, we better head towards the Pokemon Centre before Mitchell catches up with us!” Paige flew upwards at this, and Alaska laughed. She got up as well, and quickly rushed forwards.

SMACK!

Alaska had been so focused on her sadness that she didn’t notice where she was going, and had walked right into someone. She toppled backwards, and moaned in pain as sharp rocks jabbed her in the back.
    “Watch were your goi- oh, it’s you!” A familiar voice sneered, and for the second time that hour, a shiver went down Alaska’s spine. She opened her eyes, and found two figures over her: one was a worried looking Paige, and the other was Chloe Carmichael.

“You, what are you doing here?” Alaska huffed, as she leapt to her feet. “Aren’t you meant to be filming your reality garbage?” Chloe scoffed, and tossed back her luscious blonde hair.

“Of course I am, silly!” She sneered, and laughed loudly and cruelly. Alaska balled up her fists, and examined Chloe, trying to find the best place to hit her. She was wearing a long pink, flowery dress that looked old fashioned but good on her, and was wearing lots of makeup. Behind her, a stern looking woman was talking to a camera crew, while two boys chatted, holding up PokeBalls.

“I’m guessing these are your new buddies?” Alaska asked, smiling, as she looked pointedly at the beer gut on the boom operator, and the flies buzzing around the cameraman’s body. Chloe shuddered slightly, but retained her uptight demean.

“I don’t care for the lower paid peasants!” She said importantly, and clicked her fingers. “Damian, Lochy, will you both come here?” The two boys turned around, and walked towards their female co-star.

“What is it now Chloe?” One boy huffed indignantly.

“Is this one of your friends?” The second one asked.

“NO!” Alaska and Chloe exclaimed at the same time, making Paige leap into the air and caused the boys to exchange puzzled looks.

“This is just Alaska, some loner emo girl from my school.” Chloe explained coldly, and Alaska scowled.

“Watch it Carmichael!” She hissed.

“Now now, no need to get your bloomers in a twist!” Chloe retorted, and Alaska looked ready to attack. The boy who had spoken first stepped inbetween them, smiling warmly.

“I’m Damian, Damian Darme.” He explained. He had sandy blonde hair that a surfer might sport, with tanned skin and dazzling white teeth and blue eyes to match. He looked well built, with a slight muscle underneath his tight fitting T-shirt. He was taller than the others and seemed nice, but Alaska could feel the cockiness and self-importance radiating off him.

“Alaska Acevedo.” Alaska replied, and Damian nodded, shaking his hair slightly as he did so.

“Stop showing off McDreamy!” The second boy laughed, and pushed him out of the way. He was shorter and not as fit, with longer red-brown hair, a sprinkling of acne, and a light brown skin tone that gave Alaska the impression he was trying too hard to be cool. “I’m Lachlan Lynch, but everyone calls my Lochy.” Alaska just nodded, and examined the stars of the show. It seemed the producers had chosen Chloe and Damian to be easy on the eye, while Lachlan seemed like he would be the normal guy/comedic relief/Ron Weasley to these two leads. It was smart choosing, as it would attract different types of people to watch it, and Alaska nodded in her mind at the producers decisions. However, she had her own journey to deal with, and couldn’t waste time with these people.

“That’s interesting.” Alaska replied, nodding with false enthusiasm. “But, if you’d excuse me, I need to get to the Pokemon Center. It was nice meeting you all, and I looking forward to-”
    “Hang on a second!” Damian interrupted, and side stepped in front of her. “Are you a trainer as well?”

“Of course not, this Pidgey just stalks me!” Alaska replied sarcastically.

“Pidge Pidge!” Paige laughed, and Damian’s eyebrows narrowed, his attempts at being charming fading away.

“Well, if you’re a trainer, do you want to come with us to the Trainer House? We’re about to go there for our first challenge.”

“It should be a bit of fun.” Lachlan added.

“I’m sure Alaska is far too busy making out with women to come!” Chloe cut in, laughing falsely while glaring at Alaska to leave.

“A lesbian joke, how original of you!” Alaska snapped back, and Damian and Lachlan backed away, sensing the tension from the two. It was clear to both of them that these girls hated each other, and that it would be best not to intervene. Alaska pondered for a moment: should she put her journey on hold for a few minutes while she showed Chloe up?

I’ve waited half my life: I can wait a little longer! Alaska thought.

“Thanks for the offer Damian, I’d be glad to take part.” She said sweetly, and Chloe’s jaw dropped. “I’ll see you all in a minute!” And with that, Alaska walked happily towards the Pokemon Center, glad to delay things if it meant showing her old rival up.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps- Chapter Two

So now we see Chloe in person, and I can tell she and Alaska don't get along...I was smiling a little over the banter when Chloe and her entourage arrived

Trophies
    Blog Entries

I'm glad you are enjoying the story :) Expect more of those scenes in the future ;)

What are the rest of your thoughts? I'd be excited to hear them all

Trophies
    Blog Entries

After a long delay, like all my stories, Eight Easy Steps has returned! And I'm nearly done with the planning, and it looks like it'll be a long story, so I hope you all enjoy it ;)

Chapter Three: The Bird and the Seed

It only took ten minutes for the nurse to fully heal Paige and Darwin at the Pokemon Center, so Alaska was soon on her way towards the Trainers House. She’d never participated in a proper battle before, asides from the occasional battle with her younger brother Freddie. Her two older siblings, twins Edward and Emily, had moved to the Sevii Islands to attend a special boarding school and university, so Alaska hadn’t had the chance to know them properly, let alone get the chance to battle them.

But Alaska didn’t want to think about her family too much while she was out on her exciting new adventure, and the teenager put all thoughts of her family into the back of her head, and purposely turned away from looking at her small, sad house as she walked past.

The Trainer’s House towered above her, truly radiating the power it possessed. The two storey structure, with a large basement area underneath, had huge wooden walls mixed in with red-brown brick to support the structure, and a pleasant green roof glowed in the sunlight on top. Because of these colours, Alaska had always thought of the building as being like a tree, and smiled at that image as she slowly walked through the doors.

“Welcome to the Viridian Trainer House.” A woman in a purple skirt with matching jacket and hat stood at a reception desk by the door, a megawatt smile beaming down at Alaska as she stepped in.

“Oh, hey there, what’s going on?” Alaska asked, placing her bag down on the desk. The woman remained smiling, but she seemed to glare at the filthy bag on her nice polished desk. Alaska awkwardly removed it and the receptionist returned to her calmer composure.

“I’m sorry to say that our main battling area downstairs is closed,” the receptionist explained. “But our training area upstairs is still open.”

“I’m actually here to go downstairs, I’m….” Alaska took a deep breath to prevent herself from throwing up before continuing. “a friend of Chloe Carmichael.” The receptionist looked like stunned, but she quickly checked a list of her computer and nodded.

“Let me show you the way.” And she walked out from behind her desk, heading towards a staircase at the end of the large floor. Alaska walked behind her, examining the room as she went. There were lots of tables and chairs scattered around the place, all looking very flash. Two bookcases stood side by side on one wall next to a large white machine, while widescreen Pokemon-PC Computers were on the opposite end for people to do their appropriate research. No one else was on this floor, but shouts and cries could be heard coming down from upstairs, and the whole building shook temporarily.

“Don’t worry, we’re structurally sound.” The receptionist laughed, and Alaska forced a laughed, but rolled her eyes and gave the woman the finger as they headed down the stairs. There was some quiet chatter coming from down here, and Alaska had been expecting a lot more noise than this from a battling arena.

“Miss Anderson, Miss Anderson, I have a young lady here for your group.” The receptionist skipped down the last few stairs, and Alaska trotted after. The battling area was about twice the size of the ground floor, with about four different battling fields, several metal cabinets on the wall, and a refreshment stand for trainers, along with bleachers.

“This room is so cool!” Alaska murmured, finally getting off the stairs. She suddenly found three cameramen standing around her, with other reality show workers only a few feet away. Chloe, along with Damian and Lachlan, stood in the middle of the battle area, talking amongst themselves. A Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle were running around them, their laughter the loudest thing in the room. Alaska wanted to march over to them and challenge Chloe, but then a clipped voice filled the room.

“What do you mean another teenager, we didn’t order a fourth one!” Alaska turned around as the cameramen nervously stood aside. The stern looking woman Alaska had seen earlier marched forwards, glaring down at her. The woman’s jet black hair was done in a bun, showing off her long thing face and half-moon glasses. She was dressed like a secretary with a pencil skirt, white blouse and smart black shoes, a clipboard under her arm. She was looking down at Alaska like she was a piece of filth, ready to squash her like a bug. Alaska didn’t usually get scared, but the way the woman was looking at her sent a shiver down her spine.

“My name is Amanda, Amanda Anderson.” The woman said quickly, stuttering slightly on the S in her name. “And who exactly are you?”

“I’m Alaska, Alaska Acevedo.” Alaska replied, accidentally copying the woman’s stutter, earning her an even sterner glare. “I know Chloe and I’ve come to battle her.” Amanda looked down at Alaska, and then turned crossly at Chloe, who seemed to cower even though there weren’t even near each other.

“I see.” Amanda said, half sighing half snapping. “I am the producer of this television programme, and I do not like it when things do not go the way I arranged them.” Alaska felt like she was being scolded by some uptight nun as the producer stared evilly down at her, this little pest that was interrupting her television show. “I’ll give you five minutes to battle, but then I want you on your way, we have a segment to film here!” And then Amanda walked away, heading over towards the scared looking receptionist. Alaska simply shrugged and moved quickly over towards the three stars.

“You don’t want to piss this woman off.” Damian warned as Alaska arrived. “She already seems like she’s going to be a nasty cow.” Alaska simply shrugged and dropped her bag on the floor. Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Charmander all came to a halt from their chasing game, looking up at Alaska in shock.

“So Chloe, which of these little darlings am I going to defeat?” Alaska asked with a wide grin. Chloe’s eyes narrowed as she glared at her enemy, and then bent down and picked up the Bulbasaur, who nuzzled his new trainer.

“This is my new Pokemon!” Chloe explained, giving Bulbasaur a hug. Charmander and Squirtle moved towards Damian and Lachlan

respectively, and the boys picked their starter Pokemon up as well.
    “Is using a Bulbasaur against a Pidgey really a good idea?” Lachlan chuckled, and Chloe’s smiling face suddenly dropped, causing Alaska to burst out into laughter.

“It isn’t about type advantage, we are both new trainers!” Chloe mumbled, but Alaska’s knees began to go weak from laughing, and Damian and Lachlan smirked as well. Chloe growled and angrily marched over to a spot on the battle field. “Hurry up Acevedo!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming.” Alaska said breathlessly through her laughter, and she managed to stumble on over to her position. Damian, Lachlan and their Pokemon positioned themselves to watch, and Amanda stopped yelling at the receptionist in order to watch the match.

“Come on Bulbasaur, this’ll be fun!” Chloe told her new starter, and put the green grass type at the floor between her feet.

“Bulba Bulb!” Bulbasaur said happily and waddled forwards, his little green seed shaking with each step he did.

“Not only will it be fun, it’ll also be quick.” Alaska added, making Chloe scowl, and then pulled her own PokeBall out. “Paige, let’s go!” The PokeBall spiralled through the air and burst open, the Pidgey forming and fluttering into the air.

“Pidgey Pidge Pid!” Paige chirped, looking between Alaska, Chloe and the Bulbasaur. But than she caught on and winked at Alaska, making her laugh.

“Begin with Tackle!” Chloe ordered, and she pointed overdramatically at Paige. Alaska and Paige simply exchanged looks and smirked at each other.

“Sand Attack.” Alaska commanded, and Paige dove down before Bulbasaur knew what to do: she whacked her wing against the ground, showering Bulbasaur in dirt and sand. It hit him in the eyes, instantly blinding him.

“Saur Saur!” He moaned, and ran forwards without any knowledge of where he was going. Chloe gasped as her Pokemon ran straight into the wall, and Alaska and Paige exchanged giggles.

“She isn’t that hard to spot, use Tackle again!” Chloe huffed, and Alaska rolled her eyes.

“You do know that Sand Attack lowers the accuracy of your Pokemon’s moves, and Tackle already has a low accuracy?” She explained, smiling at Paige and pleased that she had read that Beginner Trainer’s Pamphlet they had at the PokeMart. “I’ll just have to punish your silly judgement with Gust!” Chloe looked shocked as Paige flapped her wings frantically, the wind generated striking Bulbasaur and blasting him backwards, sending him hurtling through the air. Chloe squealed and raised her arms, and Bulbasaur bounced off them, making both Alaska and Lachlan roar with laughter.

“B-b-b-but….” Chloe stumbled, and Alaska puffed her chest proudly, Paige doing the same.

“QUICK ATTACK OF DOOM!” Alaska shouted and continued cracking up. Paige moved forwards at an alarming speed, flying into Bulbasaur and striking him. Chloe yelled again as Bulbasaur was sent soaring between her legs, only stopping when he smashed into the wall. Damian ran forwards with a stunned Charmander and looked at the Seed Pokemon.

“He’s fainted, looks like Alaska wins.” He announced. Alaska mimed a curtsey as Paige landed on her shoulder, bowing to the audience.

“I guess I’ll be out of your hair now then.” She said. Chloe was at a loss for words, frozen where she was standing, while Lachlan and his Squirtle were struggling not to laugh and Damian was gobsmacked yet impressed. Alaska waltzed proudly back to the stairs, passed the stunned camera crew, walking by the half smirking, half shocked receptionist, but paused at Amanda Anderson, who was looking outraged.

“Goodbye…. For now.” Alaska said with a wink, and Paige chirped loudly with laughter as they headed up the staircase, leaving half the people behind them looking like they’d been slapped.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Conquer Kanto in Eight Easy Steps- Chapter Three

Welcome back!

Alaska's and Chloe's repartee is too funny! Chloe reminds me of Charlotte from "The Princess and the Frog" in a way.

Blog Entries

All right! Now it can truly get under way.

The only thing about these first few chapters is that it looks like it could use another proofread. There were a few small mistakes ("than" instead of "then", etc.) here and there, but nothing major.

Blog Entries

Well, Lugion's already mentioned the small errors.
    I've read this story now, and I just love the banter!
    QUICK ATTACK OF DOOM!!!
    Just pure win.
    For some reason, I like Alakska better than Kris, maybe it's the attitude?
    I also like how you did away with the whole Charmander Squirtle Bulbasaur thing. It's a journeyfic, but the ideas set it apart, and it's truly amazing.
    Well done! I'll definitely keep reading this!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries

LT: Thanks, I want them to be more comical rivals than "Ash vs Paul" sort of ones. And I've never seen TPATF, so I don't know if thats a compliment or insult :P
    Lugion: Yeah, I always notice mistakes when I go back through my stories, but a few tiny mistakes don't really bother me too much :P
    FB: I did laugh when I wrote that line :P And I don't like my characters to be too similar, so I'm glad that you find them different :D And yes, the starters need their place, and it isn't this story :P

I'm just so glad that people like this so much! :D

Blog Entries

Watch the movie and you'll see what I mean

yaaaaay I got a character named after me!
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Trophies
    Blog Entries

LT: I guess I will then :)
    Alaska: Congrats, you share a name with someone :P

Ghost Type Master MasqueradeOfSilence's Avatar

Aside from the odd spelling error, your story is really good. Not only is it an unique twist on the average journeyfic, you also provided us with excellent, memorable characters. I especially like Alaska's Pidgey and Chloe's Bulbasaur (even though it got pwned...).
    The receptionist laughed, and Alaska forced a laughed, but rolled her eyes and gave the woman the finger as they headed down the stairs.
    Forced a laugh.
    “I’m actually here to go downstairs, I’m….” Alaska took a deep breath to prevent herself from throwing up before continuing. “a friend of Chloe Carmichael.”
    Wow...I can't believe she was actually able to say that! Lol...
    “Bulba Bulb!” Bulbasaur said happily and waddled forwards, his little green seed shaking with each step he did.
    Awww...
    “Goodbye…. For now.” Alaska said with a wink, and Paige chirped loudly with laughter as they headed up the staircase, leaving half the people behind them looking like they’d been slapped.
    Yay, she won!! :D
    Offline October 2012-January 2013, then most likely January 2013-October 2014.
    I am GastlyMan on Serebii.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuuyrm_The_Noob View Post
    You're not a nerd until you become cold to reality, and live off videogames and the internet!

Have fun losing your soul to technology!
    I'm like a shadow who's always there, but never thought of.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Thanks a lot :D I thought too many journey fics on here involve the starters, and I think that some of the other Pokemon deserve a chance to shine :D

Here's Chapter Four, I hope that you all enjoy it :D Also, I realised I made a mistake and gave Alaska her bag in the last chapter when it should be at her house! I'll edit that up as soon as possible ;)

Chapter Four: Leaving on a Grand Adventure

Alaska couldn’t help but feel smug as she walked out of the Trainer House: she had just defeated her greatest rival, and very easily at that. The image of Chloe’s horrified face was now firm in Alaska’s memory, and she laughed to herself as she imagined it over and over again.

“Didn’t that make you feel aliiiive Paige?” Alaska asked, calling up to her Pidgey. Paige nodded and spun around happily in mid-air, not even slightly tired from that battle. “I knew you’d be happy, and we did perfectly!”

“Pidge Geeeeeee!” Paige replied, and soared up into the air and dived back down gracefully, managing to land perfectly on Alaska’s shoulder. Alaska just laughed and began wandering through Viridian City in peace. Now that she had completed this battle, there was only one thing left to do: begin her journey. Alaska had been waiting for this moment for many years, but as she headed back towards her house, Alaska suddenly felt very small. This would be the last time she would enter her house for many weeks, months, possibly years. The last time she would be in her room, see her family, watch her shows, have her mum’s food, the last time she’d do tons of things! Alaska would have to fend for herself now, and she hoped she would be able to handle it.

As long as I have my Pokemon, I’ll be fine. Alaska thought to herself. Paige had been her oldest and only friend for many years, and she pulled out the PokeBall that now contained Darwin the Mankey. If I keep these two with me, and whatever other Pokemon I catch, I will be fine. Besides, they could provide food if I get hungry. And Alaska laughed inside her head at her own wit. Paige seemed to have read her mind and glared at Alaska, her beady eyes narrowed.

“Pidgey Pid Pidgeee!” The Pidgey huffed, and fluttered back into the sky in protest, but Alaska could only laugh.

“It’s a good thing you’re coming with me, I’m going to need some comic relief!” She shouted, and Paige turned around in mid air and gasped: she hated being referred to as “comic relief”, and Alaska laughed and sprinted down the road.

“PIDGE!” Paige shouted and chased after her, glowing as she performed a Quick Attack. Alaska was struggling to laugh and run at the same time, but she saw a familiar dilapidated fence up ahead and she jumped over it. Paige soared narrowly past her, her outstretched wings whacking Alaska’s feet as she fell onto an old, brown bush. Alaska lay tangled in the dying branches for a few moments, wiping tears from her eyes.

“Oh god Paige, where would I be without you!” She laughed, rolling backwards out of the bush. Paige merely shrugged as she fluttered over, stretching out her talons to help Alaska get back up. Once she was back on her feet and had brushed broken branches off her clothes, Alaska turned around and smiled: she had conveniently landed into her backyard. Their half broken fence that she had recognised enclosed their small one-storey house, with white paint flakes resting like snow on the yellow and brown grass. Cracked flower pots were fill of shrivelled up flowers, and there were several other bushes as well that were dead as well. It had been a hot couple of weeks, and the Acevedo’s didn’t have the time or money to keep their garden in order, unlike the rest of their street with glossy green grass and bright rainbows of vegetable patches and flower gardens.

The outside of the house was in as much disrepair as the inside. The front window of Freddie’s bedroom was cracked, just like all of the bricks around it. Parts of the plumbing had broken, and most of the paint on the front door had peeled off like the fence. Alaska felt depressed staring at her house for too long: sad that their family wasn’t as well off as other people, but Alaska knew that her mother hated having such a messy house and garden and that it was really taking a toll.

“Come on then Paige,” Alaska said, wiping away a tear. “It’s time to say our goodbyes.”

“Pidgey Pidge.” Paige said, and she patted Alaska on the back. Alaska smiled, but then she scurried on inside, opening up the door and heading, for the last time, inside her house. The house was dark, and Alaska slowed down, stepping cautiously on the creaking floorboards. Had the power been cut again, or had they just not bothered to open the curtains?

“Hello….?” Alaska whispered, and Paige landed nervously on her shoulder. They crept passed Alaska’s bags, walking slowly into the kitchen, the only light coming from her father’s television in the distance.

“SURPRISE!” Suddenly light flooded the room as the curtains were flung open, and two people appeared in front of them. One of them was Robin, Alaska’s mother, while the second was the small bundle of joy that was Freddie.

Robin looked a lot like Alaska, except her black hair had nearly gone completely grey and her face was very wrinkled. The stress of the two jobs, financial problems and being close to eviction had really taken a toll on her looks, but Robin always had a smile and wouldn’t let anything get her down.

Freddie on the other hand was at the opposite end of the youth scale. He was only nine and still rather short, his head barely reaching over Alaska’s hips. He had wild black hair, a cute little face with big blue mystical eyes and wore the usual mismatched clothing of small children. He was oblivious to the issues of the family, and always managed to cheer them up.

“Oh my god, you guys didn’t have to do anything for me!” Alaska wailed, but she ran forwards and hugged the pair of them.

“Of course we had to!” Robin said, jokingly hitting her daughter. “We might not see you for months!” And then she grabbed Paige, who had taken off in fright, and gave the Pidgey a hug too.

“We made you some brownies!” Freddie explained, the cute lisp he had making Alaska smile despite what he’d just said. Freddie liked baking after he had received a cooking game from their grandmother, and always insisted on baking things for special occasions. However, he always misread the recipe and managed to stuff up whatever he made. He either poured in salt or sugar instead of flour, kept eggshells in when he cracked the eggs, or turned the oven up to twice the required temperature. Alaska and Robin exchanged nervous looks as Freddie put a tray onto the bench, the “brownies” inside. But it simply looked as if Freddie had sprinkled ash over bricks, as the kitchen knife Robin tried to put through nearly snapped in half.

“It looks really nice Freddie,” Alaska began, putting on her fakest of smiles. “But I’m really in a bit of a rush to get going on my journey.” While Alaska had all the time in the world, she didn’t know what else to stay to get out of eating the teeth-crunching brownies.

“Oh, ok.” Freddie said sadly, clutching his impossibly hard brownies. But than his face lit up and he grabbed a plastic bag from a cupboard. “You can just take the brownies with you on your trip!” Alaska’s heart sank, and Paige had to land in order to laugh into her wings.

“Thanks Freddie, that makes me feel better.” Alaska replied, and she tossed the plastic bag with the deadly brownies towards her bag, nearly taking a huge chunk of her wall out.

“So, are you leaving now?” Freddie asked, tears forming in his huge eyes. Alaska quickly gave him a hug, not wanting the guilt of him crying to hold her back.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine, and I’ll try and visit a few times.” Alaska explained, hugging him tightly. Freddie simply nodded, sniffing and sobbing loudly. He then pulled away from the hug, wiping his eyes, and rushed away to hide in the corridor.

“I feel so guilty.” Alaska moaned. Robin sighed and gave her daughter a tight hug.

“Don’t be, it’ll just hold you back.” Robin whispered. “You deserve to go on your journey, especially now of all times.” And she paused as they examined the mouldy, cracked walls and the holes in the carpet. “I want you to enjoy yourself, and I want you to make sure you do great things.” Alaska nodded, trying hard not to cry herself. Paige was flying in circles around them, tweeting insanely. Robin pulled out of the hug, trying hard not to cry.

“I guess this is me then.” Alaska whispered, and Paige tweeted excitedly at that. “Bye Dad!” William Acevedo didn’t reply verbally, but he did turn the television on and off twice, which they had taken to mean as goodbye. “If he moves, make sure you contact me.” Robin nodded, the tears now streaming down her face. Alaska wasn’t sure what else to say: over the past few weeks they had been building up to this, and during that time they had said all they could possibly say. Alaska didn’t want to start crying, and she just picked up her black bag and hoisted it onto her back, putting the brownie tin in just in case Freddie was watching.

“Pidge Pidgey Pidge Geeee!” Paige cried, and she managed to use her Gust to open the door. Alaska just laughed and took a step out, looking behind her as she did so. Freddie emerged from the shadows, standing alongside a tearful Robin as they watched Alaska leave. Both of them were waving, and Alaska smiled and waved back before leaving the house. She then walked quickly out of the property, heading onto the main street and off towards Route 2, pushing all thoughts of her family away as fewer houses began to pass them.

“Come on Paige,” Alaska shouted upwards to her trusted Pidgey. “It’s time this adventure got underway!”

“Pidge!” Paige agreed, and the two girls embarked down Route 2, leaving Viridian, their past lives and everything they knew behind, ready for their grand adventure.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast