His Father's Eyes (Diamondshippy)

Thread: His Father's Eyes (Diamondshippy)

Blog Entries

Default His Father's Eyes (Diamondshippy)

Hoping to fill the vast lack of Diamondshipping fanfiction, last night I typed up this little ball of angst... Enjoy.
    (Umm, Delia, obviously.)

You have your father's eyes, you know.
    I don't know how many times I've told him that, or how many times I've thought it, but it's true. And every time lately, the same response.
    "Whatever, Mom."
    He's growing up so fast, isn't he?
    Almost makes me cry. Every "whatever" cuts straight to my soul. He has no idea how much it means.
    But who am I to blame him? He never really knew his father.
    His father's eyes.
    He has them, yes, but they're different. His eyes haven't seen all his father's have seen, not yet, at least. He hasn't seen the blood, the pain, the corruption that power eventually brings. The things that no mother wants their child to ever see.
    And they haven't seen his own father.
    It's for the best, I want to remind myself. We both agreed that he'd be better off with just me. And in some ways, he is. But is it really better?
    Such a difficult choice, that. Force him to spend his childhood deprived of his father, or put him in the line of harm that might result from that knowledge?
    Impossible, right?
    Sometimes the best choices are the most painful.
    I look at all the photos on the mantle, and realize that one day he will realize exactly what I mean. The day he'll have to make a choice of his own, to follow in his father's footsteps, or continue down his own road.
    My heart aches for that day. I know it will inevitably come, and all will be revealed to him. All there is to do now is sit and wait. No use worrying about the future.
    Maybe he'll make the right decision, maybe he won't. I'm not even sure what the right decision is at this point. There are no easy answers in life. And there are no ways to return to the past.
    Except for the four little words I promised to give the boy that day nine years ago. And I still haven't given them to him yet.
    I pick up the phone.
    "Mom?"
    "I just wanted to give you something... from your dad."
    "What's that?"
    I pause. So much weight is traveling on these words, but he won't realize what they're worth until that one day. But I know, and that's all that really matters.
    "Ash, I love you."
    He doesn't say anything for about a minute. Then he finally speaks.
    "...tell him thanks."
    He hangs up. I want to cry.

He really does have his father's eyes. And one day, he'll know exactly what I mean.
    I, personally, can hardly wait.
    LJ~dA~R100~YT~Twitter~Facebook~Last.fm~Tumblr~Glacidia Network

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

A very nice character study not only of Delia, but of Giovanni as well.

Blog Entries

Thanks.
    (winces at the words "character study")

A bitch lives as free as a bird that can never be caught. I'm a bitch. I'll crush anyone that stands in my way! And I do what the hell I want!

I read this because I wanted to write a Delia fic and I think this does a good job of not only showing Delia's trauma but also of the tragedy of Giovanni's existence. You can see that Ash really doesn't care, but that's because Gio/Delia haven't made it clear to Ash the nature of their relationship and there is no bond between father and son whatsoever. And considering that Gio was disliked by his own mother (from reading synopses of the CD dramas), it makes his relationship with Ash that much more tragic because he's failing perhaps in the same as Madame Boss did.
    Protect the World from Devastation -- a fanfic
    Has anyone else noticed a weird progression in fanaticism as the generations progressed? Giovanni must define himself in the presence of the religious fanatics and the cruel sociopath....

Blog Entries

No, I don't think I ever implied that Giovanni doesn't love Ash... quite the opposite... He loves him quite a bit, so much that for his own good, they decided to hide the truth from him until he grew up.