What's Your Training Methods?

Thread: What's Your Training Methods?

Pokemon Master in College Miki-Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default What's Your Training Methods?

If I have a starter, then I usually train it ALOT until it reaches around lv.15-25 and then I start hitting the gyms. I think I did that in Pearl and Blue. I managed to get my Turtwig into a Torterra in about 2-5 days

If I have a Pokmemon at "baby level", I give it the Exp Share until it's about lv. 15-20 and then I start using it in battles to avoid constant fainting

Even if my Pokemon have lost a tiny amount of HP, I still take it to the Pokemon Centre

Well, my methods for the pre-elite four and after the elite four are a bit different.

With a pre-E4 team, I generally catch a whole team of six Pokemon, and type balance is one of the most importent aspects of my pre-E4 teams. Also, I put a cap on the levels, almost in a "No Pokemon Left Behind" act. If one of the Pokemon gets behind the others level-wise, I stop a bit and train with it until it's caught up.

The only exception to the level-cap rule is my starter, which I try to get as strong as possible.

After I beat the game, I have full range of the entire region. So I'll start off battling strong trainers with the old switch-in switch-out trick. When this stops being efficient, I'll take the Pokemon and start training it against wild Pokemon that are a few levels higher then it is for the best results. Normally I also train Pokemon one at a time in this case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miki-Fan View Post
    If I have a starter, then I usually train it ALOT until it reaches around lv.15-25 and then I start hitting the gyms. I think I did that in Pearl and Blue. I managed to get my Turtwig into a Torterra in about 2-5 days

If I have a Pokmemon at "baby level", I give it the Exp Share until it's about lv. 15-20 and then I start using it in battles to avoid constant fainting

Even if my Pokemon have lost a tiny amount of HP, I still take it to the Pokemon Centre
    There's no way in heck I would have the patience for that...

I always try to keep my pokemon around generally the same levels. I only really stop to train when I'm afraid (or sure, if I die and restore from a save) that my team, or any pokemon in it, is underleveled. Normally I play through the game without stopping, but not necessarily rushing. If I ever end up powerleveling, I swear it's an accident. *coughGoldandSilvercough* ^_^;

I also like to stop and level up before taking on the League, but in the spirit of impatience, I tend to challenge them too early. My first time beating the Sinnoh League, I had a team of like, mid to high 40s. .-.
    Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
    The same is true for the rest of your classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Tsutomu View Post
    What alarms?

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Armads View Post
    I also like to stop and level up before taking on the League, but in the spirit of impatience, I tend to challenge them too early. My first time beating the Sinnoh League, I had a team of like, mid to high 40s. .-.
    Yupyup, that's how it ends up happening with me, too.

Usually, I catch a team of six, trying to get as many of the early species as possible in the early game. I get them to maybe level 12 or 13 before I start on the gyms. My starter always has to be the highest level pokemon on my team, even if it's only by 1, and I always keep my starter on my team. I try and train in increments of 5 or ten levels -- that is, I have a team of level 30 pokes, and I train up my starter to level 36. When it hits 36, I go and train another poke to level 35, and so on. I used to try and train up 10 levels in between each gym (be at level 20 at the first gym, 30 at the second, etc.), but I just don't have the patience.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries
    Add Charizards Burn on Facebook
    Follow Charizards Burn on Tumblr Visit Charizards Burn's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_Dragonite View Post
    Yupyup, that's how it ends up happening with me, too.

Usually, I catch a team of six, trying to get as many of the early species as possible in the early game. I get them to maybe level 12 or 13 before I start on the gyms. My starter always has to be the highest level pokemon on my team, even if it's only by 1, and I always keep my starter on my team. I try and train in increments of 5 or ten levels -- that is, I have a team of level 30 pokes, and I train up my starter to level 36. When it hits 36, I go and train another poke to level 35, and so on. I used to try and train up 10 levels in between each gym (be at level 20 at the first gym, 30 at the second, etc.), but I just don't have the patience.
    Always happens to me has in every pokemon game i have ever owned especially in D/P.. I normally jsut get my team to evolve starting with my starter and so on.. Since my weakest is staraptor its his turn to get some training..
    << Credit goes to Felly For This Awesome Banner!

White 2 Friend Code: 0004 4607 7479 (Zaine)

I don't calculate stat values, nor do I care about natures. I just catch my Pokemon the way they are, and play the game normally. If you agree copy and paste this into your sig.

Blog Entries

I try to catch about 2 to 4 Pokemon before the 5th badge, that way, most of my team is trained good enough to beat most of the game. I might catch another one or two to get a total of six.

After I beat the Elite 4, I try to Nature train my Pokemon... so a lot of breeding.

Blog Entries

Since I trade to myself, I nature and EV train from the beginning. Usually my favorite pokemon is the strongest, and that's either an Elec. type. or a Dark type. (It's been pikachu and/or umbreon in every game except DP where it was Rentorra). However, I do try to keep them all within 5-10 levels of each other, so if one is getting too "weak" I'll give them and experience share, or go find trainers that use the type its strong against and fight them over and over again.
    Pre-E4 I have a set team, specifically for beating the E4.
    Post E4 it's ll about what's a cool pokemon to have strong.
    I use alot of UU pokemon. :D Most of my pokemon have high speeds and high or okay attack stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoKING View Post
    I would continue this battle of wits with you but you're obviously unarmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unown Lord View Post
    Deal with it.

says "yeah" a lot. Lawnmowergirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I plan my team the instant I choose my starter.
    The formula for my team is one grass-type, one fire-type, one water-type, one electric-type, one flying-type, and one rock, rock/ground, or ground-type. I pick which Pokemon I want on my team, and I catch each when I reach the area where it is found. I raise them as evenly as possible, within a few levels of each other, keeping my lineup with the lowest level at the top and the highest on the bottom, sending the first Pokemon to the end of the line when it exceeds the level of the second Pokemon. If the first Pokemon in my lineup has a type disadvantage, I switch out one with a type advantage. I tend not to train against wild Pokemon unless there aren't any trainers I can battle.

Once I get 7 badges, I look at my Pokemon's levels and if they're below 45, I raise them all up to at least 42 or 43 and then battle the 8th gym leader. I like for my Pokemon to be at least level 45 or 50 before I go into Victory Road, and at least level 50 or 55 (45 or 50, maybe 55 if it's a second gen game, since the league levels are lower, and about 55 in fourth gen since some of Cynthia's Pokemon are in the upper 60s level-wise). If I lose, I raise them all up to one level above the level of my highest-level party Pokemon and try again.

Before the 8th gym, I don't really stop to train unless I'm stuck real bad.
    Last edited by Lawnmowergirl; 7th October 2008 at 04:07 PM.

Morpheus♥Orange♥Contest♥HeatTag♥Wishful♥Rocket

deviantart|photobucket|pixiv|youtube|fanfiction|tumblr|shipping

Blog Entries

My pre E4 training method usually involves training a team to level 55-60, and then whalloping the E4. Post-E4, I take my starter, who's now a level 100, and use him to kill pokemon to EV train other pokemon. After they're EV trained, I go up to Stark Mountain to powerlevel, because a water-type demolishes everything up there, and there's a little house that heals you up once you're out of PP.

Live Long And Prosper... Wonder Happiny's Avatar
    On Paradise Island, playing Bullets and Bracelets
    Blog Entries

I usually rotate the pokemon in my party when I train. That is, when a pokemon gains a level, I switch it to the next pokemon and so on and so forth. That way, all six pokemon get equal training.

Credit goes to PlatinumDude for the sprite.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    In the family, all is silence. No more will be said of it. Live long and prosper, Sarek of Vulcan.

DOES IT VIA COPY/PASTE Æsahættr's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I plan my team before I start. My training style has me rasing my starter one or two levels above the next gyms highest. I then cycle my Pokémon and raise the others (starting with the weakest) to the same level. I always keep my Pokémon around the same level, but if one of them is one or two levels up, it'll be my starter.

Facebook | Twitter | LJ
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor
    One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine.

Blog Entries

Whe, I get a new pokemon, I like to EV train it by battling the right kind of Pokemon, and switch it out with other EV trained pokemon, so it doesn't grow too many levels at once. I let it hold the special braces while doing this. When EV training is done, I let my pokemon hold a Lucky egg, so its exp. doubles for every battle. I also let it battle pokemon that are at least 5 levels ahead of it, until possible. I do this until its at level 100. I may occasionally give it a rare candy, when I get one.

But before the Elite 4, I just try to get a well balanced team and get it all to level 55 (at least) before I face the Elite 4.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

To join in the fun, I claim Kokoromori :) 11-23-10

Before the Elite Four, I don't usually bother EV training much. I do, however, look for usable natures and make sure nothing REALLY stupid like Machop with Special Attack is floating around.

In earlier games I catch whatever I need, and dump them when something better comes and I have six good, varied fighters. In D/P, though, it's so much easier to level up, so I keep alot of different Pokemon, a combination of powerful ones, or ones I just like, even if they're not so good. I level up when I reach a new Gym or the Elite Four, and evolve ASAP unless it's a Stone evolution, where I wait until I have any needed moves.
    I usually go into Gyms or other Boss fights lower level then the leader's strongest. I also try to let as many different Pokemon fight as possible, as opposed to a full sweep. Makes it more interesting then choosing "Flamethrower" four times.

Post Elite Four, I start EV training, though in a different, worse way then most people. Beforehand I focus on Speed and Attack, but after it becomes much harder to ensure one-hit KO's, so I start raising defenses.
    "For a bunch of guys on a mission to save the world, you sure do love your detours."--Gig, Soul Nomad and The World Eaters
    Friend Code: 5241-3316-7599, character named Edward. Safari contains Marowak, Diggersby, and Trapinch. PM me if you want to exchange codes.

says "yeah" a lot. Lawnmowergirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by betagold View Post
    My pre E4 training method usually involves training a team to level 55-60, and then whalloping the E4. Post-E4, I take my starter, who's now a level 100, and use him to kill pokemon to EV train other pokemon. After they're EV trained, I go up to Stark Mountain to powerlevel, because a water-type demolishes everything up there, and there's a little house that heals you up once you're out of PP.
    Holy cow! That's exactly what I've been doing in Pearl, only with my Crobat. I used it to EV train my non-party Pokemon so they could evolve. Eventually it reached Level 100, and I've been using it near the Resort Area because pretty much everything there is weak to Flying and/or Poison attacks.

Morpheus♥Orange♥Contest♥HeatTag♥Wishful♥Rocket

deviantart|photobucket|pixiv|youtube|fanfiction|tumblr|shipping

Expectedly unexpected. Monblazon's Avatar

Before the Elite Four? I usually exclusively train my Starter and have only HM-slaves or Pokemon that I like for a particular reason in my party besides.

That way, if I catch some strong back-up Pokemon in Victory Road, I can squash the E4 using almost only my Starter. Then I begin serious team-building.