Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?

Relax and have fun. The Power of Pika's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?

Quote Originally Posted by ashs pikachu View Post
    I actually think Sinnoh is the most hated region. I always thought Hoenn was the most popular out of them all, though Kanto is my favorite region.

I think it is the cities and Pokemon that won people over to Hoenn, I mean I have seen so many love Mudkip.
    Currently yes but give it a few years and it'll be in the same boat as 3rd gen is now. Though it may take a tad longer considering 3rd gen actually lasted a while.

I remember saying this a few years back to the 2nd gen fans who wouldn't believe me that 3rd gen would get popular. 3rd gen was really hated by the internet fandom years ago due to the 2nd gen fans being in high number. They literally told me that 3rd gen would never get popular because it was a bad game. Funny how times change.

I was actually basing my predictions back then on how I observed 2nd gens progress on some of the gaming forums. It was hated upon by a good number of 1st gen fans.^-^;;;;;
    That got popular when more 2nd gen fans got on and got more confident.

History repeats itself.

I have always had a preference for 1st and 4th gen however 3rd gen was pretty good aswell. You don't see many 4th gen fans mainly because sinnoh isn't old enough yet.

I don't think it's possible to really get an idea of which has the most fans. 1st gen only fans left a long time ago and it's been a revolving door since where fans come and go as they move in and out of the franchise. Internet fandom does not give a good indication especially when newer gens like 4 and onwards still has children yet to come online or come on the forums related to pokemon.

My name is Daffy Duck, I worked on a Merry-Go-Round, The job was swell,
    I did quite well,Till the Merry-go-round broke down.
    (Hoo-hoo! Hoo-hoo! Hoo! Hoo! Hoo-hoo!)

I think it has been with the release of pokemon black and white that has made the surge of gen III likes

Blog Entries

Purely nostalgia. It's what happened with the first two gens already, and what's going to happen with the fourth and fifth given enough time.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustic View Post
    Purely nostalgia. It's what happened with the first two gens already, and what's going to happen with the fourth and fifth given enough time.
    ^ This. Said it perfectly. In a broader definition, it's a matter of "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" and it has been 8 years since we`ve heard from Hoenn. We felt the same about Kanto during the Hoenn league and Johto during the Sinnoh league. After we get our taste of Hoenn near the end of G5's run, we will start to yearn for Sinnoh come time for G6 to take the torch.
    Kaustic likes this.

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

I honestly don't know WHY Gen3 is so popular. IMO it was the worst of any generation of new Pokemon, other than a few stand-outs. I hated the funky-looking overworld graphics, sprites, & color palate. The plot (in spite of its dire overtone) just didn't feel serious enough; frankly it was forgettable. It was also the first of many to use the 'catch the Legendary to save the world' premise, but the Legends weren't even balanced, especially when you first caught them:

Groudon, LV 45, Ground-Type, knows Earthquake(STAB), Fire Blast (ineffective vs Water), Bulk Up, & Slash.
    It's "best" moves are SolarBeam (Super-Effective vs Water) and Eruption (ineffective vs Water), neither of which get STAB.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~VS~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Kyogre, LV 45, Water-Type, knows Hydro Pump (STAB, Super-Effective vs Ground), Ice Beam (Super-Effective vs Ground), Calm Mind, & Body Slam.
    It's "best" moves are Double Edge and Water Spout (Super-Effective vs Ground).

(Based on this, it seems fairly obvious why the world is 75% water.)

I also don't think that using FireRed, LeafGreen, HeartGold & SoulSilver as examples for why Ruby/Sapphire remakes are coming is viable; The original versions of those games couldn't interact with post-Gen2 games, making certain Pokemon nearly impossible to obtain, in addition to the fact that they were incredibly popular, which is deserved. The reason Ruby and Sapphire are popular is because they were the fist 'next gen' Pokemon titles. It's much like how people swear that FF7 was the best in the series, which just isn't true.

The only noteworthy thing about Gen3 is the introduction of something to do with Pokemon other than battling; ironically, this feature has been neglected in each Gen since, rather than expanded on.

So, yeah, I think all the recent hype about Gen 3 stems from people wearing nostalgia goggles. (Maybe two pairs at once.)
    Last edited by Stratago; 24th August 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Blog Entries

Just like how theres Genwunners, theres Genthreers as well. Hoenn was like a new generation game, the graphics are much more advanced, closer to 4 and 5. Gen 1 and 2 both have the poor gameboy graphics and not much color. The story was really good, even if Team Magma and Aqua's goals were really stupid. But since its really hard to connect to Gen 3 at this point - two migrations - everyone would like to be able to get all those Pokemon again.

Honestly, I think Gen 3 had some of the best Pokemon. I really don't like much Gen 2's and hardly any Gen 1's. And you know everyone likes Mudkip.
    97SaturnSL1 likes this.

Proud Pokeservative! 97SaturnSL1's Avatar
    Blog Entries

possibly *cough* new remakes *cough* and it is getting to the ten yr mark.remember also that these were the first series games for the GBA and the graphics and audio were greatly improved on. and lets not forget the intro of double battles. therefore the games reaching a annivercery milestone would bring back nostalgic feelings.

so i herd u liek mudkipz?
    Thepiplupstory likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123