Weird beta names of Pokemon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Weird beta names of Pokemon

Default Weird beta names of Pokemon

Have you ever looked at the Bulbapedia article that shows the ENGLISH Beta names of Gen I Pokemon? Well, most of these names are weird (in my opinion), like Arbok's is "Nagaasp", like seriously? That sounds like what a Indian Pokemon name would be (not being racist at all, just these beta names are weird). And Jigglypuff's beta name is seriously PUDDING, that sounds to gross and odd at the same time (same with Wigglytuff's, its CUSTARD). And Tentacool's is "Jilly"...? And Tentacruel's is "Man O War"...? Incase you didn't know, Cubone's is "Orphon"..so sad. But the actual interesting ones are Koffing and Weezing's, Koffing's is "Ny" (reflecting the polluted area's name, New York), and Weezing's is "La" (reflecting the name of Los Angles, which is still very polluted). Tangela's is "Meduza/Medusa" (Most likely "Medusa"). So yeah, Gen I beta names are weird.
    My White 2 friend code is: 0691 3073 3453
    PM me if you want to add me to your pal pad.

Clubchloe1- The Girl who has a Resolute forme Keldeo thats Level 82 with good EV's and is not afraid to use it

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Weird beta names of Pokemon

Yeah, I can agree that the final names were much better, but these beta names have nothing on the original Japanese names for the Gen 5 Pokemon, such as "Cocoon" for Kakuna, "Crab" for Krabby, and "Booster" for Flareon, among other vague English words. Yeah, it's obvious the English names were a major improvement.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

I poke your snoot UnovaCastaway's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Foxfire for Vulpix seemed a bit bland, but others like Skullkraken for Gyarados were epic.
    Owain likes this.

Somalian Anarchy Leader! Please Understand's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Please Understand on Tumblr Visit Please Understand's Youtube Channel

Ness was one for Lapras.

Of course, Lapras was meant to be based off the Loch Ness monster, but I thought of EarthBound.
    Pidgeot and Fair Verona like this.
    Why are you looking here? There is nothing here.

Certified Renard fanboy Magnagarde's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I thought Nagaasp was cool. Nagasp rolls off the tongue a bit more easily.
    Owain likes this.
    3DS FC: 2380-3776-6603

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a feeling this thread would need to be moved to the Lost Tower, seeming as we're talking previous generations.

On the topic itself, though, here's my thoughts:
    I find Sandslash's name to be amusing. It was known as "Sandstorm"...which later became a move inducing sandstorm weather in Generation II.
    Clefairy and Clefable have Aria and Ariala - interesting given that we now have Meloetta Aria Forme. (Edit: Just realised, their beta names of "Aria" live on in their final ones, with "Clef".)
    Paras had Parasyte - I wouldn't mind this name, actually, but I'm guessing it sounds a bit too gross for those familiar with what a parasite actually is. Paras simply made it less obvious.
    Hocus and Pocus...no guesses to who those were. Presumably their current names, Abra and Kadabra, were made when they got the name for Alakazam - said all in a sentence in order, it goes "Abracadabra...ALAKAZAM!"
    Kara-tee and Kung-foo are also amusing for the sheer fact that it sounds so ridiculous. Then there's Ju-doh.
    Man O War was presumably named because there's actually a jellyfish named as such - I can't remember the name of the species, but it exists. Search it up.
    Coil and Recoil, those names...if they stuck with them, what would Magnezone's name have been? Tescoil?
    Chansey's "Lucky" is a remant of the Japanese name, while they retain the same thematic of luck and chance.
    Ess and Kargo are there because of the Escargot food dish. Conversely, the other fossils are Att and Lantis. And Ptera is just a shortened name compared to the pun that awaited its current name.
    Finally, Dragoon and Dragyn...I still don't know exactly how these names would have worked.
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Blog Entries

Follow sweet insanity on Tumblr

Foxfire for Vulpix reminds me of a certain internet browser... Most of them are just common English words. Imagine if Sandslash really was called Sandstorm - "Sandstorm used sandstorm!" I think Jilly is the most stupid, what has that got to do with anything?

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Wow. Those all suck.

Pudding is evolving!
    Duhduhduhduhduhduh....
    Congratulations! Your Pudding evolved into Custard!
    Lol i wish they kept that name it would be so funny.
    VeggiePopper likes this.
    Please call me LT, not XX or whatever. Thanks.

Well, Purin means "Pudding", and Purin is Jigglypuff's Japanese name. Parasyte makes me think of an incredibly horrific and goretastic manga of the same name. :| Wish I never read it, damn my morbid curiosity.
    Owain likes this.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Terrible Blaziken no. 827 TerribleTwelve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Parasyte makes me think of an incredibly horrific and goretastic manga of the same name. :|
    Bulbapedia supports the idea as well.

@topic: Some of them are actually neat, like Nagaasp or Hocus and Pocus (which works as well as Foongus and Amoongus in Gen V). "Eon" would have been pretty smart too.
    I'm glad they didn't use the Japanese Gen I naming scheme of using random related-ish English words. (Sandstorm, Aria, Pudding, Custard, Blaze, Aqua, Aquanaut, Aquamarine, Gallop, Coil, Spirit, Spectre, Phantom, Sleeper)
    The twelve Pokémon that make the Pokémon world awesome.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's kind of interesting in that they were generally... simpler. In a way, truer to the Japanese ones (that are mostly really simple).

However they figured they seemed too generic. As in, generic RPG monster name; what you'd see in a traditional fantasy game:
    Nagaasp drew near!
    Dragyn cast Blizzard! It inflicted extreme damage to Parasyte!
    Because they figured they wanted to go a different route, with the monsters closer to the players, they decided to think up different names that reflected this.

Some are still pretty neat though. "Nagaasp" is much better than Arbok any day. (Naga, serpent deities, and Asp, a kind of snake, over... Cobra backwards with a k)

Quote Originally Posted by Wishmaker Jirachi View Post
    Finally, Dragoon and Dragyn...I still don't know exactly how these names would have worked.
    The extremely overused and generic "Dragoon" for which a quick search of the word will give you about five different franchises... does fit Dratini as it also comes from the "dragons associated with lagoons" myth.
    Dragyn... might be from Dragon+Wyvern or something. Still, it's another generic dragon name.
    Last edited by Infinity Mk-II; 25th September 2012 at 11:13 AM.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries
    Follow RainbowSylveon On Twitter Add RainbowSylveon on Facebook
    Follow RainbowSylveon on Tumblr Visit RainbowSylveon's Youtube Channel

I think Skulkraken is pretty epic. xDD

But others, likes Dragyn, are too generic...
    Claims: Oshawott, Ice Body, Magmarizer, Griseous Orb (July 1, 2012) Cross Poison (September 26, 2012)

Tumblr | Twitter | Playthrough Blog

Fennekindle ==> RainbowSylveon

Blog Entries

Pudding, Custard , jilly, Man O war, Slowmo, Sleeper, Ny, La, Ess, Att! Some wierd names!
    Also theres a growlithe I found on another web and its beta name is Burnie
    Get your game on!

Blog Entries
    Follow VeggiePopper On Twitter

While I disliked most of thenm, for the reasons already mentioned, some of them I liked, like Skullkraken (epic name); as for Hocus and Pocus, well, those are magic words that have a similar use as Abra and Kadabra, almost synonim, so I have always wondered why they changed those names when they are exactly the same (in meaning, of course). And the Machop line early names I loved them so much that still as of Generation IV I still nicknamed all my Machop 'Kara-tee' (I haven't done it in Gen V because I'm still yet to catch one; I've only focused in Unova Pokémon).

Pt: 5285 3562 3697- Veggie
    SS: 5156 5108 0540- Dany
    B1: 0175 8413 2944- Popper
    B2: 1163 7552 4502- Jonatan
    3DS: 1418-6718-4136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast