The Catalyst

Thread: The Catalyst

Registered User twilight guardian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Catalyst

Ok, this is my very first pokemon fanfic. I also read the first chapter at Anime Evolution, which Blackjack Palazzo witnessed. She then urged me to submit this here for everyone to enjoy. I hope that everyone - especially Team Rocket fans will enjoy. Thank you!

The Catalyst
    Chapter One: The Escape

“PIKACHU!” The desperate screams of a young trainer called, as he ran after the large cat-like balloon in which his Pokémon was trapped.

“Pika pi!” The Pikachu screamed, his tiny paws on the glass in which it was trapped inside, struggling to get a glimpse of his trainer. He could see both his human and Pokémon friends slowing down. One by one, they stopped, eventually falling to the ground in a deep sleep. Their food had been contaminated with some sort of sleeping drug; Pikachu didn’t exactly know all of the details. He hadn’t been affected as badly, as he hadn’t eaten a lot by the time that all of this had happened. But he could still feel the effects of the sleeping drug starting to take effect. He struggled to stay awake; calling desperately to his trainer’s sleeping form on the ground, though it was getting farther and farther away. He turned his head when he heard the laughs of his captors – two in their mid 20’s and a white cat-like Pokémon known as a Meowth.

“We did it! We finally caught Pikachu!” The female, with long red hair known as Jessie chirped.

“After years of hard work we finally beat those stupid Twerps!” The blue haired man named James cheered. Pikachu clenched his teeth, emitting a small growl in his throat as he watched Team Rocket celebrating. But he wouldn’t be able to watch them for long. His vision was already blurring, and his body felt heavy, while his head felt light, as though it would part from his body and float into the air like the balloon in which they rode. And by the time Pikachu had fallen unconscious, the Meowth balloon was already past the Sinnoh region and out to sea, preparing for a journey towards Kanto.

By the time Pikachu woke up, they were already over land once more. He guessed that they were over the Kanto region. That was it… Ash and the others really weren’t coming for him. The realization that Team Rocket finally succeeded finally sunk in. It would be difficult, if not impossible to be reunited with Ash now. All of those other times... were they really all just luck? Pikachu was taken from his thoughts when someone spoke.

“Jessie, I don’t like the look of those clouds!” James whimpered, as he looked at the large dark gray clouds looming over them. He was leaning out of the basket, one hand keeping himself steady, while the other on his forehead, peering out into the distance.

“Aw, quit bein’ such a wus!” Meowth said, jumping up and smacking the man over the head.

“Meowth’s right. We’re only a couple of hours away from HQ. We have nothing to worry about.” Jessie exclaimed, placing her hands on her hips. “We can’t just go down now after all this time we waited to catch Pikachu!”
    The rain soon came down, first as a few scattered drops, and quickly escalated into a downpour. Lightning and thunder pierced through the black skies, providing the only light for the three cold beings that were caught inside the storm. The four beings were rather nervous, looking at the skies as they navigated. Having spent a lot of time in storms, and even taking electrical hits by the Pokémon which they now held captive, Team Rocket knew that their precious balloon was a prime target for a lightning hit.

Team Rocket cringed with every flash of lightning that spread across the seemingly black skies and it came as no surprise to them when their luck eventually ran out. Lightning pierced through the balloon to make its way to the metal lining, thus igniting a fire from the lamp that they used to fly. Jessie grabbed Pikachu’s electric-proof prison before James, Meowth and herself jumped out of the balloon. It had been a split second decision, and anyone would have normally been caught in the blast as the flying transportation blew up. But each member had gained an instinct for sensing when danger was coming, and sometimes were able to react in time. Their bodies had even become sort of accustomed to hard falls, and that along with the trees below them would hopefully be enough. The flashes of green were the only things that any of them saw before their worlds went dark.

James groaned and opened his sea-green eyes and looked around. He slowly sat up, and immediately regretted it, finding the pain of moving almost unbearable. He winced as he lifted his shirt to survey the damage that was inflicted on his body. There were large bruises all over his chest, most in the shape of the branches that he fell on during his fall. He looked up and saw that there was a clear path from where he fell, the destruction of the branches a clear sign.

His gaze turned to look for his companions, and saw all of them scattered within at least a few dozen metres of each other, and still unconscious. A glimpse of yellow caught his eye, and his body instinctively stiffened. But the rodent Pokémon was unconscious like Jessie and Meowth, and just as badly injured, of not more. Glass fragments were scattered all around him, and some pieces were lodged in his body. James frowned and scuttled towards the Pokémon as best that he could. He scooped him up in his arms and held him close to his body.

Chestnut eyes opened, and saw a large blurry figure just above him. “Pika pi?” Pikachu asked, hopeful of the response. But the blurriness faded, and the image of Ash that Pikachu had so desperately wished for vanished, and was replaced with the Team Rocket member James.

“Sorry if I’m not who you think I am.” James said, quietly. His hand then dug in his pockets and pulled out a small kit of some kind. With one hand, he opened the small, flat pouch and pulled out a pair of tweezers. Pikachu stiffened and went on the defence. His cheeks sparked as he glared at the Rocket member, who became alert to the Pokémon’s motives as well.

“Pika….chaaa….” The pain from his wounds was too great for him to perform any electrical attack. James placed his hands on the Pokémon’s head to calm him down.

“We have to pull out the glass.” He told Pikachu softly. Then he shook his head, not wanting Pikachu to think he was soft. “We can’t have you all battered when we present you to the boss!” He carefully positioned his tweezers against the Pokémon’s body and felt around for any sign of resistance. Naturally the glass would be stained with his blood and would be difficult to see. When he felt something shift through the tweezers and Pikachu’s flinch, James immediately locked the tweezers on the resistance and began to pull. It was stuck, somewhat, and he had to move it around a little to dislodge it. James could tell that this caused discomfort and pain to the little Pokémon in his arms, but he knew that it was a necessary evil. The wounds would be infected otherwise.

When all of the pieces were taken out and set on the grass, Pikachu looked up at James with surprise. He had seen rare and spar attic acts of kindness on some level or another, but it was always a rare site. He looked down at the Pokémon, but quickly looked up as he saw movement from Meowth. The cat Pokémon smirked as he saw Pikachu.

“Well, Pikachu, buddy ol’ pal. Ya’ stuck wit’ us!” Meowth said in a very smug voice. Pikachu’s cheeks sparked in anger. But he knew that Meowth was right. If he didn’t stick with Team Rocket until an opportune moment, then he would never be able to get back to Ash. He didn’t even know where he was – how far away from a town, and what town in particular. Seeming satisfied that Pikachu was cooperating, Meowth moved over to the still unconscious Jessie. “Wake up!” He yelled, scratching her face.

Jessie yelled in surprise and pain. “WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR MEOWTH?!” She cried, taking out her pocket mirror to inspect the damage done on her face.

“Jessie… how are you feeling?” James asked, worriedly. “Nothing’s broken?” Jessie raised her sapphire blue eyes to look at her companion, then down at her body. She had large bruises, and scrapes all over. Dried blood was over some of the more severe cuts, as well. She hadn’t even paid attention to how her body had felt, as she had been so preoccupied with the pain on her face.

“Sore…” Jessie murmured, groaning as she stood up. “Where are we?” James shrugged.

“Some forest in Kanto.” He said. “We should look around to see where we are exactly, and then walk in the direction of HQ.” Meowth and Jessie nodded, and began to walk towards James, who in turn moved in the direction they were going.

Pikachu stayed in James’ arms. Clearly if he was going to be stuck with Team Rocket of all people, he already chose a preference in James. He already knew that he and Meowth weren’t compatible to be near each other – evidence shown in any time when one of the schemes that the trio brought up that involved them being stuck together. As for Jessie, she had quite a temper. It seemed most women did, such as Misty, or when Dawn and May had something to be angry about. Yet this woman was different, more hostile than any of his human female friends. James however, was more docile and had a softer, easier temperament.

They walked for what seemed like hours. The sun had already set, and it was becoming darker by the minute. But in the distance, a lamp light could be seen shining brightly through the dark of the forest. Taking it as a sign of people, Jessie, James and Meowth ran towards it. There was a clearing, and inside the clearing were two buildings. One was a small, cozy little cabin, possibly a two story. The other was a large warehouse-like barn.

James took the lamp light and shown the light high above his head. Now they could see the peculiar look of the barn. It resembled a Strip Mall in appearance, as there were many doors along the length of the peculiar barn. The rooms seemed to be separated both by different colour and by different types of wood. It was unusual, as normally a building would be made with one type of wood or brick.

“Let’s take a look inside this pink one.” Jessie murmured, as she opened the door to the pink section of the barn. They peeked inside, and then slowly walked in when they saw that nothing would come out at them. They couldn’t help but gasp at the sight before them.

Inside were rows upon rows of nest-like beds, each of them filled with the sleeping creatures that they were built specifically for. Meowth’s paws moved to his face and a gleeful expression could be seen. “They’re Pokémon!”

“We hit the jackpot!” Jessie chirped, happily. “If we take all of these Pokémon to the Boss, we’ll never have to worry about anything ever again! We’ll finally be his number one trio!”

“Yes!” James said, gleefully. “Let’s bag as many of them up as we can right now!” He apparently didn’t notice that Pikachu was missing from his shoulder, nor that a bucket had somehow gotten in his path. He kicked the metal bucket, sending it bashing into a box of supplies, loudly crashing and waking up the Pokémon that were sleeping. Team Rocket flinched, unsure of what was going to happen to them. The Pokémon though, didn’t move. There was something unusual about these Pokémon. They were rather round, and seemed to not have any energy.

“Ho ho!” Jessie laughed. “They must realize that it is futile to battle against the likes of Team Rocket! They’re just waiting for us to grab them!” As soon as she said this, a figure appeared behind them.

“Gar!” The three turned around to see a Gardevoir standing in the door frame. The Gardevoir in question, however, was rather strange. Instead of the normal green, the Pokémon had a bluish colouration to it. Jessie, James and Meowth exchanged glances before smirks settled onto their faces.

“It’s a Gardevoir!” Meowth said, happily. “And a rare one!”

“Grab it ‘n bag it James!” Jessie said, as she pushed James towards the embrace Pokémon. He smirked, raising his hands up to get ready to attack. Pikachu growled and his cheeks sparked. He really didn’t want to shock James after being so kind to him, but in order to protect the Gardevoir, he would have to. He didn’t get the chance, though, as a figure ran past Gardevoir and towards Team Rocket.

“LEAVE THE MOTHERS ALONE!” A female voice cried. It was a girl no older than the Twerps that they had been following – 15-years-old. She had silver blonde hair, and pale skin. She was rather small and fragile-looking for her age. In her hands was a large broom, which she swung at them with. She ran towards the three thieves, but tripped over the bucket that James had previously had trouble with. She dropped the broom as she hit the ground.

James shown the light on the girl, who was feeling around for her stick. What he saw caused him to almost drop the lamp in shock and guilt. “You’re… blind?”
    Last edited by twilight guardian; 16th June 2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Paragraphed

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Catalyst

Yay you're here!

Anyway, I gotta say that I love this. But seeing it in print, I feel I need to offer some suggestions. You put scenes all together in one block, and it's really best to space them out with spaces between paragraphs rather than just hitting enter once. Because the way you have it, it's really hard to read, and that's a shame because it's a good fic.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

decently written, i agree. but please space your paragraphs.

Registered User twilight guardian's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Palazzo View Post
    Yay you're here!

Anyway, I gotta say that I love this. But seeing it in print, I feel I need to offer some suggestions. You put scenes all together in one block, and it's really best to space them out with spaces between paragraphs rather than just hitting enter once. Because the way you have it, it's really hard to read, and that's a shame because it's a good fic.
    That's not how it looks on my Microsoft Word and ff.net D:

I posted it really late at night so I didn't see now it turned up. But they took my paragraphing away. I'll fix it.