Character Sketches ~ A sneak peek.

Thread: Character Sketches ~ A sneak peek.

The Astute cynic

Default Character Sketches ~ A sneak peek.

Here's something on a guy I've been writing about. THe name's going to be kept silent for now. He's a fun character to write for.
    ~

"She looks at me in my face and whispers sweet words of yellowed hate.
    She looks at me in my face and whispers sweet words of yellowed hate?"

Exasperated the editor looked at me down through the broken-yet-taped-up pince-nez pair of glasses and condescends at me.
    "Wait, wait, wait. What is this, amateur hour at the university coffee house? I pay you good money to what? Hawk out this piece of gothic syrupy trash? "
    Hidden behind my own pair of thick frames, I try to get across that single important point, that as a freelancer I really don't have a salary. But does he listen? No! Of course He won't. He's got that whole 'high-paying -so important that the world stops for him- editor in chief of the almighty New Yorker' thing going for him. He threw the manuscript back at me. Grunting his last words he just gestures towards the door.

"Do it right and by deadline this time"

Sighing, I head back to the library under the weight of all my worldy words and their experiences.
    ~

Tell me what you think.
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very interesting. I like your style.

But what does he mean by 'hawk out'? I know you meant to convey a similar meaning like 'to throw up', but I don't think the word is 'hawk'.

The Astute cynic

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    Very interesting. I like your style.

But what does he mean by 'hawk out'? I know you meant to convey a similar meaning like 'to throw up', but I don't think the word is 'hawk'.
    I was playing with words. TO hawk as in to sell on the street corner. I was using it in a dirtied way. He's hawking his wares or selling his stories. IN an insulting tone almost.
    " Jesus Christ -The Lord and Saviour of the Christian faith. Also a big fan of FPS and Fighting Games. He enjoys shooting people in online games when they are talking, and "throwing up the horns" when he wins. Also known for his legendary skill in Mario Kart: Double Dash - for his ability to "bring those blue sparks" (qtd from Wikipedia).

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

It's interesting and descriptive, but might it be better if you used the term 'churn out' instead of 'hawk out'?

Gym Leader

Hey Tyger, I like it.

I agree with Barb tho, about using a different word than "hawk", perhaps not churn, cuz that doesn't read with, what I'm assuming, is the feel you want to the piece. Whatever you think works tho. I don't have a problem with hawk, maybe using just "hawk" instead of "hawk out"...

I like it. It sounds like a book or a movie. It's alot better than I can do on quizilla.
    The Almighty Fire Pokemon Trainer!!!