Weird beta names of Pokemon - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Weird beta names of Pokemon

Default Re: Weird beta names of Pokemon

Most of the names seem to be based of a simple word that we as little kids could have better understood

or you could say Gamefreak was lacking in the creative side, but honestly some of the names are more creative than the actual names i.e. Mr. Mime, I mean come on, "Mr.Mime"? thats the best they could do?

the best part is that female Mr.Mimes aren't called Ms. Mime, get it together Gamfreak

another example is voltorb

Volt Orb
    not very creative
    White 2:

OSHAWHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Vylek View Post
    Most of the names seem to be based of a simple word that we as little kids could have better understood

or you could say Gamefreak was lacking in the creative side, but honestly some of the names are more creative than the actual names i.e. Mr. Mime, I mean come on, "Mr.Mime"? thats the best they could do?

the best part is that female Mr.Mimes aren't called Ms. Mime, get it together Gamfreak
    That was Nintendo of America's doing, not the Japanese company Game Freak. The Japanese name Barrierd doesn't apply to a specific gender.

Although I do agree about Mr. Mime being a bad name. That's also one example of why I can't just have issues with the beta names.
    Seasons =/= Regions

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Mk-II View Post
    It's kind of interesting in that they were generally... simpler. In a way, truer to the Japanese ones (that are mostly really simple).

However they figured they seemed too generic. As in, generic RPG monster name; what you'd see in a traditional fantasy game:
    Nagaasp drew near!
    Dragyn cast Blizzard! It inflicted extreme damage to Parasyte!
    Because they figured they wanted to go a different route, with the monsters closer to the players, they decided to think up different names that reflected this.

Some are still pretty neat though. "Nagaasp" is much better than Arbok any day. (Naga, serpent deities, and Asp, a kind of snake, over... Cobra backwards with a k)

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    Finally, Dragoon and Dragyn...I still don't know exactly how these names would have worked.
    The extremely overused and generic "Dragoon" for which a quick search of the word will give you about five different franchises... does fit Dratini as it also comes from the "dragons associated with lagoons" myth.
    Dragyn... might be from Dragon+Wyvern or something. Still, it's another generic dragon name.
    It the translators didn't like generic names, why did they name Gorounya Golem? I've always wondered why they picked that name. If they couldn't come up with a new name, then why not just keep the old one, since it doesn't seem overused.

I don't have that much against generic monster names (I play Dragon Quest), but I'm glad that for Pokemon they keep the names as single words (like Parasect and not Parasitic Insect or something) although it would be nice to have something like that in the description (instead of "Mushroom Pokemon" in Parasect's description). One way to avoid getting generic names is to mix different languages, like the name Marumine containing the Japanses "maru" and the English "mine", and Magcargo that has both English and French in it. You can also take a name in English and pronounce it in Engrish; that's why I like Shawaazu and not Showers :)

EDIT:
    Nagaasp drew near!
    Dragyn cast Blizzard! It inflicted extreme damage to Parasyte!
    I like that one! They should try to make a Pokemon game in traditional fantasy style, perhaps set in another time with an entirely different kind of story. I would like to know how it feels playing that game. "Dragyn cast Blizzard" sounds cool.
    Last edited by Te-em; 17th October 2012 at 02:19 AM.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by clubchloe1 View Post
    Have you ever looked at the Bulbapedia article that shows the ENGLISH Beta names of Gen I Pokemon? Well, most of these names are weird (in my opinion), like Arbok's is "Nagaasp", like seriously? That sounds like what a Indian Pokemon name would be (not being racist at all, just these beta names are weird).
    Sadly that makes the most sense out of any of the names. It appears to be a mixture of ""Naga"/Nagini" and "Asp." Asps, of course, are a type of extremely venomous snake. A Nagini is not just the name of Voldemort's snake from Harry Potter; it's an actual mythical giant snake that also has the name "Naga"(I don't remember if Nagini is female and Naga is male, or if they're the same).
    Morru Magnum likes this.

Follow metalamor on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeparadox View Post
    Also theres a growlithe I found on another web and its beta name is Burnie
    YES. I would have named them all Bernie/Bernard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ness 4 the win
    Last edited by Joshawott; 21st October 2012 at 12:09 PM.

That...is weird. Strange I never knew that about the beta names (except for Tentacruel). Of course, what if they did go with the beta names? Would we still think they're weird?

Did anyone notice on the poster that the names Kokoon (Metapod) and Metapod (Kakuna) were reversed? I wonder if that was intentional or an error on the poster... probaby an error considering Kakuna's Japanese name was Cocoon and Metapod's Japanese name implied metamorphing the "pod".

Also, that poster has every name shortened to 8 letters. I wonder why... maybe that was originally going to be the way names appeared in-game? I mean, in the Japanese games each name only had 5 characters which is obviously too short for a Romanized name so maybe they increased it to 8 and then figured that names were still too short or something? Strangely enough, the player and rival's names each can only have 7 characters in the final version despite there being room reserved in the RAM for the other 3 characters... wonder what that's about?
    Last edited by Xenidal; 4th November 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries

ahah the Machop line's is terrible! I do like some better though, like Skulkraken. That is truly epic. I don't like the boring names from gen 1. Mr. Mime. Mr. Mime. Why. Volt orb. Magnet ton. Scythe r. Snake and Kobra reversed. Bulb dinosaur. Charred Salamander. Squirt turtle. Blast tortoise. Magic karp. Parasite insect. Meow. meow 2.

N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N N !!!!!!!!!!!

Follow Pika25 On Twitter
    Visit Pika25's Youtube Channel

I would have to agree with the whole "Mr.Mime" deal. I'd prefer Barrierd because a) it's gender-neutral and Mr.Mime is not, for a species that could be either gender equally likely; b) Barrier is its trademarked move, especially when seen in stadium. But then what to name Mime Jr. ...
    Pikachu is my favorite Pokémon.
    Go Pikachu!

Follow Combusken on Tumblr

I kind of like the name Tonguetyd (aka Lickitung), it's so...silly and lame.

Quote Originally Posted by johnr754 View Post
    Ness was one for Lapras.

Of course, Lapras was meant to be based off the Loch Ness monster, but I thought of EarthBound.
    Same. :>

Quote Originally Posted by Pokeparadox View Post
    Also theres a growlithe I found on another web and its beta name is Burnie
    Awwww...

EDIT: Wait, but in the Bulbapedia article it says that it was "Flamie"? http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Growlithe_%28Pok%C3%A9mon%29#Trivia

Winged man prefers night Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Skullkraken >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gyarados.

They dropped the name because it didn't fit on 10 characters. Then they named Feraligatr on the next gen, because Feraligator doesn't fit either. Oh, GF... Skulkraken (with one l) was still badass, didn't they think about that?
    Owain likes this.

Me verás volar por la ciudad de la furia...
    - Pokémon games are like boobs; designed for children, but more enjoyed by adults. (Someone on twitter)

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I actually remember coming across a list of Beta G/S/C and R/S (Japanese) names as well that was equally odd. Anyone remember that? I remember seeing one that translated to "steel swan" (probably became Skarmory), for instance. It may have been faked.

Apparently the dub name for Crawdaunt was originally Lobstar, too.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Knew most of these from their page's trivia

but yeah, Nagaasp and Skulkrakken are better than what we got.

Visit Shadowmilll's Youtube Channel

None of the beta names of the Gen I pokemon were really all that bad, they were just sort of unoriginal and based more on real word animals, like Tentacruel's original name
    Man-O-War.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12