FAQ: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5) - Page 63
Page 63 of 355 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573113163 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5)

4 Days To Go! Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Quote Originally Posted by StoneKold View Post
    Then my last question is how people get the exact IVs of pokemon. Sometimes I'll see people give a IV spread, like 23/24/13/24/29/31. I wonder how they pinpoint it so exact.
    When a Pokémon is level 100 you can get the exact IV range. With level 50, it's usually 50-50, but actually EV training it can help round it down to a more exact number.

Also, if they RNG, they can manipulate the exact IV.

Plasbad for short Minimiscience's Avatar

Then my last question is how people get the exact IVs of pokemon. Sometimes I'll see people give a IV spread, like 23/24/13/24/29/31. I wonder how they pinpoint it so exact.
    If the IV calculator you're using supports multiple "stat snapshots" (statshots?) as input, use a Rare Candy on the Pokémon several times, record its stats at each level, and enter them all in for a more accurate result. If the calculator can only take one set of stats at a time (or if you're lazy), use autoleveling to temporarily get the Pokémon to level 100, look at its new stats, and just use those.

As always, you can also use an AR or some other bit of technology to check the IVs directly instead.

EDIT: And another question, I'm breeding some pokemon, and I think something is wrong with the natures. Here Nature - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia, it says Adamant raises attack and lowers Sp. Attack. But in my game, it has it listed as the opposite. Is it a glitch affecting all games or just mine?
    You're probably just mixing the colors up. The stat in red is increased, while the one in blue is decreased.
    I fear naught but save file corruption.

Pearl FC: 0303 6397 4251
    HeartGold FC: 0260 6900 8265
    Black FC: 0819 3491 8420

I've been doing the musical solely for the sake of the trainer card star. I thought I had everything as I haven't gotten any new props in five to ten performances, despite having won most of them. I know I have the props handed out by special people (the Santa stuff from the guy in Opelucid City, the electric guitar from the musician, everything the owner gives you under different conditions). In fact, I know exactly what I'm missing.

Is this just bad luck? Are props harder to get as you get more of them? Is there some special condition I am missing?

Hello again. I recently bought the French version of pokémon white - just as much for the language as for the trade benefits. But I'm confused. I traded some pokémon over from my French version onto my English Black version - and there doesn't appear to be any sign at all that the Pokémon in question are from the White version - Dewott has his French name, Mateloutre, but that's it. Have I overlooked a button somewhere to view the Pokédex entries in French? A little symbol somewhere to show he's foreign? This is mainly for trading purposes - I'm worried that if I attempt to breed for shinies, I won't be able to use the Masuda method because my English Black version doesn't recognise that I've traded some Pokémon over from a French cartridge?

Thanks for your help on this,
    Jack

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LanguageSponge View Post
    Hello again. I recently bought the French version of pokémon white - just as much for the language as for the trade benefits. But I'm confused. I traded some pokémon over from my French version onto my English Black version - and there doesn't appear to be any sign at all that the Pokémon in question are from the White version - Dewott has his French name, Mateloutre, but that's it. Have I overlooked a button somewhere to view the Pokédex entries in French? A little symbol somewhere to show he's foreign? This is mainly for trading purposes - I'm worried that if I attempt to breed for shinies, I won't be able to use the Masuda method because my English Black version doesn't recognise that I've traded some Pokémon over from a French cartridge?

Thanks for your help on this,
    Jack
    Unfortunately there's not much way to tell, and since the Pokémon you chose are Unova ones, even less. Gen I-IV Pokémon you can access multilingual Pokédex entries by tapping a button underneath their picture in the Pokédex, but because the BW entries hadn't been translated into all the languages on release, they're only available in the game's home language. With Japanese and Korean you can also tell via the different character sets in the OT name, but French doesn't have such a difference afaik.
    As such about the only way to confirm your Dewott's region would be to trade it to someone who can view it on a PC and read the language byte, as far as I know. It should be possible to make a Gameshark code to show it somehow, but I don't know if there is one made. Though don't worry about the game not recognising it, as long as it was obtained in a French version, even if it evolves from Mateloutre to Samurott, it'll be marked French in its data.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesun View Post
    Unfortunately there's not much way to tell, and since the Pokémon you chose are Unova ones, even less. Gen I-IV Pokémon you can access multilingual Pokédex entries by tapping a button underneath their picture in the Pokédex, but because the BW entries hadn't been translated into all the languages on release, they're only available in the game's home language. With Japanese and Korean you can also tell via the different character sets in the OT name, but French doesn't have such a difference afaik.
    As such about the only way to confirm your Dewott's region would be to trade it to someone who can view it on a PC and read the language byte, as far as I know. It should be possible to make a Gameshark code to show it somehow, but I don't know if there is one made. Though don't worry about the game not recognising it, as long as it was obtained in a French version, even if it evolves from Mateloutre to Samurott, it'll be marked French in its data.
    So, just to spell it out for me completely, as long as it's marked as French in its data (and I'm pretty sure it will be as it's from a French language cartridge), I'll be able to use it for breeding for shinies?

Thanks! Jack

Blog Entries
    Follow hurristat On Twitter
    Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by LanguageSponge View Post
    So, just to spell it out for me completely, as long as it's marked as French in its data (and I'm pretty sure it will be as it's from a French language cartridge), I'll be able to use it for breeding for shinies?

Thanks! Jack
    Yes, you'll be able to use it.

content reblog tumblr | dumb reblog tumblr | if youre able to figure out like seven or eight of these characters than we are going to be friends.

Blog Entries
    Add Serenity on Facebook
    Follow Serenity on Tumblr Visit Serenity's Youtube Channel

I'm having a problem out of my Wi-Fi. I can't seem to battle/trade with anyone in the United States, but I can with anyone who is from a different country. I've temporarily disabled my firewalls, I've tried leaving then entering again, but nothing works.. When it says the other player wants to join me (for a battle), it pretty much freezes. Then, it says " person has failed to respond" even though they have.

Am I the only one with this problem?

Blog Entries

Is Double Kick a good move to breed onto a Blitzle/Zebstrika?
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drakon View Post
    Is Double Kick a good move to breed onto a Blitzle/Zebstrika?
    IMO, yes. I have it and it comes in handy a lot. It's not super powerful, but useful in a lot of situations.

I also have a question:
    I have looked around getting different information from everyone, so I would like to see if anyone here can tell me:
    Is it possible to get a reckless hitmonlee with double edge legally?
    (tyrogue->XD Tutor->Transfer to gen IV->(Clone if need be?)Evolve and hope?
    Last edited by Damarziman; 13th August 2011 at 11:34 PM.
    Spending way to much time on Final fantasy to be here at all :/

Black FC: 0948-1540-2278
    I will NEVER trade you (or accept) something hacked / not legit! Read about it here on bulbagarden.
    (Oh, And the Skype indicator is broken. I am online on and off, even though it says i'm never on.)

Blog Entries

[EQUOTE=Damarziman;3452256]IMO, yes. I have it and it comes in handy a lot. It's not super powerful, but useful in a lot of situations.

I also have a question:
    I have looked around getting different information from everyone, so I would like to see if anyone here can tell me:
    Is it possible to get a reckless hitmonlee with double edge legally?
    (tyrogue->XD Tutor->Transfer to gen IV->(Clone if need be?)Evolve and hope?[/QUOTE]

If you can transfer said Tyrogue to a Generation III handheld, I don't see why this can't work.

If Reckless is a Dream World ability, then you're out of luck.

-----

Two questions:

If Generation V Pickup "swipes", say Morimoto's Petaya berries, do I get to keep the item after battle?

I plan to replace Liepard with Bisharp. Should I teach it Aerial Ace by TM or transfer over a Kadabra and breed Psycho Cut onto it?
    Last edited by Drakon; 14th August 2011 at 12:52 AM.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Blog Entries
    Follow hurristat On Twitter
    Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Default Re: Older Games: Simple Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by turtlekid View Post
    alright but which ones should I actually teach to my team?
    Does "your team" include HM slaves?

content reblog tumblr | dumb reblog tumblr | if youre able to figure out like seven or eight of these characters than we are going to be friends.

I heard some talk about Elesa's speech being changed a lot between the japanese and american version.

What does the japanese one say? (No idea which of those few times you meet her it is referring to. :/)

no, but moves such as fly and surf I have no problem teaching because they are useful

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by turtlekid View Post
    no, but moves such as fly and surf I have no problem teaching because they are useful
    You'll find that the use of some TMs (Flash, Rock Smash, Strength) is mostly limited to areas like caves, so you can have on HM slave that you only use for those areas.

It's also worth mentioning Wailord, which can learn five HMs and is necessary for a sidequest later in the game. Always a useful Pokémon to have.