Autumn Awards 2013: Nomination Begins!

Thread: Autumn Awards 2013: Nomination Begins!

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Autumn Awards 2013: Nomination Begins!

Hello Workshop, and welcome to yet another Awards Season!

With the Emmy’s wrapping up the other week and everyone turning their attention to the movies, it is only fair that we slip our own prestigious ceremony into the mix (though no word yet on whether Walter White will triumph over Carrie Mathison for Best Protagonist…)

The first part is once again the self nominations of your own work. You have until Monday 7th 8.30 AM NZ Time (which is a Sunday night for most people, so don’t panic) to Private Message me with your self nominations. After some requests last time, and due to the possibility of some users being away, people that do not have any stories can nominate a single story in order to join in the fun, but I am going to restrict it to that for the time being so that people don’t just nominate all the stories/characters they will eventually vote for.

And here are the categories you will be nominating:
    -Best Journey Fic (for stories that follow a gym or contest storyline or something of a similar theme)
    -Best Dark Fic (for stories that have dark themes/a dark storyline at the core of the story)
    -Best Crossover/Non Pokemon Fic (for stories that cross over Pokemon with another franchise or a story that is either for a different fandom or is completely original)
    -Best Expansion (for stories that expand on canon characters and concepts)
    -Best Alternate (for all stories that don’t go anywhere else)
    -Best Protagonist (the lead of your story)
    -Best Antagonist (the villain of your story)
    -Best Supporting Character (any other character in your story)
    -Best Pokemon Character (for Pokemon characters that have been written exceptionally well. Pokemon that speak human are allowed here, but at the moment that is the only thing we are allowing.

The rules:
    -You may have two nominations per category, but there is a limit of four nominations for the story categories and seven nominations for the character categories.
    -A link to each story must be provided just for ease of checking your work. Your entry will be void if you do not submit a link.
    -Do not nominate any one else’s work if your submission unless you have no stories of your own. You may encourage people to nominate themselves but do not nominate them yourself.
    -Fics that have been updated since June 8th NZ Time are eligible for these Awards. Work updated during this nomination week will be counted but any chapters posted after October 7th will not be counted in this round.
    -Do not try and slip your stories/characters into other categories in order to get them in (ie if you have three Journey fics and you try to get one of them nominated under Alternate). If we catch you out the story will be made void and it may hamper for your Awards chances.

Hopefully everything is clear, but feel free to post here/message me if you have any further questions. I hope to see a lot of nominations this time, especially with regards to our new category, and this should be a lot of fun as always :D So start the nominations!

Also, we have lost a few judges this time so if anyone out there would like to judge please let me know urgently so we can build up a great team. I have exams during the judging time so cannot spread myself out as much, so if you would be interested in helping than please come forwards!

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Autumn Awards 2013: Nomination Begins!

A quick question, is it still required to tell which chapters the judges should first and foremost read in order to judge our fics just like last time?
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tophat Dragoneye View Post
    A quick question, is it still required to tell which chapters the judges should first and foremost read in order to judge our fics just like last time?
    That is an optional thing and is done after your story has moved onto the next round. It would be too confusing to keep track of everyone's chapters before they are needed

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

When/if we do need to submit chapters, should we submit the same number as last time?
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    When/if we do need to submit chapters, should we submit the same number as last time?
    I hope not. I found 4 chapters to be bothersome, as some stories had shorter chapters, and others had longer ones. Maybe a suggested word count with some allowance would do better. For example, AceTrainer14 gives a word count of 15,000-20,000 words, and we suggest chapters that fill that count to the best of our abilities.

And if each chapter is about 5,000 words, then that's 4 chapters anyway. It's not the length that I'm worried about, but for each story to get a fighting chance in the awards.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

We will take this into consideration and I will discuss with the moderators. However, we also want people to submit their best chapters possible, and it may be difficult if their best chapter was over the word limit and does not give them a fighting chance. Judges still need to read other chapters as well regardless of however chapters are submitted.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I wish I could participate in this, but I haven't updated any of my stories since before June, and I've just got so much real life crap happening. I just don't have the motivation to update anything right now.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    I wish I could participate in this, but I haven't updated any of my stories since before June, and I've just got so much real life crap happening. I just don't have the motivation to update anything right now.
    It's okay to take a break every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with missing an awards season, but having a deadline is great if you really want to get something out. With next Monday looming over me I've done more writing in the last two days than I have in months.

Just a thought. You don't have to submit if you don't feel up to it.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    It's okay to take a break every once in a while. There's nothing wrong with missing an awards season, but having a deadline is great if you really want to get something out. With next Monday looming over me I've done more writing in the last two days than I have in months.

Just a thought. You don't have to submit if you don't feel up to it.
    Yeah, but I don't know considering what I've been going through. I've started getting aches and pains too, which can be a sign of depression. I certainly feel depressed right now...

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Make sure you all keep those nominations rolling in! We have not had that many so far yet I can see a number of potential nominations right there on the front page! You will never know how far your story will go unless you give this a try, so I urge you all to send your nominations in! There are currently no Best Non Pokemon/Crossover Nominations to my knowledge, so that category is wide open!

Also, I still need a few more judges, so if you would like to give this a go then please get in contact with me, we really need the help!

Blog Entries

Once again, Acetrainer14 has requested that I independently verify his submissions. I have done so. Hopefully there will be no shilly shallying (word of the day again!) in regards to the validity of his submissions.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Thank you very much for doing that Caitlin :)

Less than twenty four hours to get your submissions in! There are quite a few people that have read this thread that have not submitted entries despite the fact they have stories that could very well be entered in the Awards! If you have a story that could be entered, it is worth trying out the Awards and seeing how well your story could do. I noticed a few one shots that could be entered in here and could only stand a chance in these Awards, and there are plenty of other stories out there that stand a chance! If you have a story out there, make sure you nominate it and its characters! Best Alternate and Best Non Pokemon are currently WIDE open, so if you have a story that matches that then get them in, but we will accept any type of story as well :D

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Nominations have now closed unless you have a Non Pokemon story to submit, in which case you may still submit. Due to the lack of entries in this category I will discuss with the mods about what to do in this situation.