A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread - Page 7

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Registered User ChaoticMemories's Avatar

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

When I got Yellow, (I was around 4?) I wondered why my electric attacks wouldn't work on Brock's pokémon.. Until my best friend told me that electric moves have no effect on rock types.. a month later, ;D.

I spent 5 weeks figuring out how to get through victory road in ruby.

I googled: 'How to evolve Chikorita'. :3

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Back in the days of Red version, it took me like 3 weeks to manage my way out of Rock Tunnel. I still hate that place up to this day.

And I was dumb enough to not relate the "I'm thirsty" line by the gatekeepers in Saffron with the beverage machines in Celadon Dept. Store. I spent months overleveling my Charizard (it was my only Pokémon, so I think I got it up to its 90's) until I read it on a magazine that you had to give any guard one drink from Celadon and that was enough to make all of them let you pass. It was so obvious and I seay I still don't get why I never thought of that. Yeah I was stupid but nowadays it's just so funny to recall it.

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Quote Originally Posted by ChaoticMemories View Post
    When I got Yellow, (I was around 4?) I wondered why my electric attacks wouldn't work on Brock's pokémon.. Until my best friend told me that electric moves have no effect on rock types.. a month later, ;D.
    I hate to be a nitpicker, but electric moves have no effect on Ground types. They're normal against Rock, but Brock's Pokemon are half Ground, which explains the confusion.

Pokedex progress: 319/493 caught

Small Observations, Big Designs
    - my blog about game designing

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veggietable View Post
    And I was dumb enough to not relate the "I'm thirsty" line by the gatekeepers in Saffron with the beverage machines in Celadon Dept. Store. I spent months overleveling my Charizard (it was my only Pokémon, so I think I got it up to its 90's) until I read it on a magazine that you had to give any guard one drink from Celadon and that was enough to make all of them let you pass. It was so obvious and I seay I still don't get why I never thought of that. Yeah I was stupid but nowadays it's just so funny to recall it.
    I believe everyone had that problem. Or at least everyone I know.

Except I never did level up my Charizard...

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Veggietable View Post
    lol I recall having that same problem
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

A secret base just outside of Lilycove....or Maryland
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maze View Post
    Diamond: My first pokemon game. When I finally beat Lucian from the Elite Four, I was so happy, cause all my pokemon fainted already and I didn't have any potions anymore. And then Lucian told me there's a Champion too..
    I know that feeling from Ruby. I was such an idiot. I trained a Blaziken to such a high level. I didn't buy healing items, and I made it to Drake. Then died. I didn't think there was something else, because they called it the Elite Four.

Quote Originally Posted by TopazPikachu View Post
    In my Pearl game it took me a week to figure out that you can't ride your bike over the mud. I was stuck in route 212 until I read a sign right NEXT to me that said: Trainer Tips
    If you get stuck in the bog, you can
    count on being there for a while.
    There's no need to panic.
    Just struggle and squirm for a bit.
    Bicycles cannot be ridden on marshy
    ground, incidentally..

I was VERY annoyed and felt like an idiot. -_-
    Oh my, yes, I remember freaking in Pearl when I couldn't ride my bike in the Great Marsh. I was online with my friend all "I CAN'T NAVIGATE IT D:"

He insisted "I'm sure it's just a very simple problem to overcome. >.>"

Well he was right, just needed to not have out the bicycle.

Blog Entries

Yeah, I learned long ago to just run. Bring out the bike when you really need it. I could never control the mach bike and didn't learn till recently how to use the bridges with the acro bike.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

is confusing your Pokémon Zangoose Vamoose's Avatar

I only today relaised that Pokemon isn't a first party Nintendo franchise akin to Zelda and Mario.

National Dex - 444/493

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
    I know that feeling from Ruby. I was such an idiot. I trained a Blaziken to such a high level. I didn't buy healing items, and I made it to Drake. Then died. I didn't think there was something else, because they called it the Elite Four.
    Yep, I went through it in my old Red version too. I was celebrating my victory then Lance says: "no you're not the Champion -someone beat me first. His name is....". But then it was a nice surprise when I found that the Champion was your rival. Epic-est champion ever!

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

While me and a friend were playing threw red (we shared) it took us a month or more to get past the snorlax. We kept having the idea we needed strengh to move it but couldn't get strengh. We even tried digging under in, lmao.

Blog Entries

I played Red, Blue, Yellow, and up until FireRed it took me that fucking long to know that in your PC box is a free Potion. Oh yes..I'm that lame ._.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by .insomniac. View Post
    I played Red, Blue, Yellow, and up until FireRed it took me that fucking long to know that in your PC box is a free Potion. Oh yes..I'm that lame ._.
    Been that route too. I was pleasantly surprised.

Blog Entries

When I was playing pokemon crystal with the sound off. I was watching tv and didn't notice a Heracross had appeared from the tree I had headbutted. I look down and I'd NEVER seen a Heracross before...

I masterballed it.

DX

I was seven.

What made it worse is that Masterball wouldve caught Suicune which my noobish seven year old self KO'ed DX
    If I were to die this very moment,
    I wouldn't fear
    For I've never know completeness,
    Like being here

Blog Entries

To be honest, I never had much of a problem with the puzzles in Pokémon games. Of course, I got into the games when I was 12 years old, so maybe that's the reason. However, my Movesets in Blue did suck. And badly.

No thanks to the lack of information in terms of Base Power and attack effects, I thought that TMs were useless, and that the moves few Pokémon could learn were much more powerful. That led to hilarity like Pin Missile on my Jolteon, or Constrict on my Tentacruel. I also was prone to teach all Pokémon Moves of the same Type, besides Blastoise, who always ended up with a half-decent Moveset once I figured out more about the Moves. I think some of the funniest were the Legendary Birds. I always taught them Ice Beam/Thunderbolt/Flamethrower, Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Spin (Yeah, not Fire Blast. ), Fly and Sky Attack. To all of them.

As I said above, I thought TMs were useless, and I always sold all TMs I obtained. It didn't help that the first TM you get was Bide, which was an awful Move. Still is to an extent, but priority on use and unleashing makes it much better than back then. XD It wasn't until 2nd Gen that I could make half-decent Movesets for Pokémon.

In the same vein, I never rotated my Team in Blue. I always trained Blastoise, my Starter of choice. It wasn't until Whitney defeated me in Gold that I started to train whole Teams in-game.

Not much else. All puzzles and mazes are still pretty easy. Lt. Surge's puzzle did stump me a couple times, especially since I could solve it in the first try when I first got there, but that didn't happen the next times. And I didn't know english too well back then, so I was all WTF about why I couldn't get the door to open now. The Switch Puzzle in the Goldenrod Underground was also rather annoying every time. And more recently, I hated Candice's Gym puzzle. It always takes me a while to figure it out, and I tend to slide down randomly until everything falls into place. What's worse, you always have to do it if you go back in. It's good I don't like Candice as much as I like Whitney, or I'd be cursing every time I wanted to speak with her, even knowing what does she say already. =P

Oh yeah, speaking of the Master Ball, I used it on a Seel the first time, unaware that it'd catch any Pokémon without fail. XD
    lol I got bored.

Page 7 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast