Why do so many people hate gen III? - Page 63

Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Default Re: Why do so many people hate gen III?

I love every thing in Gen III except the BF in the anime.

********PIKACHU I LOVE U************

All I can think of for the reasons as to why others hate gen III would be;
    - lots of water *now, this makes sense, but come on! Hoenn is a PURE ISLAND REGION*
    - Incompatibility with gen I/II *we're talking GBC to GBA .It's not possible to connect the two systems, so they should quit their whining*
    - Occasional ability to get lost *from personal experience, but it's not that annoying*
    - The requirement to get all of the gen III games for a complete pokedex *doesn't bother me, I'm a Hoenn boy*
    - The lack of Celebi *now this I can't comment on, but did anyway; at least we got Jirachi.*
    - The loss of the time function *no loss, it made finding pokemon easier*
    - The huge differences in where you're meant to go between R, S and E because of the teams *Again, doesn't bother me - they TELL you where to go!*

I think form my notes it's clear I LOVE gen III. It's my favourite and always will be. I prefer most Hoenn Pokemon to their Johto/Kanto counterparts, like Corphish and Latias. It doesn't deserve the hate it gets, no generation does. Each one has done something important to the series (though gen IV is neglegible, it at least made all regions but Hoenn playable on the DS).
    Joltik likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Well, personally my biggest problem with Ruby and Sapphire was the terrible, terrible, terrible story..
    Wait, what? Story-wise, Ruby and Sapphire aren't nearly as bad as GSC and RBY.
    Your complain makes no sense.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, personally my biggest problem with Ruby and Sapphire was the terrible, terrible, terrible story. DP notwithstanding (what's worse than an awful plot? A rehash of an awful plot,) I think its been the worst in the series so far. Emerald went a long way to fixing this problem, but (other than the bland characters,) I still think it is the weakest aspect of the Generation III games. The lack of post-game content didn't help much either.

When I was young and too stupid to understand the reasons, I was also upset by the lack of backwards compatibility, but I got over that.

With that said, Gen III did bring many new goodies with it that I'm just now beginning to acknowledge. They invented natures and abilities. They revamped the IV and berry growth systems. It introduced some of the most awesome Pokemon to date (Milotic, Blaziken, Sceptile, Breloom, Salamence, the list goes on) and it delved deeper into the myths of the box legends than any game had before. It introduced contests (for better or worse,) which kick-started the new mini-game mechanic present in all games since (more contests in DPPt, Pokethlon in HGSS, Musical in BW,) it introduced us to the Battle Frontier, etc.

There are also the Gen III games that weren't RSE, all of which were terrific, in my opinion. From FrLg, to Colosseum, to XD Gale of Darkness.

I was a pretty big Gen III hater back in the day, but now I can recognize that Gen III did a lot of good things for the franchise. Overall, it's a solid installment into the Pokemon mythos and I harbor no ill will toward it...even if the story still sucks.
    You guys see the bolded? These are all positive things I said about Gen III in my post. Why is it then that everybody focuses on the one negative paragraph I wrote? Nothing is perfect, Pokemon least of all, and I did not enjoy the story of RS one bit. I do acknowledge that Emerald fixed that problem, but the RS story is one of my least favorites in the whole franchise (for reasons I've already stated.) And that's my opinion. I don't blindly praise everything Game Freak does as a work of art because for the most part, everything could use improvement. However, along with the negatives, I also pointed out some positives. In fact, the only negative thing I said about RS was the story. So why does everybody focus on that and ignore the positive things?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

You guys see the bolded? These are all positive things I said about Gen III in my post. Why is it then that everybody focuses on the one negative paragraph I wrote? Nothing is perfect, Pokemon least of all, and I did not enjoy the story of RS one bit. I do acknowledge that Emerald fixed that problem, but the RS story is one of my least favorites in the whole franchise (for reasons I've already stated.) And that's my opinion. I don't blindly praise everything Game Freak does as a work of art because for the most part, everything could use improvement. However, along with the negatives, I also pointed out some positives. In fact, the only negative thing I said about RS was the story. So why does everybody focus on that and ignore the positive things?
    Because Gen III is the one Gen you're never allowed to speak bad of, ever. At least that's the impression I get from some people white knighting the RSE games.
    Grass Type Warrior likes this.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Blog Entries

When you affirm something that isn't true, its natural to see people disagreeing.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mantiz View Post
    When you affirm something that isn't true, its natural to see people disagreeing.
    But opinions are neither true or false

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sonic10158 View Post
    Yes and that give us the right to disagree, if I am not mistaken.

I agree. I thought you said that disliking Gen III was wrong. I must have misread

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Blog Entries

I agree. I thought you said that disliking Gen III was wrong. I must have misread
    No problem.

Disliking any generation isn't a wrong thing; I myself dislike Gen II.

I like all the gens, just not equally

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but here you're basically calling me a liar for not liking the story of RS. This is not something that I appreciate.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

I'm sorry, but here you're basically calling me a liar for not liking the story of RS. This is not something that I appreciate.
    He has a point. You can't rationally say that someone's personal opinion on a story is true or false, because an opinion is a reflection of the person making it. It's true to GTT because it's his opinion, so you can't call him a liar for stating his opinion. Granted, you may have read it as if he was stating a fact, but the phrase itself lends itself to opinion, not to true fact, so logically you have no ground to stand on in calling him a liar for telling you the truth about what his opinion is.

Myself, I never played any Pokemon game other than HeartGold and the TCG (I'm a newcomer; I was poke-deprived as a child), so I know better than to talk about what I don't understand. This time. (snickers)
    Last edited by Nuvakat; 20th May 2012 at 02:29 PM. Reason: adding a bit more

Shadow Triad Elite ShadowStriatonTriad's Avatar

Visit ShadowStriatonTriad's Youtube Channel

I found Generation 3 so dull and I quit watching Pokemon when Generation 3 was released. Though, I didn't know it would get worse...Generation 4. Hikari made me so sick, I didn't even bother buying any Generation 4 games or watching the Sinnoh anime. Generation 4 was the absolute worst series. Then, Generation 5 got better, until they decided to add Hikari into a cameo for Best Wishes 2...then that was the last twig buster. >.<

Don't leave Comrades behind.

I agree that Gen IV (minus HGSS) was easily their weakest Gen, but i still liked it

Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast