Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?

Every poll on the forums that lists Hoenn or Gen III as a option Hoenn always gets the most votes i though Gen III was the most hated gen in the series, why the surge in popularity?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why is Gen III so popular all of a sudden?

I don't know if it is "all of a sudden." I mean, I love Hoenn the best because it was so big and vast in geography. The first region to show us that. Not to mention that the Pokemon there were awesome.

Super Moderator Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Not everyone hates Gen Three, a lot of people like Hoenn and the Pokemon in that generation a lot. Some of my favorites are Hoenn Pokemon, Milotic, Jirachi, Sceptile, Delcatty and others. While I feel it was a bit bland at times, it wasnt a bad generation at all. Many people like it because they may have started with Hoenn or just generally love Hoenn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Two reasons:

1) A lot of the users here were the target demographic back when Ruby/Sapphire was being released, which means that a lot of users here started with Hoenn.

2) Hoenn is getting to that point where nostalgia can take over, kind of like Gen I and II used to be. Furthermore, with the remakes of RGB and GS, people have been able to replay those first two generations fully updated (meaning their nostalgia is, for the most part, appeased) while the lack of Hoenn remakes means that fans of that generation can't (meaning their nostalgia isn't.)

That's my opinion anyway.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Post Thanks / Like

The games are reaching their tenth year anniversary period, and as a result, the players that have started with Generation III have all grown up and have begun to share the same feelings for the Generation III titles that a lot of us feel for the first two generations.

That being said, however, I never really hated Generation III as far as the games go. They very much capture the same feel as the Generation I and II games in terms of quality and I honestly don't see why there was so much critical backlash. Bearing in mind, I didn't own my own copy of Gold/Silver, so I played it whenever I got the chance, but I did own my own copy of Ruby as well as Sapphire, so when I played through Ruby, I couldn't even tell which Pokémon were from each generation aside from those I recognized from the Anime. They all blended in so seamlessly, in my opinion.

As for the Anime, though, the Hoenn and Sinnoh chapters are around the time I stopped watching. It had become all about battles and contests, with the latter being the most boring segment of the show, in my opinion. I didn't start watching again until Black and White.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've always loved Gen III as well, and yes, I didn't really know the reasoning behind the backlash of Gen III either (though I think it's because only 25% of pre-Gen III Pokemon were in Ruby and Sapphire). But as I've said, I've always loved Gen III, mainly because that was when I started playing the Pokemon games. But I guess now we're starting to feel nostalgia for that generation, so the fans who didn't like Gen III that much like it more, and the people that loved Gen III now love it more due to the chance of there being RS remakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Because everyone and their dog wants Gen III remakes.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

I think it was always popular. And besides, I don't think the popularity is going to die down until we hungry hippos get our Gen III remake. But then, after that happens, Gen IV is going to get really popular, and so on.

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

追放されたバカ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's probably because of two following reasons:

- Like Gen I, the people who grew up with Gen III considers it as the superior gen
    - Like the Zelda series, the fans hate on the latest gen and start liking the last gen, which was previously hated before

Bringing Shinx to Hoenn! Shiny Shinx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Shinx's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    - Like the Zelda series, the fans hate on the latest gen and start liking the last gen, which was previously hated before
    But I really like Gen V even though Gen III is my favorite.

I'm a full time Pokemon Breeder! But please visit, I really do appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm betting that in another 4 years or so the same thing will hold true for the Gen IV.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I definitely think that it is because it has finally reached the point where nostalgia takes over. I'm not saying Gen III is bad by any means, I'm just saying that it crossed that threshold.

As for the region itself, I think it is because of all the exotic locations.

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Post Thanks / Like

Nostalgia is a very powerful emotion, Virizion's Lover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow TeraDyne On Twitter Add TeraDyne on Facebook
    Visit TeraDyne's Youtube Channel

While it may be nostalgia for some, I personally just find Gen 3 to be my favorite. I loved the bright colors, the Pokemon selection, and the games from that generation. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this feeling, either. (For the record, I started with Gen 1)
    ~Virizion. Virizion. Rosy knight Virizion. Make the trouble go away, so that we may laugh and play.~
    Disclaimer: I play by VGC rules, don't EV train or care about IVs, use the Japanese names (and sometimes even terms), and I refuse to take part in drama.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

The only thing I really disliked about Generation III was the lack of backward-compatibility with the previous two generations. With those games becoming unplayable due to the save batteries conking out, that lack of backward-compatibility is no longer a relevant issue. Realizing and accepting this fact has allowed me to better appreciate Generation III and recognize it as a fun game on its own.

I still think more remakes are unnecessary, though.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast