Why do so many people hate gen III? - Page 2

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do so many people hate gen III?

More often than not, it's the "start from zero" bit. People were pissed off they couldn't get their precious Pokémon from GSC into this. Basically, they wanted another cakewalk of a game with the same old Pokémon every damn time. Having an all-new place with next to no links to all the old things was a no-go. I wanna see them deal better with a data issue as big as this one. I bet they'd rather not go through the hassle of making a pheriphery that'd allow the trade between Gen 2 and Gen 3 and make new games, which not only nets them way more money. It's ultimately better for the series as a whole.

Personally, I prefer the 3rd Generation even above the 4th. I don't know, I like it when the new Pokémon are, you know, actually new. 1st Gen did this for obvious reasons, and gladly, 3rd Gen also went this route, with only 2 Pokémon related to old ones. All the rest are 100% new, interesting and refresh the gameplay in a way GSC failed terribly to do. Training and getting to know new critters is where the true core of Pokémon lies at, and 3rd Gen did this really well thanks to the so-hated fresh start. In short, I'm glad it happened. I didn't want another damn Johto.

Hoenn was a much richer Region than Kanto and Johto, which felt samey. While this can be blamed on the system capabilities of the time, and even though Johto had amazing cities like Goldenrod and Ecruteak, as well as much more inspired locations than Kanto, Hoenn is the one Region that has an actual variety of environments all over it, and truly creative Cities and Towns. They're not all the same or generic, as they were in previous Generations, with a few exceptions. We've got a desert, a volcano, a vast sea, underwater areas, jungle, mountains, and a lot of lush and wonderful sceneries, which really stand out. Then we have Fortree, Sootopolis, Pacifidlog, Lavaridge, Fallarbor... even the more "generic" Towns and Cities have a charm of their own. Going through RSE was truly an experience thanks to the scenery alone.

The characters were all cool. I prefer the Johto Gym Leaders, but the Hoenn lot were also pretty cool, especially as far as looks are concerned. Also, RSE gave us a decent amount of supporting characters. Faces that stand out alonside the Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, which were few and counted in previous Generations. As for the evil Teams... the rivalry concept was really well done, at least in Emerald, where both stood as antagonists and their Leaders got differentiation. No matter how retarded or short-sighted their plans were, they had quite the spin on the tired Team Rocket stuff of the time, which was much-welcome. And personally, I like it when they stared to focus this one plot on the Legendary Pokémon. It's just a realistic take, whatever people say. Why should humans limit themselves to their own capabilities or methods, when they have an array of creatures to take advantage of in order to reach their objectives? Team Rocket did the same, but only Magma, Aqua, Cipher, Galactic, Go-Rock Squad and Dim Sun have actually taken this to the next level. And I like when such important Pokémon are actually involved in the plot, even if it forces one to catch them when it happens. It just adds more of a climax to the Evil Teams part.

The new features have enriched the gameplay and the core as much, if not more, than the Physical/Special spit, or the Special Stat split. Natures and IVs make each Pokémon truly unique, and Ablities are also interesting twists in the battle scene. The EV cap also adds to the strategy and the uniqueness, not to mention that it empowers a Trainer's style, which was merely limited to Pokémon and Movesets before it. Likewise, Pokémon feel more alive. No one can say that giving them Natures was detrimental. Even if some suck depending on the Pokémon, now they at least feel like true characters, and less like numbers, which was much more apparent in previous Generations, with only the Friendship to go by regarding a more "personal" attachment.

Pokémon Contests also added a new side-quest of sorts to focus on, not to mention a new Role in the Pokéworld and a way to make otherwise "useless" Pokémon in battles to have more of a sense of accomplishment. I dislike how they've been treated since Emerald, but it's a nice add-on nonetheless. Not to mention it adds more of a dynamic compared to the straightforward and non-interactive gameplay of the battles. And regarding the battle scene, we have the Battle Frontier, introduced in Emerald. Having more than one way to battle, and all those twists and turns... it was much refreshing, whether you like it or not. It's not as mindless as the generic battling, definitely.

Really, the only thing 3rd Gen lacked was a proper use of Real Time. However, if it was going to be like GSC, or even worse, like DPP, where it really doesn't makes much of a difference... I'm glad it's not in. Thanks to that, they polished the game where it's actually important.

Regarding other games... FRLG was a nice remake overall, but they left out several needed bits which make it not too good. Not to mention useless "Help" features, especially the flashback crap. That aside, they were a huge improvement in every way over the original games. Colosseum and XD, no matter how many people hate them, gave a new dimension to Pokémon, expanded the plot, and also allowed you to actually focus on training Pokémon you otherwise would ignore. All of these games were great jewels in their own way.

I've been into Pokémon since 1st Gen, but I can say without remorse that 3rd Gen has been the most enjoyable for me. I'll never understand why people hate it. Having Pokémon you dislike doesn't makes it any worse than other Generations. There's nothing wrong with preferences either, but it gets ridiculous when random people call 3rd Gen "skippable". Funnily enough, I still play my 3rd Gen games more than the 4th Gen ones. That might change once I get HeartGold, but 3rd Gen will still remain as an outstanding Generation that wasn't scared of moving away from tradition and gave those capable of appreciating its greatness a much-needed fresh start in this series. Hell, hadn't it been for Gen 3, I'd have abandoned Pokémon by now.
    Gunaydin, JimJam707, NiirB and 1 others like this.
    lol I got bored.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mijzelffan View Post
    yeah, if you think so please say WHY you hate it. That's the reason why I made this topic in the first place. To see WHY some people hate it.
    Why do I get the feeling that it'll be contested and challenged anyway?

Blog Entries

Ralts was Abra without teleport.
    Until level 16, that is.

Hoenn was my favorite region what with starting anew, a colorful new batch of pokemon (I loved them, so colorful and creative. Isn't creativity a common theme to whine about with Gen4? Hypocrites~.) and the most memorable cities. Diving was pretty fun IMO, and what with Sapphire being my second ever pokemon game and the first where I actually was able to memorize all the pokemon, it has a special place in my heart. ♥

Ironic how Gen III is so hated when some of the Gen III pokemon have somewhat of a cult following (Blaziken? Gardevoir?) and introduced many features that some consider to be so important these days (like natures and the current EV/IV system).

FR/LG was less amazing for me, which is weird because Leaf Green was my first game. I liked it, but it was hard for me to appreciate it while I was still new to the gaming scene. It was nice though.
    So yeah.

Registered User The Fighting Misty's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they condensed the water routes which ticked people off, I don't think there'd be any reason to complain about it.

The water routes were my only problem, the actual Pokemon, design of the region, and Gym leaders were all fine.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melodyfree View Post
    Ironic how Gen III is so hated when some of the Gen III pokemon have somewhat of a cult following (Blaziken? Gardevoir?) and introduced many features that some consider to be so important these days (like natures and the current EV/IV system).
    Because "platinum did it soooooo much better" >_>

Blog Entries

For me, RSE and Hoenn are my favorite games and region respectivelly. Since I didn't play the Generation II games until I had Sapphire (I bought Crystal 6 months after I purchased it), I already knew I couldn't trade Pokémon between them and all the differences in the game mechanics of both games. Still, I didn't care for Johto or any other related thing plot-wise, maybe except for Lugia and Ho-Oh and the return of Kanto, Red and Blue.

The Day/Night system was pretty awesome in GSC, but only if you like some sort of challenge when filling your Pokédex (as for catching different Pokémon depending on the time) or the idea of being restricted to visit several locations depending on the hour. RSE didn't really need that to appeal to me; I'm pleased with the use of a 24 hour clock for the growth of berries, some events like Blend Master, clearance sales and evolving by happiness my Eevee.

Speaking of the design of the region, I liked the emphasis on water and I really appreciated the underwater sections of Hoenn: diving was fun and much better that clearing whirlpools to fulfill quests. Having places with unique features and layouts like Fortree City and Pacifidlog Town was pretty cool also.

The overhaul of the Pokémon data structure was welcome; Sapphire was the first game in which I truly learned the significance of EV training/stat experience and the importance of choosing the right ability, move or nature to have the most benefit in battle. As much as I enjoyed RBYGSC training system, I think it was too much simple and centralized on random battling. Needless to say about 2-on-2 battles...the 'standard' format I support the most to this day.

About the Hoenn Pokémon, I became familiar with the new style the minute I first turned on my GBA with Sapphire plugged-in: Milotic, Salamence, Blaziken, Altaria, Banette, Ludicolo, Claydol, Cradily, Metagross, Shedinja, Zangoose, Skitty, Slakoth, etc. I missed Charmander, Omanyte, Scyther, Snorlax, etc. for a while, but not as much as to despise the new Pokémon, and with the arrival of FRLG this was fixed.

All of the above are some of the reasons of why I choose Hoenn as my favorite region.
    Last edited by RudolphMilotic; 26th June 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    championsound likes this.

Blog Entries

The only problems I had with gen 3 were the legendary exclusives but that was partially fixed that with emerald. The other was gen 3 had no backwards compatibility and I know there would have been connectivity issues but still I worked hard to catch them all the first time.
    Is there anything worse than being all alone in the night?

Yes... being all alone in a crowd.

Blog Entries

I liked gen III when I got it. There was just alot of new things for me to do, and lots of nice features. The visuals were actually good for a handheld game system too. My only problem was the lack of real day and night changes (that was one of my favorite parts of GSC!) Gen III brought alot to the table, but as with anything, its all a matter of taste.

PDL

People hate Gen III because it wasn't Gen II.

The same thing occurs with every series ever.

Gen III is actually still my favourite Generation. I'm currently playing through Fire Red and wish to restart my Sapphire and Leaf Green games (once I transfer all the Pokémon from them into my Gen IV games... Although that may take a while since I'm only touching Pearl once in a while (due to mon overpopulation) and I keep putting off playing Diamond and not even touching Platinum.
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Yeah, I think the reason people did not like Gen III was your right, it was not Gen II, guess it was the change people were not used to, remember gen II had Gen I elements, kanto pokemon and Team Rocket to start, kept the OMG too many Zubat and rattata which RS only had zubat and you could visit Kanto again. Gen III had no TR, no Kanto or Johto, no headbutt trees and mostly new pokemon, minus a few Gen I and II pokemon appearing until FR/LG when all became available again.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Blog Entries

Because you couldn't A)Start out with the same Pidgey, Caterpie, and other redundant crap and try something new in the games and actually train an entirely new team B)Pokemon fans fear change and C)You couldn't trade over that Level 255 Mewtwo and wreak everything in the game like old times.

Basically, it was the cutoff line for many different things in Pokemon, anime and games. Some people hated this change, and Gen III was the scapegoat. That's probably why more people like Gen IV compared to III, it replaced the original change in direction that many people hated so much.

I love Gen III, and I started out Pokemon with Pokemon Gold. It still holds up, but there were many flaws that Gen III started to fix. No more dependence on Kanto Pokemon, no more TR, it shook up Pokemon in a way that if it wasn't for it, there would be no Team Galactic, Day and Night would still be gone, and features like natures and EV caps would be nonexistent.
    Last edited by Duckgon Z; 26th June 2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogasu View Post
    A lot of people point out that Pikachu beat Regice and is therefore super powerful, but I tend to ignore that because it was such a bullshit victory. That wasn't a showcase of how powerful Pikachu had become; it was simply terrible, terrible writing.

i loved generation III it was so awesome. i had firered, and it seemed way to much like playing the original fire, but its supose to be sorta... mostly i just dont like remakes unless theres a lot of different things in the game from the original..
    PM ME, and ill give you FC, because i have 2 Ds's and 2 different games...
     /l、
    (゚、 。 7
     l、 ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ
    PET MY KITTY

Oh, another issue with generation III that bugged me a bit: it started the descent into the vast ocean of legendary Pokémon. Generation I had 5, generation II had 6, but generation III had 10 and it all went downhill from there.

Again, to reiterate: it may be my least favorite generation, but it still did a ton for the series.

is confusing your Pokémon Zangoose Vamoose's Avatar

- Too many useless HMs
    - Too many water routes
    - Too many bland and samey legendaries
    - Slightly lacking in plot and direction.
    - At the beginning, there's a lot of backtracking through places you've already been several times before
    - Didn't like the font, it seemed too squashed together
    - Pokemon which would be awesome if they weren't fatally flawed (I'm looking at YOU Aggron)
    - Starters weren't quite balanced. Marshtomp and Blaziken get kick-ass dual type abilities whereas Sceptile remains stuck in a pure-grass rut.

That said, I'm still playing and enjoying Ruby. I can just find it a little frustrating at times.

National Dex - 444/493

Too many water routes, and dive. Those two things were annoying, but other than that I enjoyed playing trough those games. Just played trough my Ruby again a few months ago too.

Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast