Why Is Gen II Supposedly The Best Gen?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Why Is Gen II Supposedly The Best Gen?

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Why Is Gen II Supposedly The Best Gen?

Everyone has heard of people who adore the first two generations but hate the most recent three. So, why do you think the best generation is Gen II according to those people?

Blog Entries
    Add Mister Insufferable on Facebook
    Follow Mister Insufferable on Tumblr

Default Re: Why Is Gen II Supposedly The Best Gen?

Yeah. Riiight.
    Of the five gens, Johto hardly shone at all.
    Kanto was the first ever game, Hoenn was rebooting the story, Sinnoh was a pioneer to DS and Unova was totally new.
    If we are going by originals alone, Gen II did very little, in my opinion.

Call me Derry, Dermodio, Modio or Sir. Actually, scratch the first 3.
    Formally one of the best dag-nab roleplayers on this website yo.
    Winner of the 2011 Winter RPG Awards for Best Academy RP (Ampiomach Academy),
    Best Character in a Pokemon RP and Best GM in a Pokemon Roleplay

Help me complete the Pokedex with Shinies!
    Friend Code- 3067-5323-3960

Blog Entries

Follow Jaden on Tumblr Visit Jaden's Youtube Channel

Actually, I've heard a lot of hate about Gen II.

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

As I said in a similar thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Arc Blader View Post
    Simple: it expanded on the original concept just enough so that it appealed greatly to people who enjoyed the original games. And most people who enjoyed the original games weren't yet cynical enough to pay that much attention to its faults (that cynicism unfortunately arrived in time to catch Gen III in the crossfire). Throw in the nostalgia factor, and it's suddenly the default answer for "Best Generation" in most peoples' minds.
    Amusingly enough, Digimon Adventure 02 works on the exact same principle. Original Content+Shiny New Stuff+Non-jaded fansXNostalgia=Perceived Greatness, every time.

Blog Entries

A lot of people hold Generation II in high regard because that was the first generation they started on, therefore nostalgia kicks in pretty hardcore for them. Not to mention, Gen II received tons of polishing that the original games didn't have, either graphically, musically or just general game engine tweaks that made the experience a lot better.

As for me? Gen II is pretty good, I guess. But I feel as if Gen I with Gen II's engine/graphical polishing would have vastly outclassed it.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NintendoGamer View Post
    Everyone has heard of people who adore the first two generations but hate the most recent three. So, why do you think the best generation is Gen II according to those people?
    Well, because it expanded beyond Generation I. It was the first generation to introduce a whole new region, new Pokemon, new gym leaders, etc. That was a pretty exciting time because back then, no one knew Pokemon would get a second generation.
    다시 니 품에 안기고 싶은 나
    dashi ni poome angigo shipeun na
    고개숙였어 입을 막아 버렸어
    gogaesookyeosseo ipeul maka beoryeosseo

아직아닌가봐 잊지 못했나봐
    ajikaningabwa itji mothaettnabwa
    내맘이 널 가슴이 널 놓치 못했나봐
    naemami neol gaseumi neol nohji mothaettnabwa
    그리웠었나봐 잡고 싶었나봐
    geuriweosseottnabwa japgo shipeottnabwa
    그날의 널 사랑한 널 보낼수가 없었나봐
    geunaleui neol saranghan neol bonaelsuga eopseottnabwa

Shhhh
    Blog Entries

Because it simply is.

Nostalgia, Awesomeness, Designs, all perfected.

I personally have a fondness for it because it refined several of the lumps in first gen, and added a whole new world onto something I was already in love with. The concept of a new generation of Pokemon was still, quite literally, new. And I was 11, which was the perfect age.

Blog Entries

Admittedly, G2 as good for its time. Compared to now, however...

Most of the nostalgic praise, I want to think, is solely because they couldn't trade with Ruby/Sapphire. They wanted to keep their old stuff.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

It was my first generation. It expanded on the original games and added features that werent present such as NIght/Day and shinies and Berries. It also introduced alot of interesting new Pokemon and the ability to breed Pokemon. Also Crystal was the first full color Pokemon game. It was just a great generation that alot of people loved.

Blog Entries

As soon as I finished Gold, I went back and replayed Yellow, back in the day.

Gold and Silver introduced a lot of concepts, like Genders, Breeding, the Day/Night Cycle and some of the most popular Pokémon in the franchise.

However, when I played GS, I also noted that Johto was a mess, the difficulty was either too hard (Whitney's Miltank, Clair) or too easy(Team Rocket, the Elite Four), I couldn't find any new Pokémon, and the ones I could find were stuff like Aipom and Stantler.

It's probably like Arc Blader said: they saw the good points and glossed over the bad ones.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I question why it's the best installment of all time considering that the game suffered from the worst level grinding in the series so far, and had more Kanto Pokemon and less Johto Pokemon available in the wild for the new region, which is kinda sad. To make matters worse, Umbreon's the only dark type available until after you beat the Elite 4. Some of the gym leader rosters were questionable since a few of them used Kanto Pokemon as their signature Pokemon rather than Johto Pokemon. HG/SS failed to fix these problems, making it the weakest entry to the 4th gen set.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    I question why it's the best installment of all time considering that the game suffered from the worst level grinding in the series so far, and had more Kanto Pokemon and less Johto Pokemon available in the wild for the new region, which is kinda sad. To make matters worse, Umbreon's the only dark type available until after you beat the Elite 4. Some of the gym leader rosters were questionable since a few of them used Kanto Pokemon as their signature Pokemon rather than Johto Pokemon. HG/SS failed to fix these problems, making it the weakest entry to the 4th gen set.
    There were only about five Dark-types to start with, and Umbreon was the only pure one. Steel-types were also difficult to get until later in the Johto region, and there were only five also (and all were dual-types).

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laterose View Post
    There were only about five Dark-types to start with, and Umbreon was the only pure one. Steel-types were also difficult to get until later in the Johto region, and there were only five also (and all were dual-types).
    And like Dark, only one was available (if you're playing Gold version), but neither Umbreon nor Magneton were good choices to use on your playthrough due to low offensive stats (on Umbreon's case) and limited movepools (like every other Pokemon). Another notice is the severe lack of sidequests for Kanto as it felt more like a chore.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't know why Gen II is held in such high regard, due to the terribleness of it. The level curve, the designs, the cramped regions... it all makes Gen II horrible.
    PKMN Trainer Faye likes this.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast