Deoxys and The Old One - Team Rocket's Last Stand

Thread: Deoxys and The Old One - Team Rocket's Last Stand

Registered User IHerdULiekMudkipz's Avatar

Default Deoxys and The Old One - Team Rocket's Last Stand

The return of a certain criminal organisation...the capture of a group of psychic extraterrestrials, and a terrible awakening, that could change the face of the world for good...can it be stopped?

I began writing this story over the Christmas holidays, hence it is Christmas in the story! As you can see, it's a slightly unusual format for a story, I think it gives it more of a progressive feel, almost like a diary that someone is looking back on, but still a proper story, rather than a biography or a life story. I originally wrote it for the Pokemon 4th Gen IGN Board which I post on and so many people liked it and recommended I share it with more people that I decided to test its success here. Hope people enjoy reading it! Here's the first chapter, please leave ratings/comments/constructive criticism. Enjoy!

Deoxys and The Old One - Team Rocket's Last Stand

Not your ordinary Christmas. Just about to relax and enjoy the celebrations, then something terrible happens and ruins Christmas for everyone. This year it’s pretty intense. Several years have passed since Team Rocket tried, and failed, to send a signal to Giovanni, asking him to come back to Team Rocket. Now, they have reformed for one last desperate attempt, by a very different method…

--------------------

Unknown Location – 3:45 PM
    A low, monotonous voice, whispered out of the shadows, sending a shiver down every spine.
    “It is nearly time…”
    One of the assembled lit a cigar, held it to his mouth and puffed. A small globule of smoke wafted over the heads of the completely silent gathering, as the voice spoke out again.
    “Soon, our plan will start to go into action. Good luck, my friends. We will need it…”

--------------------

Azalea Town – 4:00 PM
    The snow fell thickly, coating the sleepy town of Azalea in a pristine white blanket. The whole town now looked like a Christmas card. Small thatched cottages and impressive manor houses covered in snow, children playing in the streets with their Pokemon – building snowmen and throwing snowballs at each other, all wrapped up in coats, hats and scarves. In a small cosy cottage at the entrance to the Ilex Forest, Magnus Waterstone, a dark-haired 17-year old male, was crouched next to a fireplace, where a Growlithe was breathing a steady stream of flames onto the pile of stacked wood and coal, which immediately erupted, sending a wave of heat out into the sitting room.
    “Now that’s more like it! That’s you earned your Christmas cookies!”
    Growlithe barked happily, and bounded out the room, narrowly avoiding Magnus’s 16-year old sister Madeleine, which was lucky, as Growlithe would not have appreciated two glassfuls of pear juice raining down on him. The chilly white sky-dust outside was bad enough.
    “Cheers, Maddie,” Magnus said, gratefully, as Madeleine passed him a glass. “Nothing like pear juice on a day like this…what could go wrong, eh?”

--------------------

Goldenrod City – 1:58 AM
    “Keep out of sight until Apollo gives us the signal.”
    “Gawd dammit, you thought I didn’t know already?”
    “Don’t you talk that way to me, it was Athena’s orders everyone keeps each other in check.”
    “Yeah, yeah, ok, well you keep yourself hidden too.”
    “What do you think I…”
    A sound like that of sleigh bells drifted towards them in the cool night air.
    “That’s it! Everyone, the time has come! Push forward!”
    The group of Rocket Grunts slipped out of the alleyway and down the street, at the end of which towered a massive skyscraper with sloping glass facades and a colossal steel spire reaching up into the heavens, a flashing red light at the very top, hundreds of metres above them. Other small groups could be seen in the distance, emerging from hiding places all over the street. At the entrance to the tower, all the groups came together, waiting with bated breath. The doors to the tower opened a fraction. A sliver of a face could be seen through the crack, complete with a piercing eye that looked out at the assembled party.
    “Are you all here?”
    The voice emanated from the gap with a mysterious energy, with more chill than the very air that surrounded it.
    “We are all here, sir.”
    “Very good. Now then, I have a selection of Pokeballs in here, enough for one each. Use the Pokemon contained inside them and get to the top of the tower, I shall be waiting for you there with Athena. Lance, Lambda?”
    Two other voices sounded from within the foyer. “Yes, Apollo?”
    “Supervise the distribution of Pokemon, then bring up the rear in the ascent. Clear up any obstacles that may be harrowing the Grunts.”
    “Roger.”
    “My name is Apollo, not Roger. Right then…Athena, open the doors.”

--------------------

Azalea Town – 8:00 AM
    The urgent voice of the newsreader blared out of the television –
    And once again our top story. A criminal group has infiltrated the Goldenrod Radio Tower – experts say that they are the same group that caused havoc in the Johto region five years ago, and in the Kanto region three years before that. The criminals, said to be calling themselves Team Rocket, attacked the tower last night and kidnapped each and every one of its workers. Nobody is certain as to the aims of Team Rocket, so our advice to those in Goldenrod City and beyond is to not leave your homes unaccompanied, be back before nightfall each night, and stay clear of the Radio Tower. Thank you, and goodnight.
    “Team Rocket?” Magnus said. “Not those thugs again! Weren’t they taught a lesson last time?” He fingered one of the Pokeballs on his belt. “Maddie, maybe it’s up to you and me to stop this…”

--------------------

Goldenrod City – 8:05 AM
    Apollo pressed a large green button, and at once, a beeping sound began, as the tower’s antenna, facing skywards, began to emit a mysterious signal into the air…

--------------------

Outer Space – Time Unknown
    Heads turned skyward as the mysterious signal reached their ears. It was a beckoning call, a call for aid, from a distant planet. One by one, dark shapes rose into the sky, heading for the source of the signal…

--------------------

Goldenrod City – 10:00 AM
    The Deoxys descended like rain upon the city, generating cries of shock and fear from the residents. Like a single entity they soared towards the radio tower, gathering speed every second, but then…several things happened in quick succession.
    A Rocket Grunt on the ground pressed a button on a small black device in her hand, which sent a jet of electricity shooting upwards. The energy expanded, transforming into a massive cage-like structure, which enveloped the entire group of Deoxys. A blast of purple light shot from the tower’s antenna, bathing the creatures in the mysterious energy. Each of them glowed green briefly, then returned to their original state.
    “Now, my minions!”
    Apollo’s voice blasted out from the tower, packed with power and authority.
    “Clear everything in your path! Find our leader!”
    And with that, the army of brainwashed Deoxys rose once again – each of them sped off in a different direction, to carry out the task they had been set.

--------------------

Ecruteak City – 10:10 AM
    Some say that, at first sight, it looked like an aeroplane display. Others thought it might have been a meteor shower. But none of the residents of Ecruteak City had anticipated anything like this…
    Twenty Deoxys soared into the city – residents yelled with fear as the creatures passed overhead. Eight of the Deoxys transformed into Attack Forme, and began showering the city with Psycho Boost attacks. Another six shifted to Speed Forme and began zooming through the city’s streets, scooping up residents at an incredible rate. Three of the remaining six became Defence Deoxys, and headed towards the city’s power station, where they created a massive shield around the entire complex – researchers had been suggesting for years that the vision of a Deoxys was disrupted by electrical devices, and this seemed to prove them right. The last three Deoxys zoomed over to station themselves at different points in the city, where they began using Psychic to lift buildings from their foundations to reveal anyone who might have been hiding inside them. The screams of residents rose into the sky, as the attack on Ecruteak continued.

--------------------

Olivine City 10:10 AM
    At the sight of the approaching Deoxys, the entire population of the seaside city disappeared inside for cover. The Deoxys were having none of it. Rising over Olivine’s lighthouse and switching as one to Attack Forme, the Psychic attacks lifted the city’s buildings into the air, where they were tipped over by the strength of the Deoxys’ energy – thousands of people came tumbling out, only to be caught in a giant psychic field and borne away by half of the Deoxys, while the others remained behind to lower the buildings back to earth, then search for any remaining life forms.

--------------------

Violet City – 10:10 AM
    The Elder lifted a wizened arm and began lighting the candles that were arranged in a long line in the chamber. Twenty monks looked on, heads bowed, hands together and eyes closed, murmuring in an unknown tongue. The flames quivered with the power of the speech, and the lights dimmed further, until the only source was the flickering candles on the plinth. The Elder stepped back, and bowed his head.
    BOOOOOOOOM!!
    An explosion shook the chamber with all the force and fury of an avalanche. The ceiling trembled and clouds of dust descended – the monks started and stared upwards at the roof. Another explosion tore through the building as the monks scattered – the Elder extinguished the candles and tore out of the room after the others. A third explosion rocked the structure as the monks hurriedly descended the stairs…
    A swarm of Deoxys swooped down from the sky, spiralling as they descended over the city’s Sprout Tower. The ones that were in Attack Forme fired yet another barrage of Psycho Boosts at the building, and plumes of smoke rose from the points of impact as the whole tower swayed with the force of the explosions. The tower’s monks, with the Elder at their head, raced out of the doors and raised their hands at the intruding creatures.
    “Go back to whence you came, evil sinners! Depart from the world of peace immediately, and take your dark ideas elsewhere! Leave this world free from the taint of darkness!”
    Heads turned and looked down at the group of assembled monks. One of the Deoxys made an odd noise, like a foghorn blast, and the others responded in a similar fashion. In Speed Forme, they darted down towards the monks, grabbed one each and unleashed Thunder Wave at close range. The monks cried with discomfort as five Deoxys used Psychic to lift all the monks and carry them away. The remaining group assembled, nodded to each other, then dived down into the city to wreak more havoc.

--------------------

As I said, please do leave comments! I'll get the next chapter up soon.
    Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by IHerdULiekMudkipz; 15th January 2010 at 02:21 PM.
    79% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

And did I hear that u liek Mudkipz! I did, I swear I herd it! I herd u liek Mudkipz!

Default Re: Deoxys and The Old One - Team Rocket's Last Stand

Um...now would be a good time for feedback, are people going to read this? If so, leave comments etc. to let me know that this is receiving attention. Thanks.

And did I hear that u liek Mudkipz! I did, I swear I herd it! I herd u liek Mudkipz!

This is kinda good. You need more pokemon action though, as towards the end I was kinda forcing myself to read the last few paragraphs.

Credit for the amazingly awesome banner goes to Blazaking EX!!!
    Credit for the equally awesome Avatar goes to 'Kingdra!!!
    My Fanfiction account, reveiws welcome

Oh, don't worry. This is just the beginning of the story, there's plenty of Pokemon action to come, starting in the next chapter.

--------------------

ENTER THE DEOXYS - Part Two: Retaliation

Azalea Town – 10:15 AM
    Magnus and Madeleine stood at the entrance to Ilex Forest, looking up at the approaching Deoxys.
    “Here they come – let’s get out of here and get to Goldenrod!” Madeleine cried. “Let’s just hope the house is here when we get back!”
    Magnus suddenly paled. “I haven’t even thought about mum and dad! What can we do about them? They’ll be back tomorrow, and if the house isn’t here…?”
    “Well hopefully, we’ll be done by tomorrow!” Madeleine replied. “This will test just how much we’ve trained our team. Now let’s move!”
    “Flygon, let’s go!” Magnus shouted, throwing a Pokeball into the air. The Mystic Pokemon appeared in a flash of light and stretched its wings, eyes blinking rapidly behind the shiny red lenses. “Hop on, Madeleine! It’s time to stop Team Rocket!”
    The two of them jumped onto Flygon’s back. The dragon drew itself up to its full height, flexed its muscles and took off, speeding north towards Goldenrod. Three of the Deoxys in Azalea saw this happening and took off after them, but Flygon turned its head and fired a Sand Attack. Before the Deoxys could clear the sand away, Flygon accelerated and was soon out of sight.

--------------------

Goldenrod City – 10:30 AM

Down through the clouds Flygon descended, like some massive bird of prey, gathering speed as it headed for the Radio Tower. Four Deoxys that had remained behind in the city saw the dragon approaching and shot upwards from their stations to confront the ‘intruder’. Four Psycho Boosts shot towards Flygon – Magnus and Madeleine wasted no time.
    “Staraptor, you’re up!” yelled Magnus.
    “Gengar, I need your help!” Madeleine cried.
    A flash of light erupted into life in mid-air. From it emerged a massive bird with piercing eyes and a lofty red crest atop its head. Next to it, a chunky, dark purple creature with spikes on its back and a wide grin, cartwheeled several times before rising up with Staraptor to confront the attacks. Gengar glowed an eerie blue, and the Psycho Boosts were stopped in their tracks. Staraptor then fired a Hyper Beam, destroying them.
    Enraged, the Deoxys all transformed into Attack Forme and fired up even more powerful Psycho Boosts, but Staraptor and Gengar were having none of it.
    “Gengar, Shadow Ball!” cried Madeleine.
    “Staraptor, Swift!” Magnus shouted.
    Gengar rose higher into the air and raised its short arms above its head. A spinning ball of dark energy sparked into life from nothingness – Gengar brought its hands down and the ball rocketed downwards, spinning like a gyro, smashing into one of the Deoxys, who, having underestimated Gengar’s speed, did not have the time to transform. The creature plummeted to earth, out cold. Staraptor raised its proud head and shot a flurry of glowing stars towards the enemy. Another Deoxys who was just transforming into Defence Forme to rejuvenate its fallen comrade turned, flew forward and took the blast, protecting the two other Deoxys that had not seen the attack coming. There was an explosion, from which the Deoxys emerged, unscathed. A small nod to its comrades, then it flew down to help the other Deoxys on the ground below.
    “Oh no you don’t!” Madeleine shouted. “Gengar, Staraptor, keep these two in the air occupied. Swampert, help us out!”
    She threw the Pokeball downwards and a jet of white light sprang from it. A bulky cobalt-blue Pokemon appeared, sporting massive black fins protruding from its head and tail. Swampert leapt down to the ground with surprising speed and turned to face its foe. “Mud Shot, let’s go!”
    Swampert charged forwards, opened its mouth and spat a massive globule of mud at the two Deoxys. The speed at which it was fired overwhelmed the two creatures – the one who was still conscious was too late to protect itself. The mud collided with it, knocking off its feet.
    “Good one Swampert, right, Hydro Pump now!”
    A massive burst of water exploded from Swampert’s gaping mouth. It smashed right into the two Deoxys, sending them both flying, stunned. Swampert sent an Ice Beam after them, freezing them both solid. They crashed to the ground, completely encased in ice. Magnus sent out his Empoleon, who appeared on the roof of a building with its trident-like horns flashing in the sunlight. It jumped down to join Swampert, and together the two Water-types used Brick Break to smash the ice and completely overwhelm the two creatures inside. The two aliens collapsed, totally out-cold.
    “Nice one, guys!” Magnus called down.
    “Two down, two to go!” said Madeleine, as they turned their attention back to Gengar and Staraptor. The two were battling their hardest, but the two Deoxys, both in Defence Forme, were soaking up the attacks like sponges.
    “Alright you two, you need rest!” Magnus called out, unclipping his last three Pokeballs from his belt. As Staraptor and Gengar withdrew, to hover beside Flygon, and the Deoxys transformed into Attack Forme, ready to strike, Magnus threw the three Pokeballs in his hand, while Madeleine threw all four of her remaining ones.
    “Tangrowth! Magmortar! Electivire! Out you come, guys!”
    “Luxray! Tyranitar! Blaziken! Togekiss! All of you, let’s bring these aliens down!”
    The group of Pokemon appeared in a mighty flash of light. Those that could not fly landed on the roof of the nearest building and turned to face the Deoxys.
    “Ready to overwhelm these guys?” Madeleine said to Magnus.
    “Sure thing!” Magnus replied.
    “Luxray, Charge Beam! Tyranitar, Hyper Beam! Blaziken, Flamethrower! Togekiss, Aura Sphere!”
    “Tangrowth, Solarbeam! Magmortar, Fire Blast! Electivire, Thunderbolt! And Flygon, give us a Dragon Pulse to back it all up!”
    A flurry of attacks rocketed towards the two completely stunned Deoxys. Empoleon and Swampert provided backup from the ground, firing massive blasts of water up towards the aliens. The creatures were so surprised that they didn’t even bother to protect themselves. The attacks smashed into them, creating a massive explosion. From the smoke, two orange bodies descended, unconscious, to the ground, where they collapsed next to their brethren.
    “One obstacle down…goodness knows how many more to go,” Madeleine said, looking up at the Radio Tower sitting proudly on the skyline. “Should we fight our way up the tower…or just fly to the top and go straight to the bosses?”
    “Now that’s a tough one,” Magnus replied, as he recalled his Pokemon to their Pokeballs. Beside him, Madeleine did the same. “There will probably be quite a few people at the top of the tower, so Flygon would be in danger there, maybe we should just work our way up. We’ve both got strong Pokemon and…well…the Team Rocket Grunts that took over last time weren’t exactly strong, they got thwarted by one young trainer. If he can do it, we can.”
    “So let’s just…”
    “I see you!” The voice bellowed out at them, forcing them to clap their hands over their ears, wincing as their eardrums vibrated like bells. “You can’t hide, younglings! I see you there on your pathetic creature that tries to call itself a dragon. You haven’t got a chance of stopping us, you…”
    Apollo did not get a chance to respond, for Flygon had just taken in what was being said, heard itself being insulted, and was not too happy about it. Rearing up, it snarled furiously, raised its head, and before Magnus or Madeleine could calm it down, it released a massive Hyper Beam, aiming straight for the top of the radio tower. The attack collided with the building, and a massive explosion threw a gigantic cloud of smoke into the air. Glass rained down on the streets below, as Flygon raised its head again.
    “Flygon! No!”
    Too late. Another Hyper Beam ripped through the tower, sending plumes of debris into the air.
    “You missed!” Apollo responded, disdainfully. “You might want to try again before you hit any of us! Only real dragons can actually hit people with their Hyper Beams, and since you haven’t once hit us, you…”
    Flygon fired a third Hyper Beam and this time its aim was true. As Magnus and Madeleine looked on, they saw several bodies fly into the air, reach the peak of the ascent, then start to descend again. The four Executives, who had managed to avoid the blast, sent out a Gliscor, Metagross, Salamence and Charizard respectively, who scooped up the falling bodies and bore them away, out of sight.
    “Where are they taking them?” Magnus and Madeleine thought aloud.
    From the top of the tower, Apollo turned to face them. “If you want to stop us, you’ll have to follow us, we’re vacating this place for a bit!” he said. “We’ve got some work to do someplace else, before we return here once again! So, until next time!”
    Beside him, Athena sent out a Gardevoir. The Embrace Pokemon rose into the air, its gown rippling in the air, and glowed blue. The Rockets inside the tower glowed too, as Gardevoir bore them all out of the tower. There, they hovered for a second, before Gardevoir raised an arm, and as one, the group vanished in a flash of light.
    “What the…well, we need to find them!” Magnus cried. “We can’t let them get away with this!”
    “Well, from what I heard, the Rockets had a hideout in Mahogany Town last time they were here,” Madeleine replied. “I wonder if they’ve gone back there. Shall we go and see?”
    “Perhaps we’d better get some of our Pokemon to fix the tower first,” Magnus said. “Anyone that can use Psychic will do, so Gengar and Togekiss for you, and I’ll use Magmortar and Electivire.”
    “Right,” Madeleine responded, throwing two Pokeballs into the air. “OK you guys, use Psychic to repair the tower!”
    Magnus sent out Magmortar and Electivire and gave them the same command. Soon, glass was flying back into place, steel was fixing itself back into place, and eventually the tower looked as good as new.
    Flygon hung its head, which Magnus took as an apology and patted its head. “Don’t worry mate. You just reacted instinctively. And besides, you showed them that you really are a dragon, boy, were those attacks powerful!”
    “Fly!” Flygon responded, raising its head. Magnus could tell it was happy.
    “And Magnus,” Madeleine said, as the dragon bore them northwest towards Mahogany. “I think, to really prove that Flygon is a dragon, he should be the one to face Athena’s Salamence. I’ve heard there’s always competition between them.”
    “Sounds good to me,” Magnus replied.

In between the orbits of two valence electrons, significantly altering the chemistry of an atom.
    Blog Entries

This is really cool! If only all these aliens invading Earth movies actually turned out like this.

But God demonstrates his own love toward us, that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
    Romans 5:8

Lol, that would be awesome! Time to contact Hollywood.

Here's the next chapter! This is where the true plot of the story is revealed.

--------------------

ENTER THE DEOXYS - Part Three: The Hideout

Flashback
    Magnus strolled down the dark street on a chilly night, 6-year old Madeleine shivering beside him. “Magnus, I think we should go back. He’s getting cold…” In her arms was a bundle of blankets, a small head just visible within the folds. “We need to get him back home, mummy and daddy will be really angry with me if we don’t.”
    “Don’t worry Madeleine, he’ll be fine,” Magnus said, turning back round and continuing to stroll down the street. A dark alleyway flanked their right side. “What’s wrong with taking a stroll in the snow? Besides, he…”
    A scream pierced the night. Magnus spun round once again and screamed too. The bundle of blankets was ripped from Madeleine’s arms – she staggered backwards as the shadowy figure towered above her. Magnus lunged forwards to grab the blankets, but the figure drove a fist into his stomach and he collapsed, spluttering, completely winded. Magnus and Madeleine screamed for help, but no one was around to save them…

“Magnus…Magnus! Wake up! We’re here.”

--------------------

Mahogany Town – 11:45 AM
    Magnus and Madeleine dismounted Flygon. Magnus was shaking so much that he slipped on his descent and fell to the ground. He got to his feet and dusted himself down – Madeleine looked at him, concerned.
    “Are you OK?”
    “I…yeah, I’m fine,”
    An image of the shadowy figure swam before his eyes, followed by that of an Alakazam, its eyes glowing red, glowing rings bursting forth from its body. The screams echoed in his head once again, and he shook his head violently to clear the sounds.
    “Magnus, are you sure you’re alright?”
    “I’m fine, it’s just…ah, just been seeing things…in my head…that’s all.”
    “Seeing things? That’s not good!” cried Madeleine.
    “But, it’s not just anything, it’s as though…it’s as though we…lost something.”
    Magnus struggled to find the words. “There was a shadowy figure…and an Alakazam. Something happened to us, but…I can’t remember what.”
    Madeleine looked at him thoughtfully.
    “It sounds like you’re seeing memories that aren’t fully there, as though they had been forgotten and are just starting to come back. And you have no idea where it was, who this shadowy figure was…nothing?”
    “No,” Magnus said. “I have no idea.”

--------------------

Team Rocket Hideout – 11:45 AM
    Apollo, Athena, Lance and Lambda stood side by side on the platform. Before them, a sea of black caps showed the extent of their organisation, as hundreds of Rocket Grunts assembled before them.
    Athena nodded to Lance, and the Executive stepped forward.
    “My friends,” he said. “You have done well so far. The Deoxys are invading every single settlement in the Pokemon world as we speak, searching every nook and cranny. It should not be long until we find our leader. However, the Deoxys might not be enough. We might need some more aid. Therefore, this is what I propose. We shall awaken Arceus!”
    Gasps rose from the crowd before them, as Grunts turned to one another. “Did you hear what he just said?” “Arceus?!”
    “I assume you all know of the Pokemon god,” Lance continued. “Quite a potent force to have on our side. Basically, the plan is, we awaken this beastie, and if Giovanni is not found, we let Arceus loose upon the world. The rest you can work out yourselves. That is why we are gathered here. We must discover where Arceus is resting, awaken the beast, and get it under our control. We plan to use the radiation gun we used on the Deoxys, hopefully it will work. Then, Arceus is ours and the world will bow down to Team Rocket! Giovanni will return to us, and no one will stand in our way!”
    Cheers rose from the crowd, as Lance stepped back into line.

--------------------

Mahogany Town – 11:50 AM
    “So where is this hideout anyway?” Magnus enquired, as they walked side by side down Mahogany Town’s main street.
    “Well, apparently it’s beneath a convenience store,” Madeleine replied. “It’s run by an elderly woman, not sure how we’d get down there, though. Not sure if the Rockets would still get in through the shop, or if they have an entrance outside…assuming this is indeed where they are.”
    “Hey, look!” Magnus said suddenly, grabbing Madeleine’s arm and pointing. At the end of the road, two men were just disappearing round a corner. Both wore black caps, and underneath black capes, large red ‘R’s were just visible, emblazoned on the backs of their jackets.
    “Can’t believe we’re late, Apollo’s gonna kill us…”
    “Oh, stop fussing, let’s just get in the hideout shall we, people are starting to stare! Hope you’ve got your cloak fastened tight enough.”
    “Of course I have, now let’s go!”
    “Come on,” Magnus murmured. “They’ll lead us to our goal.”
    He and Madeleine jogged down to the corner and looked around.
    “There!”
    The two Grunts were just disappearing into a narrow side street, where a large skip were the only items of interest. The two siblings pursued the Grunts as quietly and carefully as they could. At the other end of the street, it met another, wider road. Opposite the opening to the narrow road they were on, a small two-storey building bore a large sign, ‘Convenience Store’.
    “This looks like it!” Madeleine said.
    “You’re right! Look!” Magnus replied, pointing.
    To the right of the store was a small alcove with several dustbins clustered next to a tall wooden fence. In front of these dustbins, they could just make out a manhole cover, to which the two Grunts were now skulking. The siblings watched as one of the Grunts lifted aside the cover. The other Grunt lowered himself into the hole and descended, out of sight. The other Grunt climbed into the pit, took a quick glance round the street – at which point, Magnus and Madeleine flattened themselves against the wall – then, as they cautiously peeked out at the street again, disappeared into the hole, closing the lid on top of him.
    “So, there you have it,” Magnus said. “Rather grotty way of getting in, but…let’s go.”

--------------------

Team Rocket Hideout – 12:05 PM
    Down the manhole ladder, then out into a dim corridor lit with flaming torches.
    “Which way should we go?” Madeleine asked.
    “No idea, but first, let’s get one of our Pokemon out each, just as protection. We’re in a very dangerous place and don’t want to be caught out in an emergency.”
    “Good plan,” Madeleine said. “Well, I know who I’m bringing out!”
    She threw one of her Pokeballs into the air, and Tyranitar appeared, drawing itself proudly up to its full height. Madeleine explained where they were, while Magnus threw a Pokeball and brought out Electivire. Once both Pokemon were aware of the situation, they decided to go left, purely because it was a shorter walk to the first of the many doors. The four of them wandered down the corridor, and at the first of the doors, they nodded to each other, and turned the handle. No luck, it was locked. Tyranitar snorted with disdain and swung a massive arm at the door, smashing it to pieces. Rather pleased with itself, Tyranitar strode proudly through the door, and the others followed, grinning.
    “Nice work there, mate!”
    “Go Tyranitar!”
    A smaller corridor lay before them. There was just one door, at the far end, with barred windows and graffiti all over it. This one was unlocked and swung open easily when Tyranitar pushed against it. They stepped into a large room lined with cells, and an unpleasant-looking machine in the middle – a dark grey box with a protruding rod, at the end of which was a large spiked ball. Magnus and Madeleine looked around the room in disgust, and turned to leave, but then Electivire stopped them, and pointed at one of the cells. On a grotty looking bed up against the far wall, a woman was curled up, fast asleep. Shining copper hair was splayed like a fan over her face, and her mouth was slightly open. The group approached the cell slowly, and peered through the bars. The woman seemed to sense they were there and woke up with a start, the hair fell back from her face, and Magnus and Madeleine stared at her. She stared back, equally surprised.
    “My…my dears…”
    Mum?!”