Emotions ~ A spoken word tale

Thread: Emotions ~ A spoken word tale

The Astute cynic

Default Emotions ~ A spoken word tale

So Ladies, Gents, and all the other non-politically correct phrases I can think of to address you folk, I"m back. Albeit for a quick drop in but I am back. I"m mostly on LJ for a while now. Don't have time to do the forum biz and school at the same time. I'm not talented enough for that. Apparently you all want to see what I have to write. At least two people. I'll take that as public assent and opinion. I haven't done much in the way of writing in ages. I"ve got essays (mostly boring stuff on upper level psych and philosophy) but I've been writing character concepts and poetry. Of course, the poetry is fueled by the creative writing class. But, I've always done the poetry thing. I"ve gone to one or two poetry slams as well. Wrote this particular one for one of them. Never did read it though. Just went up there and talked about life for some odd reason. Apparently my stream of consciousness speak is done with rhyme and meter in mind. Not at all near any of my usual stuff though. THe POV is a new pov as well.
    ~

Shakes
    Like-boys cry because fathers hit-shakes
    like-L.A. in an earthquake - shakes
    like- hips on that Moroccan dancer - shakes
    Like- I haven’t popped pills in hours – shakes

Threatening
    Like – acid to explode on mama’s face- threatening.
    Like – a pimp raising his hand to a whore – threatening
    Like – Pops kicking my druggie ass out – threatening
    Like – lover ready to leave me - threatening

Angry.
    Like- Crack whores without crack - angry
    Like- I’m a crack whore without crack– angry
    Like –An addict because I can’t quit- angry
    Like – Still no fix - angry

Fuming
    Like - smoke off a Detroit factory – fuming.
    Like – sulfur dioxide off Vesuvius– fuming
    Like –lover catching me on his daughter- fuming
    Like – He’s so fine -- just can’t have him - fuming

Exploding
    Like- kids at Columbine - exploding
    Like –H-bombs on Nagasaki – exploding
    Like – bullets ripping MLK or JFK - exploding
    Like- no crack – so about to kill someone – exploding

Ecstatic
    Like- dreamt of success last night – ecstatic
    Like – sis holding my nephew– ecstatic
    Like – First climactic sex - ecstatic
    Like – Hobos with cheap whisky-ecstatic

Like –getting that fix finally – ecstatic
    ~

Until Next time.
    Love & Rockets
    Arun K.

edit: formatting. always forget how bmg and WYSIWYG don't mix.
    Last edited by tyger; 18th April 2005 at 04:50 AM.
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

Gym Leader

Hey man, I'm not much of a poetry person, but I know what I like and I like this. The only poet I really got into outside of the classroom was Plath, her whole life story, her poetry and the bell jar was just so interesting for me.

Anyway, I gotta ask, what kind of books/poetry do you read? you know what it makes me think of, Last Exit to Brooklyn but I can't really articulate how, I suppose it's the theme, but that kind of theme is definitely something I really like.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Sylvia Plath was a great poet, and so was Dorothy Parker. Your work has an immediacy to it, an urban vibe. It's very good.

The Astute cynic

Quote Originally Posted by MistyRocks
    Hey man, I'm not much of a poetry person, but I know what I like and I like this. The only poet I really got into outside of the classroom was Plath, her whole life story, her poetry and the bell jar was just so interesting for me.

Anyway, I gotta ask, what kind of books/poetry do you read? you know what it makes me think of, Last Exit to Brooklyn but I can't really articulate how, I suppose it's the theme, but that kind of theme is definitely something I really like.
    MR: Wow, I'm honoured that you compare me to Plath. I mean it's strange to think that I'm anywhere close to people such as Plath. I love her work myself.
    To what I read for poetry, Dorthy Parker, Kerouac, Ginsberg, Bob Dylan (not a poet but his work is poetry to me), Dylan Thomas, Tupac Shakur, and wide vareity of other things. I can't say I've read Last Exit to Brooklyn, but I've heard of it. I'll put it on my list of things to read.
    ~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb
    Sylvia Plath was a great poet, and so was Dorothy Parker. Your work has an immediacy to it, an urban vibe. It's very good.
    One of my favorite quotes is by Dorothy Parker. It really doesn't apply to my life or me in general. But, it's always caught my eye for being so bold, so naked. "My life is like ducking for apples. Just change a single letter."

thanks for the reply, I've been trying to mix that feeling of urbania with whatever else i usually put out. It's pretty interesting usually.
    ~

Here's one i wrote up a few nights ago.
    ~
    The Techno Beat
    --
    beat Beat beat beat
    beat dop bop d-d-dop d-d-bopdop
    We sway to the music of stars.
    The house music sets me on fire.
    beat dop bop bop bop
    There's that DJ molding us about.
    His hands always stop short of heaven.
    Throwing a little beat down on that box
    beat beat beat beat
    This is the way. Yes, this...
    is the way we sway. the way we sway.
    to the music of the stars.
    ~
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

Small and Deadly

I like both of these, but I feel I would like them much more if I could actually hear them, as they're meant to be (heard, not read). I can't decide in this format whether the repetition in the first one is good and effective or annoying.

Slam Poetry/Spoken Word/whatever you want to call it is cool. Ever watched Def Poetry Jam on HBO? Sometimes, it's amazing. And there's this one Asian group, can't remember what they're called, that I've seen a few times and they're amazing too. Almost made me cry once.
    Riding Fire
    A (very short and completed) original character fanfic about Rapidash Racing.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Timarelay's got a point. Reading this is not the same as hearing it, I'm sure.

Personally, I have to say that, while it's stylistically pretty damn cool, it doesn't really seem to drag me in just reading like that. Again, that's probably from what T pointed out.

The second one's a bit more interesting. The swaying to the music of stars line is pretty cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.