Why do people call her Leaf?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why do people call her Leaf?

hi

Default Why do people call her Leaf?

I mean, what's so bad with calling her Green (or if you like using the Japanese names, Blue)? Okay, I get it, if you don't pick a name for her she's called Leaf, but that's doesn't mean with have to call her that does it?

Other characters have default names too, like Silver default name can be Silver, Gold, Soul or Heart (depending on the version), so why don't we call him Soul then? Probably, because it's more awkward, right? Well I think Leaf is just as awkward.

And it wouldn't bug me so much except people insist you have to call her Leaf and I much rather call her Green (or even Blue). At least Green goes along with the other two's names. I mean, if your going to call her Leaf why don't you call Red, Fire and Blue, Water or something.
    Computer: There's an e-mail message! ... The 3 legendary bird POKéMON are ARTICUNO, ZAPDOS, and MOLTRES. Their whereabouts are unknown. We plan to explore the cavern close to CERULEAN.
    That couldn't have ended well.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do people call her Leaf?

That's actually kinda good question. If I had to guess, it's because she originated from LeafGreen, and calling her LeafGreen would sound extremely stupid. Unlike Red and Blue, who originated from an earlier time.

Blog Entries

It's also because calling her Green or Blue would make it easy to confuse her with the male rival, who is referred to by both those names, if there wasn't enough context. Also, she was never in any games with "Blue" in the title, so calling her that doesn't make much sense anyway.

Is Leaf even an official name? I wasn't aware that she had one... did she ever appear in any game as something other than a playable character? That's how we know what Red, Blue, and Silver's names are, and Gold and Kris's names were assumed due to Silver's name being official.

As for why people call her Leaf rather than Green... probably to distinguish her from Green (the thief in the Pokémon Adventures manga) who may have been her counterpart but had a completely different backstory... they aren't even really the same character.
    Also, Leaf makes sense because Green implies that she was from Generation I, which she wasn't. Even if the rumor is true that she was planned to be a playable character but never ended up in the game for whatever reason, she still didn't exist in game-form, so she wasn't a Generation I character.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar

Probably to show that she was not in Red/Blue/Green

Top game series: Pokémon, Mass Effect, Mario, Sonic, Batman Arkham, Ace Combat, Forza, GTA, Sly Cooper, etc

Personally, I call her "Fire", only because I severely dislike the BS notion that all girls have to be second/third version. >> I called the FRLG hero "Leaf" for that same reason, though THAT is because I think RBY and FRLG are different people. I gleefully ignore what's official and "canon", but I know others don't, so I don't let people calling the FRLG heroine Leaf bother me too much.
    Reila likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Idk. Maybe because that is her somehow best name. I still call her green though.
    Please call me LT, not XX or whatever. Thanks.

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

It's probably because her first appearance is in FRLG, and Leaf is more feminine than Fire. As others have said, the rival is know as Green and Blue so calling her Leaf also prevents more confusion. Think of it like Lyra, you wouldn't call her Crystal because she's not Crystal, that is the female protagonist from Crystal. There was an unused female planned for RBY, but she had a vastly different design.

Blog Entries

Gold's offical name is actuallt Ethen/Ethan as for Leaf... it's to aviod confusion Because Blue is called Green in Japan.. so they couldn't call her Green...
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

I'm thinking it has nothing to do with reducing confusion. No one is confused that the boy's name is Blue, despite the fact that in Japanese his name was Green. The non-Japanese fans who refer to the girl as Blue and the boy as Green make up a relatively small amount of the fanbase, very few of these fans would be confused by giving her the remaining name of the 3 colors, and I don't think that the localization team even really cares when choosing the names anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Gold's offical name is actuallt Ethen/Ethan
    That's right, they started using more realistic-sounding names back in Ganeration III. Hmmm... I wonder why Leaf is "Leaf" at all and not something entirely different (something more normal-sounding)?

On a sidenote - Is it just me, or should the names have remained related to the game titles? Male heroes: Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond (although that name seems quite girly, as does Pearl...), and Black... rather than Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, and Hildan (or whatever the Black Version guy's name was...)
    Last edited by Xenidal; 6th September 2012 at 10:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xenidal View Post
    I'm thinking it has nothing to do with reducing confusion. No one is confused that the boy's name is Blue, despite the fact that in Japanese his name was Green. The non-Japanese fans who refer to the girl as Blue and the boy as Green make up a relatively small amount of the fanbase, very few of these fans would be confused by giving her the remaining name of the 3 colors, and I don't think that the localization team even really cares when choosing the names anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    Gold's offical name is actuallt Ethen/Ethan
    That's right, they started using more realistic-sounding names back in Ganeration III. Hmmm... I wonder why Leaf is "Leaf" at all and not something entirely different (something more normal-sounding)?

On a sidenote - Is it just me, or should the names have remained related to the game titles? Male heroes: Red, Gold, Ruby, Diamond (although that name seems quite girly, as does Pearl...), and Black... rather than Red, Ethan, Brendan, Lucas, and Hildan (or whatever the Black Version guy's name was...)
    No I prefer the normal names... Leaf doesn't have a normal name because neither do Red or Blue(Green)... and before their names are revealed people call the Plater Characters by the game names (ex: Hilbert/Hilda were called Black/White before their Japanese names were revealed)
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Because she wasn't given an actual name, since the female trainer in FR/LG isn't considered as canon according to HG/SS. It's because "Leaf" sounds more feminine.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Hidden data in FireRed, LeafGreen and Emerald identifies the character as Leaf. Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    First time I've heard that... Could you share your source on that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by YamiiDenryuu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchipedia View Post
    Of course, related data also identifies Blue as "Terry", so eh.
    First time I've heard that... Could you share your source on that?
    I think he read that in the source code of the games because I have read it in there as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast