Where is Generation III going?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is Generation III going?

Blog Entries

Default Where is Generation III going?

In the past year I have touched upon this subject to the point of mild (hopefully) obsession. My view has not changed since Diamond and Pearl took the place of the GBA games as the main series.

But it is because my opinion has not changed that it would be redundant of me to write down my thoughts on the matter for the upteenth time. I want to see what other fans think for a change - the less biased their opinion, the better.

Do you find that Diamond and Pearl render the GBA games obsolete? If not, how can these games retain a certain level of stature - the kind of which the GB games have lost?

In a nutshell, is Generation IV to Generation III as Generation III was to Generation II and Generation II was to Generation I?

Blog Entries

Actually no, I do not find Generation III games obsolete. In fact, I depend on my Japanese GBA games to trade TMs over on mules (Diablo II term for item storage people or in this case Pokémon) via Pal Park. I also still find the Generation III games very interesting, and will be replaying through at least Ruby when I get done with Diamond.

Heh, this person on YouTube who has put up some very impressive videos of him/her completely destroying in battles against the Frontier Brains in Emerald (and they seem legit) which has also increased my interest once again in the previous generation.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=fujisaki11
    Last edited by Nick; 27th December 2006 at 03:07 PM.

I fail to see why it matters. If you want to play a Generation III game... play it.

No need to whine on about it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Oak View Post
    I fail to see why it matters. If you want to play a Generation III game... play it.

No need to whine on about it.
    Is that for me or Unown Lord. If for me, pardon if the response seemed as though it was whining, I was just trying to make a point about my opinion. Sometimes my posts seem more vicious then they actually are, so pardon if there's any confusion caused over it.

Blog Entries

D/P depends on the previous gen for quite a bit of pokemon. It even expands on its TM list. Does this mean they like the third gen more? I don't think so. Does it mean they have something in mind? Unlikely. As far as I know, Gamefreak just knows the high importance backwards compatibility has. Albeit, for this gen, the link only goes one way; to the fourth gen. I have no problems with the third or fourth gen, I just think that all that can be said for the third gen has already been said, and there is no more to tell.
    Step into the Fairy circle

Blog Entries

I don't see anyone whining in this thread.

This is not a discussion about whether or not it makes sense to play the games. There is a long way to go before that becomes a real question.

This is a discussion about whether or not 2007 should see more of this . If Winter is any indication, players who have played Diamond and Pearl for long enough eventually return to their GBA games. Is it possible that the two generations will "co-exist" in that one series of games can replace the other once the play-time loses its freshness, then vice-versa, and so forth?

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I agree with Sceptile. D/P (using the dual slot function) does depend on GBA games quite a bit. And, Gen III still has a HUGE fanbase. But, worst case scenario, Gen III could become just, as Winter said, mules for filling the National Dex on D/P.

P.S: Remember, I said Worst Case Scenario.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

I see Gen III going where Gen II went when R/S came out.

Blog Entries

Gen II went into the drawer. Gen III will be going on the shelf. I say this because Gen III was not backwards compatible making Gen II near to redundant. D/P will still give R/S/E/FR/LG a workout.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Well, the same as GS being compatible with RBY did. I doubt we will have any "Gen III" games now, which I really don't get exactly what you mean by that.......

Blog Entries

Not going on Store shelves. Lol. I meant metaphorically. After R/S, Gen II became redundant so people put them away in their drawers. R/S/E will begoing on peoples shelves because they'll still be useful. That really wasn't metaphorical was it?

Facebook | Twitter | LJ

Ah, ok, I get it.

But I expect every game from now on too have Fouth Gen Pokemon in it as well. I highly doubt we will get anymore games just compatible with Gen III.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

I think the Battle Frontier saved Gen III from being pushed completely aside by Gen IV. I've seen Ruby and Sapphire in clearance bins, and FireRed and LeafGreen have gotten price cuts.

Blog Entries

The GBA games are no doubt intertwined in Generation IV as much as the GB games bore significance to Generation II. There is a major difference between the two generation families, though, which is the fact that Generation IV does not "rectify" Generation III--no one can argue that the GBA games are out of his league after having played Diamond and Pearl, which was actually an acceptable claim regarding Generation I at the time.

Generation III consists of 5 GBA entries and two complementrary GameCube games. It will be some time before the same number can be ascribed to Generation IV. That time will no doubt come, but as it stands Generation III offers a greater variety, justifying the usage of the term generation as opposed to simply "RS".

It is interesting to note that Game Freak had even more in plan for Generation III than what they had produced before shifting to Diamond and Pearl. This is rarely acknowledged when discussing the prospect of a third game to FireRed and LeafGreen--viewed as absurd by some, or as desirable for seemingly no reason by others. As for Game Freak, perhaps the following lines from the ending of Emerald have a meaning:
    And where will you go from here?
    ... ... ... ... ...
    ... ... ... ... ...
    Fufufu, even I couldn't tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Argy View Post
    I think the Battle Frontier saved Gen III from being pushed completely aside by Gen IV. I've seen Ruby and Sapphire in clearance bins, and FireRed and LeafGreen have gotten price cuts.
    Lord knows where you shop, but everywhere around here sells all the GBA main games at full price. That's R/S/Fr/Lg/E all at the full £35 whack.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast