MATURE: A Dish Best Served Cold

Thread: A Dish Best Served Cold

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default A Dish Best Served Cold

Hey all, I know it's been forever since I've posted in here, but I've had a severe lack of creative impulses over the last few months. (and for those of you that have been waiting for a Confessions update since Arceus knows when... it will come, I promise).

Anyways, this is a new story, based on something I wrote over a year ago. Stumbling upon old work and realizing it sucks is always... well it sucks. But realizing that you can shape it into something better, shape it into a piece of something greater, well that makes it all worth it.

Sorry for that. I'll stop with the monologue.

A Dish Best Served Cold

Table of Contents:

Chapter 1 - The Blackest of Days
    Chapter 2 - Greatness is a Two Way Street ( A Dish Best Served Cold )

Chapter One: The Blackest of Days

May 27th, 2084
    Slateport City Courthouse

"Colt Jameson Walker, you stand before the court charged with..." For a man being led into a packed courthouse in chains, Colt Walker looked strangely complacent. Peaceful even. His deep blue eyes betrayed no hint of fear and his light blond hair was carefully mussed up, almost as if he was planning on looking good for the cameras. And there were cameras flashing throughout the back benches where the press was forced to sit. This wasn’t a normal criminal trial, and the man who stood accused of heinous crimes was far from normal. Not even twenty-three, his vicious and merciless acts had gained regional infamy.

"Judge, my man, I'm sorry, but I simply don't understand what the point of this horse and pony show is." Colt drawled in a voice that made him sound like your typical soul surfer. "Because if your witnesses are lying about the extent and methodology behind my crimes then you don't have a case." Colt's easygoing smile was infectious and a few of the reporters in the back of the courtroom actually laughed at his remarks. The judge however did not find it nearly as amusing. He slammed his gavel down, causing the room to go silent in an instant.

"Speak out of turn like that again and I'll find you in contempt of court!" The judge shouted, cutting Colt's further musings about if the witnesses weren't lying off before he could substantiate exactly what the witnesses had said. "Mr. Walker, you have been read the charges against you? How do you plead?" His options were numbered. He could plead guilty and spend a minimum of twenty-five years in prison. He could plead not guilty and hope that he could beat the justice system and walk away a free man. Or he could take a third option. And for Colt, his life had always been about taking the third option, the road lesser men were scared to travel.

He closed his eyes and flexed his fingers, waiting for the familiar surge of power that was sure to follow. His easygoing smirk turned wolfish and his deep blue eyes shifted into a demonic red and black. "My plea is meaningless. Your judicial system is nothing to me. Everyone here is nothing more than an obstacle, one that shall be overcome." The voice that Colt spoke with shifted deeper as he looked at the judge. "Only the weak plead and beg. Only the strong take action." Black shadow blades slowly emanated from his arms and with one quick swipe his handcuffs were nothing but useless shards of metal lying on the marble floor. He held his right hand out an orb of black auric energy slammed into the nearest wall, bringing it down in a heap of rubble. For a few moments that seemed like an eternity, the entire room was frozen. No one had moved or said a thing as they watched the accused murderer break out of his handcuffs with a mysterious force no one knew humans could possess. "I would like my things back." He said darkly as he walked over to the bailiff. The massive police officer was shaking like a small child as he reached over to a small shelf and grabbed the items in question.

"What... What are you?" One particularly brave officer in the back of the ruined courtroom finally managed to stutter. This heavyset balding man had been one of those responsible for bringing Colt into the courtroom.

"Every last thing that was mine was taken from me. But then I found purpose. I found power." Colt spoke every word as if he wanted them to be quoted by someone in the audience for later publication. He walked towards the large wood-paneled doors in the back of the courtroom. It was clear that he had decided to exit the building through the front door, rather than the hole he had made moments earlier. When he reached the doors, his prison jumpsuit vanished, replaced with a long black hooded cloak. The escaped criminal pulled the hood over his light blond hair, hiding his eyes in shadow. And then he was gone, nothing more than a ghost or a specter haunting the nightmares of everyone that witnessed his true form.

In order to understand a monster, it is necessary to understand the formative experiences that created him, that shaped him, that molded him into nothing more than a destructive force that none can hope to withstand.

Last edited by Mako; 2nd February 2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Blog Entries

Default Re: A Dish Best Served Cold

Judge is a badass, I like that. Very interesting start, as you do really well at adding an aura of mystery and importance to Colt. I'll be reading.

Blog Entries

Chapter Two: Greatness is a Two Way Street

The cosmic plan for Colt Walker’s life was nothing like the reality that had befallen him. He wasn’t supposed to turn out this way; he was born to a well-respected family, a family that had served people and Pokémon alike for generations. Just like his fathers and brothers, Colt Walker was expected to be one of the rangers who would be immortalized by the Corps. Accompanying his impressive pedigree were the skills to be the man he was expected to be. But Colt’s most important attribute, and the one that convinced people he could be the best ranger the family had ever produced, was that it was clear to every person that ever crossed his path that he truly loved Pokémon. No matter the odds, no matter the task, no matter the challenge, this was what stuck out to his peers and the training rangers at the academy. He’d brave blizzard conditions to help a wayward Piplup to safety, deftly maneuver through a rainstorm to get a young Charmander to shelter before its flame went out, battle impossible odds to rescue a Pokémon that was being abused by unscrupulous criminals… his compassion for Pokémon had no limits and knew no bounds.

Whenever it is said that someone will grow up to be great, to be immortalized, to be a legend… life doesn’t always go as planned. In those rare instances that someone is born to the destiny of eternity… sometimes fame turns out to be infamy. Greatness is something that is reached by great men; good and evil have nothing to do with it. And sometimes, all it takes is one misfortune to turn a good man bad, to turn a saint into a sinner.

May 28th, 2084
    Cerulean City, Kanto
    Imohi Towers

Colt’s destination was the top of one of the abandoned towers that dominated Cerulean City’s skyline. Once a thriving metropolis, the Kantonese city had been hit with an economic recession. Jobs had left the city and the people lucky enough to keep employment had left as well. As a result, some of the biggest skyscrapers, like Imohi Towers, which had once housed a large financial consulting firm, had been abandoned to ruin. However, some of these skyscrapers had been taken over by new tenants, and they looked far nicer inside than the rusting hulks appeared to the outside viewer.

Colt walked down the dark city streets slowly, pulling his jet black hood over his eyes to keep the rain out. The power was out again and as a result he could barely see where he was going. However, he had made this particular walk so many times that he had nearly committed it to memory. He traversed the pitch black asphalt; paying careful attention to anyone he passed. At this time of night, in this area of the city, odds were good that anyone he passed was a hardened criminal, made tough by the quest simply to beat poverty and hopelessness and survive.

Reaching the tower without incident, Colt walked into the east entrance and slid quickly through the broken glass doors. The lobby of the tower betrayed the building’s former opulence, but months of disuse had already taken their toll on the white marble and silver inlays that made up the first floor of the former corporate headquarters. There was a large elevator bank in the middle of the lobby area but Colt didn’t even bother going over to them, knowing that the mechanical behemoths no longer worked. He would have to take just over one hundred flights to reach the top.

However, being who he was, it took him less than five minutes to reach the top floor of the tower. Exiting the stairwell, he was faced with a familiar view. One that was in clear contrast to the decaying rest of the building. The walls were covered in well-maintained red satin with carefully etched black and gold patterns. Without working electricity, the hallway was lit up by a number of small flickering candles that were bracketed into the wall, filling the entire area with shadows. Colt looked towards two tall oak doors that had an artistic emblem carved into them. He strode confidently through the doors into a large room that had formerly been a conference room. Like the hallway, this room was lit by candlelight and had red satin walls. There was no furniture in the room and the entire back wall was nothing but one glass window.

Colt was faced by a single hooded figure, one that stood just over six and a half feet tall. The figure was wearing a brown tattered cloak and his pale white and purple skin stood out. “You have returned Colt.” The figure didn’t speak; he couldn’t speak in the conventional sense. Instead, he used telepathic communication and as such Colt heard the voice in his head. This made it possible for entire conversations to be had without the slightest worry of eavesdropping. Colt strode confidently over to the figure and upon approaching dropped to a knee, crossing his right fist over his heart. He held this position for a moment before saying a word.

“My Lord.” All Colt had to do was to think this and the figure could understand. There was no need to speak out loud. “I was easily able to remove myself from police custody.”

“As was expected of you.” The other figure removed his hood to reveal a facial structure that was somewhat feline. This was no human, this was a Pokémon. A Pokémon with command of the English language. “I have two tasks for you, two crucial steps that must be taken for my master stroke to be a success. For my new world order to be put in place, there are two more things that you must do.”

Colt betrayed no hesitation, even to a psychic type that was powerful enough to read his every thought. “Your will be done.” He conveyed a simple message, one that clearly pleased the Pokémon.

“You have served me faithfully since you were placed on the path all those years ago.” Colt allowed himself to smile just a bit at the praise. “And soon you will have completed all I need from you…” This took the young man by surprise. He wasn’t expecting to hear that. “Once you complete these last two tasks, I can reveal my existence to the world. And in doing so I can begin the process of claiming justice for my brethren, the Pokémon of the world that have been mistreated for eons.” The feline Pokémon strode across the room, Colt knowing to follow without interrupting. “As I have made clear, there are two things you will do. Your special abilities are no longer rumor, having been filmed and witnessed by many. I have been planning your reveal ever since we made our agreement in that cave, and the time had come.”

“I don’t understand… do you want me to use my Aura control in some particular manner?” Colt asked in his mind.

“Use your Auric powers yes, with some specific goal in mind no.” These instructions left a puzzled look on Colt’s face. “I want you to show your talents in public all over the world. Hop from region to region, nation to nation. Have every government of every nation focused on apprehending or killing you. Spread chaos, discord and fear across the globe.” Colt didn’t even look scared. He trusted the Pokémon implicitly and he knew that the feline still had a use for him and as a result would not allow him to come to serious harm. “Once you are the most wanted man on the face of the earth, we will move on to the final step.”

“And that is?” Colt asked after a few tense moments.

“You will become a champion.” Mewtwo said bluntly. “You will be my champion.”

The small giant Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Wow this fic is definitely different compared to your last one. I like it especially since it seems really action oriented. You said that it was written around a year ago, however the grammar is good and the description is good enough however the paragraphs could get a little big at times.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Judge is a badass, I like that. Very interesting start, as you do really well at adding an aura of mystery and importance to Colt. I'll be reading.
    The Judge wasn't supposed to sound as badass as he did XD

He's just supposed to have authority over his courtroom. Even if Colt doesn't respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Haze View Post
    Wow this fic is definitely different compared to your last one. I like it especially since it seems really action oriented. You said that it was written around a year ago, however the grammar is good and the description is good enough however the paragraphs could get a little big at times.
    The inspiration for this was written a year ago, and I haven't used any of the original writing from that one yet (I may at some point if any of it is usable).

All I got from that was a few ideas. The rest was new stuff.

Thanks for reading both of you :)