A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread - Page 35
Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

I spent one week trying to get a Ralts on emerald

Quote Originally Posted by SparkJolteon View Post
    Nearly everything that isn't "Select and talk with A and move with the D-Pad" is this.
    Seriously, when I first played, I didn't know how to use HMs! I never thought of talking to the rock or selecting it from the Pokémon selection screen. Oh, and when I first played Diamond, I didn't care for the cutscenes and barely knew anything about english, so I didn't understand why Dawn didn't let me pass until, like, a week later, when my Chimchar was already a Monferno. Oh, and I didn't know you were supposed to train more than one Pokémon, nor that moves had different powers and stuff. So I pretty much tried to kill everything with my Level 81 Luxray and his Charge Beam.

...I was such a noob back then...
    Oh yeah. I had a similar experience with the HM's when I first played Pokemon Red. The reason I kept getting stuck in Vermillion City and Cerulean City and couldn't get to the Vermillion City Gym is because I didn't know you had to use cut for that one bush by Cerulean City to get to Route 9 and that one bush by the Vermillion City Gym to get to the gym.

I also had a similar experience with training just one Pokemon with Red and Ruby/Sapphire so by the time I got to the Elite Four I would wind up with a level 60-80 Blastoise or Swampert and I would just solo my way through the Elite Four just like that. The sadder part is, my super high level Swampert back when I first played Ruby/Sapphire had all HM moves. I didn't know you weren't supposed to give your Pokemon all HM moves until a year or two later.

Yeah...I was pretty lame back then...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    On Yellow, I made two silly blunders.

> After defeating LT. Surge and reading: With the Thunder Badge, you can now use Fly! I spent ages staring at my new badge, trying to select it so I could use fly >.<

>When I was first going through Viridian Forest, I came across a wild Pidgeotto. My ten year old mind thought, "Wow! A Pidgeotto!" When it broke out of the Pokeball and said, Aw, it appeared to be caught (or something like this) I thought, oh bugger, someone has already caught this. The only thing I kept thinking was "I wish people would stop leaving their Pidgeotto's around" for about ten Pidgeotto's. :/

And then I realised what the game actually meant.

It was OK, I caught one eventually :)
    I made the same mistake, only with Azelf so I killed it!
    Shiny Sninx Breeding!
    Hatch Count: 67
    Trying to obtain a Shiny Shinx!

Blog Entries

Didn't know there was a master ball in the magma hideout until after it was closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Minto View Post
    In the first place, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house. It wasn't like they made it obvious or anything, but my eight-year-old self felt like an idiot when I finally figured it out (after ten minutes).
    You mean your house at the start of the game?
    If so.. the exact same thing happened to me. I bought Red Version... one of the first RPGs (if not the very first RPG) I had ever played, so I wasn't familiar with the idea that doors are typically in the middle of the south wall. I started it up, went downstairs... and had no idea how to go on from there. I saw a carpet (but no door) and had no idea that you had to walk up against what I thought was a wall and keep holding down...

Blog Entries

In Yellow version, trying to figure out how to make the guards let you into Saffron City. I beat all the other gyms and kept training my pokemon, and they still wouldn't let me in. Until I happened to have a vending machine drink in my bag when I tried to walk by them, and boom!, he takes the drink and lets me in out of gratitude. WTF, how did the developers expect kids to figure that out?

You see me then you don't Snowcracker's Avatar

Oh boy, I got my first Pokemon game, XD, when I was about 8. This led to few stupid moments.
    When I first came across Sudowoodo I somehow came to the conclusion it was a tree type. This ended with me being confused as to why flamethrower was doing so little damage.
    I also used to think Teddiursa evolved into Spinda, then Ursaring. Cue my surprise when Teddiursa evolved straight into Ursaring.
    Also, because XD was my first game, I used to think you could capture other trainers' Pokemon. I got pretty frustrated when I started a Leafgreen game.

Learn from mistakes, whether it's yours or someone elses. It's the only way to survive.
    People who post in F&G don't care about post count, only about having fun.
    Trying to come back for the holidays. We'll see if it works or not...
    The Pendulum swings between light and darkness.

when Playing Pearl online, I thought for the Longest time that Tyranitar was a ground type.

oh the Wi-Fi matches I lost because of that.

Super Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Back when I played Silver for the first time, I was so sure that Sudowoodo was a Grass type due to looking like a tree. I still remember how confused I was when my Quilava's Flame Wheel did so little damage against it and then I realized it was a Rock type.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

I never realized that those were bike stands and they were actually clickable. XD

My first game was Red, and it took me forever to get to Viridian City on Route 1. I spent 90 minutes trying to get into Viridian Gym.

I'll always remember you~
    Blog Entries

When I played Ruby for the first time, I couldn't figure out how to get past Odale Town. I went up to Route 103 and beat Brendan and everything, but I didn't know what to do from there. After about a week of playing, I figured they would never make the Hoenn region so small so I started from Littleroot and went along the perimeter of all the towns and routes until I saw that little gap west of Odale Town. ...I was so happy when I found that.

Oh yeah. I used to have no idea that nature affected stats.

Now, after a long time, I (think) I finally understand the Johto Safari Zone mechanics for levelling up blocks, and how to manage it to get all the pokémon out.
    3DS FC: 0044 3638 4020 - Ghost Safari

Looking for any pokemon with the move Celebrate

XY Global Link Medals: 150
    Battle Maison Trophies: 5
    Battle Maison Win Streak: 200 (Triple)

Really, i didn't fail even when im so young like 5/6 but one thing was, last time i wondered why my ground type moves didn't affect koffing so i went to check bulbapedia and 'oh.' :P
    And one time i thought grass type gyms were just having higher EVs than my water type so i trained it until it was overtrained lol. (i skip the text like it super effective and only look at the dumb picture)
    And i thought EVs meant stats. (that was IVs!)
    Yeah, i was really young. I figured out EVs and IVs at ten. (weird)
    Last edited by XxLTxX; 6th September 2012 at 06:29 AM.
    Please call me LT, not XX or whatever. Thanks.

Page 35 of 40 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast