Why do so many people hate gen III? - Page 67

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1010
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do so many people hate gen III?

I love it! Though I didn't know at the time the games were started fresh, since Sapphire was my first game. That would've bothered me at the time... and it was kinda short.
    Though I, unlike most, like the water routes; especially I like going underwater! IIRC, that hasn't been done in any other game and I wish it'd be done again. It's my personal favorite ^-^

Blog Entries
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir On Twitter Add Mikes Gardevoir on Google+
    Follow Mikes Gardevoir on Tumblr Visit Mikes Gardevoir's Youtube Channel

I liked Gen III it was fun even though the water routes dragged on and on they were still fun!

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

Because some people think Ruby and Sapphire looked and felt weird. I loved Gen III, Emerald remains my favourite Pokémon game; but going back to Ruby and Sapphire now, they look and feel like a fan-made hack of FireRed / LeafGreen to me. It's something about the sprites. They look like saving something as .gif and losing the image quality because of it.
    Last edited by Frenzy Plant; 4th February 2013 at 10:21 PM.
    LadySasaki likes this.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

Blog Entries
    Add Kutomba on Facebook
    Follow Kutomba on Tumblr

Water.

I don't have anything against Gen III, but it's my least favorite simply because all the other ones have something a little better for me. I don't know.
    I kissed you in the water and made your dry lips sing
    I saw you look like a Japanese baby
    In an instant I remembered everything...

Quote Originally Posted by Keasbey View Post
    Because some people think Ruby and Sapphire looked and felt weird. I loved Gen III, Emerald remains my favourite Pokémon game; but going back to Ruby and Sapphire now, they look and feel like a fan-made hack of FireRed / LeafGreen to me. It's something about the sprites. They look like saving something as .gif and losing the image quality because of it.
    This.

I've been trying to put this exact sentiment into words for years but can't really articulate. All I can say is that gen 3 just never looked right to me. The sprites displeased me, the font was weird and ugly...I basically didn't like the graphics at all, and since I'm a very visual person this was a big factor for me in not feeling comfortable with the generation as a whole (and yes that includes FR and LG as well as Hoenn). No other gen ever made me feel that way - only gen 3.

Other reasons (some very subjective!) include:

- the most forgettable/disappointing gym leaders and e4 of any region. I have trouble even naming all of them, VERY rare for me
    - inability to transfer old pokemon. I understand why now, but that doesn't change how disappointing that was at the time
    - the annoying-as-all-hell special/physical split defined by type; they mercifully refined this in gen 4
    - team magma and aqua were my least favourite evil teams ever
    - and, just to show I am including FR and LG in this discussion, I didn't like the remakes half as much as the gen 1 originals. I'm one of the few ppl who loathed the Sevii Islands addition - Kanto was great the way it was, and didn't need an addition!

So you can see how all of this combined made me pretty unhappy with the generation in general. I didn't dislike gen 3 and I certainly don't hate it with a raging passion like some pokemon fans. But it's inarguable that I didn't love it nearly as much as the others, and so my list of favourite generations will always end up with 3 on the bottom. That's just how it goes ^^;

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

Follow Fandango on Tumblr

I actually highly prefer the third gen over the others, because it felt like a fresh wave over the franchise. When Crystal's girl avatar was the highlight of evolution, something's dun gone wrong if you ask me.

Snarker Extraordinaire Captain Blue's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Captain Blue on Tumblr

I was in sixth grade when Gen III was first released in the US: I remember how excited I was, because I had fallen into a rut, so to speak, in regards to Pokemon. Ruby completely revitalized my interest, and a lot of my friends were playing it, too, which surprised me since around that time it wasn't "cool" to like Pokemon.

The main thing is that Gen III is the "middle child" of Pokemon: Gens I & II are cool because of your Nostalgia Filter, and Gens IV & V are more recent and brought the series to where it is now. Gen III brought in all the new mechanics -- Abilities, Natures, competitive mainstays such as Salamence and Swampert -- that make Pokemon what it is today (although, granted, that could be said about any Pokemon gen). On the other hand, because of how IVs and EVs are calculated now compared to Gens I & II, there would've been issues with linking with the older games. Lots of people wanted to transfer over their old favorites into the new games, and got upset when they couldn't.

For it's time? Gen III was ground-breaking, absolutely fantastic, and a solid step in the right direction (at least, in my opinion). However, nowadays Gen III has to deal with Middle Child Syndrome until the inevitable remakes are announced and Hoenn gets to be loved again.

Dex

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blue View Post
    I was in sixth grade when Gen III was first released in the US: I remember how excited I was, because I had fallen into a rut, so to speak, in regards to Pokemon. Ruby completely revitalized my interest, and a lot of my friends were playing it, too, which surprised me since around that time it wasn't "cool" to like Pokemon.

The main thing is that Gen III is the "middle child" of Pokemon: Gens I & II are cool because of your Nostalgia Filter, and Gens IV & V are more recent and brought the series to where it is now. Gen III brought in all the new mechanics -- Abilities, Natures, competitive mainstays such as Salamence and Swampert -- that make Pokemon what it is today (although, granted, that could be said about any Pokemon gen). On the other hand, because of how IVs and EVs are calculated now compared to Gens I & II, there would've been issues with linking with the older games. Lots of people wanted to transfer over their old favorites into the new games, and got upset when they couldn't.

For it's time? Gen III was ground-breaking, absolutely fantastic, and a solid step in the right direction (at least, in my opinion). However, nowadays Gen III has to deal with Middle Child Syndrome until the inevitable remakes are announced and Hoenn gets to be loved again.
    Wow, I couldn't put it into words, but now I think this might be one of the better ways of looking at it. Gen III was a bit of a shock in that it threw a bunch of changes at players. It's not the good old nostalgic I & II. People were going to be critical of it. It also hadn't had the time to develop into our modern perception of Pokemon, even though it layed down the base for the newer games.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

It's worth looking at this in the context of when Ruby and Sapphire were first released, because for a lot of people from my generation - the original Pokemon generation - that's the reason they still hate it. We didn't know that we would eventually be able to have all the Pokemon from the previous generations available to trade into that game, and so when these games didn't have a bunch of the Pokemon from previous generations and there was no way to trade from Gen I and Gen II, we thought it was a reboot and those older Pokemon were lost forever. There's also the fact that they got rid of some of the really fun features of Generation II, like the radio and the time-of-day stuff (I know there's still technically an internal clock that controls shit like Berries and tides, but it doesn't work like it does in Gen II) and all that. Nowadays, with Emerald, Fire Red and Leaf Green out, it's easy to see that those fears were unfounded, but we didn't know that at the time.

The only real plus, for Gen III, was the fact that they was a far more interesting variety of environments, and also weather, but even the weather didn't vary that much - it always rained or whatever in the same places. And I also think the idea of having more sympathetic villains was a step-up; Team Rocket was bound to get old after a while. Though of course a lot of people who think CHANGE = RUIN didn't see it that way.

Anyway, all I can say is I'm glad that I waited years to play Gen III rather than getting it when it came out, because I think it's much easier to appreciate it now in light of knowing that it wasn't a reboot and it was eventually going to offer a lot of the things that it seemed not to at first. The scenery for me really made the game (except for that last quarter that is all water and endless wild Tentacools and Wingulls. I mean, I love Water Pokemon, and even I thought that was some bullshit).

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Follow FuzzelDaFurret On Twitter
    Visit FuzzelDaFurret's Youtube Channel

I really liked gen III. It is my second favorite region after Johto of course, Very nice music and refreshing and calming. I just loved it!

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

Correct me if I am wrong... but I thought many people loved Gen 3. In fact many people are asking for remakes and they have been asking for the past 3 years. If anything, I kinda think it's overrated. Not because it's popular but because I felt it was rather forgettable compared to the other generations. Heck the only thing I liked about Gen 3 was the teams.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Haruhi. View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong... but I thought many people loved Gen 3. In fact many people are asking for remakes and they have been asking for the past 3 years. If anything, I kinda think it's overrated. Not because it's popular but because I felt it was rather forgettable compared to the other generations. Heck the only thing I liked about Gen 3 was the teams.
    It's usually the same group of people demanding remakes. And those who played Gen1 and Gen2 were in their teens when Gen3 came out - when they get conscious of their peers and follow the message of "pokemon is for babies", and most left pokemon by then. Some came back in Gen4 and 5 when they grew up and stopped caring about what others think. Gen3 - especially RSE - was squeezed in the middle where the pokemon fan groups shifted from those who first played with Gen1,2 to those who first played with Gen4,5.

^ Actually, I'm of the weird minority group that didn't enjoy Gen III as much as others (see above post) yet would like a remake, to give me the chance to properly appreciate and love Hoenn the second time around. Because my problems with Gen III largely stemmed from the (imo!) shite graphics, annoying estrangements from other generations and awful physical/special system being type and not move based, most of these problems would therefore be fixed if we got gorgeous new remakes.

I also feel wifi/gts/dream world would open up Hoenn, and make it feel more in keeping with the more modern regions. For a lot of fans Hoenn marked the advent of suddenly having to play on the their own, as their friends no longer found pokemon 'cool'. Because the fad was losing the momentum of its initial upsurge for the first time and because wifi hadn't yet been introduced, Hoenn saw kind of a dip in the communication between players, so with trading options less available and no way to bring your old pokemon forward, you could feel a little 'stranded' (I did, at least). Remakes would change all of that.

I breed egg move pokes & DW females.

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

Wow, I wasn't aware that a lot of people hated gen 3 until I saw this thread. I like it, though, it's one of my favorites. First off: the music. I didn't even realize how much I missed it until HGSS when you could hear it from the radio. Second: secret bases, one of the best things in pokemon ever. Oh yeah and Sapphire was the first main series pokemon game I ever played so yeah, it's special to me.

As long as you had repels, Gen 3 was great. I didn't like Gen 1.
    Lynch me if you must for my heresy, but every single time I play FR/LG, it seems old-fashioned, even compared to Ruby and Sapphire which were released before FR/LG.
    Gen 1 just gives me the willies, I don't know.

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 175765666768 LastLast