Is there any point to the Hoenn Battle Frontier?

Thread: Is there any point to the Hoenn Battle Frontier?

Default Is there any point to the Hoenn Battle Frontier?

You'll have to excuse me, I just got back into Pokemon after years away from it, and so I'm a n00b as to anything past Generation II.

So, do I get anything for getting through all the Frontier Brains? Other than Symbols and impressive records, I mean. My brother says you apparently get a rare Pokemon (I've already caught Sudowoodo and Smeargle), but he was telling me through hearsay of his own, and we all know how accurate the spoken word on Pokemon tends to be.

In any case, I'm having serious trouble with it. It's taken something like this for me to realize how badly I've relied on having my PKMN at higher levels than my opponent's to beat them. Now that the levels are all matched up, even with all my PKMN being well enough in the strong category and beefed up using all the Calcium etc. they can take, I've still only managed to defeat Pike Queen Lucy, and only gotten about halfway through the Arena, Tower and Palace before getting brutally pwned. I made it all the way to Pyramid King Brandon once, but he drove me into the ground. I'm sure you've all had frustrating moments like this, but that was sure a doozy. I actually had to use a breathing exercise to calm myself down after that.

At least items are disallowed, 'cause I reallllly hate it when you whittle an opponent down into the red, and their trainer uses a Hyper Potion on it.
    Last edited by kenisu3000; 26th February 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Typo. I said "beffed" instead of "beefed." It's what's for dinner!

Default Re: Is there any point to the Hoenn Battle Frontier?

hey kenisu :D

Blog Entries

Here are all the items that can be won from the Battle Frontier:

* Silver Shield (after winning 50 battles)
    * Gold Shield (after winning 100 battles)
    * Lansat Berry (after getting all seven Frontier Symbols in Silver rank)
    * Starf Berry (after getting all seven Frontier Symbols in Gold rank)

There is also value in using the Battle Points you earned to teach Pokémon various moves with the Move Tutors.
    I still can’t believe my dragons lost to you, Red! You’re now the Pokémon League champion! …Or, you would have been, but you have one more challenge ahead. You have to face another Trainer! His name is… Blue! He beat the Elite Four before you. He is the real Pokémon League champion! -Lance

Excellent, thanks for that, Trainer-c! I was beginning to be afraid the reward was just bragging rights!

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    hey kenisu :D
    Oh, hi! Starmen.net Angela, I presume? Sweet, I didn't know you were here too. :D

Blog Entries

I think you've answere your own question there, the point is to test your skill.

Blog Entries

I just think it's a tougher challenge that you finally get when you complete the game

WOW! The Op just described the exact thing I went through after I took a breather after Generation II so I know exactly where he's coming from especially when he says that he's relied to much on having his PKMN at a higher level and I too have only beaten Pike Queen Lucy once and got to Brandon but was pwnd as well.

You have to start learning up on EV training if you haven't already and really have a good strategic team of pokes. I have yet to beat it myself.

As for the point of it, I guess Pokemon was becoming to easy for some ppl and beating the elite four just wasn't enough anymore so Game Freak decided to make a fun yet ridiculously hard challenge in order to feel authentically proud of your skills.

Blog Entries

Well, you could also look at it as a way to help you raise stronger Pokemon...

I mean, when I first stepped onto the shores of the Battle Frontier, I tried some of the challenges. And yes, Pike Queen Lucy was my first win. After a few tries, I was also able to beat Tucker, and I only used my main Elite-Four-Pwning Team...

However, I needed stronger, tougher Pokemon if I wanted to collect all of the Symbols. I had to study Team Building, Breeding, Effort Value Training, and the like just to get stronger Pokemon. It made getting the Ability Symbol a bit easier to obtain.

If you want to go into competitive battling, you can always use the Battle Frontier to motivate you to learn how to raise competitive Pokemon. Other competitive players raise Pokemon who were built to battle. If your Pokemon can make it in the Battle Frontier, then they can stand a chance against competitive players.

Credit goes to knight22, a deviantART user.

Blog Entries

Winning competitibe battles is way easier than the Battle Frontier. That and you learn the competitively battle--somewhat, before winning the Battle Frontier.