MATURE: Hoenn Wars - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hoenn Wars

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hoenn Wars (A Travelsverse Fic) Ch. 5

Either A.D kicked arse or chewed bubble gum. And I don't see no gum =P

Love the chapters so far, keep 'em up, SaIn.

Run through any Wall Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

It was really good, the part where Ricky tried to save Savanah I was left hanging with more, and it was really cool how AD kicked those guy's asses.

All right, your description is great, I can see the fight clearly which is something hard to do in fics that focus on scene breaks. Your characters, they're your biggest accomplishment, it's a fic based on an RP whcih is usually hard for someone to adapt perfectly unless they really pay a lot of attention and care about the characters, you adapted them perfectly, even AD who I have a lot of trouble to get used to myself, this is a great fic and one of the few fics where the characters themselves are enough to make it good and the fact it already has a simple and cool plot makes it even better.

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A/N: This chapter actually requires you to read a bit of the Travelsverse backstory I put up in the Atlas. I hate making someone read supplementary material, but there's no justification to go in-depth about the occurrence in-story, but with Ricky's personality and the plot, it had to come up :/

Also, this is the first chapter entirely from one side's point of view.

Chapter 6: Plans

Ricky flipped through the channels, keeping an eye on how the reporters skewed the events. He had an innate distrust of the mass media, but he had learned that if you looked over all of them, you could get a general idea of what was going on by ignoring what they had to say to stay on the air and comparing everything else to other stations.

He flipped the channel back to the one broadcasting from Rustboro, which was sickeningly skewed towards Magma to the point of not even being funny. When they had found out Maxie’s adoptive son was in the city, they had gone from ‘we sympathize with the heroic members of Team Magma’ to ‘Team Magma’s members are just short of sainthood, fart rainbows, and cause spontaneous floral growth where they walk’.

Still, they had the only remotely hot female anchor in all of Hoenn, and that relieved a bit of the stress he was under.

Ricky was surprised, though, when the channel blinked to Roxanne making an announcement. He had an idea of what it was, since Roxanne was a suck-up of incredible proportions, though.

“I, Gym Leader Roxanne of Rustboro City, Principal and Founder of the Trainers’ School, and authority on Rock-type Pokémon, declare that I ally myself with those of the organization known as Team Magma in their humanitarian pursuits. I also will let it be known that the City of Rustboro welcomes them with open arms, and that all of our resources are at their disposal.”

Ricky whistled. Silver was good. Ricky usually had to use his charms to get into the pants of an important female, and use any of the possible plots from there on out, but Silver wasn’t like that. Just a genius, Ricky guessed. He also figured that a bunch of other Leaders would start announcing loyalties.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. Ricky’s hand shot to a concealed knife, but stopped. Ryuu’s voice came through the door.

“We’re done with the pits and other fortifications, Sir,” he said.

“Good. You’re free to do whatever you want now, until we get more orders.” Ricky himself looked over at the locked book Silver had handed him. Its contents were rather interesting, if not slightly worrying in that it meant Ricky had a liability on his team. He was probably going to finish reading it in his free time.

---

“Yes, Sir,” Ryuu said from the other side of the door. He wondered what he should do the rest of the day. He had already recorded everything, and setting up the defenses didn’t seem important enough to warrant writing down. He decided he would find Savannah, and ask her for some fighting lessons. He had survived the aerial battle because of luck, and luck didn’t last.

“Training?” Savannah asked when he found her. “Um, I-I don’t… I mean, I’ve never really trained someone, and… but, I mean, if you want to learn, maybe I can… I mean… w-well, let’s see your stance, okay?” Ryuu took his dagger in a reverse grip, with the blade against his forearm. As an afterthought, he spread his legs to shoulder width. “No, no, that’s not right. Here, you’re much better off like this.” Savannah grabbed him by the shoulders, put him in a crouching position with his off-hand closer to her, grabbed a handful of dirt and put it in his off-hand, and flipped the dagger in his hand to be held loosely in a forward grip, all before he could protest. “This way you can do more than just a downward slash, and you can blind your opponent with the dirt. You have a very close-range weapon, so fight dirty- pragmatism keeps you alive, not chivalry. When you’ve blinded your opponent, stab them in the stomach, or any other undefended area you can hit. Attack quickly, and don’t throw the dagger, ever- it’s not made for that, so it’ll be hard to do it right, anyway, and even if you hit your opponent, you’re down a weapon, and that’s deadly.”

Through all this, Ryuu really tried to listen, and not pay attention to the fact that a pretty girl was touching his hand. He was determined to not look like a dumbass who couldn’t interact with a female, and was definitely not going to blush, no matter what. In fact, if he hadn’t been completely focusing on not looking like a dumbass, he probably would have heard everything she said and not looked like a dumbass.

“Um… could you repeat that?” Ryuu asked, his brain finally catching up with the fact he should be blushing. The realization hit Savannah at the same time, making her turn redder than her uniform.

“O-ohmygodI’msorryifIdidsomethingwrongamIsupposetobesorryImeanImeanImeanI HAVE TO GO!” She turned and sprinted away at a speed Ryuu knew he was never going to catch up with. He sighed dejectedly, and sheathed his dagger. He decided he was going to go home and update his journal with the rest of today.

---

Ricky awoke at midnight to his cell phone ringing. Checking it, it was Silver, which didn’t surprise him. Johnnie calling would mean very bad things for Johnnie, and they were the only two with his number- well, them and Maxie, now, but he doubted Maxie would call him directly.

“Oi?”

“Hey, Ricky. It’s Silver. I have a favor to ask.”

“Oh really? At midnight?”

“Yeah. In case you missed the news, Roxanne’s on our side now, and Flannery’s formalized Lavaridge’s alliance with us. Brawly and Wallace are on board with Aqua, though.”

“Okay. So?”

“So we’re on even ground with Aqua, and it’s always good to be a step ahead or a step above your opponent. I think we can get another city on our side.”

“How so?”

“In Fortree City, you know Winona stepped down a while ago and her daughter Talia took over, right? Well, I could get her on our side, but I’m tied down here in Rustboro.”

“So what do I need to do?”

“Well, all you need to do is talk to her and tell her a code word.”

Ricky waited, but Silver didn’t elaborate. “What would this code word be?”

“My name- my real name.”

That woke Ricky up. “Why would that matter, Silver? To most people, it’s just a mouthful of gibberish- I thought only us three and Maxie knew it. Why would it matter to some chick-“ It suddenly hit Ricky. “Dude, isn’t she only seventeen? I’m pretty sure that breaks both the age and the whole four years thing.”

“She’s nineteen! And it’s not like that!”

Ricky grinned. It was very rarely that he got to tease Silver over something, and he was going to take full advantage of this. “But still, with you being away from Hoenn for so long, that means you either met her when she was-“ he quickly did the math in his head- “eleven, or you two ‘hit it off’ in the past few months.”

“I already said it’s not like that! She’s smart, and pretty, and a good trainer!”

Ricky smirked. “Actually, you haven’t been to Fortree since you got back from wherever, unless you went there before the whole Lilycove thing, so that means that she was nine when you guys met. Wow, Silver, catch them young?”

“Ni- what? She was thirteen, the same age I was. You guys missed four years, remember? Look, just tell her my name and that we need her help. She doesn’t exactly know I’ve gotten back into the Team, so she might not believe you at first. Also, don’t hit on her or else.”

“Is that a threat to protect your oh-so-innocent girlfriend?” Ricky said in the most saccharine voice he could muster.

“No, I mean she’ll taze you, kick you in the balls, and have a flock of birds peck your eyes out if you screw with her. I’m giving you fair warning.”

“Oh. I’ll head up with my team tomorrow.”

---

Ricky flinched as light hit his face. Damn it, is it morning already? He groggily got out of bed and grabbed his gear. Any of his uniforms would be too obvious- red or brown in a wetlands area wouldn't blend in too well. Do I still have that gillie suit? No, it's back in Lavaridge... Ricky sighed. He didn't have any clothes that were suitable for sneaking around the wetlands around Fortree. He rummaged around his bag to grab his brown uniform, since it wouldn't be as obvious as the red one...

And he pulled out a dark green one. "What the- I don't remember having one of these." To be sure, he checked the tag on the bag, where he had his name... "SilverA Millions. Figures. He needs to start telling me before he drops stuff in my lap." Ricky slipped on the dark green uniform over a set of more casual clothes, finding it in his size and not Silver's- as expected. He then grabbed his knife-bracer, various knives, his handgun and a suppressor, and a length of garrote wire and hid them on his person.

"O'Connor! Louise! Asakura!" he yelled as he walked outside. "Gather in ten. We have a new mission. Grab wetlands gear if you have any." Fifteen minutes later, they were in the air and Ricky was explaining the plan to them. "We're going to set down south of Fortree and continue on foot, to be safe. O'Connor, you're going to Dig in and make a tunnel to the Gym. Don't come up unless you're needed. Louise, Asakura, you two are going to keep in the air and radio me if you see anything suspicious. If things go haywire, we're all regrouping at the end of O'Connor's tunnel, okay? I'm going to go in as a civilian, and try and get in that way, so there's the least amount of suspicion. Let's go."

Ricky's Charizard set down, letting Ricky and Caleb off of its back. Ricky called it back, and Caleb called out his Flareon and had it start digging a hole in the wet ground. Ricky signaled to Ryuu and Savannah to head up, and Ricky himself ducked into the tall, thick grasses of the Route.

---

Savannah shifted uncomfortably on her Tropius as Ryuu and her circled the city at about cloud level. Ryuu's Flygon was still beat up, so they had to ride on the only other flyer they had... together.

"I, uh, don't see much," Ryuu said. "Do you?"

"M-me?" Savannah said, startled. "W-well, um... I-I don't know? What are we looking for, specifically?"

"Ricky said to look for anything suspicious."

"W-well, what would be suspicious? F-Fortree's kinda a... weird city, y-y'know? They live in trees, after all..."

Savannah managed to not notice the incredibly uncomfortable silence that followed.

"Well," Ryuu said, "why are you on the squad? I'm here because I have some... well, problems, but apparently they might be useful in some situation or another that Ricky could exploit. And you?"

"I-I'm here because my c-cousin, Silver... he put me with Ricky because they were friends, and Silver's always worried about me, ever since we grew up together... but I want to help! I-I want to make the world a better place... a greener place."

"Really?" Ryuu looked down at the ground, far below. "I don't really remember the exact reason I joined Team Magma in the first place. I don't regret doing it, though. It's certainly helping with my... problem."

Savannah wanted to know just what this 'problem' was, but was too scared to ask. Suddenly, their radio crackled, and Ricky's voice came through. "I'm on the outskirts of the city. Anything I need to know before I get into the Gym?"

"No," Ryuu answered. "Everything looks normal."

"Got it. Going in."

---

Ricky shed his uniform behind one of Fortree's famous trees and stuffed it in his bag, revealing civilian clothes. He did a quick check to make sure his weapons were still well-concealed, and grabbed a rung of a nearby rope ladder and climbed up into Fortree proper.

First, Ricky was amazed by the city. He had only come here once before, and had loved it. The levels upon levels of complex pathways and interconnected houses and bridges gave the impression of a carefully constructed city, yet one that was one with nature. Some kids swung past him on a vine, yelling like wild children.

Ricky made his was onto a sturdy rope bridge between two massive trees, heading towards the Gym. He climbed ladders, swung on vines, and dropped down a level once or twice. The Gym was in the very center of the city, and the pathways to it were designed to be a challenge to trainers, invaders, and bloodsucking media storymongers, and give the Gym time to prepare for them by setting up deathtraps with various levels of deadliness; annoy, maim to interrogate, and almost kill, respectively. Winona... did not like reporters, and Talia hadn't changed the setup much.

However, as Ricky came within view of the Gym, a horde of reporters stood outside its door, banging on every flat surface to try and get in and extract a story from the poor girl inside. Ricky retreated, grabbing his radio.

"O'Connor do you read?"

"Yeah..."

"O'Connor, are you right beneath the Gym?"

"Yeah."

"Can you bore a small hole, an almost unnoticeable one, but one I could get through, in the side of the tree, about ten feet below the floor of the Gym?"

"Got it."

Ricky dropped down to the level below the Gym and watched as a tiny hole was made in the side of the tree, then was enlarged, by Caleb's Flareon. In short order, Ricky was lifting up a section of the Gym's floor and peeking his head out to check around like some sort of comic plumber.

"Hey! Who're you!" Ricky, acting instinctively, narrowly avoided a boot to the face by dropping back down into the hole. "I told you damn journalists to piss off! I have no comment on either Aqua or Magma!"

Ricky, from the safety of the hole, replied. "I'm not with the media. I'm here on request from a friend, and I couldn't get in through the door."

"So you dig a goddamn hole in my floor?"

"Look, it's obvious you're angry, but Miss Talia, I have important news from a friend of yours, though I'd rather discuss him where other ears won't hear." Talia didn't yell back, so Ricky had Caleb lift him up and motioned for him to leave. "Talia, my name is Ricky Fowler. I'm not sure if our mutual friend has mentioned me to you, but A- Silver sent me to talk to you, since he's tied up in Rustboro now. Can we talk somewhere safer?"

"I don't trust you. If he sent you, he should have told you something."

"Yes, yes, I know his real name. I'll say it when we're in a place nobody else can hear it-"

"Ricky, was it? Well, I'm not going to go to a place where nobody else can hear with some guy that just dug a hole into my Gym and claims he knows my boyfriend. Just because I'm nineteen doesn't make me stupid, you know."

Ricky realized what he had sounded like. "Alright, fine. Alaois sent me. Alaois Millions, in the rare case there's more than one person with the name Alaois."

"His birthday?"

"He doesn't know. He celebrates it every New Years, though."

Talia relented. "Okay, what did he send you about?"

"He wants your help with Team Magma."

"Bull." Talia looked Ricky in the eye. "Even before he left, he hated pretty much everything Team Magma stood for. For all I know, you're just one of Maxie's goon's trying to exploit Al again."

God, she even has a pet name for him! This is going to be great when I talk to Silver again! "Okay, then, how do I prove I'm with Silver and not Maxie? I can't just call him up, seeing as the one flaw Fortree has is that it has no cell towers anywhere near it."

Talia thought for a moment. "Nope, you can't convince me. The last time I talked to Silver, he made no mention of Team Magma, so I have no reason to believe you. Now, can you please leave?"

Ricky facepalmed, quickly thinking of something that could prove he was with Silver. "Wait," he said. "wait. How would Maxie even know about you and Silver? I'm one of the few people he trusts, and even I didn't know until last night."

"I'm sure Maxie has a lot of spies on him, and always keeps tabs on him."

Ricky chuckled. "You've got it backwards. Silver handles most of the black-ops missions, precisely becauase he was so vocal about hating Team Magma years ago. If things were traced to him, then it was obviously just a ploy to make Team Magma look bad. Maxie has to stay squeaky-clean for the media."

"Okay, so you might not be from Maxie. But I still don't think Silver would be with Team Magma."

Ricky suddenly remembered something. He grabbed his bag and dropped it on the floor. "Then check his signature on the tag on this bag. SilverA. Does that prove it?"

Talia looked at the tag. "I'd say you could have stolen it, but Silver is too careful for that. So he... he's really back with Team Magma?"

"Yeah. He said it'd be hard for you to believe at first.'

"But... why?"

"I don't know, specifically. Maybe it's got to do with his dad. Or he's planning something bigger. Or he just had nowhere else to go. But he said to ask you for help."

Talia shook her head slowly, a bit unbelieving. "All right, then. I guess I finally have something to tell the press."

"Or you could just escape through the tunnel and announce it from Rustboro."

Talia looked at the door, then the hole. "No, I'm going to do it here. I need to stay with Fortree. After all, announcing a city's allegiance from another city would be pretty meaningless, right?" She walked to the door to make the announcement.

---

Silver looked over the report frantically. "Red coat, cane, extremely powerful Pokemon... shit, shit, shitshitshit. He's already here? I thought he'd at least go to Johto first, but... shit. He's coming for me already." He leaned back in his chair, looking blankly at the ceiling. "I need to change the plans. All of them, damnit. At least we should have Talia on our side now, and Ricky's ability to react to everything. Those two are the cornerstones..." Silver turned in his chair to face a wall completely covered with pictures, strings connecting them, notes, and plans. Lots of plans. "I had it all perfect... now I'm not sure if I can make sure we survive. A.D. won't kill anyone... I hope. I hope he won't kill me. He will put me out of commission, though. Which means Talia is going to have to take over... damn, I didn't want to have to do this to her." Silver sighed. "Damn it!"
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hoenn Wars (A Travelsverse Fic) Ch. 6

Great chapter, SI. I especially like the dialog/interaction between Ricky and Silver. Very good description and wonderfully flowing prose as usual. Keep this up! It wasn't really that much of a bother to read thru the info on the Atlas either. I encourage people to do that, it's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks, Legacy.

Also, if anyone wants to be tagged, let me know.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tag me please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, A.D actually is like the Doctor: he inspires fear in people he's met, even though he just wanders the regions. =P

Sope, you revealed Silver's name, eh? I would've thought you'd keep it quiet for a bit of mystery. Regardless, lovely chapter, plot advancing rather nicely, I can't wait for future updates =3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I thought about keeping it a mystery, but decided it'd be a bit pointless, since, as mentioned by Ricky, it's just a pointless garble of letters to most people (though it is a real name). It wouldn't be relevant to make it a mystery, because there'd be no real drive to solve it, and the reveal wouldn't work all that well.

Besides, this way, I get another reveal later on.

Run through any Wall Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Alaois? I was expecting something more gibberish sounding after what Ricki said before.

Now I wonder why Silver was so mad about AD being in Hoenn, guess I'll have to check the Atlas too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It could just be, y'know, Silver is on a major organized crime syndicate and A.D. generally stomps on their throats and kills their dreams via giant explosions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Huuuuge explosions, with a Xanatos Gambit running in the background just incase he fails =P

Anyway, no chapter update, SaIn? You did say every Wednesday, and I'd like to see your plots continue =3

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tried writing a couple things, most of them fell through on how I wanted them to turn out, and I'm also writing something else as a pet project IRL, so I didn't finish the update. Sorry. Working on it... if it isn't up today, it'll be up tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, don't worry, take you time =P

The Monster Man Monster Dungeon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Easily one of the better fics I've read. Like someone else I ound it hard with all the jumping around at first, but it is sucking me in and your writing is top draw.

Looking forward to updates!
    A NEW Pokemon Forum with FREE EV trained Pokemon to new members and the opportunity to earn even more FREE EV trained Pokemon!

Monster Dungeon

URPG Stats

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hoenn Wars, Chapter Seven: Sacrifice

Chapter 7: Sacrifice

Antoinette locked her bedroom door, then turned the alarm system on, set up the various pressure plates around her house, and turned on the cameras. Security was important.

Then Antoinette grabbed her bag that held two changes of clothes, a makeup kit, her shiny new fully automatic, 700 rounds per minute assault rifle, and her four Pokeballs. It was mission time.

She walked down the beach to the hotel her squad was meeting before they joined with the rest of the large group Archie was sending to attack Fortree. They needed to attack quickly, before Team Magma got supplies to them and fortified their position; for either team, the city was easily defensible because of its design and a foothold towards the other team. For Aqua, it was the first step west, towards the mountains that Magma occupied; for Magma, a step towards the sea. Along with that, the city was famous for its many Flying-type specialists, and an aerial battalion would be a great advantage.

Antoinette opened the door, half-expecting Rex to attack again. However, the only one there was Alden, who was writing something down. When he noticed she had walked in, he pocketed whatever it was and saluted.

"Don't do that," she muttered. "I hate having to suck up to Archie; I'm not going to make you guys do the same things he has everyone do."

Alden hesitated but complied. "Got it. You're the laid-back type. As long as we're still doing what we have to in order to help our goals, then I'll do whatever I'm told."

Antoinette glanced at him. "Oh really? What's your story, anyway? I understand you were trapped in a desert, but why'd you join Team Aqua?"

"Because it was needed! The world has corrupted the land and destroyed it, torn all life from parts of it... but the sea still has a chance. We can clean up the sea, remove the toxins people have placed within... but the land is long gone. I admire that Team Mamga is trying to help, but their goal is doomed from the start." Alden looked Antoinette in the eye. "Why did you join?"

Antoinette shrugged. "I lived here in Lilycove, after the tsunami. With... a friend. He left, but left me his house. I promised I'd keep it safe for him. Aqua came into the picture, and persuaded me more or less in the same fashion that the Mafia persuades people to pay up... except when I didn't, the collector didn't come back. I was recruited by a much nicer man after that; at the time, I needed the money, and I was good at what I was told to do."

The door creaked open, and Antoinette's hand flashed to her dirk, but it was only Donovan. Antoinette relaxed.

"What about you, prettyboy?" Alden asked. "Why are you here in Team Aqua?"

"I'd rather not talk about it, thank you. Also, Rex is close behind; I passed him as he was harassing an old lady crossing the street."

"Come on, prettyboy, why don't you want to talk about it? We all have a past, don't we?"

Donovan glared at Alden. "I said I wasn't going to talk about it, thank you."

"What's wrong, pretty-"

"Alden." Antoinette said the name with the tone that implied great physical pain if he continued. Alden promptly shut up. "Do you guys have all the gear you need for the assault?" Alden and Donovan both nodded. "Good. When Rex gets here, we'll head towards the Safari Zone, where we've been told to gather. We're near the rear of the assaulting group, so we won't have to deal with the brunt of the defending forces, but that doesn't mean you guys get to slack off. If you let your guard down, it's entirely your fault when you get shot or step on a mine." The door opened, revealing Rex. "Okay, then, let's go."

---

"DAMN RAIN AND MUD!"

Donovan back away from Antoinette, sliding behind another grunt from a different squad. She hadn't taken well to... the outdoors in general, really. Alden was holding up by more or less by grumbling about everything, and Rex was throwing his pickaxes at any small creatures he saw. Donovan himself was trying to ignore the rain, but it wasn't working very well; he still wasn't as... violent as Antoinette about it, though.

"Oi!" someone shouted from up front. "Time to set up camp. We attack before dawn tomorrow! Get some shuteye now or you'll be sorry!"

Donovan sighed. It was about time- they had been marching for most of the day now, for two days in a row. He was tired... and going to find a tent area far away from Antoinette so he wasn't the unlucky bastard who had to wake her up in the morning.

In a flash, every square inch of ground was covered in canvas as each person claimed their space. And, of course, the only open space was next to the girls renowned for liking sleep.

Donovan sighed, resigned to his doom, when Alden tapped him on his shoulder. "My tent's big enough for two, prettyboy."

Donovan raised an eyebrow. "Are you offering it to me? Why?"

"I'm offering it to you because otherwise Axboy will ask if he can stay with me, and I'm a fan of waking up in the morning with all my limbs still there. And, this way, I can pester you until you tell me why you joined." Donovan scowled, but followed him to his tent. "So, why are you here? And, if you won't tell me, why not?"

Donovan sighed. "I'm not a fan of talking about the past, but fine. After the tsunami, I came to help out- and really, who didn't? There, I met someone I now call a friend... he had lost everything to the tsunami, as far as he was concerned. His entire family except him was wiped out. He was pretty far gone himself. Eventually, he joined Team Magma out of grief, but... well, something went bad, and he... long story short, he's dead now because of Team Magma. That's why I'm here. Not out of some sense of loyalty, or belief, but revenge. Once I get that, I'll leave Team Aqua."

Alden nodded. "Okay. But... you say revenge like there's a specific person you're gunning for."

Donovan nodded. "The way my friend died was because of the direct machinations of one person; Maxie's son, the one who calls himself Silver. I'm after him."

---

As the assault party grew closer, Rex grinned. He was going to have fun.

The people up front signaled that they didn't see any guards posted. Apparently Magma underestimated how quickly Aqua would attack. Rex climbed up a tree and stacked up next to a door, waiting for the signal. Donovan was next to him, Alden behind him, and Antoinette standing back, watching for the signal. The orders were clear: kill anyone who resisted.

The signal came. Rex turned and kicked in the door, baring his climbing axes-

The only thing in the room was a lone teddy bear. From the confused sounds coming from the surrounding houses, nobody was there, either. All the houses were empty.

A red dot blinked in the corner of Rex's eye, and he suddenly realized what was going on.

"Oh, SHIT!" Glad his team was on the lowest floor, he turned and shoved Alden and Donovan out the door, hoping he had acted quick enough. "Get off the city!"

---

Talia wiped a tear from her eye, clutching the device in her hands.

"Are you sure you want to do it?" Ricky asked. "I can do it for you."

"No... it's my home. I have to be the one to do it."

Ricky nodded, understanding. "You need to do it soon, though. Maxie's orders, direct... are you going to be okay?"

"I'm not sure." Talia pressed the button in the center of the device.

From their vantage point atop the weather institute, Ricky and Talia could see the fireball erupt from Fortree City, destroying generations of careful planning and building, and, Ricky hoped, hundreds of Aqua fanatics. He wished there was another way, but Maxie had decided that the city was too much of a liability, and that it should be abandoned. Ricky had helped lead the evacuation, but then the order came to set up bombs in the city and blow them up when Aqua came to take the city. Talia had decided she should be the one to do it...

Ricky looked over and saw the tears steaming from the girl's face. She whimpered quietly, trying to be strong. What the hell is wrong with me? he thought. This nineteen year old girl just destroyed the city she grew up in, and I'm just standing here! This... is inexcusable. Ricky reached out to pat her on the shoulder, but stopped. "Come on," he said quietly, "we should head back to Rustboro or Lavaridge to regroup. If you think you're going to be okay, you can head out alone, or you can ride on Blaze with me."

Ricky turned away, ashamed of himself, and went to check flying conditions within the Institute. Talia just kept sobbing softly to herself.

+++

A/N: I'm not a military-type guy, so I'm not all that knowledgeable on guns. My experience with them is sleeping through a hunters' safety course and not much else. I'm relying on Wikipedia for most of my info; if I screw something up, blame the internet.

@; Hide in Plain Sight
    Last edited by Sarcastically Insane; 17th June 2011 at 04:06 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast