A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

^ I never knew that. That's brilliant, it will save so much time
    Mathematics is made of 50% formulas, 50% proofs and 50% imagination

There are 2 ways to do great mathematics. The 1st is to be smarter than everybody else. The 2nd way is to be stupider than everybody else - but persistent - Raoul Bott

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ungulateman View Post
    Only just found out in Platinum you can move multiple Pokemon at once by pressing Y than A + drag. -_-
    You can do that???

It took me the longest time to figure out that the slot machines actually played games, instead of there just being the coin exchange.
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Minto View Post
    Posting in the first Pokémon game thread made me think back when my Yellow version was brand-spanking-new and I was a newbie to the franchise. I was so stupid back then!

In the first place, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house. It wasn't like they made it obvious or anything, but my eight-year-old self felt like an idiot when I finally figured it out (after ten minutes).

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.

Anyway, share your own dumb experiences so we can all have a laugh. I can't be the only one this happened to!

Did picachu have ne non electric moves? I bet brock pissed you off if you had a lv.81 pika with only electric moves

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax255 View Post
    Did picachu have ne non electric moves? I bet brock pissed you off if you had a lv.81 pika with only electric moves
    slam

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well here are some things I remember.

When I first started to play the 3rd gen games, Sapphire was my first one, and I never read any game manuals or nothing. So when I obtained Dive it took me like 10 minutes to figure out I can only dive where the water is dark blue.

In Platinum I was so confused when I got stuck in the "swamp" thing and when I was pressing the arrow to keep moving my character just stood there. So I thought my game somehow froze and restarted it, later to find out how to actually navigate around that.

Umm I don't remember which game but I think it's FireRed where Lance is the champ, he sent out his dragons and I had no clue at the time that ice and dragons kill dragons so I once I found that out I was so happy and when I got into competitive battling I got killed ;_;
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

the ultimate fire primate flaming infernape's Avatar
    Spear Pillar, taking over the Torn world and making Sinnoh colder by the minute
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver: I went around all excited cause this was my first pokemon game (absolutely freaking out when I found a Jigglypuff, thinking I was going to find Squirtle in the water). I had fun until I got the first badge and couldn't move on until I got the Togepi egg, which I couldn't because I had a full team. So I restarted and caught only five pokemon so I could get the egg. Sometime after that did I find out about the storage system. I still have bitter feelings toward that guy that "reminds" you about that egg.

Yellow: I also had problems with Brock and overtrained that Pikachu to around lv 20-30. I probably would have trained more, but I think I learned about Mankey and low kick.

You sir, have just been sweeped.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Diamond: My first pokemon game. When I finally beat Lucian from the Elite Four, I was so happy, cause all my pokemon fainted already and I didn't have any potions anymore. And then Lucian told me there's a Champion too..

Post Thanks / Like

In my Pearl game it took me a week to figure out that you can't ride your bike over the mud. I was stuck in route 212 until I read a sign right NEXT to me that said: Trainer Tips
    If you get stuck in the bog, you can
    count on being there for a while.
    There's no need to panic.
    Just struggle and squirm for a bit.
    Bicycles cannot be ridden on marshy
    ground, incidentally..

I was VERY annoyed and felt like an idiot. -_-
    No.1 Self-declared fangirl of all things Sato-Hika! x3
    Still does not understand why everyone hates Piplup..

...and Never-Turn-Back. Giratina!'s Avatar
    somewhere on the other side of the multiple universes, on a track running parallel to your Earth...
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Let me think...

When I first played Emerald and got Dive, I was all ecstatic about it and taught it to mah Gyarados immediately. I then hopped into the water, and found much to my surprise that poor Dragongate couldn't dive there (yes, I still remember the name of my Gyarados). So I'm sitting there, blinking at the screen, and then give up on Diving and decide to go to Sootopolis instead... Which was a giant Mewin' rock. I then found out how to Dive properly and spent the next ten minutes facepalming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I got completely lost in Mt.Coronet in my Pearl version on the way to Spear Pillar. I had no trouble in Diamond. =\

Way back when I was 3, my brother used to give me his gameboy with his pokemon red and the strict instructions never to go into the grass. So my 3 yr old self happily poodled around with my brothers lv 79 Charizard and level 81 Pidgeot when I accidently went into the grass and got into a battle. It was a rattata, and I panicked, being unable to read, clicked the A button like mad. Charizard used fire blast, obviously KOed the Ratatta, and I was convinced I was awesome at the game XD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Clefable View Post
    I got completely lost in Mt.Coronet in my Pearl version on the way to Spear Pillar. I had no trouble in Diamond. =\
    I did exactly the same thing in Platinum.
    I was liek, where the heck do I go?

I finally figured out I needed Rock Climb after alot of searching.
    Diryn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I kept using the wrong Coronet entrances in Pearl lol!

(Also in Paper Mario 2 I forgot to see Vivian in Twilight Town after Doopliss stole Mario's body and name)

Post Thanks / Like

OMG I only just found out that Butterfree is Bug/Flying and not Bug/Psychic.
    I am incredibly slow.
    Diryn.

追放されたバカ
    Where both beef and dreams are super-sized
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to think that VS seekers were for Link battles.

Because, they would never work in the main game for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Red face Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

*Back when I first played Red (aah, memories) I played, in one sitting, straight to the SS Anne. I had chosen Bulbasaur as my starter, and he was the only thing I put any effort into leveling--hence how I made it so fast.

When I did reach SS Anne, Gary (censored) Oak, whose starter is now evolved and, of course, a fire type, absolutely demolishes me so badly I had to start over. This time I make it to Silph Co before he destroys me.

*"Hey, this MissingNo. thing sounds interesting. I wonder what it looks like."
    This...did not end well. At all.

*In the Battle Pyramid in Emerald, I got the Sacred Ash. I intended to save this as a backup weapon to heal during a tough battle--in fact I think I was in a Brandon cycle and wanted it for him. But I ended up fighting someone else, instead.
    Turns out it can't be used mid-battle.
    I lost.

Two in Diamond:
    *"I'm SURE Raichu can handle Rhydon. It knows Focus Blast!"
    *"Oh no! How can Machamp beat Dusclops! His Fighting Moves won't work, and Dusclops levitates, so Earthquake won't work, either!"
    Yep, I somehow missed the big "Dusclops' is exherting it's Pressure" message. I did, however, use Earthquake since I had to choose something, and Machamp did end up winning, so disaster WAS averted. Didn't help the silly feeling, though.

Very recently in Platinum
    *"Crud, Volkner's rematch is giving me trouble with his tenish level advantage. All I have left is...EMPOLEON?! WHY ARE YOU IN MY PARTY NOW?!"
    "For a bunch of guys on a mission to save the world, you sure do love your detours."--Gig, Soul Nomad and The World Eaters
    Friend Code: 5241-3316-7599, character named Edward. Safari contains Marowak, Diggersby, and Trapinch. PM me if you want to exchange codes.

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast