Alone, Together. (Buson's POV)

Thread: Alone, Together. (Buson's POV)

Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

Default Alone, Together. (Buson's POV)

Hey, if it was up to me, I'd be all with the ropin'n'gropin'. But, it wouldn't have turned up here otherwise. Meh.

Title: Alone, Together
    Rated: PG
    Genre: genfic
    Characters: Buson, Bashou, Sakaki
    Notes: for Blackjack, for no other reason than being the deciding vote in a face/off, that in the end made me Happy. With a capital H. Having no actual contact with the characters, and not writing too much to begin with, hopefully I did them justice. Or at least didn't mangle them too badly.

--------

I've always worked alone. Partners tended to bog me down, get in the way, and screw up my center of focus. The very last partner I had was so incompetent, I dislocated his arm after a nearly-botched mission, barely scrapping out with a victory made possible by my own ingenuity. From then on, I was 'considered a better lone agent than a potential partner'. It went on like that for almost a year.

I didn't want things to change. I never expected them to either.

I liked Sakaki. He was a strong man, a competent boss, a commander I'd follow Death for. His might was so powerful, I felt a kinship with him that I felt for my own pokémon's overwhelming strength. The unbreakable father I always wanted, despite him being barely older than I was. So the day I was summoned to his office out of the blue, the feeling of being honored had long dwindled, but it always humbled me to step through that door.

"Buson."

His office was never properly lit, light filtering minutely through the blinds, but finding him in the shadows of his chair was child's play. On the same note, it took a second to realize Sakaki wasn't alone in the room. Someone else was standing by the desk, on the shadier side, and they were too tall for Domino. I ignored them for the time. "Sir."

"You're being transfered to Jouto." Sakaki tapped on the manila envelope in front of him expectantly. "You'll be leaving in two days."

"Sir." The envelope was pushed my way, and I took it, noticing its weight. Heavy. Leaving in two days on a mission that would probably last half a year. No skin off my back about it.

The third party shifted in the corner of my eye, and this time, I had to make a show of gazing up at them and staring. Because some people just felt rude, and this person fit my bill.

Sakaki was not finished speaking though, and seemed to use a tone indicating that something he'd wanted to say had slipped his mind before. "Also, Buson. You're not going alone. Meet your new partner. Bashou."

In the past, every time I heard that phrase, it just made me snarl. I'd been so sure about being a solo agent, the thought of Sakaki trying to once again pair me up rocked me, almost pulling the floor out from under my feet. Not pleasant, not pleasant at all. A more subtle shifting, and I could just make out.... No. "Sir!" Don't not show anger, do not show insult, do not project anything but indignation. "You know I don't work well with others. Why are you trying to partner me now, after so long? With a woman no less!"

Sakaki's eyebrows flew upward; I'd never seen that expression before, and it sent butterflies into my gut. Because then, Bashou snorted, and stepped toward me, getting inches from my face, and not amused like Sakaki appeared to be, and said, "If I had my way," in a voice not feminine at all, "I'd make you eat those words at a formal dinner, meticulously chewing them up and drawing out their rotten flavor for as long as possible."

I didn't answer -- couldn't answer, really. My voice was caught, my guard blown down. No one's gender ever escaped me. I even pegged that fruit Kojirou as a guy, and he's as girly-looking as they come. But that wasn't the issue. Sakaki just gave me an /androgynous partner/, and already, I foresaw loads of misery, starting with a case of mistaken identity. And it was made so much worse when Sakaki mentioned one, final detail.

"Make this work, Buson. Or you'll be back at the grunt status."

There was no room for argument with that particular threat. So with Sakaki unapproachable, and a glaring 'new best friend' making everything more difficult just by existing, I nodded numbly, addressed him, and left.

Bashou was shadow one second, and my conjoined twin the next, right outside the office. He was no one's lesser, as I learned right then. He was born to remind me I was no longer on my own.

That day was years ago. I can't forget it; he won't let me. Bashou will bring it up every so often, how I was blind or dumb enough to think he was a woman, and embarrassing myself in front of the Boss like that. But all I do is promise to break his face if he doesn't shut up. And Bashou smiles coyly and doesn't say another word, despite knowing my threats toward him are all empty.

I like working alone. Always have, always will. And with Bashou, as I learned, I was alone. I didn't need to trust him with anything, because he was capable of handling things himself. I needn't worry, or care at all about his welfare. He was entirely able to take care of himself, my mirror. We didn't touch, we didn't glance, we fought alongside each other in completely different realities. He didn't exist, just a phantom of my imagination that I never gave a second thought, until he was recalling his pokémon and I mine, covered in muck and blood. I'd catch his eye, or he'd tap my shoulder once, and only exchange secret smiles.

We're the worst of all the Silver teams, because of this perfect equilibrium we found that came as natural as breathing. Because we work alone, together.
    Last edited by Luna Tiger; 15th April 2005 at 10:00 PM.
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

A black and white world Blackjack Gabbiani's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is so freakin' awesome. That's, like, six kinds of awesome right there.

But one thing bugs me about it. He mentions Sakaki being barely older than himself...but I don't know. Looking at Buson, he looks like he can't be older than thirty, and is probably younger. Sakaki has always looked mid-40s to me (anime Sakaki, that is. Game version seems younger)

Blog Entries

Uhhhh......I plead insanity?

My belief that Gio fathered Gary makes me constantly believe he's in his 30's. Mid or late, but something that corresponds to Oak's age of 50. That's mah excuse, and I'm stickin' to it. Yep.

:3 Very happy you liked it.

Blog Entries

Heehee.

Damn, things would have been so much easier if they'd make Oak just a little bit older. As it stands, I can't fit any possible older sister of Gary's in there at all unless both Oak *and* Oak's kid got a super-early start. But that's for another topic.

And damn right I liked it. Although I'm wondering if the dubbing of the special will increase the fanwork we get about those two...because it's really hard to find Japanese fanwork of them, so...

Karin is my baby daddy. TwilightEspeon's Avatar

Heh. I really liked this. ^^; Buson and Bashou are such neat characters, and I just *knew* he was going to blurt out something about Bashou's feminine looks. I think you did a good job writing from Buson...I can just hear his voice speaking those words :3

A child's rhyme stuck in my head.
    It said that life is but a dream.
    I've spent so many years in question
    to find I've known this all along.

---
    Gah. These forums intimidate me XD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    And damn right I liked it. Although I'm wondering if the dubbing of the special will increase the fanwork we get about those two...because it's really hard to find Japanese fanwork of them, so...
    Or they'll become part of the clichéd villains' role as bad people and constantly be used as 'evil' fodder, complete with botched character personalities. But that's fanfics only and we can't think negatively about such things. *halo*

Quote Originally Posted by TwilightEspeon
    Heh. I really liked this. ^^; Buson and Bashou are such neat characters, and I just *knew* he was going to blurt out something about Bashou's feminine looks. I think you did a good job writing from Buson...I can just hear his voice speaking those words :3
    Yay! XD It's predictable but enjoyable! Score in the praise. *lol* Danke danke, m'just as happy someone else liked it too.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani
    That is so freakin' awesome. That's, like, six kinds of awesome right there.

But one thing bugs me about it. He mentions Sakaki being barely older than himself...but I don't know. Looking at Buson, he looks like he can't be older than thirty, and is probably younger. Sakaki has always looked mid-40s to me (anime Sakaki, that is. Game version seems younger)
    Blackjack, your obsession with the age of anime characters is amazing . I mean, let'S stop a second and remember that this is the same anime that has tried to peg May and Misty as ten years old, and that the official site once claimed Jessie was 12. So I don't think how the characters look in the anime (or game for that matter, May's RSE sprites are hardly that much better) very much make a case .

That, plus merely SIX kinds of awesome? SIXTY kinds of awesome, more like. Brilliant piece of character development ; I like the way it goes straight into the deepest thoughts of Buson about the whole issue. (Wait, aren't we supposed to say Attila and Hun now? )).

Great piece, all things considered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

XD This is an awesome fic!!! I envy your skills as a writer. This is one of the greatest fanfics I've ever read...you totally pegged Buson's character as well as Bashou's. ^^

Blog Entries

Oh yes. Should we expect more from you about them once you actually *see* the special?

Blog Entries

*blushing* Mmm, maybe? I do like the silver rockets best, so, we'll see. :3

Jeez, I didn't even think I did all that great. Apparently you people see something I don't. *squint* But sankyuu~ :D Much obliged.

Blog Entries

Well, you said you hadn't seen the special. We probably have (well, I know *I* have...), so...yes. We've seen something you haven't.

Java Girl Barb's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

Haven't seen the special either, but I liked your characterizations here. Very nice work.