Why do so many people hate gen III?

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Why do so many people hate gen III?

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Default Why do so many people hate gen III?

Or at least consider it "the worst of the series"? I personally really like Gen III and it's my favourite generation. Just look at the good things it brought us: abilities, natures, contests, diffrent berries you can plant yourself, an easy to use box interface, way better looking graphics then before, more stuff to do with multiple players like record mixing, contests and berry blending, secret bases, and the battle frontier in emerald. The only negative thing I can think of is that it doesn't have any evolutions of pokemon from previous generations. So then why do so many people still dislike it?
    Eeveeanne and Porygon2 like this.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do so many people hate gen III?

I saw a few people labeling R/S as too short... too easy. Apparently, a few Pokémon didn't look like Pokémon at all. Also, the games started afresh (no Pidgey, no Rattata, no Kanto, etc.)... and that's about it. I personally LOVED these games. Hoenn is my favorite region, so yeah.

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

I didn't have a problem with it, but there was complaints about the water routes being too big.

Blog Entries

It was for me mainly because fof the water routes being everywhere.

Blog Entries

I didn't particularly hate the 3rd gen, it's just my least favorite of them all. It didn't really have as much appeal to me as the 1st, 2nd, and 4th (sort of) did to me. The 3rd gen did have its perks, like abilities and what not, but it's got to the one that I enjoyed the least of the gens.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

I did not hate it, my favourite gen so far, maybe it was to do with R/S "starting fresh" with the Gen III, trying to redo everything from the start, with a blak canvis as it were, Gen III had only two preevolutions or post evolutions to existing pokemon, basically all new ones except wynaut and azurill, but IMO Gen III introduced very good pokemon.

Lack of things to do. After E4 all you had is Battle tower and contests and even with battle tower you had to have your pokemon at either lv50 or 100, for lv50, no higher which I am glad was sorted in D/P

No Day/Night system

Only one swarm of pokemon, after E4 surskit swarmed and that was it

I know people complained about water routes, but what do you expect from an island, sand everywhere?

Here is an interview about RS that might explain a few things: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=91965

Here are some good points:

For an advanced game, Ruby and Sapphire doesn't have spectacular graphics, it's a little basic. Could you explain why you have chosen these kind of simple graphics?

Mr Sugimori: Yes actually we had a reason for making these graphics simple this time. The basic graphics may simultaneously limit and enhance gameplay, for example if a map is very realistic, it might become more complicated, and then it would be hard for players to understand where to go next. However, an unrealistic map may not work as a good guide, so some of the realistic graphics may cause some limitations to the games. That's why we have kept these graphics more simple this time, and also in the battle scenes, if we had made the back of the battle scenes more realistic, it might point out where the battle was and so when you draw, you have to be more precise. That's why we didn't make it complicated.
    I would like you to explain to our readers how did you use the Pokemon be featured in Ruby and Sapphire? With a complete new set of Pokemon, why did you include some and not all of the previous Pokemon?

Mr Sugimori: We try to balance on that account. Numbers is the most important aspect in this game and it would be hard for players to collect all Pokemon, but if the players can't really collect lower numbers of Pokemon, that makes the game more simple and not so interesting. So the number is very important. And in this new Pokemon game we wanted to add more new Pokemon, but there are many players who like all Pokemon from the previous games. So we try to balance on that also.

Which main features would you have liked to include in the new games, and for reasons of time, memory or any other reasons you cannot include finally?

Mr Masuda: Because the memory programmes are limited we couldn't add one aspect to this new game that we would have liked. We could not make one Pokemon make three sounds, for example we would have liked Pikachu to make two different kinds of sounds. When he is happy he may say "Pika", but when he is feeling sad he makes a little sound "Pikachu". We wanted to make more different sounds. We wanted a Pokemon to create many different kinds of sounds depending on the feelings that Pokemon is having.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

It introduced the worst Pokémon compared to the other three batches, had too much water, and didn't even have all the Pokémon until FireRed and LeafGreen came out. I liked generation 3, but just less than 1, 2 and 4.
    BlackGroudon likes this.

The sun? Thats the hottest place on earth!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleet View Post
    It introduced the worst Pokémon compared to the other three batches, had too much water, and didn't even have all the Pokémon until FireRed and LeafGreen came out. I liked generation 3, but just less than 1, 2 and 4.
    Well many liked the Gen III pokemon, but not everyone did and I think thats why people thought FR/LG was created, so you could have Gen I and II pokemon in R/S by trading them over as their data was in RS filling the national dex.

Thanks Felly for banner

^That was close to me. Interesting

Blog Entries

If not for Sceptile, Armaldo and Kecleon, it would've been crap to me.

Blog Entries

I loved Generation III. Hoenn was a refreshing change from your typical region, I loved the new Pokemon, and the fact that many old Pokemon got the boot was fixed with games like Colosseum, XD, FireRed, and LeafGreen. I loved many of the innovations, like abilities and secret bases. And graphicwise, I really couldn't imagine anything better at the time of their release (at least for a handheld Pokemon game)

Really, I think many of the people who didn't like Generation III didn't give it much of a chance.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Psyburn View Post
    If not for Sceptile, Armaldo and Kecleon, it would've been crap to me.
    yeah, if you think so please say WHY you hate it. That's the reason why I made this topic in the first place. To see WHY some people hate it.

I actually never played R/S... I played and beat FIre Red, though. It was nice.

I guess the game didn't appeal to me because it just seemed so foreign. A lot of the pokemon looked like robots or just really weird/ugly. Also surfing around on water so much of the time is kind of annoying. I might someday go pick up a copy of Ruby, but I'm not sure. I don't really mind missing out on that game.

Blog Entries

All the water was kinda annoying indeed, I just don't like surfing that much. Didn't like the diving either.

I liked the pokemon though, nothing wrong with those.

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I liked Hoenn, but I didn't like Gen III. There were a couple reasons for this, but most of them come from the fact that it wasn't compatable with previous generations. How many people who played Gen II were sad when they found out that you couldn't transfer Red Gyrados or some of your other cool pokemon? Also, because they tried to limit the number of pokemon, some of the ideas behind the pokemon got re-used partially. Feebas was a rarer Magikarp. Ralts was Abra without teleport. They re-used the concepts behind these pokemon and how you interact with them. What's the point of new pokemon if not all of them are unique in concept? Finally, Gen III just expanded on previous ideas instead of bringing in new ones. Secret bases from the room in GSC, 2 v 2 battles were just an expansion, etc. It was just more of everything instead of new things.
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Loud and clear, 524 Starlight the ampharos's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ralts was Abra without teleport.
    I haven't played Gen III yet (planning to get Emerald and FireRed soon, and get the others for dongle mode), but their not very similar. I mean, there can be more than one humanoid psychic type.
    "Life is like a box of chocolates... Full of nuts."

Page 1 of 68 1231151 ... LastLast