Sp. Atk + Sp. Def stats calculation in Gen II from Special stat in Gen I

Thread: Sp. Atk + Sp. Def stats calculation in Gen II from Special stat in Gen I

Question Sp. Atk + Sp. Def stats calculation in Gen II from Special stat in Gen I

nidokingstats.jpg

Using BGB as the emulator (it's the best for Game Boy and Game Boy Color ROMs), I linked up a Japanese Red V1.1 ROM with a Japanese Crystal ROM. I traded this Lv55 Nidoking from Red to Crystal but this screenshot was taken before the trade.

What I want to know is how does the Generation II game calculate the Special Attack and Special Defense stats from the Special stat in Generation I. I ask this because I thought at least one of the values would be shared with the Special stat from Generation I but they're both different, unless the games are rounding up numbers somehow. As it can be seen in the screenshot, my Nidoking has a Special of 106 in Generation I but a Special Attack of 118 and a Special Defense of 107 in Generation II.

So, what is going on here?

Default Re: Sp. Atk + Sp. Def stats calculation in Gen II from Special stat in Gen I

The base Special stat is passed onto either Special Attack or Special Defense (or both), but the actual stat is also dependent on several additional factors (DVs/IVs, level and Stat Experience/EVs). Trading recalculates the stats, so I assume that your Nidoking had leftover Special EVs (even in Generation II, both Special Attack and Special Defense share the EV for Special to maintain compatibility) which raised its Special Attack (but not Special Defense due to a rounding effect) upon being traded. But the fact remains that Nidoking's Special Attack base stat was derived from its Special base stat.

Default Re: Sp. Atk + Sp. Def stats calculation in Gen II from Special stat in Gen I

Quote Originally Posted by Silktree View Post
    The base Special stat is passed onto either Special Attack or Special Defense (or both), but the actual stat is also dependent on several additional factors (DVs/IVs, level and Stat Experience/EVs). Trading recalculates the stats, so I assume that your Nidoking had leftover Special EVs (even in Generation II, both Special Attack and Special Defense share the EV for Special to maintain compatibility) which raised its Special Attack (but not Special Defense due to a rounding effect) upon being traded. But the fact remains that Nidoking's Special Attack base stat was derived from its Special base stat.
    Thanks for the explanation. Are the articles on Bulbapedia about this matter accurate and complete when it comes to calculating Stat EXP. and DVs?

Quote Originally Posted by SatoMew View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. Are the articles on Bulbapedia about this matter accurate and complete when it comes to calculating Stat EXP. and DVs?
    They're nearly complete, but they don't spell out everything. For instance, the fact that stats are recalculated during trades isn't mentioned there.

They're nearly complete, but they don't spell out everything. For instance, the fact that stats are recalculated during trades isn't mentioned there.
    So, should I calculate them as per the values from Generation I and then as per those in Generation II?

So, should I calculate them as per the values from Generation I and then as per those in Generation II?
    What exactly do you want to do? The only difference you need to account for in Generation II is the different base stat for Special Attack/Defense. What happened to your Nidoking isn't normally the case; its Special stat would have raised by one point even if you had traded it to another Generation I game, or simply deposited it into your box.

What exactly do you want to do? The only difference you need to account for in Generation II is the different base stat for Special Attack/Defense. What happened to your Nidoking isn't normally the case; its Special stat would have raised by one point even if you had traded it to another Generation I game, or simply deposited it into your box.
    Well, I want to calculate its Stat EXP. and DVs.

Well, I want to calculate its Stat EXP. and DVs.
    Since only its actual stats are viewable, you have to keep track of its Stat Exp. points to be able to calculate its DVs. The simplest way to do that is to maximize its Stat Experience (which almost always happens by level 100), rather than actually keeping a record of the stat yield it gains from its opponents (which is unfortunately the case in later generations due to the EV cap). You can tell that a Pokémon's Stat Exp. points are maxed out if the its stats aren't affected by vitamins or by depositing it after a few battles.

If you have enough Rare Candies, you can raise an untrained Pokémon to level 50 while keeping its Stat Exp. points at zero. That will make the DV calculation completely accurate, and you can just reset your game after you're done.
    Last edited by Silktree; 14th October 2012 at 11:12 AM.

If you have enough Rare Candies, you can raise an untrained Pokémon to level 50 while keeping its Stat Exp. points at zero. That will make the DV calculation completely accurate, and you can just reset your game after you're done.
    I have a Nidoran in Crystal so I'll try cheating to get more Rare Candies and get it to lv50. But should I evolve Nidorino into Nidoking before it reaches lv50?

I have a Nidoran in Crystal so I'll try cheating to get more Rare Candies and get it to lv50. But should I evolve Nidorino into Nidoking before it reaches lv50?
    It doesn't matter. As long as the level is at least 50, the DV calculation will be accurate regardless of which species is involved. In case you don't know, DVs are fixed.

so many pokemon would be broken if special wasnt split hell mewtwo,reshiram and chandelure would be monsters

Blog Entries

Another thing you could do is make an in-game save, close the emulator and open up the .sav file in a hex editor and track down the Stat Exp. and DVs there. If you don't know how to do that, I could teach you how.

Dangan Ronpa avatar and sig pic by me. Bases from here.
    My Dangan Ronpa sprites are also available in avatar size!
    3DS Friend Code: 1177-7801-6992. Friend Safari is Psychic with Abra, Espurr and Xatu. If you add me, let me know!