THEORY: Team Aqua/Team Magma's Backup Plan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: THEORY: Team Aqua/Team Magma's Backup Plan

Blog Entries

Default THEORY: Team Aqua/Team Magma's Backup Plan

Throughout Ruby/Sapphire, you will encounter either Team Aqua or Team Magma multiple times doing various deeds in order to further their plot to catch Kyogre/Groudon.

Seems simple enough right?

And indeed the weather legendary plot really is that straightforward. However, some of the details suggest that they also had a backup plan in case Kyogre/Groudon didn't work out.

When the player character first arrives in Lilycove City, they are unable to Surf east from the town due to a Wailmer blockade. A grunt from Team Aqua/Magma is seen standing in front of them telling Wailmer to leap out of the water.

It is easy to assume that he just wants the Wailmer gone so they can leave. But you could also come to the conclusion that he is actually TRAINING the Wailmer in order to get one to evolve into a Wailord. Keep this in mind.

Later on in the game, Team Aqua/Magma steals a submarine. They use it to go to the underwater cave where Kyogre/Groudon reside, obviously. But if you remember the original intent of the submarine, things become less clear.

Captain Stern wanted to use the submarine to look for a "rare deep sea pokemon." The only thing fitting this description is Relicanth, considering how common Chinchou and Clamperl are. Since the submarine was designed to look for Relicanth, it would be easy for the team to casually pick one up on their way to the underwater cave.

Now when you combine the Wailord from their training in Lilycove and the Relicanth from the submarine, Team Aqua/Magma has the necessary tools to open the Sealed Chamber.

My theory is that Team Aqua/Magma devised this clever backup plan to capture the Regi trio in case they were unable to catch Kyogre/Groudon.

What are your opinions?

Future Frontier Brain

Default Re: THEORY: Team Aqua/Team Magma's Backup Plan

I hadn't even thought of that. And I also wondered why they didn't seem interested in the Regi Trio, but now you make me think they might've had something planned for them.

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

It makes for interesting speculation. But Captain Stern's purpose for the submarine need not be the same as that of the thieves, as it evidently wasn't. His primary purpose was to find Relicanth, supposedly. But that wasn't what Team Aqua/Magma primarily sought, if they even had a backup plan or secondary use for the sub.

So, again, it makes for interesting speculation. There isn't enough from the game to infer that (secondary considerations for the theft of the sub, primary and secondary considerations for the Wailmer blockade/"training" [as that was relatively unexplained--though it mostly served to keep you put until you went ahead with the soryline], yada yada yada), though it is somewhat plausible.

They also would need motives for capturing the Regis. Aqua wanting to raise the sea level, and Magma wanting to expand land--they'd have to have reasons for believing the Regis capable of doing so.
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Sounds interesting. But, what if they wanted Regigigas (to fuck around with the continents)? Wouldn't that mean they would have to attack Sinnoh at some point, too, which is where the big guy is entombed?

Blog Entries

Nice theory. Many key arguments make sense.

But, are the Regis useful for them? I mean, they don't seem that powerful, at least not to conquer/destroy/modify/whatever the World. Take Brandon as an example, he has 3 Regis, yet, he's a regular trainer.

Unless they had a way to increase their power...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zervah View Post
    Unless they had a way to increase their power...
    Put them near Regigigas. Alone, or simply as a Trio, they're pretty much just basic powerhouse Pokemon. With their master around, however...... Shit may hit the fan....

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

As I always like to say, correlation doesn't imply causation. Just because the facts line up doesn't mean that the assumption is true. When you remember Team Aqua/Magma's ulterior motive (to increase sea size/landmass), the regis don't make sense. Sure, maybe you could get regigigas and move continents, but that doesn't accomplish their means at all. While an interesting proposition, I'm going to have to say that this idea is implausible.

Blog Entries

but it would make sense if the two teams started to work together to get regigigas, they would then make regigigas toe all the continents together, this would therefore make a larger body of water and a larger mass of land
    (they dont realise its still the same size)

Blog Entries

That theory does make sense. Alone, the Regi Trio doesn't make anything about expanding the oceans or the continents. But they could use it for awakening Regigigas, which could be used for moving the continents and creating larger continents or oceans-though the total of land or water in the Pokémon world wouldn't change.
    bennett likes this.
    Originally said by Albert Einstein
    Only 2 things are infinite:the universe and human stupidity. Though I'm not sure about the first one.

Blog Entries

Follow Owain on Tumblr

Finnaly someone who also tought of that!
    when i played R/S/E i had tought of that and when DP came along it further increased my ideas....

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have only three words to describe my thoughts on this topic.

Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

And their motive for catching the Regi-Trio? These Pokemon are not a means to their ends, they wouldn't provide then what they need.

Furthermore, their back-up plan is much more convoluted as it involves not only the activation of the Sealed Chamber, but also figuring out the puzzles within each Regi cave and finding out where these caves even existed.

Then there's the matter of them having only one Masterball and three legendary Pokemon to capture. Groudon and Kyogre at least had magic orbs that bent their wills to their owners (or at least tried to).

Taking Gen IV into account, they would likely use it to summon Regigigas. But then what? It doesn't do what they need it to, and the fact that this mission spans two regions make it a highly unprobable back-up.

tl;dr, to what end would they awaken it?

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What the hell would team aqua/magma do with the regis if there plot is to expand the land/sea?

Registered User PokemonLeagueChamp's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Team Aqua might freeze everything with Regice, and when it melts it'll be underwater? Magma would use Regirock and Registeel to create more landmass? IDK. I suppose it's a possibility, but this is all based off some far-reaching speculation.

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

This... actually makes sense to a degree. I'm a little surprised that nobody who mentioned Regigigas mentioned the fact that it allegedly towed the continents into place. Wouldn't continent-towing abilities be pretty useful to both Aqua and Magma?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast