Why did Green's Raticate disappear? - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Why did Green's Raticate disappear?

I! AM NOT! A MORON! Sith Droideka's Avatar

Default Re: Why did Green's Raticate disappear?

Actually what happened was that Green's prize money was from his dinner fund. So that night, he was very hungry, he had a fire and a spit, and as his stomach rumbled his eyes fell on his plump Raticate, gorging itself on some cheap Pokéfood...

The real answer is go read "Rival's Story".
    ALL Pokémon Are EQUAL, But SOME Pokémon Are MORE EQUAL Than Others

Oceania is at war with Eurasia Eastasia Eurasia Eastasia, and has always been at war with them!

WAR IS PEACE. FREEDOM IS SLAVERY. IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH. GOD IS POWER.

Next PolySci/Econ Test: November 8, 2016; Your crash-course will begin January 2013.

Galvantula ≥ Kyurem > Mewtwo > Arceus

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In my normal playthroughs, Gary/Blue simply realized that there were better Pokémon than Raticate and boxed it. In a Nuzlocke context, it died and he's there to pay his respects, because he's only a dick on the outside.

Considering Gary/Blue's Personality, he absolutely would be the kind of person to Immediately Abandon (not release) a Pokemon at the slightest disappointment in it. Just because he boasted that he had caught 40 Pokemon by that point doesn't mean that he KEPT them all. Somehow, Collecting Pokemon doesn't seam like it would be his favorite pass-time and His idea of "training" was trying to Catch already Strong Pokemon and didn't strike me as the type to invest much effort in Actual Training them. I'd be willing to bet he would sooner Abandon a Pokemon he'd consider to be "weak" before he's spend the time and Effort in working it to death.

Though, on a Side note, if we take the Anime as any indication of Canon, One of the main past-time of the Partyers on the Ship was Trading. If he had the Opportunity to "trade-up," I'm willing to bet he would of in a heart-beat.

So, my bet would be that he Abandoned it. If not that, then he traded it. Boxing it or Working it to death just isn't Blue's style.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

He either ditched Raticate or pu it in his box, is it that hard to piece it together? I did at 8 or so.

I believe Green says, just before the battle, that he can at least make your Pokémon faint, so, if he himself had a Pokémon that got killed just by fighting, why would he say that, also, Raticate was a Raticate, I don't think pre-development Green (if we can call it development at all...) would have cared about this Pokémon at all.

Or it was fed to Giovanni's Persian.
    Last edited by Owain; 2nd December 2012 at 01:46 PM.

its didnt disapear he just boxed it because that kadabra was clearly more useful

Oh, not this theory again

Green bred his Pokémon for fighting, and to build a better team. Face it, when it comes to having a team that can beat the Gyms and the Elite Four, Raticate is one of those C-list Pokémon you always heard about in the cartoon and those kids on the playground that trained one since they found it on Route 2.

ESPURR INTENSIFIES. MegaDinoBlaze's Avatar

Green's Raticate disappeared because it got beaten by Red one to many times, and he was in the pokemon tower to ambush mourning trainers. He's Gary Motherflippin Oak, and he does that.
    X Team:
    Greninja(Frubble),Simisage(Sage),Charizard(Flamey)Aurorus(Aurora),Aerodactyl(Aeron),Lucario(Anubis)
    Y Team:
    Chesnaught(Chip),Talonflame(Arrow),Blastoise(Typhoon),Meowstic(Kit),Tyrantrum(Tiny),Avalugg(Bergster )

Froakie is the cutest. THING. EVER.

Considering Gary/Blue's Personality, he absolutely would be the kind of person to Immediately Abandon (not release) a Pokemon at the slightest disappointment in it. Just because he boasted that he had caught 40 Pokemon by that point doesn't mean that he KEPT them all. Somehow, Collecting Pokemon doesn't seam like it would be his favorite pass-time and His idea of "training" was trying to Catch already Strong Pokemon and didn't strike me as the type to invest much effort in Actual Training them. I'd be willing to bet he would sooner Abandon a Pokemon he'd consider to be "weak" before he's spend the time and Effort in working it to death.

Though, on a Side note, if we take the Anime as any indication of Canon, One of the main past-time of the Partyers on the Ship was Trading. If he had the Opportunity to "trade-up," I'm willing to bet he would of in a heart-beat.

So, my bet would be that he Abandoned it. If not that, then he traded it. Boxing it or Working it to death just isn't Blue's style.
    Actually, if you take Anime as any indication, Blue WOULD box it. I remember an early episode where Ash catches some new Pokémon, and Oak shows off Gary's hundreds of boxed Pokémon (the number was over 150, so it's obvious that he caught more than one).

As for the "sixth Pokémon", I can't think of any trainer in RBY that has six except Blue at the very end.

Follow scarlettpeony on Tumblr

I have always been something of a fan of the theory of Gary's Raticate. It's not about being dark and edgy, it's about embracing the head canons and observations that people make during these games, things we hadn't thought of. As someone who has always loved a good story and like to see it in my games, I see it as an interesting concept. I mean the idea that we (Red) were responsible for the death of one of Blue's Pokemon is a clever manipulation of facts in the game. There is no way to prove either way that Raticate died, was boxed or released. If there is a loop hole for someone to create their own speculation - then let them have it. Considering all the consequences that surround Blue's appearance in the tower and the disappearance of Raticate, and the dark feel of the original Pokemon games, I think this is a brilliant Urban Myth in our fanbase.

So yes, I'm going to jump on the Gary's Raticate Theory and ride it on home to head-canon's ville. Not least because I'm an avoid Nuzlocker and the story if a gift to Nuzlockes. :)
    ShinySceptile1 likes this.

+ Black 2: 2581 1942 8822
    Serperior - Magmortar - Lucario - Zororak - Espeon - Vaporeon

Follow Peacherboy1 On Twitter Add Peacherboy1 on Facebook Add Peacherboy1 on Google+
    Visit Peacherboy1's Youtube Channel

I say he just releases raticate.

Bionicle = my first love Toa of Ponies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Golbat-Man View Post
    Maybe it died naturally and that was why Green was at the Pokemon tower. To bury it.
    .....In a computer
    pastafari likes this.

Saxophonist|PW:AA fan|Orchestra/Jazz player |K-On! fan|Pokemon Fan|
    My dragons! Please have a look and click!

Blog Entries

Visit SassyTyphlosion's Youtube Channel

I say that Blue/Green/Gary is a secretly a nuzlocker who broke the rules. The only exception is his Raticate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimori-Hinoarashi View Post
    Read Rival's Story by Gastlys Mama. It answers this question.
    Or read dialogue from the game where Green/Blue specifically states he's there looking for a Cubone :/

Raticate left his team because he got something better to replace it. He wasn't there because it died, he doesn't seem the type (at the time) to be mourning his Pokemon, and he certainly did not seem depressed about anything.
    Finally someone who actually pays attention to the in-game dialogue! This is said so perfectly that I don't have anything to add, or clarify.
    Kimori-Hinoarashi: Sounds like a fanfic to me, not canon.

Why would he be at the Pokemon Tower? Did he want to fight people? He doesn't seem to have caught any Pokemon unless he transfered them into his PC.
    Obviously. He had claimed to have captured 40 Pokemon by the time you battle him in Vermillion. Some of those were probably duplicates, nonetheless, he had 40 Pokemon and did not use a full team. He probably only used what he saw had potential for him to bother training.[/QUOTE]

Didn't he say that at Nugget Bridge?

"All of this sight, I can't believe I couldn't see. Kept in the dark, but you were there in front of me."

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I always figured that he just put it in his box. I don't think that I ever heard of the theory that it died and Blue was burying it until a few years ago online. I think it would be more likely that he released it than having it died, especially when he doesn't sound or act like he just buried his Pokemon when he talks to you there. He probably just thought he could have a better Pokemon on his team and boxed it along with the forty other Pokemon he caught.

Blog Entries

Have you trained a Raticate before? I grew one from 10-40, so I can safely say they suck.

I don't blame him for boxing it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast