A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread - Page 3

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Today when I realized the Scizor I've been EV training has a bad nature! Agh.

In Crystal when I thought if you hit "SEL" for one of your key items you could sell it. I tried to sell my bike about 50 times. I was 8 and didn't know better. :P

Hi, I'd like to transform you into a yeti.
    Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Today when I realized the Scizor I've been EV training has a bad nature! Agh.
    I did that with a Skararmory, it was so bad at lv50 that it got 1HKO'd by a lv50 tauros tackle. Its defense was about 53 or something crap and its other stats were not much better, its speed was so slow nearly every pokemon went first before it. The I tried breeding it with my hoothoot to hope for a better skararmory egg, but forgot and it hatched out as a hoothoot! Wrong gender skarmory. Oh well, I have a nice hoothoot with steel wing which I am EV training.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    I did that with a Skararmory, it was so bad at lv50 that it got 1HKO'd by a lv50 tauros tackle. Its defense was about 53 or something crap and its other stats were not much better. The I tried breeding it with my hoothoot to hope for a better skararmory egg, but forgot and it hatched out as a hoothoot! Wrong gender skarmory. Oh well, I have a nice hoothoot with steel wing which I am EV training.
    Aww! Well the Scizor is already at a really high level so I think I'll just finish EV training it. I'm not super competitive anyway, more of a coordinator. Still it's a shame about the Hardy nature...

Hi, I'd like to transform you into a yeti.
    Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    I did that with a Skararmory, it was so bad at lv50 that it got 1HKO'd by a lv50 tauros tackle.
    ...yeah... no. It'd only OHKO a Skarmory with Tackle if the Tauros had +6 Attack and the Skarmory had -3 Defense. ._.
    Owain likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow Magmaster12 On Twitter
    Visit Magmaster12's Youtube Channel

I started playing pokemon two years ago (I was hoorible at saving money and my family hated video games)
    I had many problems in Diamond
    First I didn't know how to get into Floroma Meadow
    I had no idea to get strengnth
    I didn't pay attenchen to what Saturn had said about the Veilstone Galactic building so I got so fustrated over what to do I started a new file
    I freaked when I figured out I managed to capture Dialga with a master ball (yes I was that stupid) and ended using it for the rest of the game until Lucians Bronzong kept on killing me thats what lead me to come here

Amazing how much I've learned in the last two years but there's still little details (like ivs) I dont get

Also when I borrowed my friends copy of ruby
    I got fustrated by the sootoplis gym puzzlr
    Also the trick master house when it had a puzzle simular to forrtree city gym it made me want to pull mt hair out and I still think it wasn't worth it

amazing Meron's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Meron On Twitter

When I played Crystal for the first time and got Box 1 full, I thought that I had to release Pokémon so that the box would have room for new Pokémon. Fortunately I found the other boxes soon.

y team

Just realised it took me ages to figure out how to get past the psyduck blockage beside the maid cafe where you get moomoo milk. It frustrated me so much, that I gave up playing the game for a while

Thanks Felly for banner

Beausoleil Jabberwocky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Jabberwocky on Facebook
    Follow Jabberwocky on Tumblr

When I learned what EVs were.

I traded away my Flygon, which had perfect EVs, for a crappy Bagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tina View Post
    ...yeah... no. It'd only OHKO a Skarmory with Tackle if the Tauros had +6 Attack and the Skarmory had -3 Defense. ._.
    It was something like that (might not have been tackle, but something that should not have 1HKO'd a skararmory)I think it was because I had it too many rare candies instead of EV training it and thinking this was a quick way of getting a high level pokemon. I screwed up 3 pokemon this way and not doing it again.

Thanks Felly for banner

Lighting Things on Fire Sarcastically Insane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Level 87 Skitty, only my level 100 Blaziken was stronger. Nobody told me a Moon Stone evolved it... and I still somehow missed Assist.
    Currently writing Hoenn Wars, a Travelsverse fic that needs no prior Travelsverse knowledge to understand. Chapter Seven, Sacrifice, is up.

That's interesting; I might have a look when I have the time. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh my god, these are too many links! Very specific...
    ^Someone's first impression of TVTropes.

Blog Entries

I have a bunch of them. I didn't start playing the games until I was 13 so a lot of these mistakes are undeniably retarded.

•Thinking that Ralts was a Grass-type even after I caught one. So I never used it to battle other Grass-types when I could have landed a super-effective hit on a lot of them *cough*Roselia*cough*. Stupidity finally cleared after the second playthrough, though. [Sapphire]

•"HOLY SHIT PIDGEY WHAT ARE YOU DOI--HOLY SHIT SWEET PIDGEOTTO" It was only after about the 5th playthrough that evolutions stopped catching me off guard. ;-; I knew about evolution already, having been an anime follower since childhood, but I thought you had to complete a quest or something for evolutions. [Leaf Green]

•Only training Blastoise. Level 81 Blastoise, level 20-30 others. The E4 was impossible so I used hax and almost got a heart attack when the game went buggy on me and pissed when my hacked level 70s got pwned before even getting past Agatha. [Leaf Green]

•Thinking that super/not very/non-effective hits were randomized. When my Venusaur was unable to hit Magneton with Sludge Bomb and do hardly any damage with Razor Leaf, I thought I just had terrible luck. [Leaf Green]

•Thinking that bad eggs were a harmless glitch and totally usable in battle, and that freaky upside-down messed up pokemon as sprites and wacky symbols stretching out everything were a cool trick. To this day, even mentioning those evil things gives me goosebumps. [Emerald]

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

- Not levelling up my team equally. Sadly, and quite pathetically, it took me a timespan of 4 - 4 1/2 years, from owning Red and Blue to going through Emerald until I grew out of this habit and gave each team member my undivided attention. Gone are the days now of a Lv.100 Charizard and erm... a Lv14 Pidgey lol. :p

- Thinking for the longest time that Electric couldn't affect Rock. I then realised this only applied to when it was compunded with a Ground type. This resulted in me neglecting to let my Raichu ever take on the likes of lance's Aerodactyl in Blue for the longest time. Silly me ;)

- Being under the illusion that one of the generic overworld sprites for NPC's in R/B/Y was half human, half insect. o_O Now I know that the sprite was just poorly conceived lmao.

- Going into the Elite 4 on Blue with a horrendously unbalanced team. All I can recall is that I got so far, and for some reason I was forced to bring out my Bellsprout. Eventually, it was forced to use Struggle, and I inevitably lost. Dark days in my training career, yet I look back at them with fond nostalgia hehe.

Notice how all of the above stem from my 1st Gen games, when I was a really inexperienced 8/9 year old. 10 years on, i'm way more conscious and strategic about what i'm doing in such a simply formulated game series xD.

in progress

when i got my first pokemon game, i couldnt read
    it sucked....

ok i could read, but just a tiny bit
    .......huh?

Yeezy taught me The Booty Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Level 84 Jake (Typhlosion) and lessee what the rest was...

Lvl. 23 Scyther
    Lvl. 17 Weepinbell
    Lvl. 11 (I think) Rattata

And that's all I remember. What I do remember is that by the time I battled Red, my Pokedex had maybe less than ten registered as caught.

Then I traded Jake to my neighbors, and then they lost him. I was incredibly upset, and then learned my lesson through raising up the rest of my team. Shaden/Scyther got evolved into a Scizor, lucky guy, and I do know that the rest of my team was more balanced out.

I also went and knocked Lugia out cold. Clean out cold in the Whirl Islands. I didn't even bother to bring any Balls with me. What bugs me is that I just figured,"Oh, well," and saved the game.

Note, this all happened in my Gold Version, which was deleted by my little bro restarting. However, a few months ago, I turned the game on, and found myself in front of Ho-Oh with a full team. I suppose the universe decided to give me a second chance at raising the family properly, which is going well. Still is strange how that happened, though.
    Owain likes this.

Hero of the mediocore Nt '95 trainer's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by .Charmander View Post
    - Not levelling up my team equally. Sadly, and quite pathetically, it took me a timespan of 4 - 4 1/2 years, from owning Red and Blue to going through Emerald until I grew out of this habit and gave each team member my undivided attention. Gone are the days now of a Lv.100 Charizard and erm... a Lv14 Pidgey lol. :p

- Thinking for the longest time that Electric couldn't affect Rock. I then realised this only applied to when it was compunded with a Ground type. This resulted in me neglecting to let my Raichu ever take on the likes of lance's Aerodactyl in Blue for the longest time. Silly me ;)

- Being under the illusion that one of the generic overworld sprites for NPC's in R/B/Y was half human, half insect. o_O Now I know that the sprite was just poorly conceived lmao.

- Going into the Elite 4 on Blue with a horrendously unbalanced team. All I can recall is that I got so far, and for some reason I was forced to bring out my Bellsprout. Eventually, it was forced to use Struggle, and I inevitably lost. Dark days in my training career, yet I look back at them with fond nostalgia hehe.

Notice how all of the above stem from my 1st Gen games, when I was a really inexperienced 8/9 year old. 10 years on, i'm way more conscious and strategic about what i'm doing in such a simply formulated game series xD.
    I failed then, but mostly because 4/6 of my team was flying or water. One Dugtrio, and a low level raticate.

I learned that balencing my team was important. Blastosise fainted, and I lost from there. I got better.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast