Why do people call her Leaf? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Thread: Why do people call her Leaf?

  1. #16
    Registered User Porygon2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Hidden data in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald identifies the character as Leaf. Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    I don't think that's the reason, might be a coincidence. Otherwise we'd be calling blue "Terry"

  2. #17

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Hidden data in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald identifies the character as Leaf. Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    I wonder if "Terry" means something? Terry was the nickname of the Nidorina from the in-game trade in Red / Blue Versions... it's probably an in-joke between the game developers (that, or it's just a common name, lol). Not sure why Blue would be coded under that name, but as you say, these names don't really mean anything officially. In Red / Blue Versions, Red is coded as Ninten and Blue is coded as Sony, and those aren't their official names.



    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Because she wasn't given an actual name, since the female trainer in FR/LG isn't considered as canon according to HG/SS. It's because "Leaf" sounds more feminine.
    What indication is there that she's not canon? Just because her and Red never appeared simultaneously in any of the games doesn't mean they aren't both canon.

  3. #18
    追放されたバカ
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,049
    Blog Entries
    137

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    What indication is there that she's not canon? Just because her and Red never appeared simultaneously in any of the games doesn't mean they aren't both canon.
    Both genders have to appear in some form in the game if you play as one of them, like they did with Brandan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Hillbert, and Hilda. Only Red appeared in the sequel and not Leaf.

  4. #19

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Porygon2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Hidden data in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald identifies the character as Leaf. Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    I don't think that's the reason, might be a coincidence. Otherwise we'd be calling blue "Terry"
    It's not a coincidence. The name "Leaf" for the FR/LG Girl Player Character caught on because of the hidden data. Since we didn't have any other name for her, and it's not a relatively bad one, it's not hard to believe.

    "Terry" on the other probably didn't catch on because 1) We already had a name for Blue/Green/Gary/etc and/or 2) It's not a very cool name.

  5. #20

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    What indication is there that she's not canon? Just because her and Red never appeared simultaneously in any of the games doesn't mean they aren't both canon.
    Both genders have to appear in some form in the game if you play as one of them, like they did with Brandan, May, Lucas, Dawn, Hillbert, and Hilda. Only Red appeared in the sequel and not Leaf.
    I still don't see why both have to appear. That's just a pattern, not a requirement. Not even a pattern, really, because May / Brendan was the Rival so she / he kind of had to appear and Hilda / Hilbert didn't appear except in an optional cameo. They very well could have thrown Leaf / Red in as a cameo.



    Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Porygon2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Hidden data in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald identifies the character as Leaf. Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    I don't think that's the reason, might be a coincidence. Otherwise we'd be calling blue "Terry"
    It's not a coincidence. The name "Leaf" for the FR/LG Girl Player Character caught on because of the hidden data. Since we didn't have any other name for her, and it's not a relatively bad one, it's not hard to believe.

    "Terry" on the other probably didn't catch on because 1) We already had a name for Blue/Green/Gary/etc and/or 2) It's not a very cool name.
    But isn't Leaf a default name? But I'm pretty sure Terry can;t even be seen without hacking the ROM. I find it more likely that the name comes from an official source (even if it's not her official name per se), not from something obscure hidden in the game's data which no one even knows about.

    Speaking of that, why is Blue's main default name in FireRed listed as Green? Is that an error? Green is correct in Japan but why wasn't it changed to Blue for the American release? Blue is his official name as well as his name in all the other games that he appears in...

  6. #21
    Cheers to the Freeze Luna Tiger's Avatar Bulbapedia Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Black City
    Posts
    8,605
    Blog Entries
    422

    Follow Luna Tiger on Tumblr

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    But isn't Leaf a default name? But I'm pretty sure Terry can;t even be seen without hacking the ROM. I find it more likely that the name comes from an official source (even if it's not her official name per se), not from something obscure hidden in the game's data which no one even knows about.

    Speaking of that, why is Blue's main default name in FireRed listed as Green? Is that an error? Green is correct in Japan but why wasn't it changed to Blue for the American release? Blue is his official name as well as his name in all the other games that he appears in...
    Leaf is one of the numerous in-game default names she has (including Red, Green, and Fire), yes.

    And he's listed as 'Green' (in FireRed only), because that's how the early default names go: they always color-correlate and he wouldn't be defaulted to Blue simply because it's his 'official English name'. To default the rival to 'Blue' is silly when neither game is 'Blue'.

    And the reason Terry would not catch on is because, yes, Blue /did/ have a real default name. Terry was also /not/ on any of his name lists, unlike Leaf's,who is only default by proxy.
    Avatar artwork by アカネ
    PRIA is my haunt, 45500 is my identity,
    the black stronghold is my fortress.

  7. #22
    Registered User Caitlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    I call her Leaf because it's an adorable name.

    And mostly because the whole Green/Blue thing IS a confusing mess to casual fans of the series, or even worse those fans who yell and scream at you for calling the "Gary" character "Blue" because that's not his Japanese name. I can not be bothered to deal with those people, so I don't even try the Green/Blue debate and instead opt for the name that most people have agreed on, that being Leaf.

    My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

  8. #23

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    I still don't really see where all the confusion is coming from... "Gary" in the games has always been called Blue and the "thief girl" from the manga has always been called Green in all official non-Japanese sources. Unless you're referring to fan translations of the manga which use the Japanese names or something...

  9. #24
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Follow Robo-Floatzel on Tumblr Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    I always thought they called her Leaf to separate her from the Green/Blue in the Manga, I call her Green rather than Blue because I go by western translations rather than the Japanese translations, primarily because I read the original saga of the Pokemon Adventures Manga when it was originally translated in Left-to-right English back in the late 90's (even though I didn't know what Pokemon was until about 2002), but I still call the manga "Pokemon Special" because I don't like the name "Pokemon Adventures" to be honest.

    As for the game character Leaf, I still call her Green, because I feel more comfortable with the name than calling her Leaf, mainly because I always use the manga names for the first gen protagonists, though sometimes I refer to Blue/Green as "Gary Oak", primarily because I knew of Gary first, but often refuse to refer to Red as "Ash Ketchum", primarily because of my opinion on Ash's character in the anime when compared to Red's character in the manga, but that's another topic.

    I treat Kris and Lyra in a similar manner to Leaf/Green, because I really did not like how they replaced Kris with Lyra, so I just ignored it and considered Kris and Lyra to be the same person, just with an updated design to match the current generation.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  10. #25

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I always thought they called her Leaf to separate her from the Green/Blue in the Manga, I call her Green rather than Blue because I go by western translations rather than the Japanese translations, primarily because I read the original saga of the Pokemon Adventures Manga when it was originally translated in Left-to-right English back in the late 90's (even though I didn't know what Pokemon was until about 2002), but I still call the manga "Pokemon Special" because I don't like the name "Pokemon Adventures" to be honest.
    There was a left-to-right version? I just started reading it but mine's a newer copy so it's right-to-left... personally I don't like left-to-right all that much. Everything I read is right-to-left so when a left-to-right thing comes along then rading it is awkward, plus the pictures sometimes look odd after being mirrored.

    I treat Kris and Lyra in a similar manner to Leaf/Green, because I really did not like how they replaced Kris with Lyra, so I just ignored it and considered Kris and Lyra to be the same person, just with an updated design to match the current generation.
    Me too, I hate that they completely ignored Kris and came out with a new character. Mostly because it was completely unnecessary. And there was nothing wrong with Kris to begin with.

  11. #26

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    To those who are saying it's to not create confusion between her and Blue, then why on the site is she still called Leaf?

    If you look up up Blue's page you see Blue in big letter, I mean Green is still there but it's in small letters an is clearly listed as the Japanese name.

    Why do then do they still have to call Green, Leaf? How would somebody get confused from a character being clearly labeled Green and another clearly labelled Blue? I know, it's because people still call her Leaf but maybe if the wiki made it more clear who was who then there wouldn't be such an argument.

    And as Xenidal said, most people do recognize Blue as the guy and Green as the girl. Even those who choose to use the Japanese usually have the kindness to point out if they mean the English or Japanese (obviously, this doesn't included the people who expect you to have memorized every single Japanese name for some reason).

    Though, I don't really even understand the point of that anymore. If people really want to use the Japanese names why don't they call Red レッド, Green グリーン, and Blue ブルー. It would make much more sense.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    From: POKéMON RESEARCH TEAM.
    That couldn't have ended well.

  12. #27
    Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sinnoh Region
    Posts
    1,575
    Blog Entries
    5
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Follow Robo-Floatzel on Tumblr Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I always thought they called her Leaf to separate her from the Green/Blue in the Manga, I call her Green rather than Blue because I go by western translations rather than the Japanese translations, primarily because I read the original saga of the Pokemon Adventures Manga when it was originally translated in Left-to-right English back in the late 90's (even though I didn't know what Pokemon was until about 2002), but I still call the manga "Pokemon Special" because I don't like the name "Pokemon Adventures" to be honest.
    There was a left-to-right version? I just started reading it but mine's a newer copy so it's right-to-left... personally I don't like left-to-right all that much. Everything I read is right-to-left so when a left-to-right thing comes along then rading it is awkward, plus the pictures sometimes look odd after being mirrored.
    Actually, yes there was a left-to-right version, released by VIZ back in the 90's, unfortunately, they cancelled it after the Yellow chapter ended because Alfred R. Kahn, the dictator president of 4Kids entertainment, who dubbed the Pokemon anime at the time, made his infamous claim that "kids don't read and that manga made them stupider", and VIZ media shut down the Pokemon Adventures translation as a result. After 10 years of constant petitions from the fandom, VIZ said "Alright, alright, we get it!" and re-relased the R/B/Y chapters of the manga (in their original 90's translations), this time, in their original right-to-left format (though with a few edits here and there), and it took the release of HG/SS for them to translate the G/S/C chapter. Unfortunately, they skipped to the D/P chapter soon after (mainly to keep up with the current games), and never translated the R/S/FR/LG/E chapters of the manga for some reason.

    I treat Kris and Lyra in a similar manner to Leaf/Green, because I really did not like how they replaced Kris with Lyra, so I just ignored it and considered Kris and Lyra to be the same person, just with an updated design to match the current generation.
    Me too, I hate that they completely ignored Kris and came out with a new character. Mostly because it was completely unnecessary. And there was nothing wrong with Kris to begin with.
    I heard that Kris was an "exclusive" character, and that Lyra is the TRUE female protagonist of Johto, which is a major turn-off for many, I personally do not believe it myself.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

    CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

  13. #28

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Though, I don't really even understand the point of that anymore. If people really want to use the Japanese names why don't they call Red レッド, Green グリーン, and Blue ブルー. It would make much more sense.
    My guess is that katakana is harder to type.
    That, and many of these fans (the non-Japanese speaking ones anyway) probably get their information from fan sites rather than Japanese sources. And the katakana (and romaji for that matter) aren't even always posted on such fan sites. So if the fan sites say it's "Green" (and don't use the words "グリーン"or "Guriin"), then "Green" is what fans will call him. In other words, not everyone who says "Green" even knows that his in-game Japanese name is "グリーン".

  14. #29
    Registered User Porygon2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blazaking EX View Post

    It's not a coincidence. The name "Leaf" for the FR/LG Girl Player Character caught on because of the hidden data. Since we didn't have any other name for her, and it's not a relatively bad one, it's not hard to believe.

    "Terry" on the other probably didn't catch on because 1) We already had a name for Blue/Green/Gary/etc and/or 2) It's not a very cool name.
    I mean that's probaly not the only reason fans call leaf leaf, they probably took that name from "LeafGreen"

  15. #30

    Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coolcatkim22 View Post
    Though, I don't really even understand the point of that anymore. If people really want to use the Japanese names why don't they call Red レッド, Green グリーン, and Blue ブルー. It would make much more sense.
    My guess is that katakana is harder to type.
    That, and many of these fans (the non-Japanese speaking ones anyway) probably get their information from fan sites rather than Japanese sources. And the katakana (and romaji for that matter) aren't even always posted on such fan sites. So if the fan sites say it's "Green" (and don't use the words "グリーン"or "Guriin"), then "Green" is what fans will call him. In other words, not everyone who says "Green" even knows that his in-game Japanese name is "グリーン".
    Well yeah, but if the katakana is too difficult couldn't they just spell with English letters. You know, say Guriin instead of グリーン. And if they are going through all the efforts to learn the Japanese names then should take the time to learn the actual actual names instead of just the English sources version of the names.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    From: POKéMON RESEARCH TEAM.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •