Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

I always thought "Nuggets" in Gen I were Chicken McNuggets ;_;
    "DRWS you are the god damned devil"
    I HAVE A BROKEN KEYBOARD.

Blog Entries

in gold, i could not figure out the ice path. i spent hours sliding on the ice, trying to reach the ladder. i got so frustrated i started a new game! then a friend told me you need strength to push the boulders. i was just like "oh. that's why i kept walking into the wall."

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pikapurple View Post
    in gold, i could not figure out the ice path. i spent hours sliding on the ice, trying to reach the ladder. i got so frustrated i started a new game! then a friend told me you need strength to push the boulders. i was just like "oh. that's why i kept walking into the wall."
    I never even got that far. I thought you needed an ice skates key item.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

I didn't know about the path that went west in Oldale Town.

Once I was playing gold and found a Machop in a cave. It was the first pokemon I had seen in a cave after using flash, but I knew what the flash animation looked like. It sparkled like the flash animation. I thought "That's cool it does the flash animation!". I KO'ed it. The next pokemon didn't. Weeks later I figured out it had been a shiny. Ouch.
    I lost the game.

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Oh, that sucks.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Improv. View Post
    Haha, now that you mention it, I used to think that too. English isn't my native language so as a kid the only nuggets I knew were chicken nuggets. I couldn't understand why people were paying so much for them...

Pokedex progress: 319/493 caught

Small Observations, Big Designs
    - my blog about game designing

Quote Originally Posted by Taija View Post
    Haha, now that you mention it, I used to think that too. English isn't my native language so as a kid the only nuggets I knew were chicken nuggets. I couldn't understand why people were paying so much for them...
    I'd never heard of a gold nugget, I had thought the same.
    I lost the game.

sorry for the future.... kakuna's Avatar

I remember trying to buy a bike... and it turns out that you can't!
    When I first got Cut on my pokemon, I just tried to chop down EVERYTHING

And when I started playing Colosseum I didn't know that the bags had separate section for the balls, so I just kept trying to use potions for some reason!

1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    "why can't pikachu hit Onix for any damage with thundershock?"
    Six Months.
    LOL! Wins!

It didn't take me as long to figure out that Pikachu and other electric types couldn't hit ground as it did to ACCEPT that they couldn't. I was always trying to figure out if it could be bypassed somehow, and I blame Ash for that. "Steal some electricity or something, dammit!"
    -----

This is such a good thread topic. If only I could remember some things...

Okay, here's one for starters:

You know in the original RBY, in Saffron City, how there's that one warp in front of the narrow passageway to get the Card Key? I couldn't for the life of me figure out how the hell I was supposed to go through it. It never occured to me to warp through it, go back, and then just walk towards the card key. I always sat, wondering what the hell I was supposed to do. Ultimately I erased that game file, and my Pokemon were so full of wins at the time too...

Truth be told, I never actually figured it out. My dad, who's not a video game person by any means, had to figure it out. On my next game file, I gave him the gameboy, and by some miracle, he LITERALLY stumbled his way to the other side of the key. Boy did I feel dumb.

When I first got Blue I too got stuck in Rock Tunnel. I had saved and turned off my game, then gone back to it. In the originals, when you saved in a cave, Flash didn't stay so you had to reuse it. My flasher was dead, and at the time I assumed a dead Pokemon couldn't use moves. Rather than trying to just use the attack, I wondered inside a pitch black tunnel for who knows how long. Somehow I managed to get out the right way, without turning the contrast/brightness up and down.

I was pissed when I learned fainted Pokemon could use HMs

Blog Entries

I never was able to get through Victory Road in Yellow. '_' Managed to finally get to the Elite Four in FireRed years later.

Not sure if this counts, but in Gold, I figured Gold and Silver were just Red/Ash and Blue/Gary heavily re-designed and thus named them Ash and Gary. Then moments later I figured out these were totally different kinds. Never bothered to reset as I didn't care too much, but it came to annoy me as time went on. Of course, now the save battery's dead, so yeah.

In the same vein as my last one, it took me a bit too long to finally piece together that Ho-Oh was the Pokémon Ash saw in the first episode. XD Think I figured it out maybe six months after GS came out.

The ice skating parts of Gold drove me absolutely insane. D: Managed to survive, but it probably took a while.

Figured seeing a shiny Pokémon in Gold was some odd glitch. Um. Oops.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Improv. View Post
    rofl, me too. i thought nuggets were food until those mini-images of the items appeared in FRLG. :|
    i was wondering why someone would pay five thousand pokebucks for a fucking chicken mcnugget.

i was NEVER able to get to blackthorn city in GSC. i didn't get the cave at all, even though i was pretty smart when it came to my video games...i didn't find out how to get through it until i picked up crystal again like 3 years after giving up. i'll probably get stuck at that part again in HGSS.

wallace/juan's gym, the ice room in trick master's house and ice path gave me hell. slippery ice surfaces ftl. i couldn't get through those places for a while.
    follow me on tumblr!pokemon tumblr

I remember a friend had gotten lost in Rock Tunnel in his (probably?) Yellow. I think I helped get him out of it. The thing was that he didn't have Flash, maybe didn't know about it, so I was going through blindly. There may have been another case of him getting stuck, maybe with Silph Co.'s building, but I don't quite remember.

I myself may have had trouble in Silph Co.'s building in Red, but I don't really remember, could just be memories of Red in general bubbling up.

Also may have had trouble finding the medicine for Ampharos in Gold; either didn't think of crossing the sea, or didn't find the guy who gave you HM03. Actually, I think I went straight back before challenging the guy on Cianwood, so I defeated him after Jasmine. Didn't have Fly, of course, so I guess I was surfing a lot.

Don't remember, it was either me or a friend, but one of us didn't realize you had to go into the Dragon's Den to finally get Claire's badge.

I got the player's guide for Gold/Silver, so there weren't many more hiccups, if any, but I don't remember if I got it before trekking the Ice Path, or because I was frustrated from not figuring out the Ice Path's puzzle. Doubt it was after. I think either me or a different friend missed Waterfall, so one of us had to go back to get it, probably learning from the other about it.

Edit: Another one I have to add: During the whole police investigation in my Gold version, I actually entered his name as "???" because I didn't know about the whole rival thing. I thought they might catch him, hahaha.
    Last edited by Gary Dos; 18th June 2009 at 04:38 PM.

I can't even think of one from way back then, so I will use a very recent one. I was replaying Yellow version, and making it interesting by long ranging a Mew and raising it from level 7. Now by the time I got Fly, my Charmeleon hadn't evolved, so I gave Fly to Mew, assuming there was a move deletor (cause there was one in Firered). I also ended up giving Surf and Strength to Blastoise later. I kept thinking there was a move deletor, so I would be fine. Eventually, after beating the 7th gym, I fly around trying to find the deletor, and never found him. I looked online, and there wasn't one :(

What makes this such an obvious mistake is the fact that someone tells you in game that you are going to be stuck with them, so think carefully before you use them. But, don't they tell you this in every game to come, the ones that do have deletors?

Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast