The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites? - Page 2
Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The UGLIEST Pokemon sprites?

Post Thanks / Like

True. But sugimori art shows only one pokemon usually. So, therefore, it doesn't say that all have to look exactly like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I kind of like the old sprites over the newer ones... most of the time. Even so, admittedly, they ARE ugly and all. XD

venusaur.png">
    But, dear God... Somebody get a chainsaw, the poor thing is being squished to death!

But picking on Red/Green sprites is easy. So I'll poke fun at some of the newer ones.

raticate.png">
    Maybe it's just me, but its neck looks broke or something. And the one front leg looks odd the way it is.

slowpoke.png">
    I don't know what's wrong with this, but it just doesn't look like Slowpoke. Might be the head shape or the excessively humped back. And I don't think 'pokes tail is quite THAT fat.

jynx.png">
    Granted, this one is not really anymore ugly than any other Jynx. Just very funny; it looks like it's screaming and running away from something. XD

Post Thanks / Like

I first saw the ugly Pokemon sprites when I saw my friend playing Pokemon Red. I always wondered why they looked different then. But MY first Pokemon Game Boy game was Pokemon Yellow, so I was lucky too. Yellow was the game that started the whole trend of designing the Pokemon correctly in the games, except for the back sprites, which were recycled from Red and Blue, but that wasn't much of a problem.

Not only that, but they redesigned some of the trainer sprites, too. In Yellow, your character in the game looks more like Ash Ketchum, and your rival looks more like Gary Oak.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile726 View Post
    The Sugimori art was different from the sprites as well, so don't you dare blame this on the anime. Anyway, my first game was Yellow, so thankfully I was spared most of this.
    Plus I'm sure the Sugimori art was made before the sprites.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dandeco View Post
    I first saw the ugly Pokemon sprites when I saw my friend playing Pokemon Red. I always wondered why they looked different then. But MY first Pokemon Game Boy game was Pokemon Yellow, so I was lucky too. Yellow was the game that started the whole trend of designing the Pokemon correctly in the games, except for the back sprites, which were recycled from Red and Blue, but that wasn't much of a problem.

Not only that, but they redesigned some of the trainer sprites, too. In Yellow, your character in the game looks more like Ash Ketchum, and your rival looks more like Gary Oak.
    This is why I mainly blame the anime. People expect it to be like it, when it doesn't have to be.

And I stated my explanation towards the sugimori art already.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's alright if you want to see a 'realistic' world with variances between the species but, other than alternate colouration (shiny Pokémon), that's not how it works in canon. There is one design for each species unless there are significant grounds for a small difference. (The Sparky clause.) Then you have the gender differences introduced in D/P but...

Y'know, this post isn't turning out as I had hoped. =/

And as for Raticate... that's the one sprite I don't like in FR/LG. It's the teeth.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Never been a fan of RB Growlithe, it just doesn't really look like it, more like a normal dog.

Post Thanks / Like

And everyone hates normal dogs.

Canon. Canon as in anime? Yes. The rest it isn't really. Sure, it implies it, but it doesn't say it specifically.

Get it? So there, no more reason for me to post in this thread. Sorry about that.

BackwardsMan, huh? NoodleChefKyle's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raichu's R/B sprite isn't necessarily ugly, but it's just so fat!

Kabuto's sprite is even worse. You can't even see the eyes underneath.

Maddie Blaustein, 1960-2008
    You will be missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. The early Pikachu sprites also make him look fat, too. But at least he's kinda cute in Red and Blue, but not as cute as the later games. Ken Sugimori's original Pikachu artwork also depicted a fat electric mouse Pokemon.

Post Thanks / Like

Totodile in D/P.

Poor little guy.

May the Aura be with you. FabuVinny's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Swampert looks much better on four legs than on two. The expression doesn't help either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

As far as R,B,Y is concerned I always thought that the three legendary bird's sprite's were pretty ugly along with the Pigeot sprite which looks like its had its wings glued to its side.
    Blastoise and Venusaur look bad as well. In fact I could be here for ever so I'm gonna stop now.
    Last edited by Wolvorn; 21st January 2007 at 02:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ugliest was any Pokemon on your side in Yellow. The opponent's Pokeon were nice looking, but yours look like crap.

∠(>w<) #634 Argy's Avatar Retired Staff
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Argy On Twitter
    Add Argy on Linkedin

Don't forget that D/P sprites should be animated, so the still sprites we have might be in transitory poses.

Page 2 of 63 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast