The Fiery Beginnings

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fiery Beginnings

Default The Fiery Beginnings

This Fan Fiction is based around both Anime & Game mechanics, so I will be using writer’s prerogative when it is needed to keep the story interesting. I would like to point out my grammar will never be perfect, but I am running this through word, so it is as good as possible. As such if I’ve made some silly mistakes do tell me, but please don’t write a page about how bad it is. With that constructive criticism will be very well received as will any ideas or pieces of graphics to go with it. I hope people have as much reading my fan fiction as I hope I will have writing it.

Chapter-
    Chapter 1- Arrival in Pallet town, battle vs. Ozil
    Chapter 2- 4 Rounds, & semi-final battle vs. a Psychic
    Chapter 3- Final match vs. Jeanette
    Chapter 4- Prize ceremony & Discussion with Oak
    Chapter 5- Journey along Route 1, Entering Viridian and Battle vs Ozil
    Chapter 6- Continuation of battle with Ozil
    Chapter 7- Continuation of battle with Ozil
    Chapter 8- Finish of battle vs. Ozil
    Chapter 9- Entry into Viridian Forest
    Chapter 10- Escape from Viridian Forest
    Chapter 11- Gym Battle vs. Forest
    Chapter 12- End of Gym Battle vs. Forest
    Chapter 13- The Search

Current Standing
    Battle Record- 9-0
    Pokemon-
    1. Houndour/Arson ♂- Howl, Ember, Bite & Fire Fang
    2. Chimchar/Dante (Blaze ability)- Ember, Scratch, Taunt & Fury Swipes
    Badges- 1 (Boulder Badge)

Rival stats

Special Thanks

Prologue-
    This Fan Fiction is based around both Anime & Game mechanics, so I will be using writer’s prerogative when it is needed to keep the story interesting. I would like to point out my grammar will never be perfect, but I am running this through word, so it is as good as possible. As such if I’ve made some silly mistakes do tell me, but please don’t write a page about how bad it is. With that constructive criticism will be very well received as will any ideas or pieces of graphics to go with it. I hope people have as much reading my fan fiction as I hope I will have writing it.

Prologue-
    It was a torrential downpour out on any normal street, in any town in the entire world, when all of a sudden a massive flash of light was seen to light up the night sky. Easily confused with a lightning bolt, it was actually ThunderShock launched by a vicious looking Luxio.

“Again Luxio” could be heard being shouted from the shadows.

The Pokémon of course obeyed his owners command without any hesitation, & repeated the ThunderShock, if not exactly the same, then with more power, as the ThunderShock hit, the person on the ground winced in pain, leading to the laughter of a large group of people hidden within the shadows. The person being hit by the ThunderShock is no more than 13 or 14 years old, dressed entirely in black, with short black hair. The people from within the shadows stepped out, they are a group of youth not all that much older probably only 16 or 17, all of them are dressed in black & yellow clothing, in a lightning bolt shape on their t-shirts, they have varying hair colours, but all of them are spiked. The leader is obviously apparent as he stepped out in the head of the group; he himself is wearing the same clothing, except with a body warmer again showing the lightning bolt, he is also a lot bigger than any of the other guys there.

“So you thought you had what it took to join the ‘Thunders’” The voice was exactly the same as the one that had earlier commanded the Luxio to repeat the ThunderShock. “Not only are you incapable of taking a single ThunderShock, you don’t even have a single Pokémon to defend yourself”

The entire group laughed with their leader; as the boy on the floor attempted to stand himself up. The leader of the group stops laughing once he has managed to get up to one knee. The leader approached the boy, grabbed him by the collar of his t-shirt, & lifted him off the ground.

“You really don’t understand; we are the toughest group on Cinnabar Island. There is nothing that can stop us, we could run this place if we wanted to” He made his statement as he threw the boy to the ground, he began to take a couple steps away. “Give him something to remember us by Luxio... Disfigure him with bite!”

Again the Pokémon doesn’t think twice about obeying his master, & began to run towards, the downed boy; his mouth is already opened, showing both his fangs as sharp as razors & ready to cause some serious damage. The boy had enough energy left in him to pull his arms up to his face. When all of a sudden a man’s voice could be heard yelling from across the street coming out of the alley, “Halt Luxio with Flamethrower!”

Sure enough a Flamethrower shot across the street straight between Luxio & the downed boy. Sadly the command came too late, as the gap between Luxio & the lad was smaller than the width of the Flamethrower, & while Luxio was able to react, the boy was not. The Flames went straight across his forearms burning him, with it he let out a massive scream of anguish. He fell to the floor, appearing to collapse from the shock of the burn.

Out of the shadows appeared the flame-bodied Pokémon Magmar, whose body was producing so much steam as the torrential downpour continued & hit his body. Closely followed behind was an elder gentleman, whose only recognisable feature was a white moustache, wearing what appeared to be a lab coat, darkened sunglasses, he was holding a walking stick, but didn’t appear to need to use it to rest on.

One of the group behind the leader could be heard to shout “Let’s get out of here, it’s Blaine”.

The leader of the group at first stood tall as all of his followers scurried away, however all it took was for Blaine to raise the hand which did not hold the walking stick, as he did so a smile could be seen coming across the old man’s face, & without a word from Blaine; the vast body of the other lad went as white as snow, & he himself followed suit of his gang, even forgetting to return his Luxio who followed him out of the sheer fear of what Blaine’s Magmar could of done to it.

Blaine slowly approached the boy, & knelt down by his side. Grabbing onto the boy’s wrist he soon noticed the very obvious burn surrounding the boys forearms. The smile which had come across the face, had now been drained, & instead been replaced by a look of concern & guilt. Looking towards his Magmar he uttered the words “Let’s get him home”.

At the very least the night has passed, as the day light penetrated in through the blind. The lad from the previous night is found lying up in bed, with bandages around his arms. He slowly began to wake up as the light hit his face. He looked up at the ceiling with a half asleep look on his face, but got a huge shock & woke up quickly when he suddenly hears a feminine voice speak to him “So Rob, Your finally awake”.

Looking around the room, he sees the unforgettable Officer Jenny looking over at him. “Well you certainly got yourself into even more trouble, you had us all terribly worried” She said this with a voice of huge concern, but not the concern of somebody in the line of duty, she continued “You were so lucky that Blaine was able to find you when he did”.

At this point Rob noticed that he & Officer Jenny are not the only ones in the room. Stood in the corner, is Blaine, that day he was wearing a white waist coat, with a red undershirt & white trousers; in his hands was the same walking stick as before, but also a white hat with red trim. He stepped forward, still with a good distance between him & Rob. “I’m only sorry I couldn’t get there sooner”.

He looked down at Rob’s arm, as his face once again showed the same look of guilt & concern. Up until that point Rob hadn’t even noticed that his arms were indeed bandaged up. Blaine continues “Officer Jenny tells me that you have turned down the offer for early admission for Police training, I was hoping that you might accept my offer”.

Rob again looked down at his hands, somewhat of an angry look came across his face, but before he could respond with what would have surely been a destructive remark, he was interrupted by Blaine. “You see the Pokémon League is certain that I can’t carry on much longer, no matter how much I protest, they insist I take on an apprentice. I want you to be that apprentice”.

Blaine’s proposal almost completely knocked the look of anger off Rob’s face. “Why me?” He responds with absolute shock, “Surely there must be other more qualified candidates; I’ve never even owned a Pokémon of my own”.

“There are always more qualified candidates” Blaine said with a strange says of pride “Do you honestly believe that I’m the best gym leader, or even the best fire-type trainer. Of course not, but that’s not the point. The point is you have the spirit & mind of a top trainer. Plus it’s the least I can do...” Blaine once again looked down at Rob’s hands.

Before Rob could respond either way, he is once again interrupted this time by Officer Jenny, who was still talking with concern in her voice “Rob, last night I was wrapping bandages on your arms, next time it could easily be handcuffs”.

It didn’t take much for this to convince Rob, he knew how much he had owed Officer Jenny. Thirteen years ago, on a night not all that much different to the one there was last night. The torrential downpour covered the sounds of people outside. Which was why when that fateful knock on the door was happened; Officer Jenny had no idea who it was. As much as she wished she had when she saw what had been left; on the doorstep to the police station was a basic wicker basket, which of course had a baby inside & a small paper note on the outside. Sadly from an investigative point of view, the note had been all but ruined in the rain, with only ‘Rob’ being readable, & thus that was assumed to be the child’s name. To this day she had always regretted not running out into the night, even just to find out more information about the baby.

With their being no orphanages on Cinnabar Island, Officer Jenny took it upon herself to raise the baby. Throughout his younger years there was no problem; Jenny found it simple to instil strong moral values & justice into the child, something which he kept with him. However a problem did develop throughout his youth was his quick & hot headed temper, which led to him constantly coming to heads with teachers & Jenny herself. Actions which became more & more frequent in his later years led to expulsion from the school, where showed so much promise in terms of battling strategy’s. The incident of expulsion itself came when he used one of the schools prized Pokémon a Hitmonchan to battle the school’s number one trainer & bully. The person in question was very intelligent & pushed the right button to really push Rob over the edge, most notably “Abandonment”. After he had used it to defeat the trainers Tangela, he stood above him, contemplating whether to finish the job, where a teacher believed he had been caught in the act.

Despite the blatant breaking of the school rules & expulsion, Officer Jenny had stood by him, but without direction his teenage years had led him to finding more trouble. The example involving the ‘Thunders’ was just the latest & worse of a long line of attempts to find a way to rebel. However every time he came back, no matter bruised, no matter how cut; Officer Jenny was always there waiting, trying to put him back on the right path.

So when the opportunity came up to repay Blaine & Jenny for what they had done, it was almost a guilt trip into doing the right thing. “Ok then, I’ll be there tomorrow” Rob responds directly to Blaine, after all these thoughts went through his mind.

True to his word Blaine took Rob on as his apprentice. Rob would spend the majority of his time caring for the Pokémon in the gym that were not used often in gym battles, especially ones that would likely be used when Blaine’s current top three decided they no longer wanted to battle. He formed close bonds with all the gyms Pokémon, none more so than Blaine’s Houndoom. However he never gained a strong relationship with the Magmar that burnt his arms, unclear whether it was out of guilt of burning him or just the fact he saw him as competition for Blaine’s attention, but never the less life at the gym went on. Until that is the summer just before Rob’s 18th birthday. It was during this time that Blaine hit a slump.

Blaine went on a 13 match losing streak, with the last 3 being white washes. Tension mounted all around the gym, especially with constant visits from the Pokémon Inspection Agency. It caused both Blaine & Rob to be under a lot of pressure & stress. It was at this point that Rob sacrificed himself, taking the blame for the losses. It was a blatant lie, but the PIA were more than willing to accept it rather than shut down Cinnabar Island’s gym, & risk a backlash from the gym leaders of Kanto for getting rid of Blaine who was just on a bad run.

It was at this time that Blaine told Rob about the ‘Oak invitational’, it was a Pokémon tournament being held in Pallet town by Professor Oak. “You’ve served me well for the last 5 years” He told Rob the day after the latest PIA inspection, “But if you want to be the best gym leader possible, you need to see the world, this tournament would be the best way for you to start your journey”. He hands Rob a flyer showing him that it’s open to any Rookie trainer.

“I can’t thank you enough for what you have done for me... But I hope this is a start.” Blaine proceeds to reach behind him. He hands over a Pokéball with a flame design on the top of it. A smile reaches all over Rob’s face...

Chapter 1 will be up soon, & again all constructive criticism will be well recieved
    Last edited by RobMysterio; 30th January 2011 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Updating

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Fiery Beginnings

First off, writing in the present tense isn't usually a good idea. It just makes things sound awkward. Also, you seem to modulate to past tense occasionally. It's pretty confusing to read, but I understand the story, and it seems like it could be really good. Just work on making it a bit easier to understand.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Thanks
    This will probably one of the few if not only times i will need to use past tense
    So i'll probably run through it a couple more times, & the problem shouldn't ever appear again

Blog Entries

As mentioned, the first-person tense is kind of...well, Rakarei pretty much said it. However, I really like the idea! It's pretty well-written, and I look forward to where this is going!!!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Follow Derier44 On Twitter
    Visit Derier44's Youtube Channel

This has a lot of potential.

First off, the prologue was very good. There were few grammar issues and it flowed alright.

Second, only write in one tense. I prefer the past tense if there is more then one major character and present if it is just a couple of characters through the whole thing.

Third, may I suggest to write in third person omniscient. For your type of story it would seem a whole lot smoother.

So to sum it up, good plot, write in past tense (suggested), write in third person omniscient (suggested).

Winner of: Inazuma Eleven Mafia, FALCONWING 3 MAFIA, War Room Mafia 2,
    The Simpsons Mafia, Bloodshed in Blackthorn, Insane Mafia

Black FC: 4427-8152-0447

Ok, i can't do much about the grammar
    But i have edited it all to be past tense (I believe, may be a few stray words), & will continue to write in the past tense for future parts
    & i'm not certain where i slipped into first person as i intended it all to be third person

Sorry for the double post, but i've got chapter 1... Again constructive criticism welcomed

Chapter 1-

Just as dawn began to set in, along the old dusty road worn out road, came a large blue & white bus, nothing majorly special about it, except that its next stop read Pallet town, home of the legendary Pokémon professor, professor oak. A tall statuesque man slowly stepped off the bus of around 18 years of age with medium lengthed black hair, with a scruffy looking 5 o'clock shadow, however the face was clearly that of Rob. He looked up at the sky with dark bags around his eyes as other people continued piling off the bus all around him. A gust of wind blew against him knocking his red & black sports jacket up slightly, you could see of his Pokéball, still with the flame emblem which Blaine had given him previously hooked onto the waist of his normal blue jeans. He brushed some of the dust off his black t-shirt, which has a massive flame symbol imprinted on it.

All the people would appear to have gotten off the bus, as it began to drive off. The group of trainers then all began to head towards a Pokémon centre. The group are followed behind by Rob, clearly with a lot on his mind. He didn’t seem to be in the half the rush as the others. Though most of them seemed to be around the age of 11 or 12, & as such were easily excitable. They all burst into the building, & head straight up to the counter, where nurse joy & her Chansey are waiting.

Rob was of course left thinking “Why in the world am I doing this now? I’m 7 years behind everyone else here.” He continued to doubt himself as the motionless face, turned to one of just sheer determination as he began to grit his teeth “No I’ve been training with one of the greatest minds in the whole of Kanto, & I have what it takes to be even better. I have 5 years experience at one of the toughest gyms in the world, how can it be questioned?” All of a sudden his trail of thought was interrupted by a small feminine voice, which all Pokémon trainers recognise.

"Welcome everyone" Nurse joy said, with a happy but slightly startled look on her face, "For everyone invited & accepted to Professors Oak's tournament please sign up at the table right by the entrance"

Once again the group of impetuous youth turned around only to see, Rob had already started to head towards the table. None of them dared move as he was obviously much their senior & were probably even more shocked by the fact he was a rookie. Rob picked up a pen & quickly filled out the ‘first name’ as "Rob", however upon reading the second box ‘surname’ "He is seen to quite roughly cross out the box". He then quickly filled out the rest of the form, & threw the pen down onto the table. He had then began to head out, it wasn’t long after he had turned around that the group had surrounded the table, fighting over 2 or 3 pens despite the fact there was more than enough for everyone.

After he left the Pokémon centre he began to continue heading up the dirt road, of course heading up to professor oaks lab. If there was one place that all Kanto trainers recognised, other than the Indigo Plateau, it was of course Professor Oaks lab. Easily the largest building in Pallet town, it was also, perched on top of a hill with a wind turbine. Iconic in its own way.

It was on this walk that Rob began to question what he was doing again with so many thoughts racing through his head “What if I did lose? Does it mean Blaine wasted his time on me? What if I fail as a trainer? What if I really just can’t compete on my own level?” Rob had of course had several practice battles, but never with a Pokémon he had raised himself, often Blaine would use him as a training partner if the seas to Cinnabar had gotten rough, & the ferries were cancelled. However even then he would be battling with Blaine’s Pokémon raised & trained in the correct way.

As he continued on the dirt path, having several of the kids from earlier passing him, he began to think of how Blaine used to train his Pokémon to be the best they could be. Images began to race through his mind as he remembered Blaine training his Pokémon training in the depths of his volcano based gym, or even taking a trip to Sea Foam islands to train in the absolute cold. It was then that Rob realised Blaine got his Pokémon tough by subjecting to the most extreme possible conditions. This made him realise that it was the same for his Pokémon, if he was ever to take over for Blaine, he needed his Pokémon to be tested & trained in the most extreme circumstances possible, & furthermore he needed to be tougher than his Pokémon. As Blaine an elderly man himself would stand in extreme heat & in extreme cold to test himself as well, he may have been tough on his Pokémon, but they respected each other.

By this point Rob had made it all the way to the Lab, easily overtaken by every trainer that he had gotten off the bus with. He was of course in no need to rush, & really didn’t want to for that matter. As he looked over at the entrance to the Lab, easily double if not triple the number of kids was hounding the assistant at the entrance. To make Rob feel slightly better some of them appeared to be around 15 years old, so at least there was potential for him to have some saving grace in the tournament. Seeing a tree where he could still see the door & hear all the commotion, he decided to park himself under it. Reaching round his waist he took out his Pokéball, staring at the flame emblem, he continued to reminisce about time gone by.

Rob had lost track of time by the point that Professor Oak had actually stepped out of his lab, it could easily have been 10 seconds or even possibly 30 minutes. With the opening of the door however, came what felt like a breeze that could knock a full grown man off his feet, but yet not even move a Spinarak’s web, although very eerie, Rob put no thought into it, as despite his reservations for the tournament, he did want to get it started, as he may very well get lucky.

“Well it’s so nice to see so many of you made it here” Professor Oak said, with a huge smile across his face, “While I am sure you are all eager to get underway, I best tell you a bit about the format”. The aging man was handed a clipboard from one of his assistants, & he continued “It will be a simple 1 on 1 match-up with the winner progressing to the next round. Although some of you may have come with more than one Pokémon, the one you begin with is the one you finish with.” There was a small amount of whispers coming from the crowd, but it didn’t throw the Professor off very much “Nurse Joy will be on hand to heal any Pokémon injured, so to keep the matches fair.” The whispers had once again begun, but still the professor continued “There will be a special prize for those who finish in the top two”. Of course at this notice the whispers soon changed to actual talking, as now they were beginning to speculate on what such a prize could actually be, ranging from rare Pokémon to a new special type of badge.

Rob was of course uninterested by any such talk, & was just hoping that it would start soon. It was at this point that he noticed the Professor staring directly at him, & not even attempting to hide it. He began to feel like he was being looked inside of, with how intent the old man was staring. Rob was just starting to become extremely uncomfortable when one of the assistants, urged Professor Oak to continue.

“Now then I would like to announce the beginning of the running order, it was decided by what point you signed on the dotted line today. So number one is Rob of Cinnabar Island against Ozil of Goldenrod City, number two...” Rob knew this meant he was going to be against one of the younger children that got off the bus with him, & as such all the thoughts from before began to return “What if I lose? What if I fail? What if this was all one massive mistake...”

These thoughts went round & round Rob’s head until suddenly he heard one of the assistants shout out “Ok, everybody needs to head round the back, the battlefield has already been set-up for you all to use”. Rob made no rush to head towards the back, as there was already a push & shoving contest.

Rob did however make sure that he was close enough to the main group to hear the bulk of the conversation, however it was still all about the prize for the top 2, rather than the first battle. Truthfully he wasn’t certain what he was listening for, whether it was the type of trainer Ozil was, or the type of Pokémon he had with him. It was at this point that all the combinations of bad Pokémon he could have in his first battle began to be made clear. He carried on wandering & in deep thought, until all of a sudden he noticed he was actually on the battle ground, starring across from his opposition.

The battleground itself was just a plain grass field, with the two areas for the trainers clearly marked. His opponent was almost as plain as the field itself, as expected it was just a kid aged between 11 or 12, with spiky brown hair, wearing a simple white sports jacket, with some emblem on the side, which if Rob could have read may have made some sort of difference. But it was too late to worry about it by that point, & blue jeans similar in style to the ones Rob was wearing himself.

It would appear that one of the lab assistants would act as referee, as he was standing at the half way line. However before the referee could begin the match Ozil spoke “Good luck Rob, let’s have a good match”, Rob responded rather quickly, from an emotionless face “If you need luck, you have already lost. Good luck.” Such a response quickly aroused commotion from the crowd, disbelief for them that a Pokémon trainer could act in such a way, especially when they all grew up idolising them as great icons. Perhaps their thoughts would have been different if they had known the real thought s running through Rob’s mind, but being tough & not displaying weakness was certainly something he would have to do today & everyday now for the rest of his life.

At this point the referee began the match; both competitors throwing out their Pokéball’s at near identical times. “It’s time Arson” was the call from Rob, with the call from Ozil being “Go Makuhita”. It was with that call that Rob’s heart sank, as everyone else around would understand when they say “Arson” appear. Out from the Pokéball appeared a Houndour, & it was already snarling at its opponent, the much larger Makuhita. However all this snarling seemed to act like a natural growl attack, despite the fact it seemed that Houndour was just an ill-tempered Pokémon.

Before Ozil could even understand that the battle had properly begun, Rob ordered the first attack “Ok Arson, Ember”. Arson obeyed immediately, shooting small flames directly at Makuhita, & it seemed to faze him very little. “Ok let’s just keep at a distance the best we can”, Rob continued.

Ozil seemed to be in more of a state of bewilderment than his Pokémon was fazed, but still managed to get something of an attack off “Arm thrust”. To which Makuhita responded by charging at Arson, pumped & ready for the battle.

Rob responded “Dodge it Arson & ember again”. Just as it seemed too late for Houndour to dodge it did, seeming to get behind Makuhita at an impossible angle. Once behind at a safe distance, Arson fired off another set of small flames into the back of Makuhita, causing it to fall over its own feet. There was a buzz around the battlefield as the rookie trainers couldn’t understand the simple basics of how a dark Pokémon like Houndour could land two shots, while being weak to its opponent landing none. “Let’s make the battle interesting Arson... Howl!” Arson began to howl into the sky, if it was night time it would surely have been a picture.

“Focus Energy Makuhita” Was Ozil’s next command to his Pokémon. Makuhita body began to glow with a red aura, as it’s normally flabbier body began to show, a more defined muscular outline.

“Bad mistake kid, you have to actually be able to hit your opponent for that move to make any difference... Ember again”, as it is just finished it focus energy; Makuhita is once again hit in the back by a barrage of small flames.

A seemingly ruffled Ozil once again orders his Pokémon “Makuhita... arm thrust again”. Again Makuhita comes charging at Houndour, arm ready to make contact with Arson. Arson holds its ground, while Rob says nothings.

Professor Oaks Assistant could be heard whispering to the Professor “Looks like they’ve both frozen up out there”. While the Professor himself kept a stern look on his face, watching the battle with quite some intensity.

Then just as Makuhita was within reach of Arson, Rob yelled out “Ember... Then over the top”. Arson obeyed without hesitation, it was this faith that made the move work. Arson blasted a small amount of the little flames at Makuhita; just enough to knock him off his stride, & then literally went over the top of Makuhita. The “Guts” Pokémon then fell to its knee, that last ember had managed to burn it; however it then showed why it had earned its nickname by suddenly glowing in a crimson aura, while its eyes turned the same colour.

Ozil watched in amazement, but still not understanding what was going on, while Rob responded in a cenacle way “Do you know anything about your Pokémon, that’s its special ability Gut’s... Too bad it’s still not going to help you if you can’t hit Arson” Rob points straight out Makuhita, who’s still in the process of the activation “Ember again”. Arson blasts out its strongest ember yet, again smashing into the back of Makuhita, but still not enough to knock it out.

“Ok Makuhita arm thrust full power” Ozil again tells his Pokémon, this battle really sounding like a broken record. As Makuhita began to run across the battlefield, it suddenly seized up & fell to floor, knocked out from the burn. The assistant acting as referee then declared it as unable to battle, giving the victory to Rob.

Arson came straight over to Rob, changing immediately from a starling beast from hell, to a loyal & faithful companion, while Ozil went straight over to Makuhita, & began to say words of a generic nature about trying its best. He then looked at Rob & with a smile said “Thanks for a great first battle”. Rob sneered at his young opponent & responded with “You knew nothing about your Pokémon, nothing about how to use it, or its moves & lost despite having a type advantage & managing to activate it special ability, you’re lucky that your Makuhita will stay loyal to it. A stronger Pokémon would have battled for itself or not at all.”

While the words may have been true, there was no way that Rob meant them. While he always knew exactly what he was doing, & what he wanted to do, it was all down to luck that Houndour was capable of doing those things. As without its incredible speed it could have quite easily of been a one or two hit knock-out.

These words hit the area hard, as all the rookie trainers took it to heart, that if that was true of one of them, it was true of all of them, prompting a moment of silence, before a large amount of chatter. All up until Professor Oak stood up, at first many felt he was going to say something, but with a strong stern look on his face that he had all battle, he just turned around, & walked into his lab. Leaving the assistants in desperation, as they tried to distract everyone by setting up the next match.

I hope people enjoy reading this, i'm enjoying writing them so the next one will probably come friday if i'm not hung-over, or saturday if i am.

Chapter 2-

The next few rounds were very simple for Rob & Arson, they had been faced up against a series of challengers with Pokémon, that were weak to fire type moves, with trainers that were just as inexperienced as their Pokémon. Round two had them face against Nuzleaf which fell after a couple embers, the trainer dressed in an outfit almost looking like a Nuzleaf, gave almost no orders seeming to give up based entirely on type match-ups. Round three had them against a Jynx, who the same as the Nuzleaf fell quickly to the ember attack, this trainer seemed more interested in the way the attacks looked & the positioning of her Jynx, obviously a co-ordinator in the making, but forgot completely about the battle itself.

Round four presented more of a challenge as they faced off against a Magnemite, which early on hit a Thunder Wave, however the thunder shocks couldn’t do the required damage as the ember could. Round five, the quarter final, on the other hand presented another easy match against a Pineco, which again fell quickly to an ember attack, just as the earlier opponents had. Rob couldn’t help but feel lucky for the type match-ups that he got placed with, & of course after each victory he tore down his opponent, for their failings as a trainer, getting harsher with each victory as his confidence grew.

This led to his semi-final battle against a trainer who clearly saw himself as a Psychic, as approaching in a purple robe, he seemed to be spending more time attempting to lift his Pokéball with his mind, than concentrating on his opponent. Rob had noticed it before the match-up; his competitor had spent ages attempting telekinesis, & almost no time watching the matches. As such Rob hoped he’d have an advantage, as there might be some level of surprise against his opponent. The referee once again yelled for the competitors to throw in their Pokéball’s. Again out of Rob’s flame decaled Pokéball came Arson, & from his opponent’s came a Drowzee.

Rob already knew he was going to hold the type advantage, seeing the lad battle before, but without any dark-type moves, it was only a defensive strength. Rob quickly gave an order “Ember, Arson”. At the same time, the Psychic said nothing, just carried on trying to lift the ball.

Arson shot dozens of little flames at Drowzee, however the Drowzee hit full on with the attack rather than showing any damage from the attack just took a couple steps closer to Arson. This left Rob in shock. So he once again ordered “Arson, Ember even stronger”.

Arson shot out even more small flames than before, hitting the Drowzee even harder than before. However the Drowzee looked even less fazed than before, once again it just kept on taking more steps forward closer. By this point Rob was just getting more frustrated, this was also shown in Arson, as it began to snarl angrily, all caused by its lack of its attacking ability to this point. Rob then once again yelled “Arson, Ember full force!”

Arson now almost at point blank range fired off its small flames in a larger quantity & the flames themselves larger than before. However before the attack could even finish, Arson was hit straight across the face by Drowzee in mid attack. Drowzee had used all its defensive power & managed to hit a Pound attack in the midst of Arsons, most powerful ember.

The Psychic still did nothing, other than try to lift his Pokéball with his mind, as his Drowzee continued the punishment; it hit more & more pounds, one after another. At such an impressive speed & power than Arson had no way it could possibly respond. “Arson, do anything you can to dodge an attack” Rob yelled at his Pokémon.

It was no good however, as much as Arson wanted to doge, before it could get the power to do so, Drowzee was ready with another pound, just to continue the punishment. Rob kept staring at his Pokémon, slowly being beaten physically by the hypnosis Pokémon. As a last gasp effort, Rob decided to yell the first thing that came to mind “Attack Drowzee’s arm”.

Under the command of his trainer, without question, Arson followed the order, as Drowzee’s arm came down to hit Arson once again across the face. Arson suddenly bit down on Drowzee’s hand. Arson appeared to have learnt bite, as this simple attack had sent the Pokémon reeling. With the one attack, Arson had floored Drowzee, a Pokémon four times his own weight with the one move. Upon hitting the floor Arson let go & jumped to the side. “Ok Arson, Bite again” Rob yelled looking to take advantage of this new attack.

Arson came straight for his downed opponent, this time clamping down on the head of his opponent, causing Drowzee for the first time in this match to actually look towards his trainer in the hope of getting something like an order; however the Psychic just continued to mess around with his telekinesis. Almost completely oblivious to his Pokémon now in dire straits, especially with the next order from Rob “Again Arson, just keep biting him until he faints”.

Arson of course complies by constantly biting Drowzee, & it isn’t long till the Pokémon succumbs to dark type move & collapses. The referee declares Drowzee out of competition, as soon as its head hits the ground with quite a bad thud. The Psychic once again shows almost no interest in his Pokémon. Meanwhile Rob runs over to his Pokémon Arson, congratulating it & checking that it is in fact alright after the beating it took at the hands of Drowzee.

Finally after a quick check-up on Arson by Rob, had the Psychic realised that the battle had in fact ended, & that he had lost. The psychic stopped trying to levitate the Pokéball for just the moment to return his Pokémon. As soon as he did however, the Drowzee jumped out of the Pokéball, & began walking away from the psychic into the crowd. To which the Psychic said his first words “Drowzee return”.

It was no good however; as soon as he did Drowzee jumped right back out of the Pokéball however, & continued to head towards the crowd. The Drowzee reached the crowd & just as he was about to enter & go through. Again the Psychic commanded his Pokémon “Return Drowzee”, but this was followed up by another command “Ember the ball, Arson”.

Just as the Psychic was about to try to return Drowzee to his ball, he hand was hit a small amount of flames, knocking the ball straight out of his hands, as the Drowzee disappeared into the crowd. Rob then approached the Psychic, with Arson by his side. “You really think you have the right to own a Pokémon, you paid no attention in this or any of your matches. You paid no attention to any of the matches here. Your Pokémon got to the semi-finals all by itself. The only person worse than you at this second, is the person who thought it would be a good idea for you to become a trainer. You are nothing but a disgrace to anyone who entered competition here today, as they are all more deserving to be in your spot than what you are” Rob had once again decided he was going to lecture his opponent following the match.

This time however rather than being met with whispers of being called harsh & uncalled-for, his words had caused people to only talk about his opponent, repeating the words that Rob had said. The Psychic began to walk off in shame, while the crowd parted to allow him to pass, as they continued to whisper. The Psychic obviously wanting to be a trainer but really not ready to take advantage of any opportunity, & really uncertain of how to be a real trainer.

Blog Entries

I love this story! You're really making a character out of Rob--he's harsh to everyone else, but inside he doesn't want to let down his pokemon. I really like where this is going, and I can't wait till the next chapter!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Thanks for the kind words
    I was beginning to worry that no-one was interested in this story

A short but sweet chapter... Hope you enjoy & please keep commenting :)

Chapter 3-

Stood at his table, Professor Oak addressed the crowd of defeated trainers, while the two finalists were stood behind him. “Thank you all for you competition today, we have seen some amazing battles from all of you” Oak said with a huge smile across his face, he then began to raise his arms up to should height, as he continued “& I know that all of you have the potential to go as far as you like, & I only hope you all achieve all your goals & ambitions”.

The crowd gave up a large cheer, as Oak slowly turned to look at the two finalists. “I now only hope that these great battles continue with our two finalists... Rob from Cinnabar Island & Jeanette from Lavender town”.

It was clear to everyone that Jeanette got a lot more cheers than Rob, with that said it wasn’t surprising as she was much more the people pleaser than Rob. With long blonde hair, soul quieting blue eyes & a pretty face, dressed in a white top, with green trim & a short green skirt. This coupled with a lack of people skills from Rob, tearing down his opponents at the end of each fight, as witnessed by all those in attendance. It would have been surprising if anyone was actually applauding Rob, for any reason other than to be polite.

Of course none of this mattered to Rob, especially as he had seen Jeanette in battle, & both of them knew Rob held the advantage going into the final match, but it didn’t stop the conflicting thoughts re-entering Rob’s head “What happens if I lose this tournament now... Is second really worth nothing compared to first... If I win will it actually mean anything itself... If I win then really realise that I don’t want to compete, have I just ruined it for everyone else...”

His trail of thought was interrupted rather abruptly however though, when professor Oak continued his announcement “I hope you have all learnt something from today, which will be your prize”. The crowd began to mutter amongst themselves, but it was hard to tell if it was a mutter of disappointment or not, none the less the professor continued “However for the two of you there will be a prize after the match” he turned around to look at Rob & Jeanette properly “That was supposed to be the only prize, but seeing how hard everyone has battled, I have decided to award an extra prize to the winner”. This caused the crowd to once again stir once again with speculation of the prizes, while still bitter about their own lack of prizes.

Rob & Jeanette were then led away by the assistant back to the battlefield. Once there the assistant went over the same basic rules “This is a 1-on-1 battle, the winner will be declared when the others Pokémon is no longer able to battle”. With this he threw his arms down to signal the trainers to throw their Pokémon out. “Go Arson” yelled Rob, shortly followed by the obvious “& you Scyther” from Jeanette. Rob new it was going to be Scyther, having watched the previous battles he was quietly confident.

“Let’s make this quick Arson, ember” Rob pointed towards Scyther, as Arson obeyed immediately & fired the familiar small flames at Scyther. The Mantis Pokémon looked to brace itself, when suddenly Jeanette yelled something herself “Ok Scyther just as we said, false swipe”.

Instead of taking the hit, Scyther began to cut straight through the small flames with its blades. The defensive strategy took both Rob & Arson by surprise, leaving Jeanette with a smile on her face “You really think you were the only one watching your opponents. Without your ember your only attack is bite, even if it was a dangerous attack you couldn’t even get close enough without Scyther destroying you”.

Rob is once again taken back, Jeanette was right, but that didn’t mean he wasn’t going to try of course & at least make a go of it. “Challenge this technique Arson... Full strength ember right now” As Houndour is preparing to shoot out the ember, Jeanette responds with her own command “Scyther, quick attack!”

Before Houndour could even shoot out the ember, Scyther had come flying forward & hit Arson straight across the body. “Don’t give it a chance Arson bite it”, Arson responded in mid flight by biting down onto one of Scyther’s blades, of course it was futile as the bug-type was strong against dark-type moves.

Jeanette responded “Is that the best you have? Scyther false swipe again”. Scyther then smacked Arson at point blank range with another false swipe; Arson then went flying across the battlefield. Arson jumped almost straight back into the air “Ok ember again, full strength”, Rob yelled hoping it might actually manage to hit this time.

Jeanette just laughed, & responded quickly once again “Won’t you learn, & try something new. Quick attack again”. Scyther came flying forward once again; Rob had to think fast as this couldn’t last “Switch to bite quickly” Was the only thing he could think off for his.

It was at this point that something strange happened, Arson actually manage to bite down on Scyther as it collided with him, but unlike last time Scyther actually appeared hurt by the bite. Both Jeanette & Rob looked at the injured Scyther, both with a lot of shock on their face. As everyone tried to figure out what happened.

One of the other rookie trainers was the first person to notice exactly what had happened, he yelled something rather odd “Why is Houndour’s teeth on fire”. It was at this point that Rob had realised that Arson’s quick combination of ember & bite had led to him learning Fire fang. All the while Scyther appeared to be getting weaker, Rob knew this image from a million miles away Scyther was burnt, badly by the looks of things. Rob then gave Jeanette a sly look, then in a menacing voice said “Looks like you’re against the clock now... Ember, Arson!”

Once again Arson shot out the little flames towards Scyther; this led to the response from Jeanette “Back to the start Scyther, false swipe the flames”. Once again Scyther uses his blades the attack the flames, cutting them down, protecting himself. “Keep the ember going, he can’t keep this up now” Rob responded to the situation quickly. It was only a couple of seconds before the burn hit Scyther, & with it the Mantis Pokémon lost its concentration & was hit by the ember with some force, sending it across the field.

“Quickly Arson... Follow up with fire fang” Rob once again yelled, pointing at the now weakened fallen opponent. Arson as usual followed orders without question, darting at full speed across the field, Jeanette cried out in anguish “Do something Scyther”.

However it was no good Arson got over to Scyther before it could even get up, & bit down hard on the back of Scyther. Arson came flying back to keep its distance from Scyther, Scyther slowly got to its feet, just as Rob was about to give another order, when all of sudden Scyther collapsed straight back down to the floor, much to the shock of Jeanette. The referee then declared Scyther out of the match & that Rob & Arson had won both the match & the tournament.

“How could this happen?” Cried Jeanette “I researched you & had everything planned”, she continued. Rob & Arson once again approached their downed opponent. “You want to know why you lost.” Rob said with a sarcastic tone to his voice as he looked down at his fallen opponent with a sinister stare & continued “You came into this match with a brilliant defensive strategy, but you need to win matches with just as much offense, especially with an attacking Pokémon like Scyther. You failed to plan properly & it cost you the match. You were lucky we weren’t more prepared or you wouldn’t have stood a chance at all.”

Blog Entries

Nice! A few grammar mistakes involving quotations, but a brilliant match. I love how Rob is condescending even to a stronger opponent.
    I wonder what the prize will be? I'll be waiting for the next chapter!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Hopefully enough people care about my Fanfic toi warrant me putting this up. I'm away for a week starting saturday, so depending how the next couple days go there may only be the one chapter update, but there may be two :)

Blog Entries

Well, at least one person does. I'm glad to hear a new chapters coming!

Made by Blue Dragon!

Hope you guys enjoy chapter 4... I didn't think i would enjoy writing it, but i did, so i hope its as good as i think it is.

Chapter 4-

Just as Rob was finishing his berating of Jeanette, Professor Oak was walking over with his two assistants behind him. “That was a brilliant battle; I can’t remember when I saw one that was that good in person.” Oak said with a huge smile across his semi-addressing Rob & Jeanette but at the same time engaging with the crowd, he continued “By the sounds of it the other trainers agree with me, now please follow me up the stage.”

Jeanette retuned her fallen Scyther to his Pokéball, while Rob kept Arson out. They followed directly behind Oak, & were themselves followed by the assistants, who were only there to stop the crowd from swamping Professor Oak. The “stage” was close to the battle ground, but it’s quite difficult to call it a stage as it was just a few wooden planks nailed together, with a small table & a microphone on it. Oak went up the steps, & went straight towards the table, as Rob & Jeanette went to climb the steps they were pulled back by the two assistants, who simultaneously ordered “You will not move till you are called for”.

Professor Oak went straight to the table, & picked something up, it was small enough for him to fit into one hand, as he turned & went to the microphone. A huge smile once again beamed across his face, as he began to speak “Thank you all for a wonderful day of battling & I hope to see you all battling competitively & achieving your dreams.” The crowd cheered Oak’s kind words, as he continued “Now of course we have the matter of the prize for our two finalists.” Oak’s assistants then nudged both Rob & Jeanette, quite hard, as they began to walk up the steps.

“As many of you know, I have for a long time been perfecting my Pokédex system to help all trainers, & now with my latest version, it combines all the details of a Pokédex with the Pokégear & Pokétch. As well as holding all the current known details of every Pokémon every caught or seen past or present & will update constantly.” By this point both Rob & Jeanette had made it over to professor Oak who turned, & practically pushed the Pokedex’s into their hands. Jeanette raised hers above her head & celebrated the fact she had been given this special prize, while Rob seemed less than impressed & only put on a very clear fake smile for the whole world to see.

Professor Oak quickly turned back to the microphone & once again addressed the crowd “Now again thank you, but I must now take our winner to the Laboratory to claim his grand prize.” That thought did bring a real smile to Rob’s face; the thought of something which nobody else can see would bring a smile to anybody’s face. During the thought process, Oak had already begun walking down the steps; he was only interrupted due to Arson, tugging on his jeans leg. Rob then caught up with Oak, in a fast walk style, attempting not to look like he was rushing. Mean while the laboratory assistants could be heard trying to get people to leave the grounds without issue. It didn’t take much however as most were pumped & ready to get moving on their journey. It was apparent that Rob had the biggest effect on his opponents, then anyone else had on theirs, as all of Rob’s opponents showed the extreme contrasts, as some of his opponents were running ahead of the pack, while some of the others were only moving as fast as the Assistants were able to push them.

While this was all going on, Oak entered the Lab through the door he had earlier slipped into the laboratory through, & of course Rob & Arson quickly followed in behind. The door led directly into the main laboratory area. Where Oak walked into the centre of the room & faced away from the door. Rob paused himself only a couple steps into the room, noticing Oak had paused in the centre of the room, before Rob had time to think about what was going on, or to say or do anything Oak began talking “Your quite the Enigma Rob...”

Rob was taken aback by these words & before he could respond, once again Oak began talking “After seeing your first battle & more importantly hearing you afterwards. I decided to talk to your referrer; I was very shocked to see it as Blaine.” Oak this time turned around & began making arm gestures as he spoke “As I’m sure you know I have been working with the Pokémon league & gym leaders for such a long time, & nothing I knew about Blaine would lead me to believe he would refer someone so cold.”

Rob decided to respond quickly before he could be interrupted this time “What difference does...” Despite attempting to take the intuitive by quickly responding, he still ended up interrupted by Oak “Blaine told me that the boy that left his gym was not cold hearted at all, & actually needed to be shown a picture of you to believe I had the right person.” A very serious look came across Oak’s face as he continued “Then I began to question, what could cause a person to change from an attentive gym assistant to a cold & bitter trainer.”

Rob once again attempted to gain the intuitive, but couldn’t even think of a way to respond other than the truth that he didn’t mean half the stuff he said to the now broken trainers. Oak once again managed to get the first words in “This led me to look closer at your Houndour, or should I say Arson.” Arson stepped forward began growling at the elderly gent, obviously sensing the anxiousness of its trainer in the current face of, despite the aggressive nature of the Pokémon, Oak still got down to one knee & reached into his pocket, pulling out a small brown chunk. He held it out in his hand, to which Arson cautiously took.

Oak smiled once again for the first time since they left the stage, & slowly looked back up at Rob, continuing his rundown “However your bond with your Pokémon is stronger than I have ever seen so quickly from a rookie trainer, so you clearly aren’t as cold hearted & as bitter as you would like me & everyone else to believe.”

This time Rob managed to respond quickly, & decided to say whatever came to mind, it didn’t matter Oak had already sussed out his fake personality “What difference does it make how I treat my opponents, everything I say is true. It all will inspire them to be better trainers, or to stop now & save their Pokémon the embarrassment of working with a lousy trainer.” With each word Rob seemed to get louder & more anger filled his voice.

Oak’s smile got bigger as he realised he had broken down the defences that Rob had put up with each match of this tournament, he quickly countered “So what happens when your beaten, are you good enough for your Pokémon?” Rob began to open his mouth to once again, but was interrupted once again by Oak “That was a rhetorical question; your Pokémon wouldn’t leave as you are in fact a great trainer, as can be seen from your Houndour, & he battled to help you, not for himself.” Just as Rob was beginning to feel a little pride, Oak began to talk again, which knocked all that pride out of him as he knew whatever Oak said wasn’t going to pleasant for him “But you need to understand that all trainers need to stand as one, & when one person decides to go against the flow, everyone else suffers as well. Currently you’re hitting single trainers one on one, but when you start hitting more than one, you’re going to wish you had a friend in this world.”

Rob’s anger boiled over by this point, quite a rarity that he was able to control himself this long, but he did have a lot of respect for the aging professor, but that wasn’t enough now “I don’t need any weak trainers for friends, I have Arson & any other Pokémon I catch to be my friends & that is all I will ever need. Where the hell is my prize?” Rob clenches his fist as the anger continues to build within him.

Oak stops smiling & reaches inside his other pocket, & pulled out a Pokéball, with the same decal as the ball which contained Arson. Oak throws it to Rob, then smirks as he starts to talk “I got the Pokéball especially made when I saw your first match, I was certain you would win. There wasn’t even supposed to be a grand prize, but I hope that this Pokémon might help you realise something very important.”

Rob ends up with a very intrigued look on his face, as he looks at the Pokéball, with several thoughts running through his mind “How did Oak know I was going to win? What does he mean realise something important? What Pokémon is it?” With the last thought going into his mind, he throws the Pokéball, so to see what Pokémon he had received.

Out of the Pokéball jumped the Chimp Pokémon, Chimchar. Rob had never seen one before, but often heard stories about them from people passing through Cinnabar Island from Sinnoh. The intrigued look previous on Rob’s face was now puzzled, but before he could say or do anything Chimchar began to move. Chimchar began to dance around on the floor, waving his arms & stamping his feet, very happy & cheerful. All of a sudden it stopped & looked up at the Rob’s puzzled face, & a huge smile came across its face as it jumped up onto Rob’s torso & climbed all the way up to his shoulder.

Oak then smiled just as much as the Chimchar was, & he then attempted to explain the situation for Rob “I received this Chimchar for research purposes from Sinnoh, however upon seeing you & your Houndour. So solemn & angry, this Chimchar, so hyper & happy is a stark contrast to both of you & will hopefully bring out in you, exactly what you need”.

Rob has less of a puzzled look on his face, & himself develops a smirk across his face, he then responds to Oak “Well I suppose it’s better than this Pokédex you gave me, & at least it’s a fire-type”. Rob then reaches for both his Pokéball’s, returning both Arson & his newly received Chimchar. Rob then turned to leave the Lab through the same door he entered, but just as he reached for the handle, he paused, & seemed to swallow just before he spoke “Thanks Professor.”

Oak regained the huge smile across his face, as Rob was just about to shut the door behind him, the old man then responded “Suppose you’ll have to think of a name for your Chimchar now then.” Rob shut the door, as Oak could be seen looking at a piece of paper on his desk, “He’ll have to learn quickly...”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast