Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48

Thread: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

  1. #1
    A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nowhere special
    Posts
    17,501
    Blog Entries
    273

    Default Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    Because the old thread was woefully out of date, here're the updated rules!


    -All stories (including non-pokémon and NC-17 stories) are welcome in the Writers' Workshop.

    -Users are responsible for any content they decide to view, including NC-17 content (provided it is properly marked as such). In short, if the warnings are there, don't complain because you made the decision to ignore them. That's not the author's fault.

    -Plagiarism (claiming another author's work as your own) is STRICTLY forbidden. HOWEVER, as borrowed inspration is the very nature of fanfiction, writing stories based on fanfics by another author is allowed. Try to get permission for this, however, and should the other author ask you to stop at any point, respect this and work accordingly.

    -Likewise, if you feel your work has been misappropiated, inform an admin or a fanfic mod. Supply evidence to support your claim or it will be ignored.

    -Be respectful of other members. If another member asks you to stop doing something, it is best to stop. If you feel this is an unreasonable request, please let a mod know and we will review the case. This does NOT apply to story content--your story is your own and no one can tell you otherwise, unless in the above instances. If someone is trying to get you to censor your content, then you need to alert a mod or admin.

    -All chapters of a fic must be posted in the same thread. In addition, whatever serves as the first part of the story must be in the first post. That means that a table of contents cannot make up the entirety of the first post, however they can be a part of it. Thread titles may be edited to reflect the latest chapter posted, and initial posts may be edited to include links to later chapters. However, sequels, prequels, spinoffs, splinters, etc., are NOT considered part of the same story and must be posted in new threads.

    -All stories must be posted ON BULBAGARDEN. Of course you can post them elsewhere as well, but you have to post the full text of your story on Bulbagarden. You CANNOT post a link to your fic and expect that to serve as a thread, and you CANNOT post a "teaser" followed by a link either. You CAN, however, post your fic and then a link to where you would prefer reviews. That way, those who can review at the desired place can do so, and those who can only review at Bulbagarden can do so as well.

    -We don't care what other sites do. Bulbagarden has no swear filter and as such we expect you to present accordingly. If you don't want to use certain words, don't use a string of asterics instead; word it so that the word is implied rather that used.

    -If you have multiple chapters ready to post, that's great! Shows some foresight. But no one wants to read multiple chapters posted at one time. Please wait at least three hours between posting seperate chapters. Otherwise it cuts down on your potential readership.

    More to be added later, if needed.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 1st January 2011 at 07:45 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    Can I ask a question about this?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    -All stories (including non-pokémon and NC-17 stories) are welcome in the Writers' Workshop, as are any discussion related to books, reading or writing.
    When you say "all stories", does that mean I am allowed to post a story that is not fan fiction? Like, an original work? I don't want to post something I'm not allowed to.
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][center]

  3. #3
    追放されたバカ Transfinite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Genderless
    Posts
    2,597
    Blog Entries
    27

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    Original fiction is and always has been allowed here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    I have a nitpick as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    -Be respectful of other members. If another member asks you to stop doing something, it is best to stop. If you feel this is an unreasonable request, please let a mod know and we will review the case.
    Does this mean that, if a user says in a review "stop using this character so much, I don't like him," we have to do what he says or else bring in a mod to settle it? It doesn't seem like story integrity should be sacrificed in a case like this, as long as you use the warnings properly to keep people offended by certain things away from the thread.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketsuban View Post
    Original fiction is and always has been allowed here.
    Arigato!
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][center]

  6. #6
    Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The Peach State
    Posts
    6,414
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Martonimos View Post
    I have a nitpick as well.

    Does this mean that, if a user says in a review "stop using this character so much, I don't like him," we have to do what he says or else bring in a mod to settle it? It doesn't seem like story integrity should be sacrificed in a case like this, as long as you use the warnings properly to keep people offended by certain things away from the thread.
    If someone tells you to 'stop' doing something, first reflect on what it is you're doing. Are you being overly sarcastic in reviews? That you can stop doing. Plagiarizing someone's story or characters? In that case, a mod should handle the situation.

  7. #7
    A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nowhere special
    Posts
    17,501
    Blog Entries
    273

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    The phrasing was meant to refer to behavior rather than story content, except in the alternate case of plagerism. Obviously others shouldn't be able to demand you change your story to suit them--they're not the ones writing it and you're not beholden to them.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    The phrasing was meant to refer to behavior rather than story content, except in the alternate case of plagerism. Obviously others shouldn't be able to demand you change your story to suit them--they're not the ones writing it and you're not beholden to them.
    It seemed logical, but the language of the rules made me unsure. Vielen dank.

  9. #9

    Pumpkin Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Because the old thread
    no one wants to read multiple chapters posted at one time. Please wait at least three hours between posting seperate chapters. Otherwise it cuts down on your potential readership.

    More to be added later, if needed.

    This has got to be one of the silliest rules I've ever seen. Let's say you buy a book. Do you flip through it and say, "Whoa, there's a bunch of chapters here all together. There's no way I'm gonna read all this."

    I'm not gonna be a huge nerd and whine about this, but if anything it should be a rule about not continuing your fiction. Who wants to read a story where the author just loses interest and stops posting?


    LOL @ pic. Has anyone really been far as even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

  10. #10
    Good Bad Bug Glitchipedia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Knight Pokémon University
    Posts
    2,522
    Blog Entries
    31
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    I'm curious.

    As long as the fic is swift to follow on Bulbagarden, are previews of/teasers for/discussions about future works permitted? Because I'd very much like to discuss the premise of my latest fic idea before I greenlight the actual writing process.

    Furthermore, I'm having second thoughts about posting my previous fic, as it uses several old clichés (journey fic, PokéShipping, Ash and Misty saving the world, made-up Pokémon, half-self-insertion, to name a few), though it does have some slightly more original elements as well (brief collision of game and anime universes, Misty's clone, fourteen virtually unknown Pokémon masters, brief crossover with another author's fic, unexpected pairings, to name a few).

    And, I imagine, as good as I could make my fic, I doubt it would be as epic as some of the others on here, such as A Savior's Legacy.

    Ultimately, I ask, is it still worth it? To whoever answers my questions, thank you in advance.

    YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    If you realize that this is fanfiction, and it's supposed to be insane (i.e., this IS NOT going to become a best-selling novel) then who cares? write it. I once wrote a story about time travel that made references to Fallout 3, Poke'mon and Futurama. Who cares if it made sense? I had fun writing it. It was fanfiction, and that's what this board is all about. Which is why I don't understand half the rules here, it's not like we're out to change the poke'world or whatever....

    as for your other question about posting teasers, no.
    this is one of the rules I agree with. Nobody wants to "read" a preview.


    LOL @ pic. Has anyone really been far as even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

  12. #12
    A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Nowhere special
    Posts
    17,501
    Blog Entries
    273

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    Discussions are more than welcome, but post previews on your blog.

    As far as the multiple chapters, it's different when you're reading a book because the author isn't metaphorically standing over you watching you read, so you can do so at your leisure. With a fic posted in multiple parts, it's more overwhelming because there's the knowlege that the author WILL see your comments and WILL take note of who's reading, so there's undue pressure. It's a psychological thing.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    I just want to add that if you post it all at once you don;t have a chance to read comments about what you have already posted which could improve the quality of the story overall which everybody would prefer.

  14. #14
    Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    3,560
    Blog Entries
    66

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    I agree with Raggae and Blackjack.

    At first when I started writing my fic, I wanted to post many chapters at once, but I've found that it's good to go slowly and read the feedback that people give on the individual chapters.

    Coming Soon...

  15. #15
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    492
    Blog Entries
    19

    Default Re: Fanfic Rules 2009 Edition--Updated May 23rd

    Are you allowed some sexual content in your fanfics?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •