The Trainer House Glitch That Wasn't A Trainer House Glitch

Thread: The Trainer House Glitch That Wasn't A Trainer House Glitch

Default The Trainer House Glitch That Wasn't A Trainer House Glitch

First of all, let me say that I have never used a GameShark or any cheating device with this game. The battery may be dying, but I've played this game normally since it was new.

Secondly, symptoms of this ARE documented, as "Trainer House glitch", but this is not the same thing. In fact, this happened before I even went into Kanto. Besides, half the symptoms of that glitch don't apply here.

So, back on track...

I have a Magnemite with Mail attached to it. It's a pain in the ass, and I never use it. Yet, it stays in my party, because I cannot move it into a PC box. Every time I try, it says "Remove MAIL". When I attempt to remove the mail, it says that my box is full. On more than one occasion, I've almost completely cleared out my box down to about five messages, yet it's still marked as full. It also fills itself back up with whatever I've deleted. I'm sure you can see my problem.

Oh, did I mention that the mailbox is filled with 30 to 40 glitchy messages?

Here's a video of it, along with some pictures.
    Pokemon Gold - Mail Glitch - YouTube

(Yes, it's black and white. More on that later.)

Now here's where I have a question.

Several messages are either titled "GREEN" or have the body text as "GREEN".

I was reading up on R/B on JUL today, and noticed this:

In Pokémon Red, there is VRAM tile data on the title screen for 'GREEN'. Unsurprisingly, this is not viewable in normal gameplay. In Pokémon Blue, respective data for 'RED' does not exist.
    I thought this might be somehow related, since G/S/C and R/B have the same engine. it's a real shot in the dark, I know, but it's all I could come up with.
    I've been told that "GREEN" has something to do with localization, but that doesn't explain why it's in my mailbox!

As a side note, I used to be able to put a piece of mail in my Pack, then sell it to a Pokemart for $1200. I tried to represent this through pictures.

I want to get rid of this piece of shit!

Fine with me!

...?!

Glitch Dimension?! WTF

Let's try it again on a "GREEN" message.

I don't mind.

Fffffff

I have no clue what is even happening to my game.

Default Re: The Trainer House Glitch That Wasn't A Trainer House Glitch

Okay, so someone explained to me what was happening with the mail.

The mail is stored as a list, terminated at the end by... something. That something is not there, so the game continues loading more mail. When you try deleting a message, the rest need to move up one space; since there's nothing marking the end of the list, the game tries to move everything up by one. That obviously cannot work, and at some point it either triggers an automatic reset or somehow manages to jump to the boot code.
    I did a bit of further testing on this.

Total messages: 43

Everything except the last message seems to be normal. The last message either gives me the Glitch Dimension or a purple screen (the purple screen message has an identifier of 250).

Another interesting observation is that the messages' titles and contents change while I scroll through them. For example, when I went on my deletion spree, everything was completely blank.

...Wait a second.

I just deleted all of my messages except for seven or eight.
    The last of which gave me the Glitch Dimension.
    I did not save.
    My Mailbox is now empty.
    The one piece of Mail I had attached to my Magnemite, which had no title and had "GREEN" in the body, is now in my Mailbox and is the only message there.

I just fixed my own problem, though I'm not too certain what the hell just happened.