A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Default A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Posting in the first Pokémon game thread made me think back when my Yellow version was brand-spanking-new and I was a newbie to the franchise. I was so stupid back then!

In the first place, I couldn't figure out how to get out of the house. It wasn't like they made it obvious or anything, but my eight-year-old self felt like an idiot when I finally figured it out (after ten minutes).

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.

Anyway, share your own dumb experiences so we can all have a laugh. I can't be the only one this happened to!

Default Re: A "Wow, I should have figured that out a lot sooner" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Minto View Post
    A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess).
    Are you serious? You'd have to defeat about a thousand Pokemon to get that high of a level. I bet the rest of the game was really easy, though.

I can't think of any really stupid mistakes. I did try to find MissingNo for about a long time on Pokemon Yellow before finally giving up.

Whoa. You were stuck in Viridian Forest that long? I think I'd have given up on the game long before that!

My own very stupid experience was when I was 10 and playing Red/Blue. I was in the Silph Co. building and had gotten the Card Key that let me open all the doors in the building. I was chuffed. One thing - I didn't know how to use the key. I kept ramming my character into the doors, wondering why they didn't open. I even paid my friend to play the game and work it out for me (she never got round to doing it). Then, two months later, I went up to a door, and accidentally pressed the A button. And..... THE DOOR OPENED!

I've made some other pretty silly mistakes, but this one has got to be the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawliet View Post
    Are you serious? You'd have to defeat about a thousand Pokemon to get that high of a level. I bet the rest of the game was really easy, though.
    Entirely serious. o_x I was in there for weeks (might have been months, actually) leveling up with Caterpies and Pidgeys. I don't really know why I didn't give up, but the rest of the game was a piece of cake.

Ramming into the doors is some kind of awesome. Besides, it makes sense. Usually if you shove something long enough it opens :P

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Ramming into the doors is some kind of awesome. Besides, it makes sense. Usually if you shove something long enough it opens :P
    Unless you shove it from the wrong side.. but:

On my first play through of Sapphire it took ages but I eventually managed to get to the point of the cave of origin and got to battle Kyogre and since I have never seen it before I defeated it, only then did I find out from a friend you could catch it T_T well I never knew about legendary pokemon much then.

A second, much lengthier stupid thing I did was get stuck in Viridian Forest for weeks. Pikachu made it to level 81 in there because I was in there for so long (I didn't bother training anyone else, I guess). I had absolutely no idea how to get out at all. I thought the exit was just a dead end and when I finally pressed against it, I was shocked. Happy, but shocked.
    Wow, I was not that bad, I got lost for two weeks, and kept fainting my pokemon so I kept having to go through that place again, in Yellow. I thought about throwing the game away, but in FR, it was a lot easier to get through.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Shinx3000 View Post
    Wow, I was not that bad, I got lost for two weeks, and kept fainting my pokemon so I kept having to go through that place again, in Yellow. I thought about throwing the game away, but in FR, it was a lot easier to get through.
    I always think it's easier when it's in color. :P
    I return after a 2-year hiatus to get a warning on my sig. Thanks for the welcome back >_>

Based Mod Dan's Avatar Social Media EditorModerator
    Blog Entries

"why can't pikachu hit Onix for any damage with thundershock?"
    Six Months.

The Silent Shadow...:P

In Crystal, I didnt know about the radio tower quest and I kept talking to the old guy in front of the gym every day for a whole month.
    When I finally DID go to the tower I spent another month looking for the director :P
    I swear, I challenge anyone who names their in-game character Ash to show me WHAT is so great about him other than the fact that his pokedex is actually an AR. If you can't tell me any good reason WHY he's so effing popular (to people who actually understand the so-called logic of the anime), please tell me one thing he did in the anime that redeems him for his cheapness!

Do the guys who made the quiz really think of Ninetales like that?

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

After catching the red Gyrados and meeting Lance, I watched him fly away to take on Team Rocket. I thought, "Oh, I should go help him." I wandered all of Johto for 3 weeks looking for the guy (I kept thinking he was in Goldenrod because of that rocket outside the Radio Tower) Imagine my surprise when I stopped off in the mart in Mahogany to get supplies and Lance had been having a three week fight with the guy in the store.

Another time... I didn't know how to use Flash, so I went into the whirl islands without dig or an escape rope. I got lost, really fast.

I also, and am sorry to say, that I once met Monica in Olivine (a monday actually) and got her item. However, my batteries died and I went back the next day. Well, I couldn't find Monica and ran all over Olivine trying to find her, thinking I had got the location wrong. Now you know why I like Olivine so much. This was the same time as me trying to solve the heal the Amphoros quest and not having a clue as to what I was doing.

After that, I got better at the games. The Internet and players at school helped out a lot.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Dont worry, Moo couldnt get outside either D:

Blog Entries

Not sure if this counts or not but when 3rd gen came out, I deluded myself into thinking Carvanha and Sharpedo were nothing to each other. My reasoning, a Piranha can't evolve into a shark, so I thought they were like Zangoose and Seviper (Pokemon that can't evolve or aren't evolved from something). Imagine my shock when Carvanha got to the right level. I released my caught as is Sharpedo because of that and kept my new Sharpedo.
    Last edited by dman_dustin; 30th October 2011 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Derp Derp

I got stuck in Mt. Moon for a week until a friend finally showed me the way out.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    "why can't pikachu hit Onix for any damage with thundershock?"
    Six Months.
    Aha, i blame the Animé for that one.

I speant an innordinate amount of time looking for rock climb in DP.

I actually ended up ringing my GF and forced her to 'net it for me while she was at college aha!

And i dont even have age as an excuse, i was 18!

*Sorry, just realised that this was in a "Gen I-III" section.
    Last edited by Mega-Markario; 22nd May 2009 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Oops!
    "Shellos does not approve" - XD

3DS FC: 4468-0966-0032
    Version: Y
    Type: Water. Pokemon: Frogadier(PROTEAN,WOO!), Gyarados, Panpour.

POKÈMON WHITE FC: 4684-7670-8863

Add me if you like :)

- My D/P team.
    - My blue team .

Oh, another:

In Pokemon Crystal, I was at the part where I needed the medication for the ampoharos, so I began wandering around Johto to find it. Eventually I ended up at the Lake of Rage, and I found the guy that talked about meditation. Being the not able to read eight year old that I was, I thought he was saying medication. I so I kept looking around him and talking to him expecting something to happen.

Sentinal of Anistar Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Morty's gym. It took me a month to get through.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast