FAQ: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5) - Page 58

Page 58 of 346 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Simple Questions / Simple Answers (Gens 1-5)

Default Re: Simple Questions/Simple Answers v.4 (Gen IV/V)

Hi guys,

Just want to check before I potentially shell out money for nothing - I want to use the Masuda method to start breeding for shinies. For that I need a foreign game cartridge, so will either buy one from France or Germany. I'm not sure exactly how it works though. My DS was bought in England and I currently play the games in English. I guess what I'm asking is, if I order, say, White from France, so the game will be played in French, will the new French version be compatible with my English DS? This is potentially a very obvious question to which I imagine I probably know the answer already (ie yes, it will be compatible), but I'd still like to check in case I waste £30. Thanks/Merci beaucoup/Vielen Dank :]

Jack

Forget it. Managed to fix it myself.
    Last edited by Roobertoober; 4th August 2011 at 05:14 AM.
    Avatar used with permission from Evilsherbear on DA! (http://evilsherbear.deviantart.com/) Check her gallery out! DO IT. B|

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by LanguageSponge View Post
    Hi guys,

Just want to check before I potentially shell out money for nothing - I want to use the Masuda method to start breeding for shinies. For that I need a foreign game cartridge, so will either buy one from France or Germany. I'm not sure exactly how it works though. My DS was bought in England and I currently play the games in English. I guess what I'm asking is, if I order, say, White from France, so the game will be played in French, will the new French version be compatible with my English DS? This is potentially a very obvious question to which I imagine I probably know the answer already (ie yes, it will be compatible), but I'd still like to check in case I waste £30. Thanks/Merci beaucoup/Vielen Dank :]

Jack
    Why not just buy the game in your country/language and then get a foreign Ditto/foreign pokemon to Masuda with? The game itself doesn't have to be foreign, just one of the pokemon you are breeding with.

Quote Originally Posted by Roobertoober View Post
    Hi, me again. >_>; So I'm trying to breed an Elekid on the Platinum I mentioned previously. Guy has a male Electivire and I went out and caught a female Electabuzz, stuck 'em in the day care. So according to Bulbapedia, they should be:

(Dunno if an evolution counts as a separate species or not, but they're the same percentage, so whatever.)

But he says "The two don't seem to like each other much." instead. Which sucks if I get a lame nature for the Elekid and try again, because instead of a 50% chance of an egg, it's 20%. D:
    Is this even a question?
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Quote Originally Posted by Switcheroo View Post
    Why not just buy the game in your country/language and then get a foreign Ditto/foreign pokemon to Masuda with? The game itself doesn't have to be foreign, just one of the pokemon you are breeding with.
    I could do that, but as my nick suggests, I'm a language geek, so I will really enjoy playing the games in other languages for the benefit of the languages themselves - for me it's not just about the benefits the game gives from foreign trading. Would the scenario I suggested above work? Thanks,

Jack

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Having never purchased or tried to play a foreign game on my DS I can't give you a 100% answer on that. I know people that own French games and Japanese games and they work on their DS, but whether they had any problems with it, I don't know.

Probably best you wait to see what anyone else has to say first. Sorry I haven't been much help.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Aren't games region locked?

Here we go:

The Nintendo DS is region free in the sense that any console will run a Nintendo DS game purchased anywhere in the world; however, the Chinese version games can only be played on the Chinese iQue DS, whose larger firmware chip contains the required Chinese character glyph images. Although the Nintendo DS of other regions cannot play the Chinese games, the iQue DS can play games of other regions. Also, as with Game Boy games, some games that require both players to have a Nintendo DS game card for multiplayer play will not necessarily work together if the games are from different regions (e.g. a Japanese Nintendo DS game may not work with a North American Nintendo DS game, even though some titles, such as Mario Kart DS and Pokémon Diamond and Pearl versions are mutually compatible). With the addition of the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, certain games can be played over the Internet with users of a different region game.
    Some Wi-Fi enabled games (e.g. Mario Kart DS) allow the selection of opponents by region. The options are "Regional" ("Continent" in Europe) and "Worldwide", as well as two non-location specific settings. This allows the player to limit competitors to only those opponents based in the same geographical area. This is based on the region code of the game in use.[citation needed]
    The Nintendo DSi, however, has a region lock for the DSiWare downloadable games, as well as DSi-specific cartridges. It still runs normal DS games of any region, however.
    Quote from Wikipedia.

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by LanguageSponge View Post
    Hi guys,

Jack
    Keep in mind that right now, even DSi-enhanced games can be not region-locked. Case in point - non-Japanese versions of Black and White. The English versions are not locked, and I'm pretty sure most other European versions are not locked, either.

Also, the region locking applies only if you have a DSi, DSi XL (LL for Japanese folks), or a 3DS. And it won't apply in this case. Just don't import a Japanese copy, and you'll be able to run it.

It's possible to do the Masuda method without involving the Internet at all by trading between games of different languages, to be safe.
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Thanks very much for your replies, guys. Really helpful :]

I have a brave Blastoise, and I am debating its moveset. Regardless, it has Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and either Focus Blast or Brick Break. I am debating either Earthquake or Signal Beam. Which would be a better option?
    FC(HG): 3524 9429 0931

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by The_Terror View Post
    I have a brave Blastoise, and I am debating its moveset. Regardless, it has Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and either Focus Blast or Brick Break. I am debating either Earthquake or Signal Beam. Which would be a better option, Earthquake (deals with electric/poison) or Signal Beam (takes care of psychics)?
    Well, Brave isn't a particularly great nature for Blastoise. However, as Brave increases attack (and there's not much difference between its Attack and Special Attack stats), I'd recommend going with Earthquake.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Terror View Post
    I have a brave Blastoise, and I am debating its moveset. Regardless, it has Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, and either Focus Blast or Brick Break. I am debating either Earthquake or Signal Beam. Which would be a better option, Earthquake (deals with electric/poison) or Signal Beam (takes care of psychics)?
    I'd gow with Earthquake aswell and with Brick Break instead of Focus Blast.

I'm noticing a trend and I want to know if I am right so I can stop wasting my time gathering abras from my PC before going to the entree forest. Is it just my imagination or does synchronize do nothing there?

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by thetifftiff View Post
    I'm noticing a trend and I want to know if I am right so I can stop wasting my time gathering abras from my PC before going to the entree forest. Is it just my imagination or does synchronize do nothing there?
    I think it doesn't work there, you'll just have to keep resetting until you get the nature you want :/

Is that So? Lo? Sis? Steel_Justice's Avatar

Do legendaries (except the dragon at N's castle) reset if you ko them? If they do when do they respawn? And does it work for the roaming genie and Volcarona?

Screw the rules I have a Mudkip Motorcycle!
    3DS Name: Kyle
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4828-5602-4809
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Flying type: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Justice View Post
    Do legendaries (except the dragon at N's castle) reset if you ko them? If they do when do they respawn? And does it work for the roaming genie and Volcarona?
    Victini automatically respawns if KO'd if you walk outside Liberty Garden Tower after. As for the others Im not 100% sure. Im assuming they will respawn after battling the Elite 4