What do you miss most about the older games?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: What do you miss most about the older games?

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default What do you miss most about the older games?

Everyone probably remembers the good times they had playing the older games, what are some things you miss most about them? For me it's the simplicity, there were no EVs, IVs, Physical/Special split, etc, it was very basic, I kinda miss that.

I also miss when shinies first came about and they were super rare, you were lucky to run into them and it was exciting. No there's RNG, cloning, hacking etc and it can be hard to tell if legit or not unless you caught it yourself, I miss that feeling of finding something special and super rare.
    boabiol likes this.

Registered User Crimson Penguin's Avatar

Default Re: What do you miss most about the older games?

Everything said above. Good ol' times. Wait a sec, maybe ive got my old gbc somewhere, pokemon crystal. The only game I ever had on it lol.

~CP~

Follow Unendingfear On Twitter

EVs did exist in gen I, albeit in a different form.

To me, it'd be the sense of mystery everything had (as a I lacked consistent internet connection and the awareness that everything possible in regards to information existed there in when I first started). Especially the Ruins of Alph. Totally mysterious and creepy back then; still cool but much less so now. Other than that, I wouldn't really say anything.

Blog Entries

To me, it has to be the sense of not knowing what I was doing half the time. That, and not knowing some Pokémon evolve with stones(I'm looking at you Vulpix).
    cityvillain and Yato like this.
    White Friend Code: 4470-7985-3233
    White 2 Friend Code: 3010-6523-5582
    3DS FC: 2036-7773-9693

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Nothing.

Other than maybe the crappy sprites and the simplicity - no EVs, no happiness, no natures, no abilities.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Blog Entries

I really liked the unexpected surprises you'd get from the games. The Pokémon fandom on the Internet was growing back then, so everyone was in the dark about the hidden gems within. Imagine my surprise when I got a Tyrogue from a Blackbelt while exploring Mt. Mortar or finding the Sealed Chamber at Route 134 for the first time!
    cityvillain, Chiss and Yato like this.

The simple graphics, and the good design. The creepy and the cute Pokemon. Not having to EV train Pokemon. A bad thing about the old games however, is that special/physical was based on Type (good for Gyarados though, I think).
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Blog Entries

I missed beating the kanto elite 4, 4 times with only one pokemon all if different games.PIKACHU, VENUSAUAR, CHARIZARD and BLASTOISE and how hard lance was with his DUMB DRAGONS in CySTAL.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHippo95 View Post
    To me, it has to be the sense of not knowing what I was doing half the time. That, and not knowing some Pokémon evolve with stones(I'm looking at you Vulpix).
    What happened did you train one to lvl 100 or something?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post
    I missed beating the kanto elite 4, 4 times with only one pokemon all if different games.PIKACHU, VENUSAUAR, CHARIZARD and BLASTOISE and how hard lance was with his DUMB DRAGONS in CySTAL.

Quote Originally Posted by IceHippo95 View Post
    What happened did you train one to lvl 100 or something?

Close. Level 91. She knew Flamethrower, Quick Attack, Confuse Ray, and something else. That was the highest leveled Pokémon I ever had until SoulSilver. There was also a Level 81 Staryu too that knew Surf, Waterfall, Blizzard, and Psychic.
    White Friend Code: 4470-7985-3233
    White 2 Friend Code: 3010-6523-5582
    3DS FC: 2036-7773-9693

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nothing, everything is great...but what I do miss would've been universal for any game I'd played when i was little, and that's the sense of wonder and adventure I got from exploring with my team at my side. I remember getting my very first Pokémon, exploring all the cities, seeing my first Legendary. It was all new and wonderful for me, and no matter where I had explored first, from Johto to Unova, it can't be replicated exactly now that I'm older.

Blog Entries

Well, I did love how GSC games had two regions, both Kanto and Johto, and I wish they'd make another game that incorporated that, where after an adventure in one region, you got to go onto another one.

Official Claimer of the Pokemon Pumpkaboo | Official Claimer of the Move Trick-Or-Treat | Official Claimer of the Items Silph Scopeand Odd Keystone.
    If you like comedy, check out my fanfic "You Win Some, You Lose Some" (CHAPTER THREE UP!) | For some supplementary art, visit NG's Sketches 'n Stuff!

Grass-type fanatic Frenzy Plant's Avatar
    Follow Frenzy Plant On Twitter
    Follow Frenzy Plant on Tumblr

I miss not having to worry about natures. I don't play competitively, so I know I don't have to worry about natures, but I still do. I guess I just can't stand the idea of my Pokémon being less than they could be. Since the beginning of Gen IV I've been unable to just pick a starter then just catch Pokémon as I go. If I do use the starter, I soft reset until I get a good nature; and I use other games to breed the Pokémon wit the right natures I want for my team then trade them over while they're in their eggs so I don't need to worry about them not listening.

It's entirely my fault, but it's slowly ruining playing the games for me. I miss not feeling compelled to have the perfect natures.
    cityvillain likes this.
    I do regular Pokémon giveaways on Tumblr, click here and come trade with me!

I think the only thing I miss is the nostalgia feeling I don't get playing the newer games.

some kind of madness TwilightBlade's Avatar Moderator

I miss being able to find things on my own. I'm replaying HGSS, where NPCs practically hand me all the HMs, lol. It's just too easy. In the past, I would visit every house and explore more. Nowadays, the only buildings I really visit are the Pokemon Center and the Gym. Ask me about any cave in the DS games and I am clueless. I'm visiting side areas less and less. I'm not sure if I'm just a cynical adult now, or the extra areas lost their appeal.

I RNG abuse and all and I still freaking lose my mind when I see a random shiny. That will not change.
    trade station
    art gallery
    ❝In this world, there are things you have to protect even if your hands get stained with blood.❞

I miss how popular it was. Back then Pokemon would bring strangers together. Even if you had nothing in common with the other kids, you'd usually at least both like Pokemon. You would bring your gameboy and link cable everywhere because wherever you went there was bound to be a bunch of people who also played.

You can get a similar experience with cons, but it's just not the same as the Pokemania in the late 90's.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast