So...what's your opinion about the new Mystery Dungeon Games?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So...what's your opinion about the new Mystery Dungeon Games?

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Default So...what's your opinion about the new Mystery Dungeon Games?

Sorry if there's already a thread about this, I didn't see one, so...

I think the title about sums it up. What do you think about the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles, Explorers of Time/Darkness?

Myself, I never played Red or Blue Rescue Team, so I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked up Explorers of Darkness. I haven't beaten the game yet (far from it, I'm only on chapter 7 or so), but so far I find it mildly amusing. I get to be a Charmander running around with a Chikorita who wastes the PP of good moves we're gonna need for a boss battle and leaving my money to 'Rest in Peace' with a Duskull -- woot?

Going through the dungeons has it's fun moments, sure, but unless you train every waking second at Marowak Dojo, some of the dungeons can get a little rough. Mt. Bristle gave me a HELL of a time, I can tell you that.

But what's anyone else think about them?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Personally, I was never too fond of the idea of running around in dungeons constantly... but, I decided, Hey, why not give it a shot? I haven't gone to regret that decision since. (I chose Darkness, by the way.)
    What kept me glued to the game was the plot. The plot is amazingly intricate. You think you know everything, then Bam! Something that you would have never guessed happens.
    What got me the most, though, were the amount of trials and heartbreaks. There will be certain scenarios in the future (I don't want to spoil it for you) that will just tug at your heartstrings. I found tears in my eyes multiple times in this game . . . It's just so deep. The characterization is extremely well done, and as such you get to love every character after a time. Sure, it starts off slow, but it's so worth it in the end.

Fan of Smash Bros. AND/OR Mewtwo? Check it...
    Keep the flame alive.~

Blog Entries

This thread is quite a coincidence to me since, after having the game ever since its release, I finally started to play it just last week. I had already played Blue Rescue Team, so I knew what to except. But wow, I thought the plot for the first pair of games was deep for a Pokémon game. Mystery Dungeon 2's plot... jeez. The plot twists genuinely shocked me a few times.

I'm a Bulbasaur with a male Chimchar partner. 8D Being able to use Sleep Powder is an Arceus-send.

Anyway, I've been stuck in the "final chapter" for three days. It's so freakin' hard. o.o; Talk about a difficulty spike.

By the way, anyone who's played this game has go to watch this slightly spoilerfic video. Do it.
    Last edited by Lil Brother; 24th July 2008 at 09:58 PM.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

Blog Entries

I have yet to open up my MD2. I kind of finished Blue Mystery Dungeon, but I really want to be able to go through all of it, not just the main story line(which I have already done).

Hopefully MD2 will be a little be more enhanced that the regular MD. From what the 3 of you have said so far... MD2 sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Blurrz View Post
    I have yet to open up my MD2. I kind of finished Blue Mystery Dungeon, but I really want to be able to go through all of it, not just the main story line(which I have already done).

Hopefully MD2 will be a little be more enhanced that the regular MD. From what the 3 of you have said so far... MD2 sounds great!
    Indeed so... The only flaw I have found with it is that some (thankfully not all) of the mechanics used in the original Mystery Dungeons have returned... but were toned down considerably, in my opinion. They've added more elements to assist you rather than "kill" you.
    Ah, another unfortunate flaw is that . . . once you recruit all the Legendaries and Pokemon, and have "truly" defeated the whole story... it just feels kind of completed. It's not as fun to level up a Pkmn in Mystery Dungeon as it is in the original Pokemon games (Diamond/Pearl and the like), and so that may deter you a bit. And once all's said and done, as mentioned above, there's really no reason to go back. It's like playing a solo-player game (Zelda) and completing it. There's really no other reason to go back unless you want to complete mini-quests and the like . . . But, I guess everyone's opinions and likes are different.

Other than those mentioned above, it truly is a worthy successor to the original Mystery Dungeons, and deserves to be praised for actually being better than them with added elements that actually are useful.

Fan of Smash Bros. AND/OR Mewtwo? Check it...
    Keep the flame alive.~

Live Long And Prosper... Wonder Happiny's Avatar
    On Paradise Island, playing Bullets and Bracelets
    Blog Entries

I've finished Explorers of Time, and let me tell ya, it's a bloody addicting game! The gameplay, the music, and the characters are unforgettable.

Credit goes to PlatinumDude for the sprite.

Quote Originally Posted by Spock
    In the family, all is silence. No more will be said of it. Live long and prosper, Sarek of Vulcan.

Blog Entries

Well! It seems like I'm one of the only ones who's not completely satisfied. But then again, I am very early in the game, so I'll reserve judgement for the moment.

I take it there's no evolution in these games, then...? :( crap...

"He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

I realized why I couldn't get past the part I was stuck on... I had somehow forgotten the existence of linked moves and hadn't used them for the entire game. DX And I was such a whore for linked moves in MD1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald_Dragonite View Post
    I take it there's no evolution in these games, then...? :( crap...
    That comes up later. Much later.
    Video Game Collection & Wishlist

IMPORTANT REMINDER:
    It's just the Internet. Calm down.

i have red dungeon nd its good, its pretty cute too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FuneralSound View Post
    i have red dungeon nd its good, its pretty cute too
    This thread's about the second Mystery Dungeon games, Explorers of Time and Explorers of Darkness -- not about the Red and Blue Rescue Team games.

Pocket Full of Sunshine Charmander009's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It was very good! I love the plot line, twist and turns all over, and that you can see the pictures of every pokemon! ... i might say i liked it even better than the last one...

I never get bored with playing it over and over!

I love Darkness!
    In Black and White, Rock Smash is no longer an HM. Good riddance.

Default Great Game!

Hey i got this game through the post the morning it came out and went straight to my ds and started playing. (By the way i pre-ordered it on amazon :P) But overall this game is a very fun game since i played the first in the series and i knew it would be awesome and it didn't let me down. Great graphics, great plot (its very...very deep :P) and yeh i rate it 10/10 good job nintendo!

Did anyone else get past the graduation?
    In Black and White, Rock Smash is no longer an HM. Good riddance.

Fury will consume you! Olaf-symbiote's Avatar
    Blog Entries

These games are amazing! I loved the first ones and I love these even more. The plot is cool and the soundtrack feels so epic( like MD R/B).
    Dr. Jeremiah Surd from The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest is my all time favorite villain, beating even Ganondorf from the Zelda series!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast