Why do so many people hate gen III? - Page 3

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Default Re: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Actually, I like parts of Gen III - Coliseum, Gale of Darkness and FR/LG were ballin'. I just couldn't stand Hoenn. Before you play the nostalgia card on me, I'll say that I could care less about Johto and that Platinum is by far my favorite game in the series. Anyway, Hoenn:

-The water, doods, the water. I wouldn't mind this so much if they dropped the encounter rate, put in better Pokémon to find or better yet, reduced the amount of water.
    -There was something off about the region itself, as well. Despite the amount of environments, it felt so...bland.
    -I couldn't stand the style. I'm not talking about the Pokémon (like every region, I liked some and disliked others), rather, I'm talking about the sprite style itself. Compared to FR/LG, I think it looks ugly and bleah.
    -The so-called rivals. 'Nuff said. Some people might be annoyed with Barry, but at least he had a fully-evolved starter!

I think there's more to it than that, but I'm not willing to play through the region again just to see what I don't like about it. I respect it in that it introduced a lot of competitive battling elements and new gameplay, but I still don't like Hoenn. I seriously had to force myself to play the game so I could Pal Park the Pokémon I wanted.

However, I still play through the other games in the generation - I just recently replayed Coliseum.

But looking at this weird and amusing little trend, next gen everyone will be clamoring for the good old yonder days of Gen IV. When Gen II came out, everyone cried for Kanto; when Gen III came out, everyone adored Gen II; when Gen IV came out, everyone stood up for Hoenn, etc.

First of all I feel it's important that I make it clear that I have no problem with anyone who is a fan of the third generation and that just because I hate it doesn't mean I think you should too. Now that that's out of the way I have multiple reasons for not liking gen 3(r/s/e as I loved Fr/Lg and ignore spin off games pretty much entirely).

The Pokemon: The pokemon in gen 3 I like are Blaziken, Groudon, Rayquaza, and to some small extent Kyogre(I like the theme anyways, don't really like Kyogre's design that much.) Many of them seemed pointless replacments to pokemon I was already a fan of(i.e. Beautifly/Butterfree, Slaking/Snorlax) and for the most part I just didn't really like the designs witch meant that without my favorites from the first 2 generations I didn't really have many pokemon I could enjoy having in my team.

Fluff: This has been a problem with both gen 3 and 4, and that is pointless stuff put in the game to pretend they are moving it forward when they aren't, I'm talking union room, contests, underground, all of the pointless stuff that has never seemed fun to me.

Focus on Legendary Pokemon: I just didn't like such a big deal being made about the legendary pokemon. I liked it better when they were more of a novelty concept.

Missing stuff from Gen 2: Stuff like real-time, the radio, and the cell phone added a lot to the game imo and they we're all taken away. While some of them were replaced I didn't like the replacements as much.

Like I said before, there is nothing wrong if those things don't bother you(or if you disagree on any of those points.) But that is why I didn't like r/s/e. I'm glad there are fans of this generation, would be much worse if nobody had enjoyed them imo. I also have to say I don't see what the deal is with the complaints about the enviroment, I actually thought hoenn's map was well done.
    Last edited by Laughing Bat; 28th June 2009 at 04:27 AM.
    3DS FC: 4570-7605-2787

I love Gen III.

Rock Smash, nuff said. I actually loved gen III, but it just isn't my favorite. I'm thinking people don't actually hate it, but rather the other gens just overshadow it.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Bat View Post
    The Pokemon: The pokemon in gen 3 I like are Blaziken, Groudon, Rayquaza, and to some small extent Kyogre(I like the theme anyways, don't really like Kyogre's design that much.) Many of them seemed pointless replacments to pokemon I was already a fan of(i.e. Beautifly/Butterfree, Slaking/Snorlax) and for the most part I just didn't really like the designs witch meant that without my favorites from the first 2 generations I didn't really have many pokemon I could enjoy having in my team.
    Exactly. IMO many of the Gen III Pokemon were rip-offs of Gen I pokemon. The list is about 1/2 of all the Gen III pokemon, and that kind of ruined the feel. Why would you want new pokemon that were almost exactly the same as the old ones when you had the old ones?
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks View Post
    Exactly. IMO many of the Gen III Pokemon were rip-offs of Gen I pokemon. The list is about 1/2 of all the Gen III pokemon, and that kind of ruined the feel. Why would you want new pokemon that were almost exactly the same as the old ones when you had the old ones?
    ...You do realize that every generation past Gen I has these "rip-offs" it is part of the overall design of the series. On top of that, Generation III brought more unique Pokémon than did Generation II or even IV.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

Blog Entries

This is such a good topic.
    I hate gen 3, but I don't know why. lol

The Master of Evil Flame_Wheel54's Avatar

because i heard in the older games that you can level up your pokemon over lv.100 and the water routes are so annoying
    Like my team?

cheese! Insanish Danish's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Insanish Danish on Tumblr

I didn't even realize there was so much hate for Gen III. ^_^; I liked Gen III myself, even if it wasn't my favorite.
    back to being a non-edible pastry

Follow Roxas on Tumblr

I like Gen III. What I don't like about it, is the music, but that problem is easily solved.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer-c View Post
    ...You do realize that every generation past Gen I has these "rip-offs" it is part of the overall design of the series. On top of that, Generation III brought more unique Pokémon than did Generation II or even IV.
    All the ones I can think of out of my head:

Slaking was a rip-off of Snorlax. Late-game normal types with some restraints, but lots of power.

Beautifly was a rip off of Butterfree, with Silcoon and Cascoon being rip-offs of Kakuna and Metapod, and Wurmple as a rip-off of Weedle and Caterpie. They were all early-game bug types that evolved fast, based on the same concepts.

Ralts was like Abra, because when you raised it, it didn't know any damaging attacks, so you had to use other techniques (Exp. Share or switching pokemon). They were psychics that were hard to raise but became powerful.

Tailow was much like pidgey, they were both early-game flying types that evolved into a good bird pokemon (Ash even had both in the anime). I know that Hoothoot and Starly were rip-off too, but Hoothoot could learn some psychic attacks, and Starly learned some unique things.

Skitty and Delcatty served the same purpose as Meowth and Persian.

They had Cradily and Armaldo, which essentially replaced the old fossil pokemon.

There was bagon->shelgon->Salamence, which was a Gen III version of Dratini's line.

Spheal->Sealeo->Walrein were a replacement for Seel and Dewgong.

Pulsle and Minun were like two Pichus designed for showing off the double battles.

All of these pokemon had to be made because Gen III wasn't compatible with Gen II, and many pokemon from Gen II and Gen I weren't available in Gen III. So instead of coming up with new pokemon ideas for new content in the pokemon games, they just ripped off of a bunch of the Gen I pokemon so people could still have those early-game butterflies, or those fossils people had to choose between. Much of the content was recycled from generation I.
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Blog Entries

Generation 3 was my favorite! I seem to be in the minority though...
    Why is it my favorite?

-Beautiful scenery. Sootopolis was gorgeous, really nice concept. Fortee was fun to! And I'd always walk by the lakes with my reflection in them. And Slateport was nice, it had the city and water. The volcano type thing (forget the name) was very well done as well. Even the desserts were well designed.

-The Pokémon. They had Solrock! As if that wasn't enough they added in cute ones like Mawile, Groudon, Jirachi and Aggron. Remember where we got Mightyena and Gardevoir from? Yep, generation three.

-Magma and Aqua. They had the coolest outfits ever. Especially Magma. They also had unique aims unlike Rocket.

-Contests. I'm a coordinator far more than I am a battler. For this reason I loved generation three. Contests are still my favorite parts of the games to this day.

Hi, I'd like to transform you into a yeti.
    Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All the ones I can think of out of my head
    Dude, how does that even make sense?

You can essentially say each new bird, (Swellow, Staraptor) were replacements for Pidgeot. What do Slaking and Snorlax have that makes them remotely similar? Skitty/Delcatty aren't any similar to Meowth/Persian than Glameow/Purugly are.

A good chunk of the 4th gen Pokemon are new evolutions for old Pokemon, and the other half are legendaries.

You'd think people would be crying about the lack of creativity for the 4th gen designs, given how many of them are just new evolutions for old Pokemon, some with barely changed designs like Tangrowth.

Blog Entries

Slaking was a rip-off of Snorlax. Late-game normal types with some restraints, but lots of power.
    Slacking is more attack oriented than Snorlax, and is obtained by different methods. Sharing the same type =/= rip-off. It just means the Pokémon share the same typing.

Beautifly was a rip off of Butterfree, with Silcoon and Cascoon being rip-offs of Kakuna and Metapod, and Wurmple as a rip-off of Weedle and Caterpie. They were all early-game bug types that evolved fast, based on the same concepts.
    And Lediba/Ledian Spinarak/Ariados were Gen II's early game bugs, and Combee/Vespiquen and Burmy/Womadam/Mothim are Gen IV's early bugs. It's a formula that the series has follow and will continue to follow.

I will grant that the Wurmple line is similar to the Caterpie line, but, one of the many aspects of Pokémon design is basing them off of real world creatures, and real-world insect kingdom has many species of caterpillars, butterflies, and moths.

Ralts was like Abra, because when you raised it, it didn't know any damaging attacks, so you had to use other techniques (Exp. Share or switching pokemon). They were psychics that were hard to raise but became powerful.
    ... Ralts learns Confusion at Level 6, and has a full set of moves that it learns while leveling up, incliding Psychic at level 26. It is also more defensively capable than the Abra line, as well as having a branched evolution (and not requiring a trade to evolve), which Abra does not.

Tailow was much like pidgey, they were both early-game flying types that evolved into a good bird pokemon (Ash even had both in the anime). I know that Hoothoot and Starly were rip-off too, but Hoothoot could learn some psychic attacks, and Starly learned some unique things.
    The responses to the earlier examples apply here. You appear to be confusing a filling a certain position with being a rip-off. I can use a rock to drive a nail into a board, that doesn't make the rock a "rip-off" of a hammer, or vise-versa.

They had Cradily and Armaldo, which essentially replaced the old fossil pokemon.
    Beyond the fact that they are fossils, and all being part Rock-type, these Pokémon have very little in common. They filled the role of fossil Pokémon, but they are in no way "rip-offs".

Skitty and Delcatty served the same purpose as Meowth and Persian.
    There was bagon->shelgon->Salamence, which was a Gen III version of Dratini's line.
    Spheal->Sealeo->Walrein were a replacement for Seel and Dewgong.
    Pulsle and Minun were like two Pichus designed for showing off the double battles.
    All covered in the responses above.

All of these pokemon had to be made because Gen III wasn't compatible with Gen II, and many pokemon from Gen II and Gen I weren't available in Gen III. So instead of coming up with new pokemon ideas for new content in the pokemon games, they just ripped off of a bunch of the Gen I pokemon so people could still have those early-game butterflies, or those fossils people had to choose between. Much of the content was recycled from generation I.
    Game Freak was obviously well aware pretty early in the development that of Generation III that they would need to remake Red and Green, this is why the Kanto location data was already programmed into Ruby and Sapphire, so the premise that they had to "replace" any Pokémon is a faulty one.

As I said above, the games have a formula. There are going to be starters, early Flying, Bug, and Normal-type Pokémon, late-game Dragons, and what have you.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

While they have somewhat different abilities, it can't be denied that their general concept is extremely similar. It happens every generation, but the third one was the worst. The Pokémon are not identical, obviously, but you can't deny them being "repeats" of older Pokémon.

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast