The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites? - Page 3

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

Quote Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
    Ugliest was any Pokemon on your side in Yellow. The opponent's Pokeon were nice looking, but yours look like crap.
    Red and Blue as well. Just freaking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by fhqwhgads View Post
    Ugliest was any Pokemon on your side in Yellow. The opponent's Pokeon were nice looking, but yours look like crap.
    That's because the Pokemon on your side on Pokemon Yellow are the same back sprites used on Red and Blue. But at least I am used to the back sprites, and Blastoise looks kinda good from the back there.

Shuppet and Banette looked really bad in the 3rd gen games, they didn't look like themselves

But Diamond and Pearl fixed that and they look fine now I love there new sprites

Registered User Arseus Ex Machina's Avatar

Need I remind you how Mime Sr. (that's what I'm calling Mr. Mime now)changed?

http://www.legendarypokemon.net/pokedex/Mr.Mime/imagery

Mime Sr. originally had four finger's, now it has five. Yet the FR/LG sprites have Mime Sr. with four fingers. Weird. 0_o

Also, in Pokemon Red and Blue and Green, when Poliwag evolves into Poliwhirl, the swirl on its stomach DOES NOT change direction! Later games such as yellow and the GS games corrected this.

Speaking of Poliwag's family, Poliwrath's idle stance for the 3-D games has changed. In Stadium 1 and 2 (or Stadium 1,2 and 3 for those on the Earth Hemisphere) Poliwrath keeps on flexing its arms. Now it's leaning over and pounding its fists together.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokencyclopedia View Post
    Need I remind you how Mime Sr. (that's what I'm calling Mr. Mime now)changed?

http://www.legendarypokemon.net/pokedex/Mr.Mime/imagery

Mime Sr. originally had four finger's, now it has five. Yet the FR/LG sprites have Mime Sr. with four fingers. Weird. 0_o
    No. Ruby and Sapphire had Mr. Mime with four fingers on one hand, and five on the other. FrieRed/LeafGreen and Emerald corrected this problem and gave Mr. Mime five fingers on both hands. In D/P, Mr. Mime also has five fingers. In R/B/Y and G/S/C, Mr. Mime had four fingers.

It makes me wonder that after they made the mistake in Ruby and Sapphire, they decided Mr. Mime looked better with five fingers and stuck to that...

Ken Sugimori usually draws Mr. Mime with a thumb and four fingers (a thumb is NOT a finger!)...

But the sprites in Red and Blue and Yellow and Gold and Silver and Crystal are most likely based off of the earlier art Ken did, such as this earlier Mr. Mime concept art...

Note that this Mr. Mime artwork depicts him with a thumb and THREE fingers! Also, he just has simple dots for eyes, of course, I could be wrong.

who drew that ugly thing Porygon's Avatar

The Mr. Mime thing probably had more to with the whole thing Japan has against showing symbols of the Yakuza gang in their chatacters.

"Yubitsume, or finger-cutting, is a form of penance or apology. Upon a first offense, the transgressor must cut off the tip of his left pinky finger and hand the severed portion to his boss....(When a British cartoon, Bob the Builder, was first considered for import to Japan, there were plans in place to add an extra digit to each of the title character's four-fingered hands to avoid scaring children.)"
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakuza

In recent years Donkey Kong characters have gained an extra finger after moving from the British company Rare, to Nintendo.
    blogosphere

[quote]When a British cartoon, Bob the Builder, was first considered for import to Japan, there were plans in place to add an extra digit to each of the title character's four-fingered hands to avoid scaring children.[/qupte]
    I see idotic censorship isn't exclusive to America.

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Well...doesn't Arbok's Pokedex information say that the markings on it's chest vary from area to area?

Shuppet seems to have taken on the appearance he get in the anime.

To be honest, I never noticed Mr. Mime's new finger until now. .-.

The ugliest sprites are found in the old games, but the coolest are also found there. I think these looks much better than Why has its wings got so small?
    Also this gas Pokémon is cool, while the newer ones looks like cannon balls.
    I think this is one of the coolest sprites:
    I think the old Pikachuu looks better than the new. The old one's body is more round and it looks more cute, and it's supposed to be a cute Pokémon isn't it? Its ears looks like rabbit's ears in the new art. My favorite Pikachuu sprites in the games is Blue version and Yellow Pikachuu version.

About the back sprites in the old games, Gyarados looks better there than in the new games. Look it has scales:
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    Well...doesn't Arbok's Pokedex information say that the markings on it's chest vary from area to area?
    That's the idea I've been under, since it has varied quite a bit from game to game.

Old Haunter is hardcore.

And Swampert's always had such ugly sprites. He's pretty ugly in general to me, though. He looks pretty cool in the 3D games, though.

Blog Entries
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy On Twitter Add Turtle Tamer Kammy on Google+
    Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Tumblr Follow Turtle Tamer Kammy on Flickr

I like the old sprites. They look closer to actual animals as opposed to the newer ones.

[quote]"Yubitsume, or finger-cutting, is a form of penance or apology. Upon a first offense, the transgressor must cut off the tip of his left pinky finger and hand the severed portion to his boss....(When a British cartoon, Bob the Builder, was first considered for import to Japan, there were plans in place to add an extra digit to each of the title character's four-fingered hands to avoid scaring children.)"[quote]

No wonder human characters in Japanese anime are drawn with five fingers instead of four.

Anyway back on topic: Machop, Machoke and Machamp have definitely changed for the better.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_066.png
    http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_067.png
    http://archives.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Image:Spr_1b_068.png

I mean, BLECK!! They don't even LOOK as muscular as they do now.

Page 3 of 63 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 25th February 2013, 12:41 PM