Why Does Pokémon Channel Get a Lot of Hate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Does Pokémon Channel Get a Lot of Hate?

Default Why Does Pokémon Channel Get a Lot of Hate?

I know it's not a traditional Pokémon game, but wherever I go, it seems like people despise its very existence. The game is one-of-a-kind (barring its prequel Hey You, Pikachu!) and I don't see what's so horrible about interacting with Pokémon. It's almost like a crime. Why do so many people hate it?

That game was craaaaazy cool...for a month or so.

I guess because it "furthers" Pokemons kiddy image...you know, because some people are afraid to admit the series has always been pretty kiddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Habunake View Post
    I guess because it "furthers" Pokemons kiddy image...you know, because some people are afraid to admit the series has always been pretty kiddy.
    That or they hated Pikachu with a passion. I really don't see what's wrong with interacting with Pokémon though. That's like saying that Harvest Moon is kiddy because you interact with people, or saying that the Chao in the Sonic Adventure games were for kids only.

I find Pokemon Fans to be heavily insecure. :P

The biggest critical comment is that it has no gameplay in it - you just watch TV.

I enjoyed it, but I played it with my little brother and got the most enjoyment from the Pichu Bros short (<3 The Pichu Bros).

On the whole, it's rubbish as a game. You don't really do anything in it and it only lasts 7 days. It has little to no entertainment value in it for anyone other than the youngest audience of Pokemon and its biggest selling point is the Jirachi in PAL versions.

Seriously, I don't hate the game - but how can anyone not see where people are coming from when they slate it? I'd be hard pressed to give it anything over 20&#37; myself.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's like all Ambrella games. It has its charm but if you are over the age of 10, you are going to get bored with it very quickly.

The main factor in whether you will like it for the first week is probably how much you like the anime.

Quote Originally Posted by FabuVinny View Post
    It's like all Ambrella games. It has its charm but if you are over the age of 10, you are going to get bored with it very quickly.
    Dude, I'm 18 years old and I'm still getting kicks from playing Hey You, Pikachu! and Pokémon Channel.

Regardless, this really shows how much people hate different things, like how people like to hate Mystery Dungeon and such. But then you have the people who bitch about games being too similar, so either way, it doesn't look too good at all for either sequels or spin-offs.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its generally because its not a very good game. There have been *gasp* bad Pokemon games released to the market, this is better than Hey, You Pikachu but still pretty bad. But heck, Pokemon Dash is about as low as you can go, so meh.

Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Pinball GBC (or R/S), and Puzzle league/challenge are still the best spinoff Pokemon games. Ranger was ok, and Dungeon was alright but got very repetitive after a while. I'm probably not going to get the second Dungeon game because I haven't felt much of a motive to go back and play the current one after the story ended.

I hope we can get spinoff Pokemon games that impress above the "meh" level sometime. I'm tired of being "meh'd" and want the "meh" to be replaced by "Wow" or "Hey, they actually put some effort into this one...unbelieveable!" again.

Lost and Confused... MangaBottle's Avatar

It's a cute game, but it's the kinda game that I'd rather just hire for a week rather than waste $50 on.
    I would consider buying this sort of game, however, if it included multiplayer mini-games, like the old Stadium Kid's Club. Basic idea -- same as Hey You! and Channel, but doing tasks has the purpose of unlocking new games, and scoring points in the mini-games lets you buy stuff to transfer to your Diamond or Pearl games. Oh, and the mini-games make use of the Wii-mote and are Wi-Fi compatable. :3
    Pikachu's Party Club -- doesn't it have a nice ring to it? ^-^
    Last edited by MangaBottle; 16th August 2007 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott85 View Post
    Its generally because its not a very good game. There have been *gasp* bad Pokemon games released to the market, this is better than Hey, You Pikachu but still pretty bad. But heck, Pokemon Dash is about as low as you can go, so meh.
    But what I want to know is why it's so bad. I mean, surely, Hey You, Pikachu! must've been one of the most popular Pokemon games ever, but whenever I look on forums, it's always shot down as being "kiddy" and such.

I was greatly amused by this game. My friend and I had major fun for hours. She would basically trash my neatly placed pokedolls and she liked the stupid Mareep Channel.

I loved shopping with Squirtle which greatly amused me since my mom was obsessed with QVC shopping channel at that time. The star constellations were great fun. I also enjoyed trying out the differant TVs.

I also tried to write down all of the differant Meowth on the scene things. I like Pichu, so the Pichu brothers cartoon was great fun, especially since they had the Japanese version on there as well.

I also liked coloring pics for Smeargle. My friend and I did a hideous one and named it Machop Guts. then we saw Smeargle evaluat eit and he loved it. Cracked us up. We also liked to watch the weather channel and urge Slowpoke on "GO that way, stop, no go back!"

So here's one 18 year old fan of that game. It amused me and thus it was love. If only the dang buses would come faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey2004 View Post
    But what I want to know is why it's so bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ~The Master~ View Post
    The biggest critical comment is that it has no gameplay in it - you just watch TV.

On the whole, it's rubbish as a game. You don't really do anything in it and it only lasts 7 days. It has little to no entertainment value in it for anyone other than the youngest audience of Pokemon and its biggest selling point is the Jirachi in PAL versions.

Seriously, I don't hate the game - but how can anyone not see where people are coming from when they slate it? I'd be hard pressed to give it anything over 20&#37; myself.
    I mean, surely, Hey You, Pikachu! must've been one of the most popular Pokemon games ever, but whenever I look on forums, it's always shot down as being "kiddy" and such.
    Hey You, Pikachu! gets shot down because it's got similarly limited gameplay like Channel - made worse by a crippling control scheme (a microphone) that never worked the majority of the time thanks to the limits of voice recognition, a technology still in its infancy and about as useful in games as a chocolate teapot right now.

And why are you defending the Ambrella games against claims of them being "kiddy"? They are kiddy! That's their entire raison d'etre! Ambrella's Pokemon games, Hey You, Pikachu, Pokemon Channel, Pokemon Dash and the Typing Tutor; have all been designed from the ground up for the younger audience of Pokemon. They're created with Pikachu as the star as the identifiable face of Pokemon, focus on edutainment/simple activities and are written/designed with a young audience in mind.

The reason they get "shot down as being kiddy" is because that is entirely what they are.

What's wrong with kiddy? I found Hey You Pikachu to be a really fun game, especially the fishing. I also loved collecting things in the forest. I didn't care much for the feild area, though, because Pikachu was more interested in saying hi to Charmander than talking to me.

Pokemon Dash I didn't find kiddy at all. It was hard >.< One finger slip or one once of concentration lost and several pokemon pass you in the race. I didn't enjoy that one as much because of the level of difficulty in some of the courses was ridiculus.

I did enjoy racing on courses modeled after my Leafgreen team, though ^_^

These games are fun. Since when has being a fun game been a crime? They'r enot meant to be brian teasors or hard core games or even like our original dear Pokemon games. They are simply simple fun in it's purest form. Don't go to these games looking for a challenge (except Dash and raising the stupid Caterpie for Butterfree) go to them as a diversion from the hectic struggles of everyday life and a way to unwind after a hard day.

Or for laughs with friends. "Pikachu, do the forbiddne dance!" "Electric XXX" and then changing that with "Electric Sex" XD it's oh so much fun with friends.

Exactly. I mean, look at Disney and Nickleodian. They have so many freaking kiddy shows that if I were to watch them for a whole day, I'd reach for the nearest revolver, yet their shows are extremely popular, and not just for the little kids.

I enjoyed Hey You! Pikachu a lot more than Pokemon Channel, but as lonepichu said, these weren't made to be a challenge; they were meant to be simple fun, and that's what they were.

(Raising the Caterpie and fishing were the hotspots of HYP, in my opinion. I spent hours just fishing, and the pinata game...Priceless.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast