EVERYONE: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 18: A Song of Thunder)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 18: A Song of Thunder)

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 18: A Song of Thunder)

The Contents of Book 1:

Episode 1: A Song of Beginnings
    Episode 2: The Song of the Forest
    Episode 3: The Song of an Idol
    Episode 4: The Song of the Boulder
    Episode 5: The Song of the Ancient Past
    Episode 6: A Song of Warning
    Episode 7: The Song of the Mountain
    Episode 8: Team Rocket's Song
    Episode 9: The Song of the Moon Stone
    Episode 10: The Song of the Dancing Water Flowers
    Episode 11: The Song of the Cascade
    Episode 12: The Song of the Cape
    Episode 13: Bill's Song
    Episode 14: A Song of Intrigue
    Episode 15: A Song of the Sea
    Episode 16: A Soldier's Song
    Episode 17: A Song of Reflection
    Episode 18: A Song of Thunder
    Episode 19: A Song of a Mystery
    Episode 20: A Song of Nostalgia
    Episode 21: A Song of Celebration
    Episode 22: A Song of Home
    Episode 23: A Song of Urgency
    Episode 24: A Song of Searching
    Episode 25: The Clue's Song
    Episode 26: The Song of Rivals
    Episode 27: The Song of Spring
    Episode 28: The Song of a Rainbow

More to come!
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 26th November 2011 at 02:21 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 1: A Song of Beginnings)

@Gastly's Mama, @AetherX, @Johnny Gaddar, @Wes118

Rated E10+ for fantasy violence and frightening images

Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale

Book 1: Kanto

Episode 1: A Song of Beginnings

The morning sun was peeking through the trees as I strolled down Route 1 that day, playing "Hearthome Pilgrim" on Ashi, the chromatic harmonica I bought not long before I received Liana, my first Pokemon.

Yes, I love playing music enough to name my instruments.

Not only do I play for fun, I also play it when I am out and about spinning tales for all ages. That's the best part of being a Loremaster--seeing the children's (and children at heart's) eyes light up at I tell them about why there's a huge Moon Stone in Mt. Moon, why Lotads call when it's about to rain, or how Pikachus got their brown stripes.

What is a Loremaster, you ask?

See, to anyone else on the road that day, I could've looked like any other trainer off to the League or a coordinator off to the Grand Festival. But Loremasters are different--their job is to discover and share the lore our world has, and until recently, they didn't have a quest they could go on.

Then a couple of years ago, Champion Lance got the idea to invite a few Loremasters to share their skills before the battles began--not just any Loremaster, mind you, but Loremasters that wore the Star of Knowledge--a special star shaped pin comprised of eight points. The Gym Leaders had been unofficially giving out the points that made up the pin a long time ago to Loremasters that pleased them. Lance made the giving of Star Points official, and now a lot more Loremasters like me were setting out on a journey of their own.

As for Liana and me, we were on our way to Viridian City to sign up for our quest and receive the star's center, which would be pinned on the red sweater I wore, which complimented the white shirt I wore beneath it and the black pants I wore with it.

[Kenna? Why couldn't we have just flown to Viridian?] Liana complained as she hopped over a few rocks in the road, stopping my song.

"It's a nice day, Liana, so I thought we'd walk instead." I assured the little yellow mouse by my side as I pocketed Ashi. "It's not that far..."

A pop of a Poke Ball opening got my attention, and Delphi, my Espeon, was by Liana's side. [If you're tired, I can carry you on my back.] she offered to the Pikachu lagging behind me.

[Okay!] Liana's mood perked up considerably as she jumped on Delphi's back and immediately nuzzled against the Espeon's soft lavender fur.

I took a moment to rest on a rock by the roadside, but then a breeze blew my red Poke Ball fedora off my head and into the grass. <i>Oh great..</i> I got down on my knees and crawled through the grass, the wind blowing my deep brown hair and the feather bob I tied it into every day into a frazzled mess.

The ruby on Delphi's head glinted, and my hat appeared at her feet, which she then carried to me. [Here's your hat back...]

"Thank you." I replied as I retied the small bob that looked like a Torchic feather, then put my hat back on. "We're almost to Viridian, see?" I added as pointed out buildings coming into view in the distance

[Bout time...] Liana sighed.

"I didn't forget anything before we left for Pallet, did I?" I asked Delphi. We were going across five regions and making five Stars of Knowledge, and I didn't want to find out I'd left something behind in Celadon when I was halfway across the world.

Dephi's ruby glinted again as she read the contents of my bag. [You have camping supplies, enough food to get us to Pewter at least, some spare outfits and pairs of gloves, toiletries...]

[That's a relief...] Liana giggled. She knew that if I was leaving on a long trip, I would inevitably forget something, usually my toothbrush.

[Including a toothbrush.] Delphi added. [Back issues of Trainer's Weekly and Windsong, a portable DVD player...]

[What movies did Kenna bring?] Liana asked

[I know for a fact that The Entei King is in there for us...] Delphi reported. [The Little Gorebyss, The Song Mage Chronicles: Once Upon a Wishsong...the only other DVDs I can see are volume 1 of Miracle U and Song Cards--but those are for Kenna to watch]

['Miracle U' is a little too lovey dovey for me...] Liana mused. [But we can watch 'Song Cards', right?]

[Of course.] Delphi assured Liana before continuing taking inventory of my bag. [Berries, Pokemon medicine, soda, water, lemonade, whistles Diana and Cecilia, and the Pokeflute Dali.]

"That's everything." I told Dephi.

[But what about Maria?] Liana asked.

[A guitar case would be much too heavy to carry in a bag, much less cart around for five regions.] Delphi explained as we walked onto the path leading into Viridian. [So if you want a campfire sing along, I can telepathically bring Maria here from anywhere in the world.]

[COOL!!!!] Liana was impressed. I stifled a giggle at her starry eyes as we entered the Pokemon Center--it wasn't like she hadn't seen Delphi's psychic powers before.

The Pokemon Center wasn't terribly busy--there were a few aspiring trainers and coordianators in line getting ready for their journeys, but unlike them, all I had to do was fill out an information card (such as my name, my hometown, Loremaster rank, Pokemon with me, and so on) and get the center of the Star of Knowledge pinned on me.

The whole process took maybe twenty minutes, and we were on our way shortly after noon. I wasn't really in any hurry, so we grabbed lunch at a burger stand by the park. As I bit into my double cheeseburger, my mind swirled with what I would see in Pewter. Brock was a fine storyteller in his own right, so much so that he had made countless TV, radio, and live appearances all around the world. But he was a trainer first, and a Loremaster second--even so, how was I going to impress someone who had collected millions of stories from his own travels?

I figured I would find a way soon enough.

To Be Continued...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 1: A Song of Beginnings)

wow very interesting. i would like to see how this plays out and hopefully it works well.

YouTube (Minecraft Season 2 (1.0) up) | GPX+ | First Fic | Twitter | My site |
    Avatar made by Aori | click the banner to go to my Forum | white friend code - 4427 4825 2666

Blog Entries

This is still a bit rough (as I'm still ironing out plot details and things), but for what it is, I feel I'm pretty happy with it.

Next episode we'll meet the rest of Kenna's team as they go through Viridian Forest

Blog Entries

sweet this fic seems like it will work.

Avatar made by Aori | click the banner to go to my Forum | white friend code - 4427 4825 2666

Blog Entries

Rather than telling the entire five region journey in one thread--I gave each region a "book" so I could manage it better.

If you want to be tagged, just let me know

Blog Entries

sure tag me for every chapter please

Blog Entries

Okay then.

Surprisingly, I'm most looking foward to Misty's part of the story (Episodes 10 and 11) thus far

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 2: Song of the Forest)

@Gastly's Mama, @Wes118, @AetherX, @Johnny Gaddar

Episode 2: The Song of the Forest

The sun was just sinking over the trees when we arrived in Viridian Forest that night. Granted, we could hypothetically continue on into the night, but we had two problems--the team would likely be tired, and I wanted to be well rested before I performed before Brock.

The plan for tomorrow involved going to see his storytelling skill up close before I performed for him one on one, so I had an idea of his style and what he would be looking for when it was my turn to perform with a Star Point at stake. But if everyone wanted to watch a DVD of him performing before bedtime, that was fine too--one more chance for me to study arguably the best storyteller in the world.

We made camp in a tree filled clearing nearby a stream, so after pitching my tent and allowing Liana and Delphi to lie down, I retrived the other four Poke Balls I was carrying and heaved them to the starry sky. "Come on out, everyone!"

A Ninetales was first to materialize. [Ah...so nice to finally be out and about for a while.] she purred as she trotted by my tent and watched me dig a pit for the campfire.

[Hi, Kitsune!] Liana immediately made herself comfortable in one of the Ninetales' pale yellow puffy tails. I couldn't help but giggle--Kitsune I had rescued from a Rocket base as a Vulpix, and was initially jittery and aloof. Liana helped calm her and got her to open up by wrapping herself in her tails at night. When Kitsune asked why, she told her that "good friends stick together, and you are my good friend." Kitsune was touched that someone would call her a friend, and has allowed Liana to bundle up in her tails almost every night.

[How did the show in Pallet go?] Kitsune asked as I ringed my fire pit with rocks.

"Very well--Prof. Oak especially liked 'Why Pikachu Has Brown Stripes on His Back'" I replied before glancing up at the Swellow in the trees. "Phoenix...can I trust you to go get some firewood?"

[You got it!] Phoenix chirped before soaring off into the night. I had hatched him and raised him from an egg I received as a prize from a storytelling contest, and he has grown up to be one of my most reliable Pokemon. He can overestimate his power sometimes, so I have to remind him that it's okay to fall back, and the best offense is a good defense. Despite this, his never say die attitude has rubbed off on the others, and they look up to him when things don't go right.

[Remember that Prof. Oak and Brock are two completely different audiences...] Undine, my Dewgong, cautioned as she brought some lifeless Magikarps to the shore, her white skin almost shining in the moonlight. She was the tactician for the team, having swam around the world and seen many Pokemon as a Seel. But when a Tentacool decided to pester Liana during a trip to the Seafoam Islands, she stepped in and fought the Tentacool herself with her own two fins. I was grateful for her rescuing Liana and offered her a place on the team, which she accepted.

The final team member I owned, a Lucario named Ayra, was the only member I actually had to battle--at her request. I pitted Kitsune against her, and try as she might to take her down with Aura Sphere, Force Palm and the odd Bone Rush, Kitsune pulled through, earning Ayra's respect and an offer to join my team. She was the spiritual member of the team, and not surprisingly, she was meditating by a tree. [Do not worry about Brock's status as a Loremaster...while it is true he knows many stories you do not, just remember that a flashy performance isn't always the best.]

[And Brock's style is very energetic.] Undine added. [You don't have to mimic him exactly--take the story and make it your own.]

[Speaking of which, have you thought about which tale you want to tell Brock?] Kitsune asked as Phoenix returned with a bundle of twigs and some Berries.

[Tell him one about a hero that slays a Salamence!] Phoenix suggested as I arranged the sticks into a nice pattern.

"That's the hard part--finding a story he DOESN'T know." I replied before instructing Kitsune "Light the fire, please." Kitsune nodded, and sent a small fireball flying at the twigs, starting a beautiful blaze.

After a relaxing dinner of roast Magikarp and Berries, Liana found my portable DVD player and a DVD titled "The Best of 'Tales from the Fireside', Vol 1". [Maybe if you studied Brock, you would know what to expect tomorrow.]

"Good idea, Liana." I agreed as I set the tiny laptop-like device where the Pokemon could see and inserted the DVD. Once I had zipped through the previews and menu screen appeared, I headed into the scene selection to try and find which one of the stories they would like most. 'The Crystal Ring' was out--I'd told that one many times. So was "The Ungrateful Raikou"--only my version involved a dragon instead of a Raikou. But then another tale got my attention--"Poetic Justice"? What was that one about?

I selected that story and watched as onscreen, Brock and a navy haired girl prepared for a guitar and banjo jam session. But no sooner had the tune began did Phoenix interject [Come on, Kenna, you know this one! That's "Little Violet Girl"! Play along with it!]

"But Phoenix...I'm not very good at it yet..." I protested as I fished Ashi out of my pocket. "I haven't practiced it in a while..."

[Come on, please?] he begged. [I want to hear how you're doing with it!]

I sighed--I was in no mood to argue with Phoenix at this time of night, and besides, I needed the practice on that tune. I reset the DVD to the beginning of the scene, quickly brushed my teeth (as is my custom if I'm playing Ashi right after a meal or drink), found the A note I needed to start on, and played a light shuffle rhythm to count myself off as Liana pressed PLAY, allowing me to join in with the guitar and banjo on time. Where there still a few places I needed help on, and I forgot part of the melody halfway through, it wasn't too shabby a performance, if my team's applause was any indication.

[Bravo!] Phoenix called.

[Not bad!] Ayra agreed.

[If the bass line hadn't threw you off, you would've gotten it!] Undine added.

[To be fair, the guitar was probably miced too loud, not allowing Kenna to hear the banjo playing the melody] Delphi mused as I tapped my instrument out and put it away for the night.

Liana, meanwhile, was focused on the screen, which had faded to just Brock on the stage, playing a calm melody on an almost gold colored acoustic guitar. "There was once a king who had a love of words...he was a wise king, and had a near photographic memory--if he heard a poem, a story, or a song he enjoyed, he would memorize it."

[Sounds like Delphi...] Kitsune commented.

[I didn't know human's memories could be as good as us psychic Pokemon.] Delphi was impressed.

"Now, the king wished to open a grand library for his kingdom, but he was a little greedy, and devised a way to cut costs." Brock continued.

[Oh boy...] Phoenix sighed--cost cutting measures in stories usually cut more corners than costs.

"It turned out that the king had a servant with a photographic memory, but the servant in question had to hear something more than once to memorize it." Brock continued before setting his guitar aside and getting up from his chair. "With this thought in mind, he sent out a proclamation inviting all the writers to share their work--with the best original work receiving enough gold to equal the weight of the material the work was written on."

[That wouldn't be much gold...] Ayra mused.

"So poets, storytellers, and songwriters flocked to the palace, eager to perform their masterpieces for the king." Brock mused as he paced the stage. "The first author arrived and said he was going to read a poem. "When asked if it was original, the poet swore it was. The king warned him that if anyone in the court knew the poem he was about to recite, then he would know the poet was lying. The poet nodded and recited an eloquent opus about a great hero that had slain a Salamence."

[There's your hero and Salamence...] Delphi called up to Phoenix.

"When the poet had finished, the king recited the same poem word for word. Stunned that someone knew his work, the poet pleaded that his work was his own. The king then called in his servant--who having heard the original performance and his lord reciting the poem, was able to repeat it word for word." Awed gasps wafted through the audience at Brock's description. "This went on for hours--someone would come in and perform their work, and every time, the king and his servant would recite back the same poem, tell the same story, or sing the same song, sending away many fine authors in shame."

[That's not fair!] Undine was appalled at what the king was doing.

"Now a lord who was a good friend of the king--we'll call him Cato--thought the king's contest unfair, and decided to find a way to expose the flaw in the king's plan." Brock continued as he walked to a table where a piece of paper and a pencil lay. "So he hauled out all his books, and composed a poem that was about ten thousand lines long and filled with the hardest and most obscure words he could find." he narrated as he wrote gibberish on the paper to illustrate this.

[That must've been one long poem!] Liana gasped.

[Wonder what it was about?] Phoenix mused.

"He then had this epic opus carved into marble." Brock added, with the audience laughing as he mimiced carving something in stone. "After disguising himself as a commoner..." He paused to throw on a deep blue cloak. "He loaded the marble slabs aboard several Ponytas and set off for the palace. Once there, he told the king that he too wished to read something." After grabbing his piece of paper from earlier and facing an imagined throne, he went on "Cato began reading his masterpiece, and even the king was confused at the words--it dawned on him that he would not be able to remember such compliacated words." Liana giggled as Brock read some of his gibberish. "Wee ki ra araus tes soare an giue mea iem. Was au ga whai pauwel ferda enter whou na needle sor, en whai pauwel gaunji yasra whou na senjue sor tou zuieg."

[Whatever any of that means...] Delphi sighed.

"Cato kept reading, and finished until the sun was about to set." Brock continued, tossing his paper of gibberish aside. "The king asked to weigh his opus, and Cato apologized--as he was out of paper, he had carved his masterpiece in marble. "As the king weighed each slab, it became clearer and clearer that he would have to pay Cato quite a lot of gold. Cato then revealed himself to the king..." Applause went up as Brock threw off the cloak, revealing himself in his normal clothes. "and explained that he had planned all his work to show the king how unfair he was being by tricking them with his photographic memory. He went on to say the authors should be rightfully compensated, so they would write more work in return." The king reluctantly admitted that Cato was right, and paid all the authors he had sent away and any others that came to the palace with work. Some were paid in gold, some only wanted a few words of inspiration, and on occassion, he gave an author a bit of both--for he didn't want to be seen as unfair!"

[Wow!] Kitsune was impressed as the audience applauded Brock.

[No wonder you can't wait to face him!] Phoenix agreed as I shut the DVD off.

"Then let's get to bed, then." I told my team as I tidied the camp. "We have a big day tomorrow!"

To Be Continued...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 2: The Song of the Forest

nice chapter. so when the pokemon talk, keena can here them telepathicaly. is that what you are doing?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 2: The Song of the Forest

I'm essentially translating the "Pika pika" gibberish by putting what it means in brackets

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 3: The Song of an Idol)

@Wes118, @Gastly's Mama, @AetherX, @Johnny Gaddar

Episode 3: The Song of an Idol

We broke camp and left Viridian Forest early the next morning. While everyone else was calm and relaxed, it was Liana that was the most excited to see Brock perform. [We're gonna see the best storyteller and entertainer in the world today!] she announced to anyone and everyone that would listen as she romped down the road.

"I don't know about THE best, but he's up there." I told Liana as we strolled into town. "Also remember that he is possibly teaching us a story I don't know in return for us performing for him. That, and it may not always be a straight story performance like you saw last night."

This calmed Liana down. [Hm...I haven't thought of it that way before...]

"We all know how to behave in a theater, right?" I reminded my team as we passed through the small garden in the town square.

[Use the potty before the show...] Liana began.

[Don't talk during the show...] Delphi added.

[It's A-OK to laugh at the funny parts.] Phoenix assured me before he dove down into the wildflowers dotting the garden in the square and picked a red one for Liana.

[And of course, clap when the show is over.] Kitsune concluded as she looked out at the majestic marble columns of the Pewter muesum that loomed over the square's north end.

"Very good." I replied before recalling Kitsune and Phoenix to their Poke Balls and starting off to a familiar brown roofed building on the west end of the square, where a line of people wound through the Cheri and Oran trees that lined the pavement. It moved very quickly, and before long, we were shown to a large open room filled with seats and a beautiful wide stage carved into the rocks at the back of the room.

The lights flashed the five minute warning as we found our seats before a female voice announced "And now, please welcome your host, Brock Harrison."

We applauded as Brock ran to greet the crowd, the spotlights giving the green shirt and orange vest he wore a bright sheen. "Thank you!" he smiled. "Before we officially get started, let me first remind you of the house rules..."

[Oh boy...] Delphi giggled--even Brock's courtesy spiel was hilarious.

"First, if you need to leave the auditorium for any reason--be this an unexpected potty break, a trip to the smoking area, or an unruly child or Pokemon, notify an usher and they will direct you to the nearest EXIT sign." Brock explained before spotlights came on in all the places an usher was stationed, to some applause.

[The cell phone rule is my favorite.] Liana whispered before I motioned for her to quiet down.

"Second, if you've got a cell phone, Match Call, Poketch, C-Gear, or similar device, please turn them off, or at the very least, set them to vibrate." Brock continued. "Not only is it annoying to the audience if it rings, those of us onstage can't concentrate if we keep hearing..." I burst out laughing as he did a pitch perfect mimic of a Match Call's trill-like ring. "Or..." Next, he mimiced the warbling beeps of a Pokegear's phone ringing. "Or..." He then mimiced the Poketch's distinctive "beedle-beedle" ring. "Or..." The crowd then burst out laughing as he scatted the first few notes of the Mario theme, as it would probably be performed on a cell phone.

[Wow!] Delphi was impressed at Brock's spot on imitations of each device before her ruby glinted, allowing Kitsune, Phoenix, Ayra, and Undine to listen to the show inside their Poke Balls.

Brock waited a moment as he heard power down melodies and "bloops" of devices being turned off or set to vibrate. I also discretely set my own Pokegear to vibrate. "Now then..." he mused as he made his way over to center stage, where a chair and a black acoustic guitar were waiting. "Allow me to introduce my cotarie here..." he smiled as he tuned the beautiful instrument. Now normally, tuning a guitar onstage was considered bad form, but Brock was an exception--it was a part of the act.

Liana watched as Brock named his six attendants one by one. "Alana..." Cheers went up as a red haired girl in a gray hoodie and jeans appeared onstage by the chair. "Tristan..." A boy with sandy blonde hair in a deep blue T shirt and sweatpants charged onstage and waved to the crowd. "Petra..." Loud cheers went up as a girl with deep brown hair in a green shirt and white jeans ran onstage.

[Petra must be the best singer or something...] Delphi mused as she spotted a mic hiding in Petra's hair.

"Chris..." A black haired boy in a white shirt and jeans appeared on stage. "Morgan..." A teal haired girl in a purple shirt and black pants ran onstage. "and Lisa." A girl whose navy hair was neatly braided joined the others onstage as Brock checked his tuning one last time. "Okay! Let's get the show started with a little groove here..." With that, he played a jig I recognized as "Flight of the Swellow", which he used to segue into a medley of 80's songs.

Chris led off with a grooving rendition of "Point of No Return", then Brock led the way on an acoustic rock cover of "Footloose". Then, Petra sang "How Will I Know", which got everyone excited from the first two lines alone. Morgan followed up with "You're a Friend of Mine". Liana and Delphi were dancing in their seats as Lisa segued into "Conga." Tristan finished with an upbeat cover of "I Do (Do I Love You?), with the girls singing backup and Brock and Lisa having a guitar and saxophone duel mid-song.

[Bravo!] Delphi led the applause when the seven of them posed together at the end.

[Encore!] Liana agreed as the lights went down.

They came up again on the set of a forest, while Petra and Morgan, as fairies, dance onstage from opposite directions--Petra in red, and Morgan in blue. "How are you, Indigo?" Petra asked.

"Wonderful, Scarlet--I feel so happy, my feet can't keep still." Morgan replied in mid jump.

"Come, let's dance!" With that, the two of them pranced about the stage to an Irish jig.

[Interesting dance...] Delphi mused as she listened to the clacking and clicking of Petra's and Morgan's shoes. I just smiled and applauded when the dance ended.

"I really must be going now..." Petra then started ofstage.

"Going where?" Morgan asked.

"To make someone happy--it is a fairy's job to make someone happy." Petra explained.

"Maybe I can help, and we'll make two people happy!" Morgan suggested.

"Okay!" Petra replies before hearing foosteps from stage right. "Someone's coming!"

"It's the evil Lord Raven!" Morgan gasped. "We have to hide!" I giggled as both girls dashed behind some bushes. Then Tristan, now clad in a black suit with a cape to match, walked onstage.

"The witch Kiara said she's meet me here in this enchanted glen, where we would not be seen by eyes of the light..." Tristan mused over some forboding music. "But she is not here..."

"You mean me?" Alana asked before emerging in a typical witch's outfit, doing a perfect cackle all the while. "I will always be here somewhere..."

"Kiara the Dark Flame...I command you to help me get what it is I seek." Tristan commanded.

"Well, what is it you seek, Raven of the Black Wings?" Alana asked.

"I seek the princess Meira." Tristan replied.

[You could just marry her, for Arceus' sake.] Liana grumbled.

Alana gritted her teeth, as if sharing Liana's frustration. "You could do what a sensible person does and marry her, you know..."

"She desires none of me!" Tristan snapped. "She only has eyes for the prince Dillon, who she will wed by the next moon."

"Then why come to me?" Alana sighs. "I have no interest in the prince nor the princess."

"Perhaps this will be enough?" Tristan offered Alana a bag of gold. "All of it will be yours if you can make Meira mine."

"Deal." Alana replied as she took the prop bag of gold. "I will charm her so she loses interest in the prince..."

"That will be perfect!" Tristan smiles.

"She comes now, picking Berries..." Alana muses as Lisa, in a loose white tunic with a sparkling blue skirt and a matching cloak, walked onstage and pretended to pick plants. Alana snuck behind her and made a few mystical signs in the air while chanting <i>Fula has tewa juza!</i> A bright flash of blue light appeared from her hands, making Lisa pretend to faint.

[Oh no!] Liana gasped. [What did the witch do to the princess?]

Delphi watched as Lisa picked up some stitching and began to sew, making her burst out laughing. [She charmed her into sewing all day!]

[That's the silliest curse I've ever seen!] Liana giggled.

I watched as Alana returned to Tristan. "It is done...the princess will do nothing but sew morning, noon, and night."

"But how to undo the charm once we have wed?" Tristan asks.

"I will tell you at the proper time." Alana assures Tristan. With that, the two depart, prompting Morgan and Petra to come out from the bushes.

"Did you see that?" Petra tells Morgan. "The evil witch Kiara has charmed Princess Meira!"

"We have to ask Taji if she can undo the charm and make the Prince happy." Morgan suggests before hearing a familiar voice scatting "The Hearthome Pilgrim" from offstage.

"Speak of Arceus, the prince comes now!" Petra gasps as Brock, now clad in a blue tunic with gold trim and a red cape to match, half walked and half skipped onstage, singing the song all the while.

"Good day, Sir Dillon!" Morgan called, snapping Brock from his song.

"And to you likewise, Lady Indigo of Water." Brock replied, giving Margan a little bow.

"Where are you bound on this fine day?" Petra asked.

"I am on my way to see the finest princess any prince could ask for, Lady Scarlet of Fire." Brock replied. "As such, I must be on my way." With that, he continued singing as he walked off.

"And he will find her charmed! She will do nothing but sew!" Morgan lamented.

"We must do something!" Petra agreed.

Just then, Chris, in a sparkling green tunic and brown leggings, peeked onstage and whispered Nika vera! to Petra.

"Huh? A forest sprite?" Petra noticed Chris.

Nika vera! Chris repeats.

"What does that mean, little one?" Morgan asks.

Nika vera! Nika vera! Chris repeats before darting offstage.

A excited smile crossed Petra's face. "That has to be the word to break the curse! We have to tell the prince!"

"And there he is now!" Morgan agreed as Brock trudged onstage.

"Woe is me! My beloved is under a spell, and I know not the way to break it!" Brock cried Liana giggled for a moment at Brock's over the top acting before I shot her The Look.

"But we do know the way to break the spell! A forest sprite told us the word was 'nika vera'." Petra explained.

"Then we have not a moment to lose!" With that, Brock, Petra and Morgan dashed offstage.

[This is getting exciting!] Liana mused as Brock and the fairies confronted Tristan and the entranced Lisa. [I hope Dillon has to fight Lord Raven before he can say the word!]

[Your wish is granted...] Delphi smiled as Tristan drew a prop sword. Brock responded by drawing his own prop sword, and an epic fight ensued. I'm sure we would've been thrown out of the theater if it weren't so loud from the other people cheering Brock on.

In the end, Lord Raven was defeated, and Prince Dillon freed Princess Meira from the spell to live happily ever after. Even after the show ended, Liana was still talking non-stop about the play. If Brock was that good an actor, I wasn't sure if my skills were worthy of Brock and his crew. Only time would tell in the morning if my meager performing skills were enough to earn the silver Point of Strength.

To Be Continued...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 4: Song of the Boulder)

@Wes118, @Johnny Gaddar, @Gastly's Mama, @AetherX

Episode 4: The Song of the Boulder

We woke up early the next morning and returned to the Gym for our big performance. Liana was more than happy to see me perform, but deep down, I had Beautiflies in my stomach.

I had grown up watching Brock and his crew perform on TV, and I deeply admired Brock's skill with words--he was my standard when I performed. However, he had years of experience telling tales compared to me. Even so, I took a few deep breaths to calm myself as we went inside the Gym. Calm down, Kenna--just pretend you're just telling to friends and family at home.

It didn't take us long to find Brock--after passing the hallway leading to the arena where he hosted battles with trainers, we came to a small alcove at the end of another hallway, where he, Petra, and Morgan were rehearsing a cover of "And We Danced".

Delphi applauded when the last chord died. [Bravo!]

Petra noticed us applauding and smiled. "It seems we have a Loremaster guest starring with us, Boss." she told Brock, pointing out the center of the Star of Knowledge on my sweater.

"Forgive us if we were interrupting your rehearsal..." I stammered, trying oh-so-hard to hide my nervousness and euphoria at meeting one of my idols. "I'm Kenna Devine, Emerald Loremaster."

"Nice to meet you, Kenna." Brock smiled as he set his own guitar aside. "While I go round up the rest of the gang and some review sheets, follow Petra to the stage door."

Petra led me to the backstage area from a hidden passage in the main hall. "Here we are...take as much time you need to get ready." she assured me before leaving me alone in the room filled with instruments, props, set pieces, and costumes. It didn't take me long to get ready--"Ninetales and Ol' Yan" didn't need much in the way of props, nor did it need music.

[Good luck!] Liana called as I departed for the wings. I smiled back at her and Delphi--I was going to need all the good luck I could get.

I walked out on the stage to find Brock and his attendants seated in several rows at the front. "Okay then..." Brock began as I made myself comfortable on a stool at center stage. "The rules are simple--tell us one of your best tales. There's no time limit, so make us laugh, make us cry, and make us feel for your characters."

"Okay..." I replied.

"We'll be grading you on three criteria--how well you know your material--so every 'uh', 'er', 'um' and the derivatives therein will count against you." Brock cautioned. "Secondly, we'll grade you on your interactivity--at the very least, look up at us, smile, and speak clearly. If you can get us involved in the tale, that's even better." After making sure each attendant had a review sheet, he concluded. "Third, we'll look at your stage presence--how well you bring the tale to life. Score high on all three..." He showed me the familiar silver Point of Strength. "and you'll get one of these. Any questions?"

"Not at all." replied. Okay, Kenna, this is it!

"The stage is yours, Kenna--you may begin when you're ready." Brock replied as he started writing on his sheet.

I took a deep breath to quell the remaining Beautiflies in my stomach, then began. "It is said that Ninetales was a trickster. Every one she met warned her that she should have more respect for other Pokemon and other things, but Ninetales just laughed them all off--she thought she knew everything."

"Ooh..." Lisa giggled as she wrote something on her sheet.

"One day, she was walking along the road looking for something to eat--for she was always hungry." I continued as I climbed off the stool and trudged around the stage, in character as Ninetales. "Suddenly, she saw a huge rock in the road." I paused as I stopped before a silver light on the curtains standing in for a rock. "She knew this rock as Ol' Yan, the oldest and wisest being in the world--and that he deserved the highest respect." There were some giggles as I gave the "rock" a polite bow for emphasis. "Now, when Ninetales saw Ol' Yan, she took a small blade from her bag and offered it to him." I then grabbed a small prop dagger from a pocket and offered it to the "rock". "Lord Yan, I come before you bearing a gift for your wisdom. I would like to know where I can find food." I waited a moment in the prayerful pose before continuing. "When Ol' Yan didn't reply, Ninetales just left her blade and went on her way."

I walked over to stage right as I continued. "As Ninetales continued down the road, she saw a freshly killed Tauros at the side of the road. But before she could help herself, she remembered her blade and hurried back to Ol' Yan's grotto to retrieve it." Laughter went up as I dashed back to stage left and picked up the prop dagger again. "A rock doesn't need a blade..." I haughtily mused in character as Ninetales, making Brock smile as he wrote something on his sheet.

"She had barely walked a few feet when she heard a low rumble in the distance, and saw Ol' Yan headed straight for her!" Everyone laughed as I turned around and feigned panic at the "rock" rolling in my direction.

I ran a few laps around the stage trying to elude the "rock" before stopping at the stool for a moment. "Ninetales first came to Persian's den and pleaded for help, but Persian said..." I then assumed a breathy version of my voice for Persian "If you have angered Ol' Yan, there's nothing I can do."

I ran another lap around the stage before returning to the stool again. "Then, Ninetales saw a herd of Tauros, and begged them to help her. The Tauros tried to block the road..." Petra's laughter was the loudest as I set a box in the path of the "rock" to represent the Tauros herd. "But Ol' Yan weaved around the Tauros and kept chasing Ninetales." I thought I heard Brock guffawing as I kicked aside the box, allowing the "rock" to "chase" me again.

After running a third lap, I returned to the stool again. "Then Ninetales saw a flock of Pidgeots and told them that Ol' Yan had said all kinds of terrible things about them. The Pidgeots were angered and began unleashing all kinds of attacks, shrinking Ol' Yan down to mere pebbles." Some sound effects of Pidgeots screeching and wind gusts played as the "rock" grew smaller and disappeared off the curtains.

When the noise died down, I went on. "Ninetales burst out laughing, half relieved, and half elated she had played a major trick on the Pidgeots. It then dawned on the Pidgeots just what Ninetales had done, so they formed a circle in the sky and began unleashing their strongest Gusts, reforming Ol' Yan and forcing Ninetales to keep running." My "audience" roared with laughter as the wind sounds played again. The "rock" reformed on the curtain again and "chased" me offstage.

I returned to the stage as the laughter died down. "No one knows when Ninetales finally lost Ol'Yan, but at least the Pidgeots knew not to listen to her!" Tristan led the applause as I took a bow.

"That was hilarious!" Petra raved.

"I loved how you portrayed Ninetales." Chris agreed.

"Ol' Yan reforming was my favorite part." Lisa added as she wiped a tear of laughter from her eyes.

"Anything you want to say, Boss?" Morgan asked Brock.

Brock got up from his seat, joined me onstage and gave me the pile of review sheets. "Well told, Loremaster--I would have to agree that characterization is your strong suit. You took each character and gave them their own mannerisms and personality--a must if you want to bring them to life. However, I noticed that every time you stopped at the stool during the chase scenes, you weren't looking at us very much. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but in the future, try to maintain eye contact with your audience, even if you've just run fifty laps around the stage."

"Okay..." I smiled.

Alana joined Brock on the stage with the Point of Strength on a red pillow. "Overall, I think your performance was worthy of the Star Point."

"Loremaster Kenna Devine...take this point as thanks for your performance." Brock began as he took the point in his hand. "May it remind you of the physical, mental and spiritual strength you give to your audience through your words and songs." With that, he pinned the Point to my sweater as the attendants cheered...

To Be Continued...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 5: Song of the Ancient)

@Johnny Gaddar, @Gastly's Mama, @Wes118, @AetherX

Episode 5: The Song of the Ancient Past

We left the Pokemon Center in high spirits--with one Star Point under my belt, I felt like I could charm anyone with my skill in story--even Brock!

Liana brought me back to reality some time later. [Can we go see the museum?]

[Yes, it would be fascinating to see the various artifacts on display.] Ayra agreed.

I approached the signboard nearby the stairway leading up to the museum's entrance and grabbed my wallet as I surveyed the list of prices. A day's admission was 500 credits--it only got pricey if you booked one of the special tours and experiences or wanted an annual pass. While the planeterium, various classes, and concerts sounded fun, I didn't have THAT much to spend. Even so, a day wandering around admiring the museum's collection wouldn't hurt.

The museum wasn't terribly busy--we paid the 500 credits for admission and soon found ourselves in the main foyer. In addition to me, Liana, and Ayra, there were a few families in the nature wing and art wing, plus a few customers in the gift shop. The most logical course of action was to start on the leftmost wing, so I motioned for Liana and Ayra to follow me into the hallway leading to the nature wing.

[Wow!] Liana gasped as we arrived in the museum's indoor botanical garden.

[Such an impressive array of plants!] Ayra smiled as she admired some ferns and exotic flowers.

[I wish Celadon was warm enough to grow some of these!] Liana agreed as she sniffed a passion flower. She would have batted at the heliconias if Ayra had not gently reminded her to look and not touch.

As we rounded a corner to the aquatic plants, a pop of a Poke Ball got my attention.
    [Wow...what is this place?] Delphi asked as she sniffed an exotic orchid.

[We're at the Pewter City Museum--one of Kanto's largest museums.] Ayra explained as we made our way to the next room of the nature wing, which housed stuffed models of Pokemon and dioramas of various Pokemon habitats.

"Oh!" I gasped at a majestic model of the ice bird Articuno flying. Excited at what the Pokedex had to say about the beautiful blue-white bird, I grabbed my Pokedex from my bag and pointed it at the familiar black and white CyberPokeBall icon on the model's inscription.

Articuno, the freeze Pokemon. the Pokedex began. A legendary bird Pokemon with long and distinctive tail feathers. It is said to appear if you are freezing on a snowy mountain.

[Cool!] Delphi gasped, starry eyed.

I pocketed the Pokedex and read a little of the inscription detailing Articuno's physical profile and her role in helping Master Ash summon Lugia on Shamouti Island years ago. It sounded like an incredible story, and I had always wanted to tell the whole epic adventure all at once rather than specific episodes here and there. But it was a very long story, and it would probably take me four days to tell it all--maybe longer if I took breaks.

Liana dashed over to a model of Lugia spreading his wings nearby. [Wow...so this is Lugia...]

[Often depicted in lore as the guardian or incarnation of the moon, depending on which region you're in.] Ayra explained. [Remember "Lugia's Capture"]

[Yeah!] Liana replied. [No matter how many times Kenna tells that story, I always get scared when the ghosts hide Lugia under a rock.]

[Here's a model of Ash riding him!] Delphi called, pointing out a diorama of Lugia flying over an ocean and some mountains with Ash atop his back, a jubilant smile on his face. Whoever had made the diorama had clearly paid attention to detail--I could see the ripples in the "water", feather details on the Lugia figure, the folds in the Ash figure's clothing, and even the L-shaped insignia of the Kanto League on the figure's cap.

Ayra approached the model and bowed respectfully before the glass, as she always did in front of any depiction of Master Ash. It was as if she was expecting the diorama to come alive at any moment--to hear the whoosh as Lugia soared over us and Ash's triumphant victory cry echo through the sky. She then read the diorama's inscription--the prophecy of Lugia. [Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice and lightning, lest these titans wreak destruction upon the world in which they clash. Though the water's great guardian shall arise to quell the fighting, alone its song will fail, thus the earth will turn to Ash.]

[Why do you always do that every time you see a picture or model of Ash?] Delphi asked, annoyed.

[He is our Pokemon Master, and as such, deserves respect.] Ayra replied.

Delphi seemed satisfied with that answer, until a model of a Clefairy got her attention. [Hey, Kenna! Look at this!]

"What?" I dashed over and looked at the inscription on the model. "I've known for a long time that there is a giant Moon Stone in Mt. Moon--or rather, a huge shard of one after it was shattered by Team Rocket years ago--but the legend that Clefairies are its guardians? That's a new one..."

[Maybe we can go to the mountain and see the Clefairies up close.] Delphi suggested. [The inscription also says that they only appear to those of pure heart.]

[Can we go see one?] Liana begged.

"Well..." I thought for a moment. "We have to go through Mt. Moon anyway to get to Cerulean City, so I don't see why we can't go see the Clefairies."

[YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY!!!!] Liana cheered.

All in all, we had a fantastic day exploring the museum, but little did I know, the Clefairies of Mt. Moon were in danger from an old foe...

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 19th October 2011 at 03:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forty Songs, Five Regions: A Loremaster's Tale (Episode 6: A Song of Warning)

@Wes118, @Johnny Gaddar, @AetherX, @Gastly's Mama

Episode 6: A Song of Warning

Meanwhile, in a hidden base somewhere in Kanto...

"Aisha Moreno, report." a male voice commanded.

The automatic doors leading into the majestic office whirred open, and a girl clad in a neat black uniform with a red R prominently displayed on the right side of the torso entered the room and addressed the shadowy figure. "Our mission to find the Clefairies in Mt. Moon is going well--we have already recovered several shards and some Clefairy DNA, so we're on the right track to find the large shard and the Clefairies."

"Excellent..." the shadowed executive grinned as he petted a Persian lying by his desk. "Your efforts are applauded, but be aware that we must not let anyone know that Team Rocket has secretly returned for a third time."

"Believe me, I've heard the rumors..." Aisha assured her boss as she toyed with the small ponytail that peeked from her black beret. "Some say you're over in Unova helping our two best agents chase down Master Ash..." She hit a button on her Poketch, beaming an image of a lavender haired boy and a maroon haired girl in similar attire to her spying on a campsite into the room for a few seconds. "Some say you've come clean and dedicating yourself to studying Pokemon. Still others say you kicked the bucket after that Johto boy disrupted our takeover of WJTO's main tower."

"They think I have died?" The shadowy male stifled some laughter. "As you can plainly see, Aisha, I am very much alive--how do these rumors of my demise say I died?"

"Most of them say you jumped off the highest point on Tohjo Falls and drowned, but I've heard several variations on where you jumped, and a few...colorful versions on how you bit the dust." Aisha replied. "Little do they know that the reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated."

"And our existence must continue to remain secret for now." the shadowed figure replied. "Continue your search for the Clefairies--when the time is right, I will finally have my revenge."

"Yes sir." With that, Aisha departed.

Back in the Pewter City Pokemon Center...

[Delphi?] Kitsune asked, interested in why the Espeon was still awake at the late hour. The ruby on her head casted a haunting red glow in the darkened room where Kenna and the other Pokemon slept peacefully. [What are you doing up?]

[I sense an evil presence on Mt. Moon...] Delphi replied.

[What kind of evil presence?] Ayra gasped as she jumped up from her bed and assumed a fighting pose, eager to attack the supposed intruder.

[Oh no, Ayra, there's nothing evil in here...but that still doesn't explain why I sense something evil on the mountain.] Delphi mused.

[Do you think Team Rocket could be back?] Kitsune swallowed hard.

[Don't be silly--they broke up for good when Champion Ethan and his friend Lyra saved the main tower of WJTO.] Ayra assured the jittery Ninetales. [On top of that, Master Ash scared them away from the mountain when they tried to make off with some of the valuable fossils in there.]

[What's this about Team Rocket coming back?] Liana yawned.

[Delphi sees a vision about something evil on Mt. Moon, and we're wondering what it means.] Kitsune explained.

[I see the Clefairies and the Moon Stone running from a shroud of evil energy...] Delphi continued. [Just as the Cleffas, Clefairies, and Clefables think they're safe, the evil energy is there at every turn.]

[Oh no! Do you see them being saved at all?] Liana yelped. She shuddered at the thought of the Moon Stone--and the Cleffas, Clefairies, and Clefables--gone forever.

[Fortunately, I do see something else....] Delphi concentrated for a moment, making the ruby project her vision to where all her awake teammates could see it. [Just when the shroud is about to engulf all the Cleffas, Clefairies, and Clefables, a red light pierces the darkness, dispelling it.]

[Ooh, how exciting! Kenna, a hero!] Kitsune giggled.

[But how do we know that light in the vision IS Kenna?] Ayra mused. [Delphi could have seen the evil energy dispelled by a rainbow Buneary with purple polka dots, for all we know!] Liana burst out laughing at the mental image, but Ayra just sighed--she hadn't counted on her metaphor to be taken humorously.

[Come on, you guys...let's go back to sleep--we can find out Delphi's vision means in the morning.] Kitsune mused as she curled up back on her bed.

[Okay.] Liana romped back to her bed, and before long, Delphi was asleep too, blissfully unaware that her vision would prove key to their next adventure...

To Be Continued...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast